Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff costs were just over £42m in the last reporting period.

I’d expect them to go north of £45m for the operating period ending this month.

£42m seems extremely high, say non playing staff wages are £5m and playing staff wages are £37m we have 33 squad players, that works out an average of £22k per week.

Our starting 11 might be on about £22k per week on average, but I can't see the 33 man squad working out at £22k per week.

They have been good players for the club and have played well, but it is bad business having older guys with no resale value who are probably on an extremely high wage. It might be good having a couple first choice ones like McGregor and Davis who are quality despite their age, but guys like Defoe, Balogun and Arfield are probably on a really high wage and have no resale value and are not first choice, it would be better business using the millions spent of their wages on signing young guys who will have a resale value.

In his time at the club Rangers have possibly paid Defoe about £5m in wages and we have no possibility of seeing any of that money back in a transfer fee, that is not good business even though he seems nice guy.

£42m seems extremely high, say non playing staff wages are £5m and playing staff wages are £37m we have 33 squad players, that works out an average of £22k per week.

Our starting 11 might be on about £22k per week on average, but I can't see the 33 man squad working out at £22k per week.

They have been good players for the club and have played well, but it is bad business having older guys with no resale value who are probably on an extremely high wage. It might be good having a couple first choice ones like McGregor and Davis who are quality despite their age, but guys like Defoe, Balogun and Arfield are probably on a really high wage and have no resale value and are not first choice, it would be better business using the millions spent of their wages on signing young guys who will have a resale value.

In his time at the club Rangers have possibly paid Defoe about £5m in wages and we have no possibility of seeing any of that money back in a transfer fee, that is not good business even though he seems nice guy.
Defoe isn’t on a high wage, he has never been on a high wage at Rangers. He’s also a coach now so not the best example for you to use in terms of resale value.

It’s not feasible for every player to have resale value, we have a lot of assets thankfully which should aid us in becoming self sufficient.

Mate it's not Murray and Bain in charge anymore. We ain't paid Defoe 5 million to be a bit part player.

I think we need to consider more than just resale value when considering wages and value for money. The likes of Defoe bring other things in terms of their experience, what they bring to the dressing room and to younger players.

It specifically stated in the last Annual Report that costs for First Team Playing Staff were £29.7m mate. Depending on how many you include you can work out an average from that. I’d reckon on a maximum of 30 players being in that group.

£12m or so for the paid executives, Manager, Coaching staff, Medical and Sports Science staff, other players and myriad of other employees (from memory approaching 300 staff in total think) doesn’t seem out of the question.

I'm not sure either way what sort of wage Defoe has been on.

However, even if we say it was £5m, I think it's undeniable that his presence and experience has been a huge benefit for many of our players.

The way you're looking at that and judging him is too narrow. He's contributed to a league winning season, he's helped players off the pitch during difficult times (Morelos more than anyone), and he's a cracking ambassador for the club as well. You have to spend money to get that sort of thing, and I think it's fair to say he's been money well spent.

I'm not sure either way what sort of wage Defoe has been on.

However, even if we say it was £5m, I think it's undeniable that his presence and experience has been a huge benefit for many of our players.

The way you're looking at that and judging him is too narrow. He's contributed to a league winning season, he's helped players off the pitch during difficult times (Morelos more than anyone), and he's a cracking ambassador for the club as well. You have to spend money to get that sort of thing, and I think it's fair to say he's been money well spent.

Yes good points, I guess I was looking at it too narrow, there are other things like sponsorship agreements, having a big name like Defoe at the club might have helped us generate more revenue by getting better sponsorship deals which is hard to quantify exactly.

We've paid Defoe £5m in wages? What you been smoking? :))

Looks like the lad from Rijeka might be available on a loan to buy deal would be ideal given his injury history
Would be delighted if we got him with an option to buy. Could be a quality addition

I think we need to consider more than just resale value when considering wages and value for money. The likes of Defoe bring other things in terms of their experience, what they bring to the dressing room and to younger players.

This!

I love it when fans critisize defies wasted wages in one hand whilst simultaneously praising the professionalism and consistency of the players who kept him out the squad. A professionalism which has really started to kick in basically since defoe joined us.

We won 55. Defoe has likely been worth every penny for his immeasurable influence in the changing room!

Looks like the lad from Rijeka might be available on a loan to buy deal would be ideal given his injury history
I wonder if his price has come down due to his injury. Think it was reported the club wanted €5m for him last year.

footballinsider only ones running with this, they were reports of them wanting BB last august too, but who knows, we sell BB and the way we play may need to change I think, players who can cross like him don't grow on trees

footballinsider only ones running with this, they were reports of them wanting BB last august too, but who knows, we sell BB and the way we play may need to change I think, players who can cross like him don't grow on trees
That's where our scouting department comes in tbh if we accepted an offer I'd take that as encouragement that Ross Wilson and his team have found a good replacement for him

That's where our scouting department comes in tbh if we accepted an offer I'd take that as encouragement that Ross Wilson and his team have found a good replacement for him
it's a good feeling and one I still find strange to get used to, when it comes to the in's and out's of players, I have full trust in the backroom team, we're now ran properly from top to bottom, makes what's happening on the otherside of town even more enjoyable:D

If we are going to cash in on him we really should do it this summer. Either that or we sign him on longer term deal and just keep him for his peak seasons.

Out of anyone in our squad borna is the correct one to sell this summer, he’s in his prime and with him being 28, probably one of the last times to make decent money on him. I also think borna is replaceable, compared to a Morelos, Kent etc who would be much harder to replace.
I couldn't disagree more with your last sentence.
Barisic would be by far the hardest player to replace in terms of style/gameplay.

I’ve not been impressed with Croatia recently. I think England will beat them comfortably and Scotland may beat them as well. I see the Czechs as a bigger threat than Croatia. Controversial, I know.:)
Can't see England beating anyone comfortably. Some great players but they don't click and haven't yet. They could though and could go on to win it if they did.

For us though, Kamara, Borna, Patterson, Helander are the ones who we need to do well and have a shot and putting themselves in the window for us.

The way Leeds tried to get RK on the cheap makes me think of them as a biscuit tin club

I hope we never sell any of our players on the cheap again - & quite frankly we should make sure BB is way out of their range anyway

Doig at Hibs would fit our system very well
The thing with buying Doig and playing him ahead of Bassey tells Bassey he wont be good enough.
I think Bassey is a unit and his athleticism is impressive. He can get up and down that left side with ease.
I'm sure our scouts can source a ready made Borna replacement while Bassey developes.

You need a good balance so sometimes you buy a player you know aint being sold for any profit.

Also there is no chance we paid Defoe 5m in wages lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back