The source of the enmity between the sheep & us?

joburgbear

Was thinking about this on the back of last week, was it due to the assault by Simpson on Durrant? Or the 90-91 title decider & the 2nd goal? or a combination of things? why did they get so bitter?

we played numerous cup finals against Aberdeen in the mid and late 80s, there was snide tackles flying in all over the place, Willie Miller wasn't shy either for dishing out some thuggery.

Durrant assault probably upped it a bit.

Aberdeen tried to plant a story around the final day of 90-91 season that McCoist was leaving and Walter had called a meeting with the hacks and gave them a mouthful for printing the story knowing it to be pish.

They've hated us long before then, I first went to Pittodrie in 91 and the hatred was there. I think many of them felt that Ferguson and the 80's were the new normal and they'd always be top of the tree or thereabouts, Souness took that away from them, I like to think their treble runners up season finished them off in 93.

I hated Aberdeen games up till 86, they had a fantastic team and we rarely beat them, I was at secondary school in Dunoon from 82 till 88 and those first four years were tough, amazing the amount of Aberdeen fans back then in a wee West Coast town :rolleyes:

I don't hate Aberdeen because they simply aren't worth it. Their fans are scumbags but are more deserving of pity than anything else.

I find it funny that they consider us to be their rivals when I'd be willing to bet if you asked the average Rangers fan they'd tell you that the only time they'd ever go out of their way to find out the result of an Aberdeen score is if they were playing the yahoos in which case we'd all most likely be supporting Aberdeen. Some rivalry, that.

I can remember going up and staying over and there was never a hint of problems , the Alex Ferguson years and the rise in the casual movement started at the same time and built up by media is to blame to start with , Simpson’s tackle and attitude by them towards it started the hatred from our side as before they were an irrelevance

They've hated us long before then, I first went to Pittodrie in 91 and the hatred was there. I think many of them felt that Ferguson and the 80's were the new normal and they'd always be top of the tree or thereabouts, Souness took that away from them, I like to think their treble runners up season finished them off in 93.

I hated Aberdeen games up till 86, they had a fantastic team and we rarely beat them, I was at secondary school in Dunoon from 82 till 88 and those first four years were tough, amazing the amount of Aberdeen fans back then in a wee West Coast town :rolleyes:

This is a decent summary. Fergie stoked the “hatred” by giving them a mindset of them against the world, but us winning the league there with big Butchers header and the place rammed with our fans ramped it up. Add in Durrant and our success which they were jealous of and it all adds up.
I first went up in 86 and it was pretty bad even then. But I do know my bus before I joined used to stay up in Aberdeen till late on Saturday night before it came home, can’t imagine you’d get away with that now. Would be trouble all over the place.

Dick Gordon talks about how he grew up in the 70’s and his family are all sheep and he was taught at a very early age to hate us. Shows that it was way before that shitebag Simpson’s tackle on Durrant.

we played numerous cup finals against Aberdeen in the mid and late 80s, there was snide tackles flying in all over the place, Willie Miller wasn't shy either for dishing out some thuggery.

Durrant assault probably upped it a bit.

Aberdeen tried to plant a story around the final day of 90-91 season that McCoist was leaving and Walter had called a meeting with the hacks and gave them a mouthful for printing the story knowing it to be pish.
Some of them would claim that Willie Johnston stamped on the throat of one of their players at a game at Ibrox in 1980.

This is a decent summary. Fergie stoked the “hatred” by giving them a mindset of them against the world, but us winning the league there with big Butchers header and the place rammed with our fans ramped it up. Add in Durrant and our success which they were jealous of and it all adds up.
I first went up in 86 and it was pretty bad even then. But I do know my bus before I joined used to stay up in Aberdeen till late on Saturday night before it came home, can’t imagine you’d get away with that now. Would be trouble all over the place.
I’d say when Ferguson went there he amped up the alleged west coast bias of sfa and media. At that time it was Aberdeen v Rangers or the Paedo wing.

From the point Souness walked in the door, sellick became irrelevant to the rest of Scottish football and Aberdeen in particular.

A rivalry created entirely be the sheep. They had no obvious rival locally so they decided to start hating us. Way back in their heyday, Sir Awex also used it as a spur to gee up his team before matches.
When the casuals scene came along they used that to feed their delusions as well.
Even when the mhedia started all the "New Firm" pish they largely ignored Dundee United.
And they were obviously feart to hate celtc in case they were labelled anti-cafflick bigots.

It's always been like the spotty specky kid trying to get the attention of the class top dog.

Last edited:
A few incidents going back to the 70s ramped up by Ferguson when their manager

Also, they are too scared to make enemies of Celtic, who were more of a rival to them late 70s early 80s and whose fans attacked Strachan with a bottle at Parkhead

Also, wee man syndrome. They really want to be us but never will be

combination of a number of things, they had a brief flirtation with being top of the pile in Scotland, were slapped down, the Durrant injury and subsequent horrendous abuse, and I think in general (apologies to Northern bears) they dislike us because of West of Scotland

A club from a relatively small town that found itself it at the heart of the north sea oil boom, and the finance that came to the city and surrounds due to that.. the success that a former player of ours brought to them gave their support a sense of self importance that was well outwith the reality of who they were. Rangers under souness soon brought their delusion to an end , and a whole support has never been able to cope with the reality that they are no more than a provincial irrelevance..

Jealousy is a part as well as the hatred fergie planted on their heads about the bias referees giving Glasgow clubs everything. Strange this hatred never reached celtc . Maybe wanted an alliance with them. A fud team for years and will be for the future. Getting worse and worse season by season. Long may it continue to relegation I hope.

Alex Ferguson is the reason.

If you read his book and watch his recent documentary, he felt like he had something to prove against Rangers.

It was the fuel for his whole career to be honest, his words.

But the wanting to get it up us, rubbed off, and the Durrant injury topped it off, the sheep casuals wanting a name for themselves also added to it.

Uppity cunts had a good couple of years 30 years ago and thought they had made it.
They should have been relegated twice but were saved by rules changing and other clubs not being able to afford all seater stadiums.
Work with a lot of Aberdeen fans and they hate us, I'm indifferent to them as I don't care.

Wee Bud stamping on McMasters throat wouldn’t have helped and possibly where it started in the early 80s?
That wouldnt have helped but my recollection was an incident between Rougvie and big DJ. I found this,

In his first season in charge Alex Ferguson guided Aberdeen to the League Cup Final where they faced the much-fancied Rangers. With the game perfectly poised at 1-1 referee Ian Foote flashed a red card at Doug for an off the ball incident with Derek Johnstone. Unfortunately, the TV cameras missed the incident but you do quite clearly see Doug slump to the ground in utter despair after Foote gave him his marching orders. In his post-match interview Alex Ferguson said “Rougvie swears on his mother’s life he did not touch Johnstone”. Doug became the first player to be sent off in a League Cup Final. I wanted to know from him how he personally dealt with that injustice. “At that time, I was playing centre-half. Alex McLeish was on the periphery of the team back then. I had played a few games leading up to that cup final, but the sending-off was just one of those things; players get sent-off all the time now, but it was very unusual for somebody to get sent-off in a final back then. I made history that day as I was the first player to be sent-off in a League Cup Final, but I felt it was unjust. Big Derek Johnstone still swears to this day that I cracked him across the back of the neck during the game. I’ve seen him many times since then and I still tell him he’s a ‘f**king liar’. I always remind him that I never touched him and he took a dive,” Dougie laughs!! “There was a slight coming together and he took a wee dive, but that’s football, and that’s just one of those things, nothing to be upset about now”.

Source : https://allybegg.com/doug-rougvie-fergie-was-in-my-face-it-was-so-hard-not-to-laugh/

Ratcheted up big time in the 80’s, for a few reasons probably
Derek Johnstone lying sparked on the Hampden turf and Doug Rougvie getting sent off in the LCF 1979
The Willie Johnston/John McMaster incident in 1980
The whole casual movement in the 80s led to several tasty clashes both at Pittodrie and Ibrox
Hugh Burns and Craig Paterson both sent off whilst Willie Miller and Neale Cooper got away with murder, East Enclosure spilled onto track that day as well, absolute carnage outside afterwards 1985
Us winning the league at Pittodrie and taking the goalposts home wouldn’t have gone down well 1987
Simpson’s butchery of Durrant in 1988 brought it to wider attention
As mentioned before Souness ending their dominance contributed towards their hatred as well, they had won the league in 80, 84 and 86 as well as the Scottish Cup in 84,85 and 86
Celtic were a mess come the late 80s and Aberdeen were our main competition in the premier league for a good few years, but they have been largely irrelevant since about 1993/94

1979 lcf rougvie fighting with dj I think, 1980 dj nutting mark mcghee, mcmaster being stood on by W. Johnston 2 legged lc tie at Ibrox these games were the smoke for starting the fire.

Ratcheted up big time in the 80’s, for a few reasons probably
Derek Johnstone lying sparked on the Hampden turf and Doug Rougvie getting sent off in the LCF 1979
The Willie Johnston/John McMaster incident in 1980
The whole casual movement in the 80s led to several tasty clashes both at Pittodrie and Ibrox
Hugh Burns and Craig Paterson both sent off whilst Willie Miller and Neale Cooper got away with murder, East Enclosure spilled onto track that day as well, absolute carnage outside afterwards 1985
Us winning the league at Pittodrie and taking the goalposts home wouldn’t have gone down well 1987
Simpson’s butchery of Durrant in 1988 brought it to wider attention
As mentioned before Souness ending their dominance contributed towards their hatred as well, they had won the league in 80, 84 and 86 as well as the Scottish Cup in 84,85 and 86
Celtic were a mess come the late 80s and Aberdeen were our main competition in the premier league for a good few years, but they have been largely irrelevant since about 1993/94
The late ally dawson liked a throttle or 2

Pretty well summed up. Fergie had them revved up to beat the Rangers, and TBH, they often did. when Souness came in, they were to re-quote "knocked off their fucking perch." Not only did we win, but they couldn't handle the swagger. Aberdeen as a city wasn't the goldrush it was in the late 70's, early 80's, so the whole thing was collapsing around their ears.

Our bus up there in a bar the day Butcher scored that header to secure the league, big round of drinks bought before heading up to the stadium and the barman tried to bump us for a vodka that he never poured and got caught...could be that started it.
:))

I've go back to 1978-79 leaguecup final when we beat them 2-1 Colin Jackson scoring the winner in the 92nd minute and they were upset rougvie got sent off for an infringement on DJ

Back