The squad and projected teams

Starting Anew

The threads on this seem to have sunk a bit so thought it might be worth starting a new one.

I’ve tried to break the squad down to team roles rather than specific positions as I think this makes more sense:

GK
First choice: Shagger
Second choice: Wes

RB
First choice: Tav
Second choice: Polster
Others: Flanagan

LB
First choice: Flanagan
Second choice: Halliday
Others: Barisic

Defence - primary ball winner
First choice: Helander (when up to speed)
Second choice: Katic
Others: Goldson, Edmundson

Defence - secondary position/sweeper
First choice: Goldson
Second choice: Edmundson
Others: Katic, Helander

Midfield - defensive focus
First choice: Davis
Second choice: Jack
Others: Kamara, Aribo

Midfield - ball carrier
First choice: Jack
Second choice: Aribo
Others: Kamara, Davis, King, Docherty

Midfield - attack focus
First choice: Aribo
Second choice: King
Others: Arfield

True winger
First choice: Kent (if he comes), Ojo
Second choice: Jones
Others: Barker, Hastie, McPake, Murphy

Inside forward
First choice: Arfield
Second choice: Ojo
Others: Stewart, Murphy

Striker
First choice: Morelos
Second choice: Defoe
Others: Stewart, Rudden, Mebude

That would make teams of:
Shagger, Tav, Helander, Goldson, Flanagan, Davis, Jack, Aribo, Ojo/Kent, Morelos, Arfield

Or (second choices)
Wes, Polster, Katic, Edmundson, Halliday, Jack, Aribo, King, Jones, Defoe, Ojo.

Have to say i’m pretty happy with that.

Unsurprisingly, left back stands out as a significant weakness and we don’t have a lot of depth in strikers or right back.

I would swap Davis and Jack.

Jack breaks up play and is more defensively minded
Davis plays the passes

If Kent does eventually come back
We have brilliant choices going forward

As said left back is the biggest weakness
Flanagen has had some strong performances an some weak ones
If he can stay consistent we’re in a great place

McGregor; Tavernier, Goldson, Helander, NEW LB; Jack, Davis, Aribo; Arfield, Kent, Morelos.

Foderingham, Katic, Kamara, King, Ojo, Jones, Defoe.

Foderingham; Flanagan, Edmundson, Katic, Halliday; Kamara, King, Docherty; Ojo, Jones, Defoe.

Firth, Goldson, Polster, Davis, Stewart, Barker, Morelos.

My 2 “XI”s and their benches if you will. It assumes we sign Kent & another left back and it has a clear place for all our first team squad.

Would you say he is a better defensive mid than Jack? Or a better ball carrier than Aribo? Or would you disagree with my make up of the midfield roles?
Completely agree with your make up of the roles. I'd say if we were to be without Davis for a tough game, then Kamara comes in for him at CDM and Jack stays where he is as the ball carrier. Like how we set up away to Midtjylland

That would make teams of:
Shagger, Tav, Helander, Goldson, Flanagan, Davis, Jack, Aribo, Ojo/Kent, Morelos, Arfield

Or (second choices)
Wes, Polster, Katic, Edmundson, Halliday, Jack, Aribo, King, Jones, Defoe, Ojo.

I take it your second choice team is meant to have Kamara rather than Aribo in it as you've listed Aribo as a certain primary team player and not like Ojo / Kent vying for a role.

I agree with both your teams (Helander / Goldson / Katic dependent) and it's good that we now have a settled structure that can be moved to suit when required rather than a complete guess as to what is happening on a weekly basis (as we had under Pedro) or a set XI (that was neither good enough or flexible enough under Warburton)

Steady progress...

Completely agree with your make up of the roles. I'd say if we were to be without Davis for a tough game, then Kamara comes in for him at CDM and Jack stays where he is as the ball carrier. Like how we set up away to Midtjylland

Can see your point but Aribo was being kept out of that game and we didn’t have King. I’d also argue that the Midtjylland game had Jack as the most defensive focussed player though that is hard to tell.

I take it your second choice team is meant to have Kamara rather than Aribo in it as you've listed Aribo as a certain primary team player and not like Ojo / Kent vying for a role.

I agree with both your teams (Helander / Goldson / Katic dependent) and it's good that we now have a settled structure that can be moved to suit when required rather than a complete guess as to what is happening on a weekly basis (as we had under Pedro) or a set XI (that was neither good enough or flexible enough under Warburton)

Steady progress...

I was looking at who would be second choice for the roles. Think Aribo is first choice for attack biased midfielder and second choice for ball-carrier. Though that’s partially because, when first choices are playing, he plays in the attacking role even though he’s a better ball carrier than Jack. Aribo, Jack and Ojo would be in both my teams. Jack as first choice ball carrier and second choice defensive mid; and Ojo as first choice winger in the absence of Kent and second choice inside forward.

I was looking at who would be second choice for the roles. Think Aribo is first choice for attack biased midfielder and second choice for ball-carrier. Though that’s partially because, when first choices are playing, he plays in the attacking role even though he’s a better ball carrier than Jack. Aribo, Jack and Ojo would be in both my teams. Jack as first choice ball carrier and second choice defensive mid; and Ojo as first choice winger in the absence of Kent and second choice inside forward.

Gotcha.

Back