The Story of RB Leipzig

Agree with this as well, they're moving with the times and making the most of an opportunity.

A rule they seem to stick to 100% is they don't buy any proven stars - think that costs them getting over the line at times. Think that is maybe because experienced players will disrupt their methods, have something to say etc... and also in a lot of cases not want to go there because of the hassle they will get, Werner gets booed at National Team matches for example.

I support and follow the phoenix club SV Austria Salzburg, they made it up to the Ereste Division but ended up getting relegated after one season and have since fallen back down to the regional leagues. They still carry the biggest home and away support outside the top flight.

the fans had to go and register the clubs emblem and were able to register the old the clubs name and kept the same colours.

Red Bull where only going to allow the goalkeeper to wear purple socks but recognition of Austria Salzburg but the fans weren't happy so broke away.

I worked with a guy who drank it every day... he dropped down dead from a heart attack aged 40..

I dont know about Europe/UK, but here in the US I worked in the Oilfields for many years and all energy drinks are banned by pretty much all of the oil companies now due to the health effects.

For me, while Red Bull may have financed RBL to get them to where they are now, what are they doing that is different from any number of other clubs which are, ultimately, run by multi national companies or are state sponsored. I'm talking about clubs like Man City and PSG being owned by Abu Dhabi and Qatar respectively or clubs like Juventus and Leverkusen which are, or have been, successful on the back of funding by FIAT and the Bayer organisation respectively. You also have to factor in how difficult it was for teams from the old East Germany to integrate into the Bundesliga when Germany was unified (I'm sure there was an excellent article on this very subject not so long ago on FF). Some of the teams I've mentioned here are also guilty of going out and hiring the most successful managers and of paying stupid amounts to hoover up the best players in the game. RBL have done nothing of the sort, a relatively unknown (and very young) manager coupled with a relatively young and unspectacular playing pool. I don't know whats not to like about that. Also, anyone who can give Bayern Munich a run for their money or, perhaps, even end their dominance of the Bundesliga is most welcome in my eyes.

To be honest it’s rude to overlook the part of previous Managers here, Nagelsmann has been pretty well known for a few years now and has been linked with a lot of big jobs. Rangnick is the one who has kept everything ticking. Halsenhuttl was hired on the back of his success with Ingolstadt and the way he kept them easily in the Bundesliga in their first season with limited resources (played very tight Football which goes against the grain really in Germany), he then had a tremendous first season with Leipzig in their first season in the Bundesliga.

I have been to a couple of RB Leipzig matches out of intrigue when in the area and also seen them a few times when in Bundesliga 2 when away, the crowd is very different to ones in other parts of the east and they lack away support, I am actually pretty surprised they have sold out at Spurs tonight as it’s a standing joke how poor their away support is, sometimes only in double figures in Europe. That’s where some of the hatred also comes from as people see them as really plastic but as I’ve touched on already that City has such strong links to right and left politics alongside football you can understand why many couldn’t be bothered getting involved with either main Club in the last 20 years or so and this is all a blessing for them, although I get the impression a lot of people who go aren’t from Leipzig by birth and are more ones who have moved there instead of ending up in Berlin to avoid the high rents.

It is very trendy to hate them, people can say it and often not have a response when you ask them what the big issues are. Leipzig is one of the most compelling Cities in Europe Football wise for me.

I'm another who doesn't get the hate for them. They are no worse than the likes of Chelsea, City or PSG.

Amazed that Red Bull generated the money to fund in these football/sports teams though. I can't believe their sales are so high when their product is so stinking!

I'm another who doesn't get the hate for them. They are no worse than the likes of Chelsea, City or PSG.
In Germany many fans of traditional clubs (Traditionsverein) see themselves as fighting a battle against 'modern football'. They are pissed off that a newly formed 'plastic' club can reach the last 16 of the Champions League in just 10 years.
Before Leipzig the most hated club was Hoffenheim. A former youth player became a billionaire with software company SAP. His money pumped them up from the amateur lower leagues to the Bundesliga in just 8 years. The thing is Hoffenheim is a village of 3,000 people so it's not so difficult to see why supporters of traditional clubs might view them as a plastic club.

In any case I don't t believe the majority of football fans in Germany really 'hate' Hoffenheim or Leipzig. I'm sure enough would be happy if Leipzig beat the 'traditional' club Bayern to the title this year.
The real hatred comes from the Ultras scene. These hardcore supporters from the terraces see themselves fighting for the very soul of football against the plastic seated new 'customers'.

Amazed that Red Bull generated the money to fund in these football/sports teams though. I can't believe their sales are so high when their product is so stinking!

The main difference for me is that, with the funds available to them, Red Bull could have just gone out and bought a load of ready-made stars and pumped them into all their teams, but they haven't. A lot of the players they've brought in - such as Werner, Forsberg, Mane, Keita - have come in for relatively small fees but with a huge amount of potential. They're proving very good at developing talent and selling them on. The movement of players between the various clubs seems a little off, but I was surprised to see Haaland was allowed to go to Dortmund; I'd have put my house on him going to Leipzig.

6.79 billion cans a year?!?! The population of the world is 7.5 billion! Is that right? If it is it’s incredible! You’re right, it’s rotten!
Generally sold in packs though, so like 4, 8, 24 etc. Would imagine a large amount of the numbers are accounted for from sales to pubs that buy it in bulk too.

I used to drink RB and Vodka, but switched to Monster simply due to the can size.

how on earth?

its absolute piss water

1st of it is probably the market leader in terms of Marketing a brand to come out of the 20th Century, especially the rapid growth.

2nd off the Alcohol mixer of choice for a lot of youngsters, especially Europeans, go to places like Vienna, Hamburg, Prague etc and the 18-30 generation literally only drink Red Bull with the spirits.

The marketing though, was and I am not exaggerating , probably a 20th Century master piece.

The main difference for me is that, with the funds available to them, Red Bull could have just gone out and bought a load of ready-made stars and pumped them into all their teams, but they haven't. A lot of the players they've brought in - such as Werner, Forsberg, Mane, Keita - have come in for relatively small fees but with a huge amount of potential. They're proving very good at developing talent and selling them on. The movement of players between the various clubs seems a little off, but I was surprised to see Haaland was allowed to go to Dortmund; I'd have put my house on him going to Leipzig.

I was surprised at this also. He could have really made a difference in Leipzig's title challenge.

They have players coming through now and Bayern Munich II are playing in 3rd Liga

Yes, hence why they upped their game. They should be in that 3 Liga full time anyway, it ain't like the Bayern Regionalliga is full of quality - this Turkgurcu lot have pissed it with a few buys this season.

I don't see the problem apart from the insistance on changing club badges/colours.

Red Bull Rangers competing in the business end of European competition would be fine by me.
Nah I'd allow a stadium name change but how is the name not as important as badges/colours?

In Germany many fans of traditional clubs (Traditionsverein) see themselves as fighting a battle against 'modern football'. They are pissed off that a newly formed 'plastic' club can reach the last 16 of the Champions League in just 10 years.
Before Leipzig the most hated club was Hoffenheim. A former youth player became a billionaire with software company SAP. His money pumped them up from the amateur lower leagues to the Bundesliga in just 8 years. The thing is Hoffenheim is a village of 3,000 people so it's not so difficult to see why supporters of traditional clubs might view them as a plastic club.

In any case I don't t believe the majority of football fans in Germany really 'hate' Hoffenheim or Leipzig. I'm sure enough would be happy if Leipzig beat the 'traditional' club Bayern to the title this year.
The real hatred comes from the Ultras scene. These hardcore supporters from the terraces see themselves fighting for the very soul of football against the plastic seated new 'customers'.
Modern football is all about the 'customer'. Our Germanic cousins better get used to it. Personally I just find the story of RBL fascinating

People comparing them to Chelsea, City, PSG,... forget that in Germany they are extremely proud of their 50 + 1 rule. It's sacred to most football fans and also many of the clubs themselves. RB piss all over it.

As for RB: I don't really see why it's so amazing what they have done. They have spent ludicrous amounts of money when for example in the 2. Bundesliga (more money than the entire rest of league combined I believe). That's not special.

Sure, they play good football now but it's hardly a fairy tale.

People comparing them to Chelsea, City, PSG,... forget that in Germany they are extremely proud of their 50 + 1 rule. It's sacred to most football fans and also many of the clubs themselves. RB piss all over it.

As for RB: I don't really see why it's so amazing what they have done. They have spent ludicrous amounts of money when for example in the 2. Bundesliga (more money than the entire rest of league combined I believe). That's not special.

Sure, they play good football now but it's hardly a fairy tale.

Far from a fairytale but some going really when not signing proven players, their biggest signing in Bundesliga 2 flopped really in Selke. Plenty of Clubs can throw money about but not improve at the end of the day.

Wolfsb
Given most of their clubs come from buisness' is it that big a deal? Is it any different to say Wolfsburg?

Wolfsburg were viewed much the same until RB came along.

Wasn't about the business's per se, more to do with each region's industrial heritage and history.

Everyone hates them but if you take away the name change and shirt change what they have done is amazing really, recruitment is superb - amazed nobody has tried to get Rangnick. Business wise choosing Leipzig to do this has been a masterstoke, a huge City full of people basically sick of left and right wing Politics being related to Football. I don't like them myself but what they have done has taken the piss out of many Clubs who have sat idle and not moved with the times in a way.

What I love about German football is that almost every club right down to amatuer teams has an identity. Looking at St Pauli, obviously I prefer HSV, but I find it admirable how passionate they are about their identity. I've said a few times that although the Scum try to copy them, St Pauli stand by their beliefs and would have chased Griffiths and that other racist right out the club. Where as Celtic just claim to be left wing Antifa but worship some racists.

What I love about German football is that almost every club right down to amatuer teams has an identity. Looking at St Pauli, obviously I prefer HSV, but I find it admirable how passionate they are about their identity. I've said a few times that although the Scum try to copy them, St Pauli stand by their beliefs and would have chased Griffiths and that other racist right out the club. Where as Celtic just claim to be left wing Antifa but worship some racists.

When I go over half of the fun is going the local pubs/fan bars - real Football Culture. Going Dynamo Berlin/Hansa/Viktoria Berlin this coming weekend.

When I go over half of the fun is going the local pubs/fan bars - real Football Culture. Going Dynamo Berlin/Hansa/Viktoria Berlin this coming weekend.

There is a short doc on YouTube talking about football culture in Berlin and all the amatuer semi pro teams. They all have proper communities, exciting fan scenes, a great match experience and an identity. For example the clubs formed for the Turkish community etc. They all mean something.

You go to a game up here in the lower leagues and generally it's old punters shouting abuse and moaning to stewards about kids having fun.

The article posted by the OP indicates that Red Bull initially looked at St Pauli as a potential German franchise - that would NOT have ended well for them!

I support and follow the phoenix club SV Austria Salzburg, they made it up to the Ereste Division but ended up getting relegated after one season and have since fallen back down to the regional leagues. They still carry the biggest home and away support outside the top flight.

the fans had to go and register the clubs emblem and were able to register the old the clubs name and kept the same colours.

Red Bull where only going to allow the goalkeeper to wear purple socks but recognition of Austria Salzburg but the fans weren't happy so broke away.
SV Austria Salzburg is the CORRECT ANSWER.

Red Bull (or lawn ball) Leipzig doesn't sit well with the ethos of German football, being owned by the fans.

Having said that, why have so many locals switched their loyalties from the historic Leipzig club Lokomotiv and the other Saxon clubs?

SV Austria Salzburg is the CORRECT ANSWER.

Red Bull (or lawn ball) Leipzig doesn't sit well with the ethos of German football, being owned by the fans.

Having said that, why have so many locals switched their loyalties from the historic Leipzig club Lokomotiv and the other Saxon clubs?

I don't think they ever really had one to anyone in the area to be honest because of the right wing views involved at say LOK. Heard people ask the same before, it wasn't like all of a sudden 20/30k worth of people stopped going LOK and Chemie - they just never went Football full stop.

Last edited:

Ha, just found this when browsing historic LOK Leipzig attendances.

thenation.com/article/archive/berlin-wall-germany-soccer/

Worth a read on Leipzig Football Poltics. Amazing that you can buy a ticket online officially now for that Derby in April for 10 euros.

Last edited:
I liked Jena, lake next to the Ground with Fishermen on, that 80s Clock as well is some sight, went once and game was called off 10 mins before kick off - Stadium covered in snow. It is where Robert Enke was born.

Back