The Summer 2020 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Grigo Yossarian

Johnson scores winner for Preston (pen) at Derby

So last years EL money, merchandise deal, mygers and sold out season tickets.

Last seasons EL money, merchandise deal, mygers and sold out season tickets revenue must be a fair amount which more than covers incomings so far.
Also fringe players loaned out, let go or sold, should free up wages. Hopeful of a couple in, without any big names transferred out.
You’re right about these things being significant but despite them all even pre COVID we were still below break even for the last reported year the wee barra.

The club arent rolling in cash, despite obvious progress made.

ICA_86

They probablydon't otherwise Gerrard wouldn't be asking for them to be accelerated and Ross Wilson wouldn't be saying more are to come.
I would imagine Wilson’s working off two or three lists.

One if Alfredo goes for the £18-20m wanted, one of another player such as Kamara goes for the £7-10m that’s been rumoured and one should we not have any major sales.

I think the concern is in the potential quality of the ‘no major sales’ targets, but certainly no doubt that Wilson’s doing his job correctly.

Valley Bluenose

Last seasons EL money, merchandise deal, mygers and sold out season tickets revenue must be a fair amount which more than covers incomings so far.
Also fringe players loaned out, let go or sold, should free up wages. Hopeful of a couple in, without any big names transferred out.
All well and good, until you remember we ended the last accounting period heavily in deficit and that we have substantial running costs, including a first team wage bill that must now be in excess of £25m per year.

We are in a far better position than we were, and without player investment would probably be in the black. That’s not feasible though and I’d say the current spend to date probably puts us in a similar position to last season. We are far from awash with money and every home game missed in the EL is another circa £750k down on last seasons income.

PMB1872

Exactly. Match costs are massively down. Less police presence. Less electricity. Less stewarding.

And a lot of players out...Alnwick, Foderingham, Flanagan, Halliday, McCrorie, Holt, Rossiter, Docherty, Murphy alone off the top of my head.

bkerr72

Yeah it should but we can't continually rely on the directors bailing us out so the club has to start running itself and we know from what King has said in recent times that the club is run based on us making Europe every season. Wages were deferred for 3 months so that will have took a chunk out the budget then throw in the potential ticket revenue from 6 European home games as well. We've spent roughly £8-10m on 3 players, development fee for Bassey then throw in the signing on fees for the likes of Defoe, Balogun etc it will all add up.

Thats why I think we won't see much movement now until we know our fate in Europe. If we go through then yeah can see a few more signings if we go out then Alfie or Kamara will be sold to fund it.

Drumchapel-Bear

I would imagine Wilson’s working off two or three lists.

One if Alfredo goes for the £18-20m wanted, one of another player such as Kamara goes for the £7-10m that’s been rumoured and one should we not have any major sales.

I think the concern is in the potential quality of the ‘no major sales’ targets, but certainly no doubt that Wilson’s doing his job correctly.
I wouldn't be comfortable losing Kamara right now. He's the youngest of our midfielders and is always available for selection. Jack is quite injury prone and Davis can't be expected to play 50 games this season at 35 years of age.

Kamara will have a massive role to play this season. We should try and hold until after The Euros next summer. He has a good tournament there we could be on to a fortune for him because he's already on a lot of clubs radar due to how good his stats are at the moment.

Nathan9719972

Cost about 6/7m just for Swift alone and Preston didnt even entertain a bid of around 2m for Johnson haha
With Daniel Johnson, I feel we’ll leave it as late as we can to put pressure on Preston to sell, I wouldn’t be surprised if we got him for £2m however with more being paid upfront. Personally I think we are holding out till we see how far we can get in Europa qualifying as there maybe better windows of opportunity available

Gaz030191

With Daniel Johnson, I feel we’ll leave it as late as we can to put pressure on Preston to sell, I wouldn’t be surprised if we got him for £2m however with more being paid upfront. Personally I think we are holding out till we see how far we can get in Europa qualifying as there maybe better windows of opportunity available
I do agree but the Europe part.

With it being 1 game ties, then by September 25th we'll either be 1 game from the group stage, or out of Europe.

Could be a good draw not to mention the financial gain.

donka

The fact the window is open so close to the Jan window, assuming that one is still on schedule, really messes things up. While I want players in now, I would completely understand waiting the 11 weeks and securing them on a free precontract then trying to broker a cut price deal. Our squad is looking quite healthy just now, injuries aside.

Last edited:

Nathan9719972

The fact the window is open so close to the Jan window, assuming that one is still on schedule, really messes things up. While I want players in now, I would completely understand waiting the 11 weeks and securing them on a free precontract than trying to broker a cut price deal. Our squad is looking quite healthy just now, injuries aside.
Issue is these 11 weeks are absolutely crucial, we can’t afford to have a thin squad

LD5

We can't afford to leave it late, we need a centre mid in now.

LD5

We two in the midfield area, Number 8 and Number 10, I reckon we’ll get one in sooner and one towards the end of the window
If you mean #10 as in someone to play where Barker is playing then yes, I'd imagine we will loan someone in for that position and spend the money on the CM.

Nathan9719972

I think we need better quality than Johnson.
I keep on seeing this but no one is giving any other alternatives, I get the hype with European based players etc, due to Borna, Helander, Hagi and Katic However it’s a high risk market, our success rate from the English leagues has been far greater and they are more used to the British game and require less time settling in. Allowing time for settling in is one thing we can’t really afford this season.

NDC bear forever

I keep on seeing this but no one is giving any other alternatives, I get the hype with European based players etc, due to Borna, Helander, Hagi and Katic However it’s a high risk market, our success rate from the English leagues has been far greater and they are more used to the British game and require less time settling in. Allowing time for settling in is one thing we can’t really afford this season.
Just because someone can not say an alternative doesn’t mean they can’t say certain player isn’t good enough. For example, someone who only watches Rangers and Scottish Football could say Rory McKenzie isn’t good enough and we shouldnt sign him but according to you because they can’t offer an alternative then they are wrong?

Nathan9719972

Just because someone can not say an alternative doesn’t mean they can’t say certain player isn’t good enough. For example, someone who only watches Rangers and Scottish Football could say Rory McKenzie isn’t good enough and we shouldnt sign him but according to you because they can’t offer an alternative then they are wrong?
No, it’s more the fact we have this desire on FF to avoid the English leagues based on a couple of poor signings from Warburton.

Notooshabby

We have just shy of 3 weeks remaining before the window ends. There could be a couple/few twists and turns before the slamming shut of said window. The gaffer has said he needs "at least" one midfielder in, however this will be surely dependant on possible outgoings if we receive offers we can't refuse for any player. I'm putting my trust in our recruitment strategy to have covered all eventualities.

change consent