Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gerrard says goldson not signed yet but when Connor is ready to sign he will sign?
It sounds to me as if there’s an offer to increase his wages significantly but only if we qualify for the Champions League. If we qualify then he’ll sign IMO.

It sounds to me as if there’s an offer to increase his wages significantly but only if we qualify for the Champions League. If we qualify then he’ll sign IMO.

Goldson has the same agent as John Lundstram and wants the same wage he is getting. That's what I heard anyway.

It's the truth though, if we'd paid millions for them people wouldn't have a ridiculous downer on them.

The 'usual crew' are just telling the truth.
No, they aren’t - for reasons I stated.

From the way it was spoke about by the manager we almost expected a Veerman type signing who instantly takes us up a level and walks straight in to the first 11.

From the way it was spoke about by the manager we almost expected a Veerman type signing who instantly takes us up a level and walks straight in to the first 11.

It's simplistic to have the view though that Gerrard meaning exciting signings only equates to spending millions on a player. When we signed Dado Prso on a bosman was that not an exciting signing or a signing that took us up a level? Boumsong?

Lundstram had various offers in the EPL and chose to come here. Sakala had a lot of options as well. They are hardly low profile, bosman signings mate.

he also stated after signing lundstram that one or two of quality will be added, so something must have changed

Perhaps we expected people to move on and bids haven't materialised, the squad is pretty big, strong in every position with good cover; Davis, Kamara, Lundstram, Arfield, Jack, Aribo, Kelly and could add Hagi to that all looking for a start in midfield. Sakala, Morelos, Itten Roofe, Wright, Kent, Aribo and Hagi all available up front.

There's not much room to add without pissing players off.

I can honestly say that if we don't sign anyone else i am happy with the additions to the squad. I think we will potentially sell a 1st team player if we don't reach the group stages of the CL.
All in all if we get shot of Barker, Jones and Hastie and bring in some £££ then its a very successful window.

Interest comments from Gerrard regards transfers, saying (imo) that there's not anyone actively involved in discussions at the moment and they'll review things over the next couple of games before deciding if they will go into the transfer market again. He usually drops a "may be some news to announce in a few weeks" if anything might be about to happen.

At this point, get the feeling that we're the only ones who are chasing veerman. B-D

Possibly expected players to move on and there's been no bids.

I am surprised folk are unhappy with the squad.
You’d have thought our new striker turning down the French champions and allegedly a side that came 6th in EPL last season would be exciting.

I wasn’t expecting any big money signings (Kent level) but wouldn’t object by any means :))

People are just looking for the cherry on top. You'd think that having spent nothing in transfer fees there'd be cash for a marquee purchase. My view is that our squad is so big, with so many players on improved contracts, our wage bill must be pretty hefty. No doubt we need to sell before we can buy again. Like when you used to max out your squad spaces in Champ Man.

Celtic did that... now look at them. It seems a simple concept. People dont appear to realise how difficult it is to continually do well in the transfer market. The truth is, we could sell Morelos for £20M and completely waste the money. Ending up an inferior team with nothing to show for it.

I agree with the concept, but the potential of this team and of certain players is yet to be realised. I would be delighted if the window shut right now. We were 1 poor performance away from a Europa quarter final and won the league at a canter. We can still improve, thats a scary thought for our opponents.

The riches of the Champions League also beckon. I see no reason to under-sell anyone at the moment, when the group stage money is still to be played for. It would be imprudent to sell Morelos for less than his worth, when he could help win us money, that would literally dwarf any fee, that we could actually command for him.

Its all about the bigger picture, the short-term highs, of, a big buy, or a big sell, only last so long before reality sets in. Listening to Gerrard today, hes clearly very aware, that the grass isnt always greener.
Porto, Benfica, Ajax and PSV are all clubs who spend more on players than us, still regularly sell their players and will see dips in quality of the squad if they don't get it right. That's the life of being a club not in a prestigious league. Using the tims as an example of why we shouldn't be selling our best players regularly isn't a good one, besides turning profit they've been run dreadfully the last few seasons and they are really starting to feel the effects of it now. We have a great manager who has some great coaches alongside him and we have a director of football who has a strategy, those are both things they haven't had since Rogers left them.

I also don't like putting all of our eggs into the champions league basket, not when we have to qualify for it which won't be easy and how easy or hard it is to qualify for in future years isn't just down to us but the other scottish teams competing in europe.

It's simplistic to have the view though that Gerrard meaning exciting signings only equates to spending millions on a player. When we signed Dado Prso on a bosman was that not an exciting signing or a signing that took us up a level? Boumsong?

Lundstram had various offers in the EPL and chose to come here. Sakala had a lot of options as well. They are hardly low profile, bosman signings mate.
Completely missing the point, on purpose.

So I’ll leave it there so as not to further derail this thread yet again.

People are just looking for the cherry on top. You'd think that having spent nothing in transfer fees there'd be cash for a marquee purchase. My view is that our squad is so big, with so many players on improved contracts, our wage bill must be pretty hefty. No doubt we need to sell before we can buy again. Like when you used to max out your squad spaces in Champ Man.

Not sure whether its a case of we ‘have’ to sell to get money, I think its more about the size of the squad and its now at the stage of one out one in.

It will be a helluva task trying to keep all the players happy as it is.

Porto, Benfica, Ajax and PSV are all clubs who spend more on players than us and still have to sell players and will see dips in quality of the squad if they don't get it right. That's the life of being a club not in a prestigious league. Using the tims as an example of why we shouldn't be selling our best players regularly isn't a good one, besides turning profit they've been run dreadfully the last few seasons and they are really starting to feel the effects of it now. We have a great manager who has some great coaches alongside him and we have a director of football who has a strategy, those are both things they haven't had since Rogers left them.

I also don't like putting all of our eggs into the champions league basket, not when we have to qualify for it which won't be easy and how easy or hard it is to qualify for in future years isn't just down to us but the other scottish teams competing in europe.

Fair points, however, these clubs regularly do well in Europe. Their leagues are also far higher regarded than ours. Theyve also all had years in the relative wilderness due to selling and not replacing players adequately, which also proves the point im making. It can lead to a cyclical nature, where you have to accept down years. Can we afford a down year, when Gerrard could choose to leave?

Like i said, im not opposed to the concept, im opposed to the timing. We are a club on the rise. We are one of the biggest stories in Europe relative to where we have come from.

By all means sell if we get an offer that we cant refuse. Only an imbecile wouldn't do that. Im talking about actively selling just because you get a chance to make a profit.

I know you say you "dont like gambling on the Champions League" we wouldnt be. We have numerous options still available if it fails. It is however option number one, if we wish to take the next step. Player trading will never amount to the level of riches commanded in that tournament.

Its a fair debate and i respect what you are saying, its certainly a valid opinion, but ultimately i reckon the directors and Gerrard know where this club needs to be playing in order to realise its true potential. Il say no more though, before i derail the thread further

You’d have thought our new striker turning down the French champions and allegedly a side that came 6th in EPL last season would be exciting.

I wasn’t expecting any big money signings (Kent level) but wouldn’t object by any means :))

I think Sakala and Lundstram improve our squad a fair bit from last season.

I know folk talk about the ‘starting 11’, but we don’t have one, probably only Goldson, Kent, Borna and McGregor are 100% starters when fit, even Tav and Alfie won’t be certain starters with the competition they have now.

Completely missing the point, on purpose.

So I’ll leave it there so as not to further derail this thread yet again.

''But the way Gerrard spoke we’d get signings that take the first 11 up a level.

Still to happen
.''

Your own words, not mine. Nice to see you've written Lundstram and Sakala off already.

I think Sakala and Lundstram improve our squad a fair bit from last season.

I know folk talk about the ‘starting 11’, but we don’t have one, probably only Goldson, Kent, Borna and McGregor are 100% starters when fit, even Tav and Alfie won’t be certain starters with the competition they have now.
Agree mate.

Rangers will wait to see where we lie as far as European competition is concerned before we commit any significant money. If one of the bigger players had left by now I’m sure we’d have acted and replaced them. They haven’t so we will go with the squad as is which is actually better than it was than when we played the last league game v the sheep given the additions of Lundstram and Sakala.

The constant need for us to sign or even just be linked with players is alien to me. Especially with a squad as strong as we have just now.

Another way to look at it is there's still players in our squad who haven't hit top gear yet for us or only shown glimpses of what they can offer.

I feel this season will be the making of Hagi, Aribo and Scott Wright - if those players can have a similar break through season in terms of sustained quality that Kamara and Goldson had last year then we will be onto a winner.

If Bassey and Simpson can stake a claim for a place in the same way as Patterson did last season also we are looking at potentially our best squad of players in 20 years.

We also have Itten who hopefully can get us 10-15 goals this season from limited starts and subs appearances.

We can always improve our squad but I genuinely don't see an area of concern in our entire squad.

I think most dealings will depend on if we get in the CL…

Goldson will sign a new deal and we’ll get Veerman in.

The feeling I get if we do sell anyone it’ll be Alfie.

I hope I’m wrong but I’m not convinced adding Sakala and Lundstram (as decent as they look on free transfers), is the exciting summer the gaffer was referring to when he spoke about interesting meetings

They are two players who would have probably cost us about 12 million (at least) if we had paid fees for them I would imagine Gerrard is pretty excited to work with them.

If we get to the end of this transfer window and all of our best players are still here I'd be delighted. Some will move, but if we keep our best players, with Lundstram and Sakala added to it, then we will have a very strong squad.

I reckon if we qualify for the Champions League then you’ll see us sign a quality player to add to the starting 11.

Celtic did that... now look at them. It seems a simple concept. People dont appear to realise how difficult it is to continually do well in the transfer market. The truth is, we could sell Morelos for £20M and completely waste the money. Ending up an inferior team with nothing to show for it.

I agree with the concept, but the potential of this team and of certain players is yet to be realised. I would be delighted if the window shut right now. We were 1 poor performance away from a Europa quarter final and won the league at a canter. We can still improve, thats a scary thought for our opponents.

The riches of the Champions League also beckon. I see no reason to under-sell anyone at the moment, when the group stage money is still to be played for. It would be imprudent to sell Morelos for less than his worth, when he could help win us money, that would literally dwarf any fee, that we could actually command for him.

Its all about the bigger picture, the short-term highs, of, a big buy, or a big sell, only last so long before reality sets in. Listening to Gerrard today, hes clearly very aware, that the grass isnt always greener.
I see where you’re coming from, but Celtic is like the one example of a club who’s done the first part okay but has no well thought out structure to replace the players. We do. You only have to see the likes of Ajax & Salzburg to see teams who’ve done the ‘buy low, develop, sell high’ with a player and then successfully replaced them using the same transfer formula. I’d say when we do eventually get ‘the ball rolling’ and start selling players we’ll be more similar to the clubs who do it successfully.

Last edited:

Me too. Glad we are past the days of massive amounts of players needing to be brought in or shipped out. SG had to do a huge rebuild when he arrived, to me it’s progress that we now see 2-3 signing. Progress is good, a settled squad is great.

I can't see us making any additions even if we make the CL.

I would only expect additions if players leave now, Veerman to me is a signing on the premise Kamara departs rather than to add to what we have, him as an addition along with what we have is incredibly excessive.

he also stated after signing lundstram that one or two of quality will be added, so something must have changed

Not having a go but every year transfers fall through, targets change. This happens at every club, why would we be different? Still plenty of time in the window and if nothing else happens the club, and squad, are in a pretty damn fine place.

Like everyone else I hope we are not finished in the market but if Fashion Sakala and John Lundstram are the only big additions, I reckon we are already stronger than last season.

I can't see us making any additions even if we make the CL.

I would only expect additions if players leave now, Veerman to me is a signing on the premise Kamara departs rather than to add to what we have, him as an addition along with what we have is incredibly excessive.
Agreed with this.

Our squad is enormous at the moment and the priority will be shipping more out the door.

Me too. Glad we are past the days of massive amounts of players needing to be brought in or shipped out. SG had to do a huge rebuild when he arrived, to me it’s progress that we now see 2-3 signing. Progress is good, a settled squad is great.

I know it was only a friendly, but last week vs Madrid we looked like a squad that had been together for a long time.

I listened to an English speaking Real Madrid podcast and they were really impressed by how organised we were, kept referring to us being a well oiled machine.

It's a wee bit boring having a settled squad during the transfer window, but I don't think we'll be too bothered that there hasn't been major changes once the games start.

I know it was only a friendly, but last week vs Madrid we looked like a squad that had been together for a long time.

I listened to an English speaking Real Madrid podcast and they were really impressed by how organised we were, kept referring to us being a well oiled machine.

It's a wee bit boring having a settled squad during the transfer window, but I don't think we'll be too bothered that there hasn't been major changes once the games start.
100% would we really want to be in the scum’s shoes with a huge rebuild ahead alongside a new manager? No thanks. I’d take a well oiled machine of a club everyday of the week.

If we qualify for the CL then maybe the priority should be to get some of our star players on longer deals. In addition to Goldson and Kamara we also have a number of players that have 2 years left on their deals such as Kent, Aribo, Helander

I have a slight concern we aren’t cashing in at the right time with players, Morelos being the biggest example. Only so many years he can be motivated for Scottish games and he also has two years left on his deal, which I think is fair to say him renewing isn’t likely, leaving us in a now or never situation to get his true value. It goes without saying that’s he a really good player but we have to start doing the selling part of ‘buy low, develop, sell high’.
Whilst I agree we can only sell players if offers are actually made. We've had a low ball offer from Porto for Alfie which wasn't anywhere near acceptable. That's the only concrete offer, that's been made public, that we know of.

If acceptable offers are made for Alfie or other players then we seriously need to start cashing in. It's the model we all hoped for to make us a sustainable club.

Whilst I agree we can only sell players if offers are actually made. We've had a low ball offer from Porto for Alfie which wasn't anywhere near acceptable. That's the only concrete offer, that's been made public, that we know of.

If acceptable offers are made for Alfie or other players then we seriously need to start cashing in. It's the model we all hoped for to make us a sustainable club.
There seems a fair chance Porto haven't actually made an offer, unless I missed something

The other lad they have, Octavian Popescu looks really exciting

only 18 but probably already out of our price range, FCSB’s chairman was claiming he’ll be the most expensive player ever from Romania
Aye, seen him linked with City, Inter.. teams like that

their owner is a madman though so it’s hard to take what he says seriously haha, seen yesterday he’s gonna release two players they’ve just signed after getting knocked out of Europe

I hope I’m wrong but I’m not convinced adding Sakala and Lundstram (as decent as they look on free transfers), is the exciting summer the gaffer was referring to when he spoke about interesting meetings with the board on trophy day last year. The Tims have regressed and failed to make themselves a regular CL club because they’ve failed to recruit the right quality, important for me we don’t do the same. As good as our squad is now, I’m not convinced it’s CL quality yet.
We can't afford champions league quality players they cost a lot of money. The squad as it stands is more than strong enough to win the league this season which is all that matters. The champions league is a bonus for us this season and given the quality of team we are due to face I don't expect us to get there. We've been down that road in the past trying to chase champions league money we can't go back to those days.

There is a month to go in the Transfer window. If we get acceptable offers in we will sell 1-2 players. I have confidence in the Management team they will have identified possible replacements and probably even made initial contact with them ready for this eventuality .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back