The Steven Gerrard plea Rangers still can’t deliver on

Recoba

Official Ticketer
Have to agree with this article other than the stupid comment about Kent, we simply cant go through a whole season relying on Morelos and Defoe to score the vast majority of the goals, the 2 forwards behind the striker must contribute and Ojo and Arfield are not doing that, Ojo is even worse when on the left hand side because he cant cut in an shoot as easily

The Steven Gerrard plea Rangers still can’t deliver on

By
Jonathan McFarlane
  • 16:35, 22 OCT 2019
  • UPDATED11:30, 23 OCT 2019
The Rangers boss will feel he needs more from his attacking players when the chips are down.

At the end of last season, Steven Gerrard stressed the need for an improvement in the decisive areas of goals and assists for attacking players if the club are to achieve his lofty ambitions.
While that looked to be happening in the early stages of the campaign, with Sheyi Ojo especially impressing, that good form seems to have dried up.
Key attackers Ojo and Scott Arfield have no goals and one assist between them in the last seven league games.
It seems obvious the Rangers boss will be asking for significantly better from his creatives.

(Image: Getty Images)
Scott McDermott and Jonny McFarlane drill into the detail of Rangers poor showing at Tynecastle on Saturday on the latest Record Rangers podcast and reckon the manager needs to get more from the two creators.
Jonny feels that Arfield needs to return to the level of form he showed towards the end of last season saying: "There needs to be better output from the likes of Arfield. He needs to get back to the kind of numbers he was registering when he was first moved into that position.

"Ryan Kent was a big outlay and he didn't really have an impact yesterday. I know it's early doors and he's just back from injury but for the kind of money that was spent he has to be a transformational type of player and show the kind of form he did against Celtic in the games last season.
"When Ojo started the season he looked like he would provide the kind of outputs that Daniel Candeias didn't but in tough away games he seems to have a trap door mentality where he disappears and you don't see him for a while."

While Scott agrees the manager will need to get more from the players, he feels that a simple switch of sides could bare significant fruit.

He said: "Gerrard needs more from these guys, Arfield and Ojo. The only thing I'd say is I can't quite get my head around why Arfield is on the right and Ojo is on the left. When Scott first moved to that inverted winger role it was on the left hand side. Obviously he's coming infield on his stronger foot with full-backs flying down either side of him and he did it brilliantly. He did get goals including a hat-trick at Fir Park.
"Ojo produces his best stuff on the right flank when he cuts in on his left foot and can get shots away. We spoke to him about this in pre-season before he had even kicked a ball. That's what he loves doing and he can cause loads of problems so I don't quite get why Arfield is on the right and Ojo is on the left.
"I think in games where it's not quite happening for them it's worth switching them about and giving them a chance on the other side. I think you'd see an improvement."

Last edited:
Who in the name of f*ckin jesus cares what 2 journalists from the Daily Record think? Ill never understand how that is worthy of putting out as an article.

"Jonny and Scot think Rangers should... bla bla bla" So f*ck!!!! Why should anyone care what 2 random guys think about anything regarding Rangers never mind making it a story in a newspaper.

I don't get it.

Who in the name of f*ckin jesus cares what 2 journalists from the Daily Record think? Ill never understand how that is worthy of putting out as a article.

"Jonny and Scot think Rangers should..." bla bla bla

So f*ck. Why should anyone care what 2 random guys think about anything regarding Rangers never mind making it a story in a newspaper.

I don't get it.
Calm down ffs, they are both Rangers fans giving their opinion like me or you.

Not really something to go crazy about, their points are valid imo and worthy of discussion

Apart from the comment about Kent

Last edited:
Who in the name of f*ckin jesus cares what 2 journalists from the Daily Record think? Ill never understand how that is worthy of putting out as an article.

"Jonny and Scot think Rangers should... bla bla bla" So f*ck!!!! Why should anyone care what 2 random guys think about anything regarding Rangers never mind making it a story in a newspaper.

I don't get it.
Calm down mate haha.

there would be no FF if we didn’t care what random Rangers fans wanted to say either

"Ryan Kent was a big outlay and he didn't really have an impact yesterday. I know it's early doors and he's just back from injury but for the kind of money that was spent he has to be a transformational type of player and show the kind of form he did against Celtic in the games last season.

What the fuck? Acknowledges Kent's been out injured but has a go anyway. How is he supposed to be a "transformational" player when he's played less than 90 minutes?

Arfield should not be playing in the right side of a front three. Ojo shouldn’t be playing at all.

If he wanted to play Arfield on Sunday, he should have dropped Kamara and played Arfield in the midfield, with Stewart remaining in the position he had occupied for the previous two league games.

Once we have Kent and Jones fully fit (and with Stewart there as an option when required) we will hopefully begin to see a bigger contribution from the players either side of our main striker.

Oh and that guy expecting a bigger impact from Kent on Sunday is just fûcking ridiculous.

Calm down mate haha.

there would be no FF if we didn’t care what random Rangers fans wanted to say either

Haha I am very calm.

I genuinely don't get how this is news, its just 2 random guys opinion on Rangers. I don't know anyone who would honestly care about what they have to say let alone for it to be in a newspaper.

Their opinion means literally eff all to anyone.

Greg Stewart has shown in this league previously and in the fleeting appearances that he has had this season that he at very least has ‘numbers’ in him. I’d like to think ojo will become an impact player when games are getting stretched or spaces appear with Kent becoming a fixture. I wouldn’t be against Arfield dropping back into the midfield to make way for Stewart for a lot of games.

Too much toxic masculinty and stale caffeinated tonic wine in this thread for Jonny's liking.

His point on Kent is borderline laughable.

Haha I am very calm.

I genuinely don't get how this is news, its just 2 random guys opinion on Rangers. I don't know anyone who would honestly care about what they have to say let alone for it to be in a newspaper.

Their opinion means literally eff all to anyone.
The points regarding Ojo and Arfield are valid, they are not contributing so take away anything they have said and replace it with me saying it.

Im sure nobody will still give a %^*& :p

I don't get it.
Maybe because what they are saying is actually true, we aren’t getting enough from other players and are mainly relying on our 2 front to get us the goals but you don’t get it.

There is a major difference between doing analysis when you know your stuff, and pretending to do analysis when you haven't got a scooby. Jonny and Scott should be aware of this. It's genuinely painful to read and a cheap imitation of other media sources that do breakdowns and analysis so much better than our national tabloids.

Arfield should not be playing in the right side of a front three. Ojo shouldn’t be playing at all.

If he wanted to play Arfield on Sunday, he should have dropped Kamara and played Arfield in the midfield, with Stewart remaining in the position he had occupied for the previous two league games.

Once we have Kent and Jones fully fit (and with Stewart there as an option when required) we will hopefully begin to see a bigger contribution from the players either side of our main striker.

Oh and that guy expecting a bigger impact from Kent on Sunday is just fûcking ridiculous.
I'd like to see GS getting a run of games in thehe role Arfield occupies also think Kent should start in place of Ojo. Far too laboured at times and for me he's not a winger. Having RJ back will be a boost.

I don't get it.

You ok babes? PM me..

Arfields current numbers from a front three position are woeful. I like the guy, but he doesn't appear to be ruthless enough nor have the technical ability to bring about goals or assists. Energy, workmate, desire and tempo yes. Goals and assists no.

Ojo isn't exactly prolific either league wise.

Are we going to get 10 plus goals from between our centre midfield options?

Would like to see us utilise Aribo more (similar to positions he got himself in on international duty).

Ideally outside of the main striker you want 20-25 goals from the supporting cast in the league at least.

Who would confidently say we will reach that?

Arfields current numbers from a front three position are woeful. I like the guy, but he doesn't appear to be ruthless enough nor have the technical ability to bring about goals or assists. Energy, workmate, desire and tempo yes. Goals and assists no.

Ojo isn't exactly prolific either league wise.

Are we going to get 10 plus goals from between our centre midfield options?

Would like to see us utilise Aribo more (similar to positions he got himself in on international duty).

Ideally outside of the main striker you want 20-25 goals from the supporting cast in the league at least.

Who would confidently say we will reach that?
I honestly don't know, Kent would have to improve on his goal scoring ratio, Jones doesn't score many and neither do Arfield or Ojo at present.

I believe Stewart would score a fair few for us given a run in the team.

Regardless of the article our lack of creativity and goals in the last seven games from Aribo , Ojo or Arfield is startling and hugely worrying .

We saw that once more, the Arfield & Ojo combo, this time paired with the equally ineffective Aribo, didn`t click. Not really because of the opposition, but because there was next to no cohesion a script that they followed on the park. Ojo`s lackadaisical character doesn`t help either, nor does Arfield being off the boils somewhat and he and Aribo being just back from longuish WC trips. SG`s choice.

Against Hearts, you would have liked to see all-action chaps like Jones (albeit injured), Kent (just back to full swing) and Stewart (who tore through 2 other SPFL teams in his last outings).

Porto will demand more defensive work and you actually wonder, whether we'll go 3 at the back with Tav and Bairsic playing wing-back. Once more, our injury bug bites us hard with Flanagan and Jack not available. I thus doubt that Polster will be there instead of Tav, while Kamara and Davis might be certain starters, unless King appears (from no-where). I`d hazard a guess that Kent, Ojo and Aribo will start, with Morelos up on top.

car crash thread

quoting shite out the record
So the stats on Ojo and Arfield are invalid because you dont like the guys who wrote it ? they are 100% right in what they have said about Ojo and Arfield and rather than moaning because we dont like the truth i thought folk would maybe want to discuss it

Last edited:

People can quite rightly blame certain players for underperforming on Sunday all they like, but twice this season Gerrard's got the team selection wrong and it's cost us on both occasions - no hiding from that fact.

I think Kent and Stewart would offer better balance and much more creativity with a goal threat but fear we wont see them as a pairing as often as I'd like to.

I honestly don't know, Kent would have to improve on his goal scoring ratio, Jones doesn't score many and neither do Arfield or Ojo at present.

I believe Stewart would score a fair few for us given a run in the team.

I'm the same. Couldn't really confidently say where we would get goals from.

Agree on Stewart though for some reason I just can't see Gerrard giving him and extended run. Just my thoughts and not totally sure why I believe it.

If Kent can add goals and assists then that would be a good start.

So the stats on Ojo and Arfield are invalid because you dont like the guys who wrote it ? they are 100% right in what they have said about Ojo and Arfield and rather than moaning because we dont like the truth i thought folk would maybe want to discuss it

then have the balls to start a thread about that without dragging some imposter from the daily fucking record into it

then have the balls to start a thread about that without dragging some imposter from the daily fucking record into it
I said my part before the article and have done on plenty other threads, i never shy away from any topic so i don't really get your point.

Anyway it seems most people just want to greet and moan rather than discuss it so i will leave you to it.

Back