The source of the enmity between the sheep & us?

The arrival of the Aberdeen casuals in the 80’s decently upped the ante.pittodrie in the 80’s was not for the faint hearted.i seen more running battles with the Aberdeen casuals in the 80’s than I did when we played the yahoos.a good few at Ibrox to.

My auld man had a theory, that it was down to the oil boom up there and none of the locals having any skills other than sheering sheep. So they had to turn to the more industrialised west of Scotland for skilled labour.
Their shitey wee town was then over run with Glaswegians earning substantially more money than them and most of those were Rangers supporters as the tims all had rickets and/or were workshy.
Hence the bitterness towards us in particular but most things "Weegie".
I have to say, it's not a one way street on my part. I hate Aberdeen almost as much as I hate the mentally challengeds!

combination of things

- the Ferguson era & his siege mentality against the Glasgow grip on trophies
- the arrival of Souness, the re-emergence of Rangers as winner & Aberdeen pushed back to an irrelevence

capped off with the Durrant assault
that ramped it up into something sinister - that their scum fans still revel in the brightest talent in Scotland effectively having his career curtailed by jobber slop like Simpson is disgusting

Rangers and Aberdeen fans were quite friendly until Alex Ferguson became their manager and then it all changed.

It's much older than the Simpson /Durrant incident. I don't recall any bad feeling between the clubs until the 1979 League Cup Final when Rougvie was sent off and we won with a last minute goal. From then on, every time we played them, Ferguson kept on about perceived bias by the media in our favour (stop laughing Bears!) and the supposed advantages referees gave us, especially in Glasgow. Before then Rangers were always welcome in Aberdeen and it was always a good day out.

The huge upsurge in The North East economy as a result of the oil gave the locals an inflated belief as to their status in Scotland's football hierarchy. Speaking to some older sheepshaggers over the years and they mention the Willie Johnston stamp on McMaster in 1980 as the spark that led to the hatred. Pretty lame & unconvincing on its own but I believe that arsehole Ferguson acted as the petrol to the flame and stoked the hatred and it's now become a generational hatred passed from father to son. Having lived up here for over 25 years now I can safely say I hate every fuckin' one of them!

They had their half decade of fame when they lorded it over a poor Rangers team, egged on by Alex Ferguson. When Souness came along and knocked them off their perch (and Fergie saw what was coming and jumped ship) they couldn't hack it.

The fact they've got nothing better going on in their lives sums it up today.

No rivals of their own so they hang a huge importance on hating us when we only bother to think about them 4 days a year

They are desperate to be our rivals, fact is they were good for a wee while then we blew everyone away and they never recovered and they can't handle being a tin pot diddy club who we don't really care about.

I was told by an Aberdonian it was nothing to do with football.

It was to do with the number of bears who settled in the Aberdeen at the beginning of the oil boom.

Aberdeen didn't have the expertise to deal with the nitty grtty of the oil industry. Glsgow, Clydeside and North East England did. The Glasgow / Clydeside guys were overwhelmingly bluenoses. These guys moved up there and many of them stayed.

Their sons, daughters, grandsons and granddaughters are still there, and are all bluenoses. Thousands of them. That's the source of their annoyance. We are in their midst.

So I was told.

Goes back to Alex Ferguson days - or possibly before (for those older than me).

The hatred was already there when Simpson done Durrant (1988). Could be argued that if it wasn't - then it wouldn't have happened.

1985-6, we had 2 reds against them in a 3-0 defeat at home when we had a decent start to the season. Also a mini-pitch invasion.

It was to do with the number of bears who settled in the Aberdeen at the beginning of the oil boom.

Aberdeen didn't have the expertise to deal with the nitty grtty of the oil industry. Glsgow, Clydeside and North East England did. The Glasgow / Clydeside guys were overwhelmingly bluenoses. These guys moved up there and many of them stayed.

Their sons, daughters, grandsons and granddaughters are still there, and are all bluenoses. Thousands of them. That's the source of their annoyance. We are in their midst.

So I was told.
Yip!! Im one!

I don’t remember much hatred towards them when they were playing in the ECWC Final in 1983.

By 1985 that had certainly changed from my perspective. Games up there became really nasty off the park. I wonder if it was the oil cash filtering through and Aberdeen becoming a wealthy oil city rather than a northern town. This gave some of them wealth and arrogance which allowed them to buy into the casual movement which was just starting. Then you had Alex Ferguson and his abrasive style.

Was it a perfect storm? A brash young support with plenty of money, the casual phenomenon, an emerging football team and the personality of Ferguson?

Wee Bud stamping on McMasters throat wouldn’t have helped and possibly where it started in the early 80s?
That's my recollection.
We were in the Paddock for the return leg, and bricks, bottles along with anything that could maim anybody went back and forth between the two sets of fans.

It’s because we have loads of supporters in the North East (like everywhere else in Scotland).

309990-BD-15-DB-426-B-93-C9-662-A81-EB3-A2-A.jpg

I would agree that Alex Ferguson stoked it up, the Simpson tackle took it to another level.

Lets be honest, Aberdeen like to treat us as their rivals as Bradford City do to Leeds. Leeds just laugh at the wee shitty club as do we with them.

So I was told.
I prefer that version to anything on a football field.. just really getting in their heads.

I’ve found most Aberdonians I’ve met to be incredibly thin-skinned and while they are happy to dish out a bit of banter/abuse, as soon as it comes their way they are like a wounded animal.

The idea of an Aberdeen and Rangers rivalry though… we certainly had to shift past them in the pecking order during the mid-80s but since then, and certainly after 1993, they were really nowhere to be seen as far as a consistent challenge to Rangers (or Celtic) is concerned.

A Celtic fan once told me that Aberdeen were playing at the Piggery, must have been around the 2000/01 season or so, and their fans were singing, “We hate Rangers more than you”.
Tin pot nonsense.

Drew Jarvies combover
McNeil being their manager prior to Ferguson added another reason
Ferguson calling DJ a cheat took it to another level which he exploited until he left
Them voting in support of the filth taking more of the financial spoils

There fans have always been kunts as far back as I can remember. Couple of my pals were Morton fans and I tagged along with them for a day out late 60s, the sheep were at home to Morton in a cup tie. We got into a scrap on the way back to the bus, and what seemed like dozens of them appeared we had to leg it back to the bus, which then got stoned.

whe

That breakdown for Dundee can’t be right… I know Dundee Utd don’t sell out that stadium every week but someone must support them?
I think it only counted top flight clubs and United were in the Championship when the image was made in 2018 (?).

They are a two bob irrelevance. I always content myself thinking we signed their best player and captain in Ryan Jack. Rangers best player or captain would never ever leave for Aberdeen.

They started getting a bit big for their boots when that clown Ally McLeod was their manager but Ferguson ramped up the animosity big time,

I think it only counted top flight clubs and United were in the Championship when the image was made in 2018 (?).
That makes more sense of it.. the overall picture certainly paints Rangers as the traditional team of Scotland right enough.

Which must utterly twist the mind of our football and perceived “political” rivals.

It really annoys me that this one-sided nonsense is allowed to continue, especially via the media. We could end it once and for all if a Rangers Manager at a pre-match Press Conference just demanded the ref clamp down on Aberdeen's " over-enthusiasm " in this fixture. Let's face it, it suits the Sheep more than us for them to be allowed to kick us off the pitch due to some bizarre " rivalry ".

It goes back further than Durrant/Simpson. I remember it becoming intense after Fergie went up there, probably because he felt Rangers shafted him when he played for us and wanted desperately to beat us.
It’s started when Fergie made them into a force. He set up a siege mentality. There had been bad blood after Wee Bud stamped on John MacMaster iirc.
before Fergie we had no issues with them really

Aberdeen fans are like Scotland fans.

Scotland fans biggest game is against England and celebrate a draw, even if that's all they do that year.
England don't really care about Scotland except they just want to beat them.

Aberdeen is the same with us.
We just want to beat them and that's it.
A great away day though.

I disagree with the Fergie thing as he told them Glasgow hated Aberdeen.

But they have a love affair with them.
Don't call them Abergreen for nothing,

They've hated us long before then, I first went to Pittodrie in 91 and the hatred was there. I think many of them felt that Ferguson and the 80's were the new normal and they'd always be top of the tree or thereabouts, Souness took that away from them, I like to think their treble runners up season finished them off in 93.

I hated Aberdeen games up till 86, they had a fantastic team and we rarely beat them, I was at secondary school in Dunoon from 82 till 88 and those first four years were tough, amazing the amount of Aberdeen fans back then in a wee West Coast town :rolleyes:
I had same but in Aberdeen same as that lot never really got any hassle until the souness revolution and they couldn’t take it when we were back it’s like de ja vu we these cunts

Definitely cranked up by Ferguson. Many supporters clubs stayed overnight or till midnight in the early seventies and little trouble. Some pubs weee mixed bar/lounge with us and them. His outrage after the Willie Johnston incident was classic Ferguson. Durrant had a world class career taken away from him, McMaster played and scored 3 days after the Willie Johnston incident.

Season 77-78 they beat us 4-0 3-0 3-1 in the league and 3-1 in the league cup, however a 3-1 win for us in the league, a 6-1 league cup win and a scottish cup final win by 2-1 earned us the treble leaving them gutted with nothing.
The rougvie cup final last minute defeat just piled on the hate.

I don't care why they hate us, they all look and act like they are extras from that Hills Have Eyes movie and thus I don't even try to rationalise their strange mentality

They try way too hard in the, we hate Rangers the most league.

The rivalry is all in their heads

Dick Gordon talks about how he grew up in the 70’s and his family are all sheep and he was taught at a very early age to hate us. Shows that it was way before that shitebag Simpson’s tackle on Durrant.
This is what I believe too. My old man went to Aberdeen in the 50's to watch us, staying with relatives, and couldn't believe the anti-Rangers attitude there. He had no idea why either, and we've family who played for & managed the sheep.

Alex Ferguson is the overriding reason.

His Aberdeen team almost flattened the ref anytime a decision went against them, they hated losing and could not handle it.

Ferguson first Man Utd teams were very similar. They were mostly detested by all other fans due to their constant moaning when things went against them.

They think they’re a big club. Had a bit of success and we’re genuinely on par with us at one point… they failed to capitalise long term and can’t deal with it.

Long before Durrant's injury. Ferguson arrived there in 1977, and immediately got them worked up about the Glasgow press and refs favouring us and the vermin. Their supporters just lapped that up...

I think Ferguson’s siege mentality approach was the catalyst.
I can’t explain why it’s only with Rangers and not the other lot though.
Maybe they were aggrieved at the Rougvie ordering off in the cup final.
Another point re Ferguson comes from when Wallace resigned in 1978.
Ferguson expected the job and was livid when it wasn’t offered.
Moving on to 1983 and Greig’s resignation, Ferguson, and this bit is a bit of conjecture, ruled himself out of consideration before any offer was made.
Of course, Aberdeen’s self entitlement being removed when Souness was appointed and Simpson’s assault on Durrant just poured fuel on the fire which has never been quelled, thirty three years on.

The Johnstone/Rougvie incident in the '79 League Cup Final went a long way to things kicking off.

After that game, Ferguson began his campaign against the West of Scotland (with Rangers getting most of the abuse both on and off the field).
This nails it

Back