The Story of Don Revie and 'Dirty Leeds'.

Blaew

Only caught part of it, good stuff. Going to have to find the whole thing now.

Kenny Burns has enjoyed his retirement.
It's brilliant. I watched it on an Emirates flight last year, this is the second time watching it and its still a great watch second time round.

bearmind

I absolutely detest Leeds United especially the team of 1970 that allowed the mhanks to beat them in the semi finals of the European Cup ;)At least the mhanks then met the beginnings of Dutch Total-Football in Feyenoord who dispatched them in the final.
Yes, there is a God after all!

Seriously, and this is so reminiscent of what happened to Rangers in our UEFA 2008 run to the final but Leeds United had an unbelievable series of games to play in the run up to that season's end. Within 42 days they had to play 3 FA Cup Semi Finals including replays against Man Utd. 2 FA Cup Finals against Chelsea (one of which was played on a ploughed field that was Wembley) and including the final replay at Old Trafford; 2 European Cup Semi Finals against Celtic; and seven League games where Everton ended up League champions and Leeds came second. Revie prioritised the Cups toward the end of that season although Leeds Utd had been favourites for the League 2nd year running. A brilliant but very unlucky Leeds United team whose luck would also desert them in Europe in future years of 1973 and 1975.

The secretary of the English FA, Alan Hardaker despised Leeds and he did everything he could not to assist them as they were going for an historic Treble. He fined them £5000 for fielding weakened teams despite a considerable injury list and he wouldn't extend the season. I've read that script before.

From the article below.
Consumer Warning: Contains references and some praise for the Mhanks.

Last edited:

Andy1992

Before my time I was 5
1970 against the papes they got beat in the semi , how did they play , did they deserve to lose ?
Got dispatched pretty easily by them in the 1970 semi, beaten 1-0 in Leeds and 2-1 in Glasgow. My old man never forgave them for it, pretty much despised them the rest of his days.

jigster

Official Ticketer
The similarities between how both Leeds and Rangers are viewed in their respective countries by opposition fans is quite scary the " no one likes us we don't care " applies to both sets of supporters also , been to 5 Leeds games over the last 2 seasons both goal ends of the ground stand for the full 90 mins its a great fan experience

stonewall Jackson

Leeds were the first side in Britain to adopt consistant aggressive tactics towards referees. They would claim for every decision even if it was blatantly against them and attempt to bully the official. Different players would take turns at this and also they would target opposition players who they thought posed a threat.Clough attempted to curb this but at Wembley against Liverpool they basically gave him the two fingers This was a side of football that was always present but Revie ramped it up to a new level. Baw face at the piggery adopted these intimidationary tactics up here and the tarriers are still using them.

Burnleybluenose

They were always a team I enjoyed watching.!
After my first Rangers and then Scotland ( I know ) strips my third one was Leeds.
Still look for their results today, would like to see them back in amongst the big boys.
Same here. Although Scotland now a very distant third (if I can be bothered even).

Got dispatched pretty easily by them in the 1970 semi, beaten 1-0 in Leeds and 2-1 in Glasgow. My old man never forgave them for it, pretty much despised them the rest of his days.
Wasn't a bad thing actually, they got cocky and though theyd already won it. And underestimated Feyenoord.

Metalhead1965

Hate Leeds the Legend Clough was right on meeting the players he said.Throw all your medals in the bin you never won anything fairly you won them by cheating

wee bud's pit boots

I used to have a video called 'Leeds United: The Glory Years, 1965 to 1975' and it's amazing how many times they were runners-up in competitions they ought to have won. They won a fair amount but they were beaten finalists in various cup competitions and runners-up in the league umpteen times, and suffered a ridiculous number of refereeing cock-ups (we know how that feels), not least the infamous WBA game in 1971 that cost them the league, and two blatant cheating performances by referees in the 1973 CWC Final and the 1975 European Cup Final. They were a hard team, dirty to some, but they played some fabulous football, especially from 1969 to 1974.
They were a hard team, dirty to some, but they played some fabulous football, especially from 1969 to 1974.

Pity they couldn't have done it in the spring of 1970.

Reactions: ao2

Clone74

Never been a fan of Leeds think its mainly down to there fans they just remind me of Aberdeen fans living in the past but still thinking they are massive.

Mickethius

Never been a fan of Leeds think its mainly down to there fans they just remind me of Aberdeen fans living in the past but still thinking they are massive.
What do you base that on? Most Leeds fans know our station in the grand scheme of things.

Clone74

What do you base that on? Most Leeds fans know our station in the grand scheme of things.
Worked in Yorkshire for 2 years all I heard was how much bigger club they were to Rangers and how they are a top 6 supported team in England . Cloud cuckoo land .

Mickethius

Worked in Yorkshire for 2 years all I heard was how much bigger club they were to Rangers and how they are a top 6 supported team in England . Cloud cuckoo land .
I suppose everything is relative here, Leeds bigger than Rangers is a tricky one due to many factors, Rangers is a world wide phenomenon but a lot of that is down to what Rangers are as a club, Leeds cannot claim anywhere close to that kind of support and I would never claim it, even though for a club that has spent more than half its existence in the lower divisions we don’t do bad for global support. Now the bit your not going to like, is Leeds a more relevant club than Rangers? Absolutely but that’s just geography and the fact Leeds play in a higher profile country. There is a lot of love for Rangers in Leeds so i’m Surprised to hear your claims, although it might be put down as banter. As for top 6 support? Well no, 13th actually but then that is due to the restrictions on our ground, our natural support at home would be 45 thousand if the ground allowed it, still 3 thou behind Rangers so you can take some kudos from that, but then again 13k behind the beggars so deduce from that what you will.

JPS Blue

Couldn't stand Leeds back in the revie days, don't really bother with english football in general to he honest.