The source of the enmity between the sheep & us?

The fact Aberdeen hate us is the highest compliment they can give us.

From talking to a 50s something Aberdeen fan in my work it’s because they set their sights on us to be the biggest club in the Scotland and the main Protestant one to rival Celtic.

Was thinking about this on the back of last week, was it due to the assault by Simpson on Durrant? Or the 90-91 title decider & the 2nd goal? or a combination of things? why did they get so bitter?
Durrant tackle , before that our club used to go up for the whole weekend in Aberdeen ,
No hassle . Now we get bussed in and out , without even stopping for a beer

I think that the oil up there didn't help as all of a sudden they thought Aberdeen was the bees knees & they became very arrogant.

The fact Aberdeen hate us is the highest compliment they can give us.

From talking to a 50s something Aberdeen fan in my work it’s because they set their sights on us to be the biggest club in the Scotland and the main Protestant one to rival Celtic.

I think I'd piss myself laughing if a 50yo Aberdeen fan said that to me, was he serious?

Hearts are more their level to set their sights on :)

Living up here, I've always felt it stemmed from not just being knocked off their perch but kicked off and spending the remainder of the decade as also-rans. Also-rans quickly turned into mid table obscurity relying on mid-season rule changes from the beaks to avoid relegation and it's been relative anonymity since 95 onwards until their much lauded league cup with in 2013.

No doubting that Sir Alex Ferguson was an incredible manager but he seems to be a toxic,twisted man who wanted things his own way all the time.
The man's an arsehole as are his offspring. He also has a weird fetish for Irish politics.

The bottom line was, and is, it goes way beyond football and has done since the late 70s where in truth it all began.

Aberdeen, and Aberdonians, have since then taken huge offence to the numbers of “west coasters” who came up here due to the oil boom (mainly engineering and machinists like my own dad in ‘86) The truth to that is that we and others came to the area then and since due to the fact the locals did not have the skills or intellectual know-how. A fishing village of idiots which became an oil epicentre through incomers and they hate it.

Alex Ferguson.
Fergie created it as he wanted to make a Aberdeen relevant.
At the time, Rangers were not a strong as they had been historically so his wind-up patter, and some positive results against us, led to it being considered an important fixture.
As far as I’m concerned, they are not rivals but irritatingly they turn up against us because they think it matters

They consider our west coast sheep to be of an inferior quality, for the purposes of miscegenation and interbreeding so have a ‘superiority complex’ regarding their northern Ovis Aries.

Had this out many a time with sheep followers in that I can accept the whole Glasgow west coast thing , but can never accept why exactly they don't reserve that same contempt for the world's most despicable club.

The shitebags couldn't have handled it when the mhedia inevitably called them anti kafflick bigots.

Their hatred of us ramped up in the 80's due to Ferguson wanting to knock the club after his playing career was ended with us. We have a massive following up here and that pisses them off. I enjoy reminding them that if it wasn't for the large influx in the 80's from the west coast broadening the gene pool then they would still be marrying their cousins.

Was thinking about this on the back of last week, was it due to the assault by Simpson on Durrant? Or the 90-91 title decider & the 2nd goal? or a combination of things? why did they get so bitter?
The battle of Queen Street 1986.When the “famous” ASC got absolutely demolicated by The even more Famous ICF.
They never recovered.

It’s because we have loads of supporters in the North East (like everywhere else in Scotland).

309990-BD-15-DB-426-B-93-C9-662-A81-EB3-A2-A.jpg
I don t know how anyone can suggest the Highlands and Islands have a minority Rangers support. Out of all the football fans there, I'd say we are out of sight % wise, always have been.

I don’t know the exact reason as I was away from Scotland and the UK in the 1980s

However, up until the end of the 1974/75 season we only played each other twice per season, one home match and one away match.

So the Aberdeen weekend was the big away match of the season for us (now) older Bears.

In these matches at Pittodrie there must have been at least 10k or 15k or even more Bears in attendance, with many staying over for the famous ‘Aberdeen weekend’ (which many of us had saved up for).

We (my friends) used to stay with Aberdeen fans in the Northfield area of the city, and while we supported our teams from different parts of Pittodrie on the Saturday afternoon, we’d drink together on the Saturday night, and on the Sunday a football match/kick about would be arranged for us.

Yes there was a football rivalry back then, but no hatred.

They've always been bitter verging on pro IRA going back to the seventies,mind going to a game v them up at pittodrie when as a 14yr old they were chanting IRA stuff.

The bottom line was, and is, it goes way beyond football and has done since the late 70s where in truth it all began.

Aberdeen, and Aberdonians, have since then taken huge offence to the numbers of “west coasters” who came up here due to the oil boom (mainly engineering and machinists like my own dad in ‘86) The truth to that is that we and others came to the area then and since due to the fact the locals did not have the skills or intellectual know-how. A fishing village of idiots which became an oil epicentre through incomers and they hate it.
The West coast, you say?
TELEMMGLPICT000148383303_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq9JDW0GB3yTh_udwyLypdaEIDn2wLIZ4COznZCrmMSag.jpeg

I remember in first year uni in student halls a hearts supporter asking the sheep fan why they picked the team that wins stuff all the time as a rival. I was laughing and he was raging. Jambo was serious though not on wind up.

I remember reading something about when Rangers came to town they practically took over the city, which pissed a few people off , the oil boom, their casuals and having a decent team for a few years under Ferguson changed the narrative and the hate grew from that I think..

Hugh burns and paterson getting sent off at Ibrox, mid 80s was a mental game , especially if you were in the west enclosure like me.

I was in the Copland as a 15yo

I’m sure the crowd spilled onto the pitch such was the rage at Hewitt’s dying swan act before taking a free kick from which they scored.

Goes back to the Ferguson.seige mentality he built and to be fair served them well. Simpson followed that and in general they're just a bunch of of inbred cu5ts with a seriously deluded vision of their ability
. 90'91 was a beautiful day....hateley terrorised their keeper Michael Watt I think it was...you could visibly see him shaking....a bit similar to the mhanks Ian Andrews at the similar era

I was in the Copland as a 15yo

I’m sure the crowd spilled onto the pitch such was the rage at Hewitt’s dying swan act before taking a free kick from which they scored.
The crowd indeed spilled on and the players were took off.
Its was the polices fault though.

Back