The Summer 2020 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Ross_

Official Ticketer
Everybody on here wanted him chased when he was at us.

Just another example of a player getting better the longer they’re not at the club.

candeias, 4 times out of 5, couldn’t get a ball passed the first defender.

because he ran about a lot, and looked busy, people interpreted that as him being constructive.

He wasn’t.
He was a "try hard" his end product in goals and assists wasnt high enough ... assume when signed Ojo was given the remit of X goals and assists - whatever happens we need our wide players ( 2 number 10s whatever we call them) to chip in with goals - without Alfie our current team / midfield lacks goals.

Starting Anew

Both would make us far better teams but Dorsch/Skov Olsen/Toney would give us an insane first 11
Who is Toney? Is he the guy at Peterburgh? Great goal rate but pretty low level league. Similar to Alfie in that he has the potential to replicate it at a higher level but it’s a big gamble. And he’s a bit older. I wouldn’t want to be risking big money on him.

And folk can’t say the SPL is league 1 level. It’s not. It’s far better than that. SPL is mid-championship level. Even the poor SPL sides are comparable to poor Championship sides.

LD5

I'm going to take a wild punt and say the amount of times you have seen any of those 4 players play is limited.
I mean, for starts I mentioned 3 players not 4. I haven't seen Dorsch much but I've seen a fair bit of Toney last season and watched Skov Olsen a few times last season and a couple of times the year before. It was a shite punt ye took.

LD5

Who is Toney? Is he the guy at Peterburgh? Great goal rate but pretty low level league. Similar to Alfie in that he has the potential to replicate it at a higher level but it’s a big gamble. And he’s a bit older. I wouldn’t want to be risking big money on him.

And folk can’t say the SPL is league 1 level. It’s not. It’s far better than that. SPL is mid-championship level. Even the poor SPL sides are comparable to poor Championship sides.
I wouldn't quite say that, Stoke/Charlton etc would scud Hamilton and Ross County IMO. But regarding Toney, his goal return is brilliant but all round as a player most people acknowledge he is a level above for that league. Whether he could cut it at Prem level right now is another question but I would be pretty confident of him doing it in the SPL.

Starting Anew

I wouldn't quite say that, Stoke/Charlton etc would scud Hamilton and Ross County IMO. But regarding Toney, his goal return is brilliant but all round as a player most people acknowledge he is a level above for that league. Whether he could cut it at Prem level right now is another question but I would be pretty confident of him doing it in the SPL.
I always like us buying the best at lower levels as there is a good chance that they’ll step up. But it has to be the right price. If figures of £5mill plus are being offered for a player who hasn’t done anything beyond league 1 level, then that’s just too big a gamble in my opinion. That’s peanuts by English standards and worth a punt. But we can’t take a punt at that value.

LD5

Spending 5,6,7m on Toney would be utterly mental imo.
The max I'd spend on him would be £4m but with the English market I reckon someone will pay a fair bit more, and at that price I reckon we could get someone who has either done it in a better league or younger. Dessers was statistically one of the top strikers in Eredivisie at a similar age to Toney and is going for like £3.5m.

Opta

He isn’t consistent.

He plays well until December and then does %^*& all for the rest of the season.
As we play with one player scoring the goals basically, our season falls apart and has done so for 3 years.
He needs to be sold and Wilson is highly paid enough to go and find his replacement(s).
So does our whole team, do we go and sell every player?

Sam Minella

The max I'd spend on him would be £4m but with the English market I reckon someone will pay a fair bit more, and at that price I reckon we could get someone who has either done it in a better league or younger. Dessers was statistically one of the top strikers in Eredivisie at a similar age to Toney and is going for like £3.5m.
Quite liked the look of Dessers when he was mentioned on here, similar mould to Morelos, but it appears he's away to Genk.

Starting Anew

Because of the level he has played at?
to be fair, Lawrence Shankland is a bear, has a better goals ratio playing in a higher league, has performed at international level, and is available for less than £5mill.

i don’t especially want Shankland. But it puts Toney in context. He could be great. But ‘could’ is not worth £5mill. For £5mill I want ‘should.’

PedrosCaravan

to be fair, Lawrence Shankland is a bear, has a better goals ratio playing in a higher league, has performed at international level, and is available for less than £5mill.

i don’t especially want Shankland. But it puts Toney in context. He could be great. But ‘could’ is not worth £5mill. For £5mill I want ‘should.’

You are daft if you think Scottish Championship is a higher league than league one in england!

Tugay83

You can't compare the level that Shankland has scored at to Toney. League 1 is a far higher level than the Scottish Championship.

UnionCruiser72

Scottish championship is probably conference level football and we would need to pay money for him that he’s not worth.

Also what does him being a bear have to do with it? Does it somehow make him a better player?

CR5

I wouldn't touch Toney at any price, league one to Rangers is a massive step up and it's not worth the risk at this stage.

JMCK

You can't compare the level that Shankland has scored at to Toney. League 1 is a far higher level than the Scottish Championship.
He still makes a good underlying point. Toney brings no guarantees, and for the kind of money quote can we afford the risk? I don't know anything about him I should add.

LD5

The Scottish Champ isn't even close to English League 1 mate. As £5m is quite a sizeable amount of our budget it will always be a gamble and I agree that at that price we should aim for someone with as little worry around them as possible, though I would say Toney isn't a normal league 1 top scorer like a Garner, Matty Taylor, Marquis type. He is quite a step above anything else in the league.

Drumchapel-Bear

I agree; when I watched it years ago it was poor even then.
He could be the next Vardy. Or the next Joe Garner.

Toney is 24 as well he's hardly a 19 year old who's just burst onto the scene, he's been around a bit, farmed out to numerous lower league clubs over the years and he's just had his breakout season at 24.

If he was on a bosman my views on taking a punt on him would be different. I just think the cons far outweigh the pros in terms of throwing a big fee at him.

JMCK

He could be the next Vardy. Or the next Joe Garner.

Toney is 24 as well he's hardly a 19 year old who's just burst onto the scene, he's been around a bit, farmed out to numerous lower league clubs over the years and he's just had his breakout season at 24.

If he was on a bosman my views on taking a punt on him would be different. I just think the cons far outweigh the pros in terms of throwing a big fee at him.
Have you any thoughts on us being linked with Roofe?

Trueblueal

If we were to have a chance of getting both Kerk and Skov Olsen could there be a chance Roofe and Kent swap places? Remember Kent was on the plane to Belgium before we got him, and £7m values is a straight swap.

JMCK

He's a very good player. The fans would love him.

He's nothing like Alfie though. Which intrigues me more than anything as if he's who Gerrard and Beale want to replace Alfie it means we are going with a different sort of style next season.
I agree, if the clips of his goals are anything to go by; he appears to have a very good first touch, then the rest. I'd be delighted if we got him.

CR5

If we were to have a chance of getting both Kerk and Skov Olsen could there be a chance Roofe and Kent swap places? Remember Kent was on the plane to Belgium before we got him, and £7m values is a straight swap.
If we got Kerk, Skov Olsen and Roofe I would genuinely sack Gerrard if we weren't at least 5 points clear by January.