Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we?

Davis, kamara, jack, lundstrom, Kelly and arfield.

zungu didn’t really contribute last season (I know he had a few last 10 min appearances) so we are essentially two men up this year. Lundstrom and Kelly.

clearly more would be nice. But we have 2 for each position in there.
Kelly's unproven, jack lucky if he plays a third of the fixtures, and arfield had injury issues last year.

I think we are good to go as it is but Gerrard will push for better - thats why we are lucky to have him!!

I’m still amazed and slightly insulted that we don’t have a Q of teams bidding for Kamara, he’s not even a rough diamond anymore - he’s a diamond

I will always see Greg Stewart as a good purchase.

He was never really bought for the first team, but his signing represented an important step on our way to increasing the quality and professionalism of our squad, not just our starting 11. His ticking the box for homegrown in Europe also was a feather in his cap, and likely led to those who actually started feeling they were in the team on merit rather than being the only credible option. And I don't think there will be many complaints with how the overall squad has performed in Europe or progressed domestically since Stewarts arrival.

A classic squad player signing, who should be judged for his impact on the first 11 rather than direct contributions on the park in my opinion.

Is that fair, or just me being too generous?
Nah that's fair he was a good squad option when first signed but as the quality stepped up he didn't feature as much. He could easily have just chucked it last season but he didn't he stuck at it. He's one of us that lived the dream playing for the club he supports leaving with a league medal round his neck doesn't get much better than that for him.

He would be a good signing for any club in the SPFL bar them. Hope he gets a club soon and wish him well wherever he ends up.

I think we are good to go as it is but Gerrard will push for better - thats why we are lucky to have him!!

I’m still amazed and slightly insulted that we don’t have a Q of teams bidding for Kamara, he’s not even a rough diamond anymore - he’s a diamond

No one knows if there is or isn't loads of teams looking at him.

The Kelly debate is interesting. I get the argument for him staying and being around the squad but if we sign Veerman (or another) and Jack stays fit this season (he will start in the Davis role ahead of Kelly if fit), Kelly will barely play more than a handful of games. I think it would be more beneficial for him to go out on loan again and get 30 plus games under his belt at a decent level.

He is at that age now though where he needs to be playing and if you're going to be good enough to break into the team you need to make the leap so it is a tricky one.

Edmundson deal has a promotion windfall bonus supposedly if they go up.

Stuff like this, the bonus structures/sell ons is long overdue when we punt players.

The Kelly debate is interesting. I get the argument for him staying and being around the squad but if we sign Veerman (or another) and Jack stays fit this season (he will start in the Davis role ahead of Kelly if fit), Kelly will barely play more than a handful of games. I think it would be more beneficial for him to go out on loan again and get 30 plus games under his belt at a decent level.

He is at that age now though where he needs to be playing and if you're going to be good enough to break into the team you need to make the leap so it is a tricky one.

Realistically to go on loan that decent level needs to be either down south (Championship) or one of the sides battling for 3rd in Scotland.

He had a season in the Championship with Ayr United, and has then had a season in the Premier League with Ross County.

There would be no point loaning him out again to a side of similar ilk to County again, as realistically he needs a step up again if he was to go out on loan.

Realistically to go on loan that decent level needs to be either down south (Championship) or one of the sides battling for 3rd in Scotland.

He had a season in the Championship with Ayr United, and has then had a season in the Premier League with Ross County.

There would be no point loaning him out again to a side of similar ilk to County again, as realistically he needs a step up again if he was to go out on loan.

Agreed.

Going from pre season games, middleton could be that left back cover youre after
Never in a month of Sundays. He’s not a left-back. I have a lot of time for Middleton but his role is in the forward line, I don’t think Stevie G has done him any favours shifting him around left-back, midfield, left-wing, right-wing, and the guy looks lost and confused by it all at times. Front three or nowhere for me.

As it happens I don’t see him having quite enough to make it at Ibrox anyway and he may be moved on permanently.

I'm all for youth players making the breakthrough but I'm also in favour of buying players who we can in turn sell on for profit.

If it's the right player and the fee is within reach then maybe we are looking at long term successor to Davis and Jack.

Maybe the management want a different type of player to change how the midfield currently plays.

Big gamble to make it through the qualifiers with what we have available to us. Lot of cash to gamble against but probably too late now anyway to add and bed in a player or 2 in time.

Edmundson deal has a promotion windfall bonus supposedly if they go up.

Stuff like this, the bonus structures/sell ons is long overdue when we punt players.
Works both ways though, I‘m sure I read a media report that Edmundson’s former club had a 20% sell-on fee. Not sure where I read it now though.

Big gamble to make it through the qualifiers with what we have available to us. Lot of cash to gamble against but probably too late now anyway to add and bed in a player or 2 in time.

In what way is it a big gamble? We've improved a squad that made it to the last 16 of the Europa League last season and went a full domestic league campaign unbeaten.

Is there any particular players out there that you think we should have signed that would ensure these qualifiers weren't a gamble?

The qualifiers this season are a free shot in a way given if we win the league then we automatically go in next season. We need 3 or 4 teams to go out to even have a shot at being seeded in the draw next week which is unlikely. Its going to be extremely difficult to qualify for the Champions league this season and to be honest another year in the Europa league does us no harm.

Winning the tie v Malmö/HJK is probably what will boil down to us getting a player like Veerman in earlier in August rather than right at the deadline.

£5m for the winner of the tie PLUS guaranteed money from entering the Europa Group Stage if we falter at the playoff round.

Yup which in effect would likely rule them out of playoff round due to registration, isolation etc

The qualifiers this season are a free shot in a way given if we win the league then we automatically go in next season. We need 3 or 4 teams to go out to even have a shot at being seeded in the draw next week which is unlikely. Its going to be extremely difficult to qualify for the Champions league this season and to be honest another year in the Europa league does us no harm.

I think CL groups are extremely doable. Taking it just one step at a time I expect us to have way too much for Malmo/HJK and from there it's only one more obstacle.

I would agree another season in the Europa would be tolerable but extremely disappointing initially. That's providing the yahoos didn't make it there either, which would be intolerable if we didn't and they did. But I give them two chances. Slim and no chance.

He was never really bought for the first team, but his signing represented an important step on our way to increasing the quality and professionalism of our squad, not just our starting 11. His ticking the box for homegrown in Europe also was a feather in his cap, and likely led to those who actually started feeling they were in the team on merit rather than being the only credible option. And I don't think there will be many complaints with how the overall squad has performed in Europe or progressed domestically since Stewarts arrival.

A classic squad player signing, who should be judged for his impact on the first 11 rather than direct contributions on the park in my opinion.

I dont think we should ever, now anyway, be signing players unless they are seen as good enough to start or going to be so in the future.

He never seemed to be either of those things.

he wasn't a nailed on starter for Ross County last year. i think he needs to play in a better team to really show what he can do. he needs good players around him who will keep the ball more. he might be better being at Rangers and playing 10 games and some time off the bench

Winning the tie v Malmö/HJK is probably what will boil down to us getting a player like Veerman in earlier in August rather than right at the deadline.
I’m beginning to wonder now if we will spend big on that position. Assuming everyone was fit and we don’t sell, we would have Kamara, Jack, Davis, Aribo, Arfield, Lundstram and Veerman. 7 senior players. It seems to me a more realistic prospect if we do sell someone.

We have more than enough to get through the Malmo/Helsinki tie imo but I really hope we push the boat out for our remaining targets add in 2 more quality players into the squad could give us a massive boost.

Anyone who tells me that kelly cant play with us is on another planet. Coming off a european game ross county etc at Ibrox. Not saying he plays 40 games but easily could
I would definitely have Kelly in the squad this season but he doesn't take us up a level.

I would still be looking to sign more quality and use Kelly as a back up in the games where we can rest Davis and also not to have rely on the fitness of Arfield and Ryan Jack.

Similarly with the RB position, there must have been plenty times that Tav has played through the pain barrier for us and also poor form as we saw towards the end of the 2019/20 season, we don't need him to do that now that we have a quality deputy available.

I dont think we should ever, now anyway, be signing players unless they are seen as good enough to start or going to be so in the future.

Definitely. It would be taking a step back now that we have this remarkable strength in depth. Incomings, in general, unless it's project players etc. must be at least comparable to the first pick man currently in his position.

Even better ideally. That's how we remain strong and become even stronger.

That's another facet of the challenge facing the yahoos, this squad depth Rangers have. While they're frantically trying to rebuild a first 11 we're strengthening ours and strengthening the back up too.

I'm wondering if they will have any squad depth worth talking about. I don't take enough interest in them to have much awareness of their second string.

But it simply cannot be of the quality of ours with their main focus on simply trying mould a first 11. And squad depth is crucial over the course of a league and domestic cups campaign.

Never in a month of Sundays. He’s not a left-back. I have a lot of time for Middleton but his role is in the forward line, I don’t think Stevie G has done him any favours shifting him around left-back, midfield, left-wing, right-wing, and the guy looks lost and confused by it all at times. Front three or nowhere for me.

As it happens I don’t see him having quite enough to make it at Ibrox anyway and he may be moved on permanently.
Spot on can't play left back if you can't tackle a fish supper lol

Think we may start to see some movement in terms of interest in our players now the EPL is starting to heat up transfer wise.

One thing is for sure however.

If we get to the CL groups and the likes of Kent, Kamara etc put in the types of performances regularly that we saw against Real we will absolutely see lots of interest in them. Kent in particular wouldn't have looked out of place in the Madrid line up and there's no better platform than the CL.

I’d just add, season before last I thought him and Defoe were largely responsible for some of our best football. They had a cracking relationship and didn’t miss a beat when we rotated from Europe into the league. Cracking stuff.

Also a big gamble to spend cash we potentially don't have, not saying thats the case, with the qualifier in mind. Veerman for example doesn't guarantee that we make it into the CL group stages.

Also a big gamble to spend cash we potentially don't have, not saying thats the case, with the qualifier in mind. Veerman for example doesn't guarantee that we make it into the CL group stages.

Would he even start though? It would be much more of a gamble to put him into a settled team for a Champions League qualifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back