The St Mirren 9 Men Game

dunn1872

Official Ticketer
If ever a game summed up Walter Smith, it was this game. That team would have ran through brick walls for their manager and left absolutely everything on that pitch for him. No other manager would be able to have that impact on a team.

When people say 'Walter Smith represented everything Rangers stand for' this game is a great example.
Other teams would have felt sorry for themselves.
Other teams would have used the bad luck with decisions to justify defeat.
Other teams players would have downed tools at such a disadvantage of two sendings offs.
Walter Smith's Rangers found a way to win, because he and our club are a club of winners.

If ever a game summed up Walter Smith, it was this game. That team would have ran through brick walls for their manager and left absolutely everything on that pitch for him. No other manager would be able to have that impact on a team.

Can still picture him at the sideline directing the troops, pointing and shouting at the team, master class from Walter. Defend your box and you have a chance!

Ally was meant to be in charge that day as he took the cup games.

In the hour of need Walter took over.
Was just about to post that never been so confident heading to Hampden for a game , think st Mirren had something pitiful like 2000 there . Then when we we’re down to 9 didn’t think we had a chance ! What a moment when Miller scored bust my mates nose open in the celebrations in the north stand .

Him coming down to the dugout that day was like Julius Caeser joining a battlefield at the 11th hour when all seemed lost.
Our players grew a foot whilst our opponents shrunk. Such was the inspirational impact of Walter. I’ve never seen a manger drag a team to victory like he did that day.

Was at the game. During his second spell and during the majority of domestic games, Walter would be in the stands - Coisty and Kenny McD on the touchline ensuring game plan and orders were carried through. At 9 men, Walter came down and hugged the touchline all game. Never seen a manager, or Rangers manager, orchestrate a performance like he did that day. It was unbelievable, he won us the game and cup. Can't believe he's gone, being trying to fight tears back at work all day.

Probably one of the greatest managerial performances you will see.

Guided, dictated, controlled and conducted from the technical area. He literally got his men through 40 minutes of playing with two less men.

On top of that, no Bougherra, no Broadfoot and Steven Davis was at about 80% fit.

Davis was replaced at half time by Mo Edu.

I know he doesn't have many friends on here but the piece Jim Traynor wrote in the Record the day after that final about Walter was perhaps the finest words ever written by Traynor. Jim was also part of Walter's testimonial committee in 1998.

There’s a clip on YouTube after we win that cup and you can see me right at the front with Sir Walter Smith.

Totally up against it. Absolutely no chance of winning.

Summed him up, always found a way to win

I've attended some big matches, cup wins, Old Firm wins, but that match will always be a highlight.

I remember laughing when Danny Wilson was sent off because I thought the striker was getting booked for diving (was right down the opposite end of the park from me). Thought the Bears around me were going to lynch me! :D What a performance from the team and manager that day, doubt I'll see a better header than Miller's that day.

What a cup final that was and just epitome of our never give up mentality under Walter.

Unbelievable celebrations that day.

Up there with one of our best performances under Walter

My pal played with St Mirren at the time and got us complimentary tickets only thing was we ended up sitting in with all the St Mirren players families.

We managed to not let our masks slip the whole game until Miller scored and the 5 young bears went absolutely fucking tonto in amongst the players families

What a day!

A mind-numbingly shit game until Thommo's red card. By the time Danny Wilson was sent off, the gloves were well and truly off. Everyone connected with Rangers fought back, with interest, that day.

Turned into one of my favourite ever days at Hampden Park.

I was in Berlin that weekend and was struggling to find somewhere to watch the game. Went to an Irish Bar at Alexanderplatz but Man Utd v Liverpool was on at the same time so that's all they were showing. I got talking to a wee guy with a Rangers scarf on who was over there working as a teacher or something like that and he said there was another big Irish Bar at the Europa Centre that might show it. So we jumped on a train down to there but it was quite a lengthy journey from what I remember and we missed all the first half and the start of the second half. Got into this other Irish boozer and again Man Utd v Liverpool was on every screen. Ended up talking to the barmaid and she said they had multiple UK Sky boxes so if I knew what channel the game was on she would stick it on one of the small screens behind the bar for us. Got her to search deep into 900 channels for BBC Scotland and she eventually found it. Just as it came on though we went down to 9 men, nightmare. There was a squad of Irish boys in the pub that noticed it was on and starting shouting on St Mirren, obviously noticing the guy I was with's scarf and trying to come the cvnt. When Miller scored that goal though, the noise the 2 of us made was 10 fold what the full crowd in that pub made for the EPL game and we never heard another peep out the Irish mob either. Class day that I'll always remember, even if I've only ever seen 20 minutes of the game still to this day. Rest Easy Walter and thanks for the memories.

Sat in the North stand that day. After seeing the 2 red cards, I wondered if we had any chance. The guy sitting beside me argued and damn near was in a fight with the guy sitting in front of him.
Down came Walter. The 2 guys who were at each other all game, calmed down and said "Walters came down, we're winning this", and I have to admit I had a sense of calm and comfort seeing him at the touchline. I have never seen an outpouring of unbridled joy when that ball went in the net. After the final whistle we all agreed the Gaffer won us that cup!

An absolutely brilliant day. Was in the top tier at hampden just as it comes round the corner into our end. Actually a decent view in that place. What a moment when miller scored. Remember all the chat about the pigeon etc that was in the camera shot as naismith crossed it

I was in the South Stand that day and watched a man conduct a team from the sidelines. He batted away every assistant and was like a conductor on last night of the proms as he moved the team around to engineer a victory. The team might have scored the goals but I am in no doubt that Walter won the trophy. RIP Mr Smith.
They were too scared to come out until the game was over....!

An absolutely brilliant day. Was in the top tier at hampden just as it comes round the corner into our end. Actually a decent view in that place. What a moment when miller scored. Remember all the chat about the pigeon etc that was in the camera shot as naismith crossed it
I was in the same section... South stand upper tier? Watching Walter stand there was incredible

The last silverware I saw us lift in the flesh. There were 6 of us there with 5 under the friendship scheme, so we were all sat together on five seats. Just after halftime the first two chuck it for the pub, then sometime after Wilson is sent off the next 2 chuck it for the pub. They are actually in the carpark area of Hampden when we score. B-D

Me and my big mate stuck it out, 0-0 no fukin chance we were leaving. We saw the goal, we saw the cup and to this day, we still give them it tight for not believing in The Rangers.

Back