The split opinion in our support.

Callum3657

We’ve seen it for as long as any of us have supported Rangers.
The optimists.
The pessimists.
The week to week bipolar antics of our online support is nothing new.
As the pressure mounts and the hunger for success pains, these reactions are becoming supercharged.

The issue is there are a large selection of our support that can not properly remember what a title race that ended in victory is like.

The highs of winning OF and doing well in Europe become projected as monumental achievements, which relative to where we have been, they are.
But because they are only small gains in the grand scheme of things, when things take a slight bump, our Banter Years PTSD kicks in and we all act like chicken little.

However, the sky is not falling.

Today was a bump, but no less, we sit in the exact position we did pre OF, a game many of us would have taken a draw in.
5 points behind with a game in hand.

It was a bump, with 17 league games to go, including 2 games against them.

The comparisons to last season are understandable, however last December we Lost to Aberdeen, then drew with Dundee and Hibs twice, all that on top of several poor results earlier in the season, that’s why at Killie last year we all knew it was done, we couldn’t count on our team to go on a winning run.

This season, we know how to respond to set backs.
After the first OF - 4 wins on the spin.
Draw with Hearts - 5 wins in a row.
Draw with Aberdeen - 5 wins in a row.
That’s 16 league games undefeated before today.
The cup final was the biggest test of mentality of this side and they dusted themselves off and made us so proud.

we now have 3 home games before going away to Kilmarnock, I have total faith that full points can be achieved.

This isn’t last season, this is different. Now we can argue about signings and team selections, thats fine.

All I can say is that let’s keep the head, we have the right man in charge and some really good players.
We are Rangers and No Surrender is our cry.

It matters not a jot which section you fall into. We can’t win the league or lose it with opinions. So criticising either opinion is daft. The pessimists however are being proved right with every trophy disappointment. Let’s hope the cup was the last for a while.

The optimists.
The pessimists.
As the pressure mounts and the hunger for success pains, these reactions are becoming supercharged.

The issue is there are a large selection of our support that can not properly remember what a title race that ended in victory is like.

The highs of winning OF and doing well in Europe become projected as monumental achievements, which relative to where we have been, they are.
But because they are only small gains in the grand scheme of things, when things take a slight bump, our Banter Years PTSD kicks in and we all act like chicken little.

Today was a bump, but no less, we sit in the exact position we did pre OF, a game many of us would have taken a draw in.

The comparisons to last season are understandable, however last December we Lost to Aberdeen, then drew with Dundee and Hibs twice, all that on top of several poor results earlier in the season, that’s why at Killie last year we all knew it was done, we couldn’t count on our team to go on a winning run.

The cup final was the biggest test of mentality of this side and they dusted themselves off and made us so proud.

we now have 3 home games before going away to Kilmarnock, I have total faith that full points can be achieved.

This isn’t last season, this is different. Now we can argue about signings and team selections, thats fine.

All I can say is that let’s keep the head, we have the right man in charge and some really good players.
Absolutely right. Next 3 games we must take full points. I believe we will.

It matters not a jot which section you fall into. We can’t win the league or lose it with opinions. So criticising either opinion is daft. The pessimists however are being proved right with every trophy disappointment. Let’s hope the cup was the last for a while.
I disagree that opinion can’t win you the league. Had we come out of the blocks against Stranraer and St Mirren 4/5-0 and won comfortably today, then I guarantee Ibrox would be rocking on Wednesday, however now it will be quite until the team win us back round.
Which is fair enough, I’m not saying a team should get let away with poor performances but to say that the mental state of the support doesn’t affect the team is wrong

I don’t understand why people aren’t concerned after the last 3 performances?

When does the penny drop? 4 games, 5 games?
Correct, I, severely criticised the St.Mirren performance only to be told we were just blowing the cobwebs off a winter break, today was one of the worst displays I’ve seen this season, it actually looked like 11 strangers had just being introduced to each other 5 minutes before the game started and most couldn’t control their water all game.

Losing is unfortunately part of football but it’s the way we lost that game the day, to be outfought throughout the game is not good enough for any rangers team all we ask for is the players to give 100% every game, today most of that team didn’t come close to performing at their best

I don’t understand why people aren’t concerned after the last 3 performances?

When does the penny drop? 4 games, 5 games?

Exactly. We should have come out of the traps all guns blazing in our two games at Ibrox. Instead we were dire against Stranraer and lacklustre against St Mirren. We were off the boil today and just perhaps allowing the players to swan around in the two previous games took some match fitness from them, something was definitely wrong, it wasn't just one or two who did not perform, almost the whole team were off form.

Too many people seem focused on the fact we are better off than last season. That counts for nothing when were still not in first place and still turning in inept performances like today.

We must go on a run of 10+ unbeaten now, which is a massive ask for this squad, but if they are serious about winning the league it is what is required.

Too many people seem focused on the fact we are better off than last season. That counts for nothing when were still not in first place and still turning in inept performances like today.

We must go on a run of 10+ unbeaten now, which is a massive ask for this squad, but if they are serious about winning the league it is what is required.
How is 10 unbeaten a big ask? Before yesterday we hadn’t lost since September. That was 16 games unbeaten.

To be blunt the yahoos have won 10 trophies in a row and we are trailing them in the league yet again. We've also made yet another monumental blunder in this window by sitting on our hands and doing nothing when we had them on the ropes.

We seem to take one step forward then two steps back at times.

Think you've answered your own question there mate with the term 'online support'. What you read on here or twitter etc is just white noise, means absolutely nothing.

In real life, away from the Internet, the support is absolutely nothing like what you see online.

I think there is a bit of hysteria because we can’t afford anymore ‘bumps’ otherwise the league is gone and it just seems like when we play at one of the harder venues in this league there is every possibility that we will slip up. Celtic have shown they can go on a 10 game winning streak and we need to do similar now. I honestly think if we drop anymore points between now and the Celtic game then the league is over so it will be 8 games of the highest pressure.

Think you've answered your own question there mate with the term 'online support'. What you read on here or twitter etc is just white noise, means absolutely nothing.

In real life, away from the Internet, the support is absolutely nothing like what you see online.

That’s nonsense to be honest, there are literally thousands of ’online’ supporters who go to games, the Rangers support in general have always been a hard to please, demanding support.

I'm of the opinion that we are stressing about the league at the moment as we can see in the last few games that this was coming. Yet again, same as last year, we were in pole position to motor on and at least make a sterling effort to challenge for the title. Granted we are 5 behind with a game in hand, however on yesterday's performance do we really believe that we can go on a run of epic proportions and win the league? Today I'm saying no. Do I think that the tramps will drop points? I'm not sure tbh.

I'm of the opinion that we are stressing about the league at the moment as we can see in the last few games that this was coming. Yet again, same as last year, we were in pole position to motor on and at least make a sterling effort to challenge for the title. Granted we are 5 behind with a game in hand, however on yesterday's performance do we really believe that we can go on a run of epic proportions and win the league? Today I'm saying no. Do I think that the tramps will drop points? I'm not sure tbh.

Celtic will probably drop points, not many when it really matters though, I’m pretty certain we will also drop plenty more points before the end of the season.

Exactly. We should have come out of the traps all guns blazing in our two games at Ibrox. Instead we were dire against Stranraer and lacklustre against St Mirren. We were off the boil today and just perhaps allowing the players to swan around in the two previous games took some match fitness from them, something was definitely wrong, it wasn't just one or two who did not perform, almost the whole team were off form.
The question needs to asked ....WHY

The difference between last season and this season is we haven’t dropped many points, yesterday was the exception rather than the trend of this year. Sure there have been a few poorer games but we have got the result. But by and large we have been bloody excellent this season.

I disagree tbh, FF is pretty much representative of the conversations you overhear at Ibrox.

A lot of fans saying its just a bump , well maybe but looking at this squad can we really say there wont be anymore bumps ? I dont think we can , we had celtic on the ropes and now the advantage is back with them ,a lot of people are expecting us just to turn them over when they come to Ibrox but thats not guaranteed, the squad needs freshened up with either another striker or an attacking mid guys like ojo and barker are not going to win us a league and i cant see any other team doing us a favour and taking points off them as they are lucky as f***

A lot of fans saying its just a bump , well maybe but looking at this squad can we really say there wont be anymore bumps ? I dont think we can , we had celtic on the ropes and now the advantage is back with them ,a lot of people are expecting us just to turn them over when they come to Ibrox but thats not guaranteed, the squad needs freshened up with either another striker or an attacking mid guys like ojo and barker are not going to win us a league and i cant see any other team doing us a favour and taking points off them as they are lucky as f***
No we can’t say there won’t be anymore bumps, but that doesn’t mean this squad aren’t capable of going on a run, we’ve just gone 16 games 14 wins and 2 draws

There’s probably an argument that a lot of our players know they’re first picks and become extremely complacent and lazy.
Hopefully the gaffer has sussed those culprits out and deals with it.

The optimists.
The pessimists.

It is like Arsenal TV on steroids on here, and similar forums alike.

Its a long season, win every game and we are champions.
Only when it comes down to us actually needing others teams to make it mathematically possible will I start to melt down.

Can't agree with the 'bi-polar' diagnosis, there's a lot more than two major opinions on here. There's the sizeable "results are all that matter" crowd, to whom yesterday's performance will have seemed like a bolt from the blue, for a start.

That’s nonsense to be honest, there are literally thousands of ’online’ supporters who go to games, the Rangers support in general have always been a hard to please, demanding support.

If you truly believe that people behave in the same way on here and twitter etc. then you are very mistaken.

FF and Twitter etc. is a haven for overreactions and doom mongers. Online comments mean heehaw in real life.

Reactions: VGM
If you truly believe that people behave in the same way on here and twitter etc. then you are very mistaken.

FF and Twitter etc. is a haven for overreactions and doom mongers. Online comments mean heehaw in real life.

You think everyone who isn’t on social media is the voice of calm and reason?

I was on a supporters bus for yonks going way back, long before the days of FF, the amount of moaning, argumentative buggers who were on it was unreal.

You have people on here who moan, you have people on here who are calm and supportive.

I'm sorry, but being defeated by a bunch of no-mark journeymen quickly thrown together at the bottom of the League is an humiliation. There is no other word to describe it.
Yesterday was of course very disappointing but it was far from humiliation.yesterdag wasn’t the first time a title chasing rangers team lost to a team at the bottom of the league

The difference between last season and this season is we haven’t dropped many points, yesterday was the exception rather than the trend of this year. Sure there have been a few poorer games but we have got the result. But by and large we have been bloody excellent this season.

I don't think any Rangers fan would deny that the side has been bloody excellent so far this season, but we have had to be to keep ourselves toe to toe with Celtic. However up until yesterday we had managed to get ourselves ahead of them with our victory at Scumdome (allowing for victory in our game in hand) but once again we throw that advantage away almost immediately with, as SG hinted at, our worst ever performance in his time in charge.

Both sides will drop very little points between now and the seasons end, however yesterday's defeat just opened that big ol' question of our fragility, or bottle (for want of another word) when the going gets tough in the title race. I hate to say but Celtic will not blow it, just don't think the same can be said of us.

Last edited:
I don't think any Rangers fan would deny that the side has been bloody excellent do far this season, but we have had to be to keep ourselves toe to toe with Celtic. However up until yesterday we had managed to get ourselves ahead of them with our victory at Scumdome (allowing for victory in our game in hand) but once again we throw that advantage away almost immediately with, as SG hinted at, our worst ever performance in his time in charge.

Both sides will drop very little points between now and the seasons end, however yesterday's defeat just opened that big ol' question of our fragility, or bottle (for want of another word) when the going gets tough in the title race. I hate to say but Celtic will not good, just don't think the same can be said of us.
I agree with you, that we had an advantage, but we have shown this season we can bounce back.
The next few games are huge, we can’t afford to drop further behind.
But results wise are only 1 draw behind Celtic.
If we don’t respond in the right way over the next few games I will worry

The optimists.
The pessimists.

I think to some extent we have a lot of supporters who just want to be the ones to say "I told you so".

I wasn't concerned about the Stranraer game because we had 7 players who are not regular first 11 starters and still created 33 shots and were never in any danger of losing the game.

I wasn't concerned about the St Mirren game because we created a ton of chances and were very unlucky not to be going in 2-0 up at half time (in particular the chance where the St Mirren defender very fortunately deflected a goal bound shot into the arms of his own keeper). They basically created nothing except one chance at the end. Yes, we were playing with fire but it was not a bad performance.

Fast forward to the awful performance yesterday and suddenly people are lining up to stick the boot in on those who were not concerned by the previous two "bad" performances. That's what you get for just being satisfied with results! I told you so!

No. Yesterday was down to incredibly poor defensive play and horrendous defensive mistakes. Neither of which were present in the previous two matches. Of course "didn't take our chances" still applies but the problems were far greater than just that yesterday.

I don't believe at all that you could look at the St Mirren performance and predict the Hearts performance based on that. No way. Yet so many seem to think that they are related.

I think the support's frustrations are amplified by any bump in the road when we're so close to 55.

Yesterday was of course very disappointing but it was far from humiliation.yesterdag wasn’t the first time a title chasing rangers team lost to a team at the bottom of the league

No disrespect, mate, but that team that beat us yesterday were cobbled together over a week or so and hardly know each other.

I think to some extent we have a lot of supporters who just want to be the ones to say "I told you so".

I wasn't concerned about the Stranraer game because we had 7 players who are not regular first 11 starters and still created 33 shots and were never in any danger of losing the game.

I wasn't concerned about the St Mirren game because we created a ton of chances and were very unlucky not to be going in 2-0 up at half time (in particular the chance where the St Mirren defender very fortunately deflected a goal bound shot into the arms of his own keeper). They basically created nothing except one chance at the end. Yes, we were playing with fire but it was not a bad performance.

Fast forward to the awful performance yesterday and suddenly people are lining up to stick the boot in on those who were not concerned by the previous two "bad" performances. That's what you get for just being satisfied with results! I told you so!

No. Yesterday was down to incredibly poor defensive play and horrendous defensive mistakes. Neither of which were present in the previous two matches. Of course "didn't take our chances" still applies but the problems were far greater than just that yesterday.

I don't believe at all that you could look at the St Mirren performance and predict the Hearts performance based on that. No way. Yet so many seem to think that they are related.
Bang on

Celtic will probably drop points, not many when it really matters though, I’m pretty certain we will also drop plenty more points before the end of the season.
For me the only way they drop points is if we takd them, which is enough, but i can't see us not dropping points against pish teams

Currently an optimist. Looking no further than Wednesday, but if it's not 9 points in the next three games then that will early change.

For me the only way they drop points is if we takd them, which is enough, but i can't see us not dropping points against pish teams
What makes you think that? We have only dropped points against 2 teams other than Celtic this season. The same as them. Last time we lost it was 16 game unbeaten run, taking care of the dross. The team will bounce back.

You are absolutely correct that we have improved massively over last season. However, results wise at least - so have they. Of course the title is not over after yesterday but every point dropped does seem like it will be more impactful than last season given how much better both us and them have been at winning games this season. Likewise one loss for them will be treated as the end of the world from some of their support.

What makes you think that? We have only dropped points against 2 teams other than Celtic this season. The same as them. Last time we lost it was 16 game unbeaten run, taking care of the dross. The team will bounce back.
I hope so, im going by our recent form which shows we are a liability just now. Having Alfie back will hopefully give us a boost and spur us on to a decent run. They haven't really showed any signs of dropping points either

I hope so, im going by our recent form which shows we are a liability just now. Having Alfie back will hopefully give us a boost and spur us on to a decent run. They haven't really showed any signs of dropping points either
It’s been 3 games, Wednesday will be the true test, if it’s a meek performance again after a se back then I’ll be a bit more concerned.
As for Celtic they are coming into their hardest run of games of the season. By a week on Wednesday after Hibs we will have a better idea of our title chances.

Same debate every season. Folk get called "panty-wetters" and all kinds of daft names for pointing out the fact that we don't look like we have the level of quality on a consistent enough basis to get us over the line to actually win the title.

So far, the "panty-wetters" have been proven right going back years against folk who simply refuse to accept anything that isn't just misty-eyed optimism for the sake of being optimistic.

This team has to prove it's good enough to go all the way, not just have the odd positive blip where we tease ourselves into top-spot for a week or two before falling behind again.

A title race that looks like going to the wire. The desperate mentally challengeds recognise our threat and predictably are getting pro active to improve themselves while they can. They realise their best is now short of what's required to be comfortable so are currently addressing the problem.

One thing now required from our board........... backbone! Backbone to believe in your manager and invest in him right now, when it really matters in the shape of an ace card to counter the mentally challengeds efforts.

Also, and in my opinion something that's equally important. They need to show that very same backbone by robustly challenging the authorities in the treatment the most pivotal player in this entire country. Do this then just maybe that 19th Century Terrorist streak of piss clancy would have thought better about his decision in December.

As was witnessed yesterday his disgusting bias came to fruition when once again when so badly needed we are denied our wee game winner. It's going to be difficult enough to win the league with Morelos let alone without and it's high time the blatant cheating of referees with an anti Rangers agenda were brought into focus.

Back