The Summer 2020 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

LLLG

For all the clamour surrounding Beale, you’d think he’d know that playing 8 defensive players against Hamilton at home isn’t going to help us in breaking them down.

Play a back four with Jack or Kamara sitting recycling the ball and let the rest of the attackers do their job.

In an ideal world I’d start with:

Jack

No.8 but mainly operating in the attacking part of the pitch (i.e a Turnbull)

Kerk
Hagi
Kent

Morelos/Roofe
Hagi has to be our focal point next season but he also needs that formation to support that!

Albertz_Was_King

For all the clamour surrounding Beale, you’d think he’d know that playing 8 defensive players against Hamilton at home isn’t going to help us in breaking them down.
Just to note, Beale reputation in the coaching world was always as a technical coach. Many of his drills had a heavy technical focus.

I was surprised slightly just how involved he was in the tactical training of the players and match-day setup.

For comparison, the much maligned Ian Cathro was a technical coach and acted as such when in Portugal and Spain. In Scotland though, anyone who isn't your traditional type tend to get boxed into this "Mini-Mourinho tactician" hole, when that is not their area of expertise at all.

Uncle Albert

Good post. Midfield needs addressed
We have midfielders that folk quote they would like £8-10M for and I couldn't tell you what the do.

Not goalscorers, low assists, don't dictate play, not leaders. Just quite tidy (at times) and pop the ball off to the full backs.

There seems to be a big emphasis on this flat 3 in midfield that is very well drilled almost like a back 4 in European games and it does work but as others have said there's zero need for it in 90% of our matches.

LLLG

Just to note, Beale reputation in the coaching world was always as a technical coach. Many of his drills had a heavy technical focus.

I was surprised slightly just how involved he was in the tactical training of the players and match-day setup.

For comparison, the much maligned Ian Cathro was a technical coach and acted as such when in Portugal and Spain. In Scotland though, anyone who isn't your traditional type tend to get boxed into this "Mini-Mourinho tactician" hole, when that is not their area of expertise at all.
Gerrard should be doing the tactics and Gary MAC doing the talking

DJ_RFC_1872

Never heard of Dario Vizinger, but here is is YouTube video...

Standard of opposition is not good but he seems to have a lot to his game. Some tidy finishing, a lot of good link up play and also looks a threat playing out wide.
[/QUOTE]
Good shout sign him.

Albertz_Was_King

Watching Joe Aribo drop into essentially a full-back position to receive a pass square from one of our centre backs with the other central midfielder parallel on the opposite side, is and was genuinely one of the most mental tactics I have ever seen.

Thing is we did it over the entire season, just with different personell.

Up there with Caixinha's complete tactical messes.

I have never and will never get it.

Ozgers182

The whole vizinger link seems to simply be a poster making a suggestion rather than an actual rumour.
Seems a promising player though, I'm sure Wilson is scouring markets like this.

KGR98

Daily Mail linking us and bheasts from the east to Dejan Ljubicic Austrian centre mid from Rapid Vienna fee quoted is £2 million.It was him who scored Vienna's goal in that season's Europa League when we went over there.

ICA_86

Our whole setup is so conservative and risk-averse.

Play like we are playing top European sides when we are playing Hamilton at home.

Never ever take the hand-brake off.

The midfield alone is mind-numbing stuff. You can't cram so many slow, non-creative footballers in the middle of a football pitch and expect to go on any run of wins in any league
All very accurate sadly.

You can tell that Gerrard’s taken a lot from Benitez.

Ke55y

All very accurate sadly.

You can tell that Gerrard’s taken a lot from Benitez.
A bit harsh we played some off the best football I've seen at Ibrox for a very l9ng time ....That said the drop off from Dubai was also utterly bizarre as we were shite from then. Personally I think we will destroy everything in front of us domestically this season just a feeling

Mview83

Official Ticketer

Play like we are playing top European sides when we are playing Hamilton at home.

The midfield alone is mind-numbing stuff. You can't cram so many slow, non-creative footballers in the middle of a football pitch and expect to go on any run of wins in any league
But we did go on a run of wins and accumulated a lot of points in the league with that midfield pre New Year last season.

Mview83

Official Ticketer
It obviously lacked consistency for a reason, twice.
I’m not saying we didn’t, and we need to address why the wheels come off so spectacularly, but to say we wouldn’t be able to string a run of results together with that midfield clearly isn’t accurate given our domestic form in the first half of the season.

JMCK

I’m not saying we didn’t, and we need to address why the wheels come off so spectacularly, but to say we wouldn’t be able to string a run of results together with that midfield clearly isn’t accurate given our domestic form in the first half of the season.
I don't believe we would. You've already explained it in a sense, they play well without the real pressure; that can't be a Rangers midfield. How many times in the past three seasons have our teams had a chance to be ahead and stay there?; and yet every time they have blown it.

Stuart_WATP

Agree with this, need to take more attacking risks at home v SPL dross. Should be going with Morelos and Defoe from the start, attacking wide players and drop one of Kamara/Davis/Arfield/Jack in a rotation system.

We are too tentative at times and don't believe in ourselves that we are vastly superior to these teams

Mview83

Official Ticketer
I don't believe we would. You've already explained it in a sense, they play well without the real pressure; that can't be a Rangers midfield. How many times in the past three seasons have our teams had a chance to be ahead and stay there?; and yet every time they have blown it.
“you don’t believe they would” what? I’ve already said that last season we showed we could go on a run of games with that midfield, which was the point in question. Do we need to change things? Yes we do clearly but to say we just weren’t capable last year or only played when there was no pressure there? Again inaccurate - it’s like the first half of last season didn’t exist for some folk.

Anyway this is supposed to be a signing thread so going to leave this now as it’s get side tracked again and I was moaning at posters a few pages back for doing the same.

SDF

I would really like McLean and Ferguson here; they would strengthen our midfield.
We need goals from midfield. Neither of them will do that.

I'm totally at a loss at what Lewis Ferguson is supposedly going to bring to the table other than the much fabled "getting it" and putting his foot in. I'm not saying he's not a decent player but he is absolutely not what we need right now.

Jamie

Watching Joe Aribo drop into essentially a full-back position to receive a pass square from one of our centre backs with the other central midfielder parallel on the opposite side, is and was genuinely one of the most mental tactics I have ever seen.

Seriously, get a fucking grip.

This the same tactics that had us right up there for the first 6 months of the league?

Caixinha played a fucking diamond against Celtic and had Jon toral at centre back against Motherwell.

Theresa May

I'm totally at a loss at what Lewis Ferguson is supposedly going to bring to the table other than the much fabled "getting it" and putting his foot in. I'm not saying he's not a decent player but he is absolutely not what we need right now.
This point in itself may well be a clichè - but let's for a second entertain the thought that Lewis Ferguson was not the son of Derek Ferguson, or nephew of Barry - do we think we'd be in any way interested, as fans, in bringing him to Ibrox? I somewhat doubt that.

At best, he's a slightly better than average Scottish midfielder. We openly deride the young Scottish players of others clubs on a regular basis, but conveniently rally behind the notion of signing this lad? The opinion that John McGinn was a real talent was very much in the minority on here - he's now ripping up the EPL. And, for the record, was a much better player than Lewis Ferguson at SPL level too.

cav

I also think that despite doing well in terms of winning games in the first half of the season there weren’t many occasions where we were blowing teams away either.Plenty of times I recall we were more grinding out results instead.
Second half of the season we didn’t manage to do that and it went to shit.

It doesn’t seem like rocket science to suggest we adopt a more attacking approach say,at home to the Hamilton’s of this world compared to other games in Europe or tough away games against the dhims etc

JMCK

McLean would be a good addition.

Stupots

Agree. Was so frustrating. Comes back to take it off their toes then squares it.

SDF

McLean would be a good addition.
At what price though ? Just because Norwich are going to get relegated doesn't mean we'll get him for buttons.

They were selling players to Championship rivals for over £10m last season.

McLean will cost serious money. Again, he's a good player but what does he bring different to the table ?

We need a serious upgrade if we're buying midfielders. I don't think McLean is any better than what we've got.