The SPFL Split - Insanity gone mad

7th normally end up with more points than 6th because 6th play teams like us,the scum, sheep etc. whilst 7th play all the dross at the bottom. How people don't grasp this fact baffles me.
Well they play less of those post fixture games than the regular season vs everyone else so that's no reason for a higher overall total.

Mainly pulled this nonsense from the MLS, which is even more messed up as they have uneven games, but here we go...

In a 12 team league you play home and away for a regular season of 22 games. Maybe the winner gets the top CL spot and some sort of fans shield like they do in the MLS.

The teams that finish in the top 8 go into a mini-league, starting at 0 points, playing an additional 14 games for the "SPFL Cup" and additional European spots. The bottom 4 would be joined by the top 4 from the Championship in a similar format of 14 additional games to say in the Premiership.

Like I said previously, the whole thing is a shambles. B-D

If we are forced to play each other 4 times dot to TV we would be better just having a 10 team league, but nobody is going to vote themselves out of the league.

I am very old school when it comes to this. I think each time should play each other 2 home 2 away.
Sod all old school about it bud. Just using a dash of ordinary common sense.

The split has been a farce, with a fair dollop of cheating intersprinkled throughout.
sice its inception.

Not for the teams from around sixth to sixteenth who’ll have nothing to play for afyer around three quarters of the season.
No chance of getting a European place and no chance of relegation.
The very reasons we created the top ten in the first place in the mid seventies.
Meaningless games are a good thing, lets teams rebuild and try new things for next season without the fear of relegation. I think out 12 team league and any small league is too cutthroat, which causes teams to play in a manner to avoid getting beat.

Last edited:
We must get a thread like this every season. It isn't a new thing.

7th place team playing against weaker sides = most likely finishing with more points than 5th or 6th.

Build a bridge.

Aside from looking ridiculous, whats the financial cost to the clubs finishing lower than the actual points total should deliver. Is there much difference between being 5th, 6th, or 7th?
I'm in favour of the split, it has 2 so called benefits. 1. If the league is not won then you have to step up your fight against top top teams to really prove you are good enough. 2. for the relegation battle there were times when the bottom flight team had difficult matches against the top 6.

I am very old school when it comes to this. I think each time should play each other 2 home 2 away.

Me too mate - although I'd take it even further old school & prefer playing each other once home & away - with the number of teams in the the top league increased to get a similar amount of games

This works for the vast majority of leagues all over the world - many in leagues far superior to ours

Why we changed - as far as I can see - was entirely down to revenue generated by T.V. companies for 4 (at least- depending on cup results) old firm games a season & those other clubs in the league benefitting from OF crowd revenue

But being realistic - the T.V. deals are declining to pittance level & the non OF clubs have not only become protective of their potential blue pound earnings by blocking league expansion - but they've not played to the spirit of the arrangement when they limit crowd capacity at their own grounds - preferring to leave large empty sections rather than give us full & fair away allocations

As if playing each other 4 times didn't create enough stagnation & boredom - the Scot's game 'experts' figured that this split will 'inject interest' (their words - not mine) -
Well maybe it's worth considering why there was a need to 'inject interest' ?

Meanwhile what annoys me most - is the nonsense that Doncaster - amongst others - spout about what's good for the game - as if they had the slightest care in the first place

What worries me most now - is how we can change this shitshow -

Meaningless games are a good thing, let’s teams rebuild and try new things for next season without the fear of relegation. I think out 12 team league and any small league is too cutthroat, which causes teams to play in a manner to avoid getting beat.
This was Jim McLean’s view as well.
He had a hatred of the “Top Ten” that can be justified as you have just now.
The answer though lies with the paying public.
There is no doubt falling attendances contributed to the reconstruction.
If people weren’t coming to games, the game had to change.

This was Jim McLean’s view as well.
He had a hatred of the “Top Ten” that can be justified as you have just now.
The answer though lies with the paying public.
There is no doubt falling attendances contributed to the reconstruction.
If people weren’t coming to games, the game had to change.
I’ve liked your post but only for the jim mclean part . I totally agree with him .

bigger league playing each other once home and once away meant more teams played with freedom and young players getting a chance as teams didn’t feel as threatened by relegation .

Given today’s “ need “ for four old firm games the sensible way forward is to sadly keep the split , but have a top 14 division with top 6 and bottom 8 split , eliminates any imbalance of playing a team 3 times away from home like us and Livingston this year , and maintains the four old firm games . Also provides and extra two home games for the bottom 8 clubs which would help income in a small way . It’s the only realistic solution I can see .

I hate the split also, but if this is Sky's biggest games of the season, why aren't the idiots running our game demanding more money from them? (and that's not a dig at you mate)

And to those talking about Morton/Arbroath etc on a Wednesday night in January, do you really get pumped up for a Wednesday night in January at St J/Livi/Hamilton?

My own preference is an 18 team top league. There's not a lot of difference between the likes of Ross Co, Hamilton and Killie, to Hearts, Dundee, ICT and so on. I can see the argument about missing 4 games v them, sheep and hivs, but a couple of seasons ago we played both Killie and Aberdeen seven times. To me that's worse than playing teams at the top of the Championship.
I don’t know if it still is but I renegotiate used to be.

Back