Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly doubt that last part now unless there was folk being sold. Jack’s injuries and the form of others make him a squad player currently. He won’t waltz in like he did before.

It’ll be a while before he’s up to speed anyway so can’t see him back anytime soon

I think he'll be back quicker than you think mate.

He's now completed a full pre season, so I wouldn't be suprised to see him against Dunfermline.

As for the last bit, he never waltzed in before, as all of him, Kamara, Davis, Aribo and Arfield were fairly regularly rotated by Gerrard.

However, in big European games and against the scum, he'll start in the majority.

Thought it was quite obvious last night the difference between the two teams was that Malmö were a large part into there season and they were all match fit. We weren’t, you could see a good portion of the first team last night weren’t match sharp. Things will look differently in the second leg for a lundstram or arfield when they have a bit more game time in there legs.

Arfield, Helander, Barisic & Lundstram all looked like players who are still far from fit last night, and were up against a side who are 13 games into their season and were as sharp/fit as they will be.

I would however like a quality addition added to the middle of the park (made more urgent if we had to lose Kamara), as alluded to in the thread Jack has a history of injuries for us and doesn't seem to get a regular run, Davis is 36 and can't be expected to play twice a week for the season, Arfield (33 this year) likewise as his position has always been the box-to-box style late running into the box.

Well you would think after saying we wouldn't win the league last season with the midfield we had you might have learned from it. Thankfully the manager is a better judge than yourself.
Well we won the league with a changed midfield in the main, actually played better football from midfield especially

We had a settled midfield for starters that wasn’t rotated as much

Get Aribo or Hagi back in there next week and it’ll improve ten fold

Have said in this thread already this summer that we needed more quality in the door to have a good crack at the CL. Last night is what happens when you fail to prepare properly in the transfer window for the CL. It happened to the Tims for years and we’ve laughed at them and it’s happened to us last night. Need to hope this group can scrape through next week and then hopefully the manager gets some cash to spend to improve his squad for the next round.
Last night had nothing to do with signings and more to do with the lack of match sharpness as well as having 5 or 6 players missing. They weren't better than us and we have more than enough to progress next week.

Last night had nothing to do with signings and more to do with the lack of match sharpness as well as having 5 or 6 players missing. They weren't better than us and we have more than enough to progress next week.
I hope you’re right. I saw nothing last night to make me confident of progressing next week.

Honestly doubt that last part now unless there was folk being sold. Jack’s injuries and the form of others make him a squad player currently. He won’t waltz in like he did before.

It’ll be a while before he’s up to speed anyway so can’t see him back anytime soon
Jacko is really fit and is going to massively surprise you. He’ll be on the bench minimum v Celtic ;)

You love a moan don't you? 11 players should hang their head in shame, you said last night. Gerrard said Helander and Davis were terrific, but you know better.
Just being realistic. We should never have been losing last night and we did. Hope we turn it round next week but I’ll be surprised without Roofe, Kamara and a fully fit Morelos.

Thought it was quite obvious last night the difference between the two teams was that Malmö were a large part into there season and they were all match fit. We weren’t, you could see a good portion of the first team last night weren’t match sharp. Things will look differently in the second leg for a lundstram or arfield when they have a bit more game time in there legs.
Exactly ,like us playing them in October FFS .

Jacko is really fit and is going to massively surprise you. He’ll be on the bench minimum v Celtic ;)
Last we were told was he had another exam to get the ok.

Again, no harm to him, I just dont think he’s a long term answer. We will revisit in a few months and see if he’s still fit and able.

Positive we will bring in a high quality midfielder

Arfield and Lundstram are both big lads and would naturally take more time to get to full speed/mobility. Davis, Hagi looking sharper but are more wirey built.

As it stands I don’t believe we have improved the starting 11 this summer or last summer.

We’ve undoubtedly improved the squad but if we want to go up a level then a Kent level signing i.e Veerman is required.

They tramps never done it year and year and look where their complacency got them.

Last we were told was he had another exam to get the ok.

Again, no harm to him, I just dont think he’s a long term answer. We will revisit in a few months and see if he’s still fit and able.
A toll gate in his recovery / post op recovery

Have said in this thread already this summer that we needed more quality in the door to have a good crack at the CL. Last night is what happens when you fail to prepare properly in the transfer window for the CL. It happened to the Tims for years and we’ve laughed at them and it’s happened to us last night. Need to hope this group can scrape through next week and then hopefully the manager gets some cash to spend to improve his squad for the next round.

What additional preparation do you propose we do?

We added an additional CB to our squad in January
We added an additional wide option in January who started last night

We were preparing then for this.

We added a midfielder and forward (very early in the window) who would have cost the best part of 15 million in fees.
We saw no exits out the door and have faced little turbulence in our squad.

What extra work do you realistically think we were (or even are) going to do.

I hope you’re right. I saw nothing last night to make me confident of progressing next week.
We will have Balogun, Hagi, Aribo and hopefully Alfie back. There's genuinely nothing to be worried about with them am not sure why anyone would fear next week bar 2 minutes of madness we weren't in any danger the whole night.

Jack will ‘waltz’ back into the side, and Supergers will be trotting out the same stuff next summer, just like last summer and the one before :cool:

Jack certainly won’t waltz back into the midfield. Eventually we will need to up the level of quality and that means replacing players like Ryan Jack. That’s not labelling him a dud, not good enough etc, it’s how football works if you want to continue to improve. We all know what Ryan Jack is capable but can he prove he is free from injury and take his performances to that next level?

Potentially Davis last season, Kamara will eventually be sold. Arfield struggles with niggles, question marks over Jack. The midfield needs addressed. The same discussions were appearing last season and it’s no different now. No surprise we’ve been linked to the likes of Harroui, Hamed, Veerman and Özcan.

Jack is Gerrard’s go to guy for a reason.

You even saw the improvement he made to the international team before he was injured, and the impact after he was injured.

An unheralded but vital player. It was noticeable that he was out in the Slavia ties, and last night.

What additional preparation do you propose we do?

We added an additional CB to our squad in January
We added an additional wide option in January who started last night

We were preparing then for this.

We added a midfielder and forward (very early in the window) who would have cost the best part of 15 million in fees.
We saw no exits out the door and have faced little turbulence in our squad.

What extra work do you realistically think we were (or even are) going to do.
We should have had a midfielder signed (like Veerman) and bedded into the squad before any of our CL qualifiers started. Would also have liked to have seen a quality CB brought in too.

We will have Balogun, Hagi, Aribo and hopefully Alfie back. There's genuinely nothing to be worried about with them am not sure why anyone would fear next week bar 2 minutes of madness we weren't in any danger the whole night.
Neither were they though. We created nothing and didn’t look like creating anything either. We got lucky with a deflected effort in the last minute. They deserved their win last night and they’ll rightly be confident about qualifying.

Jack certainly won’t waltz back into the midfield. Eventually we will need to up the level of quality and that means replacing players like Ryan Jack. That’s not labelling him a dud, not good enough etc, it’s how football works if you want to continue to improve. We all know what Ryan Jack is capable but can he prove he is free from injury and take his performances to that next level?

Potentially Davis last season, Kamara will eventually be sold. Arfield struggles with niggles, question marks over Jack. The midfield needs addressed. The same discussions were appearing last season and it’s no different now. No surprise we’ve been linked to the likes of Harroui, Hamed, Veerman and Özcan.
Nailed it

We should have had a midfielder signed (like Veerman) and bedded into the squad before any of our CL qualifiers started. Would also have liked to have seen a quality CB brought in too.
Ideally it would have happened but financially we are still not able to just do that. That’s why winning this Malmö tie is vital in terms of getting the desired quality in

Neither were they though. We created nothing and didn’t look like creating anything either. We got lucky with a deflected effort in the last minute. They deserved their win last night and they’ll rightly be confident about qualifying.
They didn't deserve their win at all that's just nonsense a draw would have probably been a more fair outcome on the balance of the game.

We are in absolutely no place to spend that kind of money without either players leaving or CL money.

A quality CB who improves our first team is in the region of about 5 million pound, at least, you are advocating us spending about 12 million pounds here in fees alone, that is incredible

We’ll see, Gerrard, rightly, loves him, even if some fans under appreciate what he brings to the whole shape of the team..

And Lundstrum even worse.
Is Tav done because of the short pass, overlap and then not getting back?

Is Goldson done for his Bambi on Ice impression (twice)?

I don’t think they are!

last night as a unit we played badly, with a couple of individual errors costing us badly, but we beat them slightly on possession and overwhelmingly on corners. They had three shots and scored two!

We were missing Balogun, Jack, Kamara, Aribo, Roofe and Morelos. They would have been at full strength.

The rangers match analysis team will be working away now and will come up with a plan along with Gerarrd and his team as to how we crack them open at Ibrox, which we will.

The most important factor is we get behind the team 100% (every player) and get Ibrox rocking next Tuesday night! If a Lundstrum or an Arfield misplaces a pass after five minutes we don’t get on their backs!

This.

I can't believe the number of people on here who, all summer, have been saying that we don't really need to add to the midfield. "We have plenty", "We are well covered in there" etc. :rolleyes:

It's the key area requiring attention imo.

We are in absolutely no place to spend that kind of money without either players leaving or CL money.

A quality CB who improves our first team is in the region of about 5 million pound, at least, you are advocating us spending about 12 million pounds here in fees alone, that is incredible
Like I’ve said previously, we’ve got to speculate to accumulate. We’ve spent 10-15m most summers since Gerrard has come in without the chance to earn 40m from CL qualification. This is absolutely the summer we should have been doing so.

Kamara is missing due to suspension. Do we splash out on a 'CL' quality replacement for 3 games? How much do you think it would cost with no actual guarantee that we would qualify? Shit happens in football.

His lack of mobility was on show last night and he was effectively second to everything.

It was a brutal performance likewise from Lundstram who didn't appear to enjoy is more defensive position, Borna was dreadful and looked miles off the pace.
At least wait til the guys have played a few games in. We'll come good,we haven't clicked just yet,but we will. Friendlies I don't really count,yes getting minutes into the legs but there is a kind of gala feeling and so many changes are made but in terms of that level there's a few gears for us to go yet I think.

20mil bid for Kent been made? Anyone heard the same?. He's the one I don't think we can afford to lose. Hope its rubbish.

20m is not enough.

We shouldn’t even be entertaining bids until we know where we stand re UEFA Group stage football.

I’m sure Ross Wilson will politely tell clubs where to go, unless they’re wanting to buy players that are surplus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back