Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, Watford fan in peace.

Secondly, just trying to find out more about Kamara. Obviously we’ve been linked a lot recently, personally I think it’s just paper talk. However on the basis that it isn’t, what are the positives and negatives about him?
If he goes to Watford then it’s a sacrifice that we can’t me make, and it would take rocket man out I accept that deal but like a candle in the wind - you never know

I like him as well he was good at Hamburg 2 seasons ago then spent last season on loan at Union Berlin. What puts me off us signing him is his injury record he missed nearly 2 months of the season with an injury. Union have the option to buy him and his Leverkusen contract is up next summer.

Don’t think a loan move for Gilmour is as unrealistic as some on here think - loan moves for young players tend to be more based on playing time / playing style than the quality of the league they’re in.

Still don’t think it’ll happen :)) but I’m sure we’ll ask the question!

Aberdeen will cave in towards the end of the window on their price for Ferguson.

They did the same with Scott McKenna. Pretty sure they wanted £6m for him at one stage but sold him to Nottingham Forrest for less than half of that.

Haha yeah I hope so. Can’t say I’ve seen a lot of him, but based on what I’ve read about him, as well as stats, seems like there is a decent player there. The Prem is probably a step up, but i also think we have an eye on relegation this time round. Last time we were in the Prem for 5 seasons, and for many reasons, we would have stayed there, and not been relegated. However we were, but we’ve bounced back right away. Think that has scared our owners, because we had some players in the championship on big wages that we couldn’t shift. We got away with it this time. However we had to sell/loan 17 players just to balance the books and keep Sarr. So I honestly think Ferguson is being looked at as a back up CM for the Prem, but starter if we get relegated and have to sell Chalobah, Hughes etc.

Gilmour would be playing Champions League and learning from one of Englands greatest ever midfieders.

I dont think it will happen but its not beyond the realms
Im sure Gerrard has made it known Rangers are ready and able to take him on loan, guaranteeing plenty game time and crucially European experience.

Gilmour is obvs a confident lad so he likely wont worry staying put and fighting for a starting place, nor going to another EPL club and playing there.

Perhaps comes down to what Chelsea want to do and given his performance for Scotland I suspect theyll feel playing outside the EPL next season would be a step back or sideways for him.

Apparently Tuchel likes Norwich style of play (double 6 pivots---look how fancy I'm talking) and that's why Gilmour going there. It'll be harder for Gilmour as they be chasing rather than dictating play, so will improve his game.

He might be playing at a decent level but chasing shadows and getting humped every week can't be great for the development. Can't be overly enjoyable for the player either.

He will get double figure European games with us potentially 5 or 6 Old Firm games and the pressure of a title race and having to win every week. Are those extra 18 games or so against run of the mill EPL teams really that much better for his development? I think it gets overplayed a bit to be honest.

It seems that he doesn't actively want to leave like he did last summer but I think he'll go if we get an acceptable bid.

Will probably have his head turned if an English club has a bid rejected.
The key is us getting an acceptable bid - same as last summer.

He’s very settled here with his wife and daughter. Recently moved out of an apartment to a house etc.

He might be playing at a decent level but chasing shadows and getting humped every week can't be great for the development. Can't be overly enjoyable for the player either.

He will get double figure European games with us potentially 5 or 6 Old Firm games and the pressure of a title race and having to win every week. Are those extra 18 games or so against run of the mill EPL teams really that much better for his development? I think it gets overplayed a bit to be honest.
He’s not going to improve in Scotland playing against guys that he’s already better than and that are camped in their own box for the whole game. Then you can apply your argument to our UCL games.

It’s also a move that doesn’t make much sense for us as he isn’t better than Davis currently. I said this in another thread but we either need to sign an upgrade or someone that’s going to be that upgrade in a seasons time.

He’s not going to improve in Scotland playing against guys that he’s already better than and that are camped in their own box for the whole game. Then you can apply your argument to our UCL games.

It’s also a move that doesn’t make much sense for us as he isn’t better than Davis currently. I said this in another thread but we either need to sign an upgrade or someone that’s going to be that upgrade in a seasons time.

Did Ryan Kent improve as a player after a loan spell in Scotland?

There's no guarantees about the quality of our European opponents right now.

The Champions League isn't the draw it used to be compared to playing in one of the top leagues unless you're going to a team that are able to compete at that level.

In the Premiership, he'll get (barring injury) a dozen games against Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs, Everton. The games after that will be of a far higher standard than playing up here. Overall, that's going to be seen as a bigger challenge than what people will realistically believe our European run will look like.

There's no guarantees about the quality of our European opponents right now.

The Champions League isn't the draw it used to be compared to playing in one of the top leagues unless you're going to a team that are able to compete at that level.

In the Premiership, he'll get (barring injury) a dozen games against Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs, Everton. The games after that will be of a far higher standard than playing up here. Overall, that's going to be seen as a bigger challenge than what people will realistically believe our European run will look like.

If he was going to a mid table EPL club I'd agree. If Norwich are whipping boys though he really isn't going to get a lot out of it.

There's certainly an argument a loan to us is at least on a par (if not a better move) than going there for a season.

Stop digging?

a winger playing against a low block every week is going to improve, a 6 getting sporadic appearances and playing under zero pressure is less likely to do so.

Also, it took Kent 3 seasons to find consistency.

I didn't bite initially but if you don't think Billy walks into our team then there's no point in taking the discussion any further. Enjoy your day.

I didn't bite initially but if you don't think Billy walks into our team then there's no point in taking the discussion any further. Enjoy your day.
Steven Davis is better than Billy Gilmour is currently, so is Kamara.

You can make a case for him going in over Jack but then you’re playing him out of position and Chelsea obviously won’t want that.

We would also be better served investing the time and money in a player that’s going to generate a return on the investment, development loans are good for clubs in different situations to ours but we have grown past them.

We, 100% need another midfielder, 2 if we lose Kamara.

BG would be a great signing and ideal to play with or instead of Davis.

It’s the only area of the park that needs some investment. The other areas can be one in one out.

If he was going to a mid table EPL club I'd agree. If Norwich are whipping boys though he really isn't going to get a lot out of it.

There's certainly an argument a loan to us is at least on a par (if not a better move) than going there for a season.
No, there isn’t. Gilmour will not improve playing 35 games against Dundee, St Mirren, Livingston, St Johnstone, Dundee Utd, Ross County, Hibs Hearts and Aberdeen.

4 OF games and maybe 6 CL games does not compare to playing against EPL teams every week, even in a team near the bottom. Even the poor EPL teams are a level above the Scottish league (except for us and them).

They sent Loftus-Cheek in a similar situation to Crystal Palace. He did well and was in the Chelsea 1st team after that, until injuries sidelined him. They’ll look to do something similar with Gilmour.

No, there isn’t. Gilmour will not improve playing 35 games against Dundee, St Mirren, Livingston, St Johnstone, Dundee Utd, Ross County, Hibs Hearts and Aberdeen.

4 OF games and maybe 6 CL games does not compare to playing against EPL teams every week, even in a team near the bottom. Even the poor EPL teams are a level above the Scottish league (except for us and them).

They sent Loftus-Cheek in a similar situation to Crystal Palace. He did well and was in the Chelsea 1st team after that, until injuries sidelined him. They’ll look to do something similar with Gilmour.

- 12/14 (potentially European games)
- At least 4 Old Firms (potentially 5 or 6)
- A couple of Cup Finals potentially
- Elite level coaching under a progressive management team who have a track record of improving players massively
- A pressurised enviroment with every game being important

16 games against Brighton, Brentford, Burnley, Watford, Nowrich, Wolves, Southampton and Crystal Palace and 12 games getting horsed against the top 6 really that much better for him?

There are positives and negatives to all options.

Norwich will not have much possession and will he will struggle to play the type of football he wants. Losing most weeks won't be great for his confidence, although it could be good for him since he had never played in a losing team before.

At Rangers he would play against players who would target him to hurt him, rather than play football against him. However, he would be in a winning team, with an elite mentality. He would be learning from 2 of the best midfield players of their generation, and he would (hopefully) play in big matches in Europe.

The best thing for him would be for Chelsea to realise how good he is, keep him there and play him in the same way Foden has been used by Man City.

- 12/14 (potentially European games)
- At least 4 Old Firms (potentially 5 or 6)
- A couple of Cup Finals potentially
- Elite level coaching under a progressive management team who have a track record of improving players massively
- A pressurised enviroment with every game being important

16 games against Brighton, Brentford, Burnley, Watford, Nowrich, Wolves, Southampton and Crystal Palace and 12 games getting horsed against the top 6 really that much better for him?
So now we’re not only qualifying for the CL we’re getting out of our group?

A relegation battle is a pretty pressurised environment, albeit a different pressure.

Norwich have a forward thinking coach and have developed players themselves (Maddison for example). And if it’s about learning on a training pitch Chelsea have some pretty good coaches. If he’s going out on loan it’s to give him game time to develop him.

Chelsea are not trying to develop middle of the road players. They want top players and playing every week against teams who park the bus and will try to kick him off the park (as well as on the odd plastic pitch) is not going to take him to that level - certainly not in Chelsea’s view.

So now we’re not only qualifying for the CL we’re getting out of our group?

A relegation battle is a pretty pressurised environment, albeit a different pressure.

Norwich have a forward thinking coach and have developed players themselves (Maddison for example). And if it’s about learning on a training pitch Chelsea have some pretty good coaches. If he’s going out on loan it’s to give him game time to develop him.

Chelsea are not trying to develop middle of the road players. They want top players and playing every week against teams who park the bus and will try to kick him off the park (as well as on the odd plastic pitch) is not going to take him to that level - certainly not in Chelsea’s view.

If we get into the CL and don't finish 3rd then we will have 8 elite level European Games. If we fail to qualify, then we will drop into The Europa with a great chance of going deep in that competition. We could also qualify for the CL, and finish 3rd and drop into The Europa from there. Plenty of permutations there.

I'm not trying to be staunch at all but I think you're doing a devlopment loan to us v Norwich a bit of a disservice and I say that as someone who is a big EPL fan and watches a lot of EPL football as well.

This is a worse source than football insider.

I’d go as far as saying it’s the least reliable of all of them.
It’s basically that Joe black crackpot and a few others behind that account. They aren’t the same as that other 4th official account from down south that has journalists with log ins for it

In a midfield of Davis, Kamara, Aribo and optionally Jack. Who does Gilmour replace? Assume the thoughts are Davis given the similar roles or Kamara if sold?

Gilmour won't be coming here. If we had already qualified for the champions league and there wasn't a queue of Premier League clubs wanting him maybe.

Agree with this.

Also, maybe not everyone's cup of tea but would be fine with someone like Ali McCann being the third of the three if we brought in two quality additions who would be considered first team picks.
McCann has had an impressive season if the price was right I wouldn't be against bringing him in I reckon he would continue to improve when surrounded with better players

Don’t think a loan move for Gilmour is as unrealistic as some on here think - loan moves for young players tend to be more based on playing time / playing style than the quality of the league they’re in.

Still don’t think it’ll happen :)) but I’m sure we’ll ask the question!
If he wasn't a first team member and played games for them then yeah we would probably have a big chance in getting him but we don't. The loan fee will be bigger than most transfer fees that we will have paid recently on top of his big wage so financially it would be a huge outlay for the club.

Gilmour would improve with a season loan at Rangers.

Regular football, pressure environment, competing for trophies, playing in Europe under a management team that have taken players on and developed them to another level.

Goldson, Tavernier, Borna, Jack, Kamara, Kent, Morelos, Hagi and co are all examples of players that have raised the level - not only the level but consistency- they play at under Gerrard, Beale, McAllister, Milsom, Culshaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back