The Summer 2020 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Herbie53

I keep on seeing this but no one is giving any other alternatives, I get the hype with European based players etc, due to Borna, Helander, Hagi and Katic However it’s a high risk market, our success rate from the English leagues has been far greater and they are more used to the British game and require less time settling in. Allowing time for settling in is one thing we can’t really afford this season.
Utter shite, once again.

Saying “the British game” is ridiculous, each country in Britain has an entirely different style and standard of “game”. The styles are different in each league of English football never mind each country being the same.

NDC bear forever

Utter shite, once again.

Saying “the British game” is ridiculous, each country in Britain has an entirely different style and standard of “game”. The styles are different in each league of English football never mind each country being the same.
Yup. Ancelloti’s pre match interview at the weekend literally destroys Nathan point

Officer Yates

Utter shite, once again.

There is a saying ‘the British game’ I just means fast paced and physical. we do tend to play the same sort of way across Britain as a whole. Exceptions you would think are liverpool and Man City but even liverpool from what I’ve seen aren’t the typical ‘European technical’ side compared to city. I think that’s why klopp kinda has an edge over pep there

Nathan9719972

Utter shite, once again.

Our success rate is far better from the Championship/League 1, Goldson, Tavernier, Balogun, Aribo, Kent, Edmundson and Roofe all players who spent vast majority of there careers in the lower English leagues all seem very well suited to us. I completely understand the excitement of unknown talents from Europe ie Barisic and Hagi etc however our success rate is far better in the English leagues and I’m not going to be blinded by the And allowing the signing of Joe Garner 4 years ago put me off

albop

Our success rate is far better from the Championship/League 1, Goldson, Tavernier, Balogun, Aribo, Kent, Edmundson and Roofe all players who spent vast majority of there careers in the lower English leagues all seem very well suited to us. I completely understand the excitement of unknown talents from Europe ie Barisic and Hagi etc however our success rate is far better in the English leagues and I’m not going to be blinded by the And allowing the signing of Joe Garner 4 years ago put me off

the dury is still out on balogun and edmunston imo far too early to say there pass marks

kent and roofe were well known players and hardly unknowns, even goldson was'nt plucked from obscurity

aribo still has alot to prove as well as in playing well for a for entire season

Nathan9719972

From what time period do you want me to discuss. Also, our scouting department has only really entered the twenty first century recently.
I’m discussing the past 5/6 years, other than Garner we haven’t really had a major failure from the EFL, Waghorn, Windass and Crooks all commanded fees and we made a profit on each of them. We have this idea it’s a low quality high risk league simply due to Garner.

Portrushbear

I’m discussing the past 5/6 years, other than Garner we haven’t really had a major failure from the EFL, Waghorn, Windass and Crooks all commanded fees and we made a profit on each of them. We have this idea it’s a low quality high risk league simply due to Garner.
Russell Martin, Rob kiernan, Joe dodoo, Harry forrester, joey Barton, Jon toral

Or do you just completely forget some of the absolute shite we've been served up because it doesn't suit your agenda

wsb&warmy

I'd just like to point out that making a profit on a player does not necessarily mean that the signing was a success.

You're not really trying to say Matt Crooks was a successful signing Shirley?

Nathan9719972

I'd just like to point out that making a profit on a player does not necessarily mean that the signing was a success.

You're not really trying to say Matt Crooks was a successful signing Shirley?
Not successful but we didn’t make a loss, far less chance of making a loss on English based players

Nathan9719972

A lot of dead money on wages on useless players we ended up having to pay off to leave, so yes there were losses
Far less losses than the players I listed who were arguably on far higher wages. If you would rather we stopped shopping in England then your entitled to your opinion, I just don’t agree with it.

wsb&warmy

Not successful but we didn’t make a loss, far less chance of making a loss on English based players
Whether that's true or not, we shouldn't be signing players with only profit in mind. Yes that's obviously a part of transfers these days, especially for a club like ourselves, but with regards to your point in general, our scouting department shouldn't and won't be focussing on one particular 'market'.

Since Ross Wilson arrived, our dealings in the transfer market (incomings and outgoings) have improved massively in my opinion and that's why I couldn't care less if the player we sign is plying his trade in England or Estonia. I fully trust our scouting team now to do enough research to be confident that we won't be buying a pup no matter what league or country they're picked up from.

Herbie53

Far less losses than the players I listed who were arguably on far higher wages. If you would rather we stopped shopping in England then your entitled to your opinion, I just don’t agree with it.
No one has said not to shop in England, your claim was that there’s more value in English signings than there is in European signings and that signings from England don’t need time to settle, which is the ramblings of a nutcase. Aribo, Kent both examples of players from England taking some time to settle into the Scottish game

Portrushbear

I've never said we should stop shopping in England

I trust the management and Ross Wilson to have targets throughout europe, you can certainly get more value from Eastern Europe than English based players given the crazy fees being fired about down south

Nathan9719972

I've never said we should stop shopping in England

I trust the management and Ross Wilson to have targets throughout europe, you can certainly get more value from Eastern Europe than English based players given the crazy fees being fired about down south
Crazy fees that provided us with Tavernier for £250k, Goldson for £3m, Kent for £7m(of whom we are now valuing in excess of £20m), Edmundson for £700k, Aribo for £300k there is value in the English market, you just need the right scouting network in place, it’s very good market if you know well enough and we now do

Portrushbear

Crazy fees that provided us with Tavernier for £250k, Goldson for £3m, Kent for £7m(of whom we are now valuing in excess of £20m), Edmundson for £700k, Aribo for £300k there is value in the English market, you just need the right scouting network in place, it’s very good market if you know well enough and we now do
The problem with the English Market we are now looking a genuine starter for the centre midfield, and for that you are going to pay through the nose, we aren't really in a position to have a developmental type player like kent/aribo/edmundson come in and blow a bit hot and cold

We will be forced to pay for consistency and experience which is where i believe you may well get better value in Mainland Europe

Nathan9719972

The problem with the English Market we are now looking a genuine starter for the centre midfield, and for that you are going to pay through the nose, we aren't really in a position to have a developmental type player like kent/aribo/edmundson come in and blow a bit hot and cold

We will be forced to pay for consistency and experience which is where i believe you may well get better value in Mainland Europe
Kent came as a starter, as did Aribo. To suggest they are development players is mental

Portrushbear

Kent came as a starter, as did Aribo. To suggest they are development players is mental
Kent came as a loan, proved himself and then was bought so there was familiarity which negated the risk , aribo we only got for that money because of the cross border ruling, last I checked there aren't any of those available down there now, those deals tend to be done early so I wouldn't take it as a proper comparison, if we were looking to sign someone like aribo who is in contract (which is the market we are in now) then we would be paying huge money for him

Exactly. Match costs are massively down. Less police presence. Less electricity. Less stewarding.

And a lot of players out...Alnwick, Foderingham, Flanagan, Halliday, McCrorie, Holt, Rossiter, Docherty, Murphy alone off the top of my head.
We made a large loss despite reaching ÉL group stages.
There are no guarantees we will qualify his year.
This if coupled with no fans at EL games this season will leave a financial hole in excess of 15 million.
If Alfie isn’t sold I suspect another asset may go.

Yeah it should but we can't continually rely on the directors bailing us out so the club has to start running itself and we know from what King has said in recent times that the club is run based on us making Europe every season. Wages were deferred for 3 months so that will have took a chunk out the budget then throw in the potential ticket revenue from 6 European home games as well. We've spent roughly £8-10m on 3 players, development fee for Bassey then throw in the signing on fees for the likes of Defoe, Balogun etc it will all add up.

Thats why I think we won't see much movement now until we know our fate in Europe. If we go through then yeah can see a few more signings if we go out then Alfie or Kamara will be sold to fund it.

ald

I am honestly not sure why people bother with Nathan - either reading his posts or responding to him. I have him on Ignore (the only person on FF that I use the Ignore function for) and it means that I don’t have to read his nonsense. This thread is wacky enough at the best of times without having to endure Nathan’s posts. The Ignore function is your friend on that front.

BaTmAn

I am honestly not sure why people bother with Nathan - either reading his posts or responding to him. I have him on Ignore (the only person on FF that I use the Ignore function for) and it means that I don’t have to read his nonsense. This thread is wacky enough at the best of times without having to endure Nathan’s posts. The Ignore function is your friend on that front.
There's an odd, masochistic pleasure in seeing that he's posted something new.

change consent