Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having signed Wright and Sakala for next season why would we push the boat out for Wilson? I think our forward business is done, unless Morelos leaves, in which case we need a different kind of player. I suspect midfield will be the priority for any transfer fees we have to fork out , as it should be.

I guess it depends whether the investors are prepared to cover the losses again or if player sales will be expected to cover them. From what's been put on here with Veerman he's no interest in leaving Holland but you're right with Atalanta and I'm guessing they will be able to pay higher wages than us. Just don't see him as a realistic option to be honest.
Fwiw I think it's a tough ask getting him to Scotland,unless he's really focused on playing in the CL and Atalanta get overtaken in Serie A.
(Entirely possible BTW it's tight at the top there with 3 games to go)

Difficult attracting very high calibre players who will already have a lot of suitors.
Hopefully direct entry to the CL groups in the future will make it easier.

Having signed Wright and Sakala for next season why would we push the boat out for Wilson? I think our forward business is done, unless Morelos leaves, in which case we need a different kind of player. I suspect midfield will be the priority for any transfer fees we have to fork out , as it should be.

I agree, not a priority unless maybe Hagi moves on.

The bulk of our budget should be focused on adding a couple of quality midfielders

Fwiw I think it's a tough ask getting him to Scotland,unless he's really focused on playing in the CL and Atalanta get overtaken in Serie A.
(Entirely possible BTW it's tight at the top there with 3 games to go)

Difficult attracting very high calibre players who will already have a lot of suitors.
Hopefully direct entry to the CL groups in the future will make it easier.
Aye if we had went in automatically for talking sake next season then yeah it would make sense for us and we could spend that type of money on a couple of players. I just don't see the club bursting the bank when the qualifying is going to be difficult for us to get into the Champions league as it stands. I guess we will see what happens but I just don't see Veerman as a realistic target.

Reactions: cav
I’m sceptical this is a market we are in too, although I’ve no doubt Gerrard would be a major plus for a young midfielder, learn from one of the best.
Yeah no doubt and also with a chance to go to the EPL if he does well with us. It would be a big outlay for the club which I think would only be spent if we do well with selling in players but I think our strategy will come down to what European competition we are in. We are guaranteed some format of European football until Christmas but we have to wait and see what competition.

We know we had a physical , power , pace shortfall this season that was our primary deficiency .

the players targeted should ideally rebalance us .

Example , sakala , check .

But , what we do have is a lot of players who will benefit from having more pace and power playing with them

Last edited:
Given the signing of Sakala, and Ross Wilson’s comments about pace & energy on the deal, I’m expecting that more of that will be a focus of the club in this window.

It was apparent in the EL matches, especially Slavia, that we could be more athletic, powerful, pacy & Wilson’s comment resonated with me.

Of course, we don’t want to give up on quality either, so our purchases are vital in this window, especially with the financial prize of winning 56 next season.
Particularly in midfield, as great as I think the midfield is, it certainly lacks speed and raw power.

Particularly in midfield, as great as I think the midfield is, it certainly lacks speed and raw power.

Absolutely agree LD5.

In fact, with Sakala & Wright secured recently, and Patterson coming through so successfully and being so pacy, I think midfield will be our main focus over the Summer unless such as Morelos or Goldson or others are sold & then needing replaced.

We know we had a physical , power , pace shortfall this season that was our primary deficiency .

the players targeted are who should ideally rebalance us .

But , what we do have imo is a lot of players who will benefit from having more pace and power playing with them

Agree CoG.

Just address & tweak the balance, and hopefully via losing as many guys like Jones that we are happy to allow to move on anyway.

For those wanting Doig- I am reasonably confident James Maxwell has the potential to be just as good.
When we talk about the 'model' for how the club operates, most seem to forget that not all players have to be bought.

We have a gem in Nathan Patterson. Hopefully we can see another 2 or 3 coming into the side soon.

Cheers for the reminder that you only need to buy if you need to.

When we talk about the 'model' for how the club operates, most seem to forget that not all players have to be bought.

We have a gem in Nathan Patterson. Hopefully we can see another 2 or 3 coming into the side soon.

Would be great if Paterson and another came to the fore. The model really needs to start kicking in and producing our own players to supplement the buy low sell high approach.

I think we now need midfielders and perhaps one left footed winger with pace.

Names that interest me, that have been mooted, despite being unlikely, are:

Midfielders:
Max Meyer
Joey Veerman
Niklas Dorsch
Gilmour (loan Chelsea)
James Garner (loan Man Utd

Right wing:
Skov Olsen
Harry Wilson (loan Liverpool)
Harvey Elliott (loan Liverpool)

Any two from the midfielder above, and one of the wingers, and I'd be very happy, although want no more than 2 loan players)

Aye if we had went in automatically for talking sake next season then yeah it would make sense for us and we could spend that type of money on a couple of players. I just don't see the club bursting the bank when the qualifying is going to be difficult for us to get into the Champions league as it stands. I guess we will see what happens but I just don't see Veerman as a realistic target.
Not buying Kent until guaranteed Europa group money is a perfect example to what you're saying mate,and I'd expect the likes of Veerman to be snapped up before then.
Ross Wilson has a job on his hands trying to up the quality levels while dealing with a budget that might change quickly depending on who is sold along with European qualification.

Midfielders:
Max Meyer
Joey Veerman
Niklas Dorsch
Gilmour (loan Chelsea)

Right wing:
Skov Olsen

Any two from the midfielder above, and one of the wingers, and I'd be very happy, although want no more than 2 loan players)
I'd rather we signed two centre mids and played Aribo at the right #10 than sign another, he is too technically gifted and creative going forward to be play at the left centre mid spot in my opinion. Kent, Wright, Roofe, Sakala, Hagi and Aribo would be a great set of options for those places.

the players targeted are who should ideally rebalance us .

But , what we do have imo is a lot of players who will benefit from having more pace and power playing with them
Being honest we've known about the shortfall in the sense of the midfield for a while,the Braga skipper being my favourite example of what we could do with.
Problem being guys like him are on long term contracts in a better league than ours and would cost a fortune.

That's a very difficult puzzle to solve for us.

Sakala looks like incredible business,hopefully he settles quickly.

EDIT - just read the posts above,great minds and all that!

I work with a few folk from Dumfries and apparently he's done really well at qots.
Have to be honest - I don't think Harry Wilson is as good a player as Hagi is.

Not too bothered about him, with the obvious caveat of having no idea how he'd do up here if signed.

Veerman would be a great signing, but he's surely out of our reach financially.
Anytime I've seen Wilson he's flattered to deceive tbh,I appreciate wide young players are often inconsistent but for the figures quoted I'd be wanting a lot more.

Exciting summer ahead in view of the CL draw on the 19th July!

I get that our finances hinge on the CL qualification but we need to improve the starting 11 every window if possible and it’s quality over quantity now we have the team in good shape. Waiting until we see if we qualify for the group stages before doing our business is exactly why the mhanks are in the position they are in and we shouldn’t make the same mistake.

I think everyone agrees we need a centre mid for the starting line up and obviously any players that are sold need replaced.

Most recent windows have seen us spend £8M give or take so I would not be surprised to see a single player come in for that value this summer and if we manage to qualify for the group stages then next seasons budget will be significantly boosted.

I'd rather we signed two centre mids and played Aribo at the right #10 than sign another, he is too technically gifted and creative going forward to be play at the left centre mid spot in my opinion. Kent, Wright, Roofe, Sakala, Hagi and Aribo would be a great set of options for those places.
I agree that Aribo is best as a front 10, off the right.

I can see us pushing the boat out for Veerman at 7-8m if required and then looking for a quality no risk loan.

I bow to the football enthusiasts on here who know all the prospects throughout Europe, but urge people to remember that there are loads of players of similar age and abilities in Europe. Failing to sign Veerman or Wilson is not a disaster.
Let's not forget the hysteria on here when we failed to sign Scott Allan

Because he’s a better player than both?

Wonder if we will revisit the Jackub Jankto transfer. We were not supposed to be really interested in bringing him in

I watched a game from Norway last night due to waiting on a bet and a player from it stuck out like a sore thumb, right winger Aron Donnum, he was absolutely outstanding for Valerega, so much so I started looking him up, I wonder if anyone follows Norwegian football and knows if he’s consistent, his stats suggest he is:

Ps I know this isn’t a transfer rumour but I couldn’t think of anywhere else to put it :0)

I watched a game from Norway last night due to waiting on a bet and a player from it stuck out like a sore thumb, right winger Aron Donnum, he was absolutely outstanding for Valerega, so much so I started looking him up, I wonder if anyone follows Norwegian football and knows if he’s consistent, his stats suggest he is:

Ps I know this isn’t a transfer rumour but I couldn’t think of anywhere else to put it :0)
Scandinavian and Austrian markets are ones I'm surprised we haven't dipped into yet.
Maybe that will change soon.

Fwiw I love interesting suggestions on here about players most of us are unaware of,keep firing them on from my point of view mate

Scandinavian and Austrian markets are ones I'm surprised we haven't dipped into yet.
Maybe that will change soon.

Fwiw I love interesting suggestions on here about players most of us are unaware of,keep firing them on from my point of view mate

Cheers bud, this boy looked absolutely shit hot, he was going past people like they weren't there.

The way I see it is the critical part is knowing what you are looking for and where that part fits .

after that I think it is ‘relatively’ easy to find a player who matches or matches approximately and is affordable . When the costs are too high you need to adjust your tact eg take a loan player for a year until the one you want is in his final year or even better OoC

I strongly disagree with paying large fees where at all possible it’s just spend that should,have been avoided.

re our own players being developed I strongly agree with that , despite the risks we need to take them into our squad . Maxwell , Kelly , Williamson, Kennedy , Mayo should all be considered and get the benefit of the doubt and an opportunity to tryout.

I do think the two players for each position might need to be re-assessed for the coming season or two as the demands and levels intensify

Last edited:

Maybe a good shout for a CM? - had a really good season with Hamburg in 19/20 but hasn’t played much this season at PSV.. very two footed so that’s a bonus point!

Maybe a good shout for a CM? - had a really good season with Hamburg in 19/20 but hasn’t played much this season at PSV.. very two footed so that’s a bonus point!
Bayern Munich player out on loan sadly but does look like an RJ type who could fit in . Interesting find mate .

The way I see it is the critical part is knowing what you are looking for and where that part fits .

after that I think it is ‘relatively’ easy to find a player who matches or matches approximately and is affordable . When the costs are too high you need to adjust your tact eg take a loan player for a year until the one you want is in his final year or even better OoC

I strongly disagree with paying large fees where at all possible it’s just spend that should,have been avoided.

re our own players being developed I strongly agree with that , despite the risks we need to take them into our squad . Maxwell , Kelly , Williamson, Kennedy , Mayo should all be considered and get the benefit of the doubt and an opportunity to tryout.

I do think the two players for each position might need to be re-assessed for the coming season or two as the demands and levels intensify

Agree D.

I think this season showed that in midfield, with the burden of a physical season & the condition of 3 of our group, that the midfield needs two quality additions, not one to replace Zungu.

There does seem to be a consensus on that among many on FF to be fair.

Not been mentioned. What if Bielsa comes back with silly money for Kent ? Who makes that decision ? Is it football or financial ?

Last edited:
Given the signing of Sakala, and Ross Wilson’s comments about pace & energy on the deal, I’m expecting that more of that will be a focus of the club in this window.

It was apparent in the EL matches, especially Slavia, that we could be more athletic, powerful, pacy & Wilson’s comment resonated with me.

Of course, we don’t want to give up on quality either, so our purchases are vital in this window, especially with the financial prize of winning 56 next season.
Grigio...where could I see this interview pal?
I agree you could see Slavia P were a lot more physical than us...although I think the tie was closer than a lot believe we came up short.

I think we could spend that kind of money if the staff thought it was worth it,providing we get good money in the way from player sales of course.
The problem is more the likes of Atalanta in for him who can provide a better lifestyle and quality of league.
Perhaps our biggest selling point would be the proximity to the EPL for his move after us ?

Funnily enough last year I was waiting on a bet and a player Hauge stood out for Bodo Glimt. Couple of times I seen him as I bet them fairly often.

I posted about him on here and a few months later he joined Milan after impressing against them for only a few million IIRC

Funnily enough last year I was waiting on a bet and a player Hauge stood out for Bodo Glimt. Couple of times I seen him as I bet them fairly often.

I posted about him on here and a few months later he joined Milan after impressing against them for only a few million IIRC
Ye he is good player D . Got any others ?

Perhaps our biggest selling point would be the proximity to the EPL for his move after us ?
I think for many players that's a carrot,but I think he's already highly thought of enough to possibly go straight there if he wanted.

He would be our highest profile signing in a long time if we pulled it off imo.

Grigio...where could I see this interview pal?
I agree you could see Slavia P were a lot more physical than us...although I think the tie was closer than a lot believe we came up short.

I agree with you on the Slavia match Russell. At the point Roofe gets the red we had started to gain superiority.

Im shit at these things but it’s Ross Wilson’s comments when Sakala signed mate. He said Gerrard was looking for pace & energy or something similar.

E

Midfielders:
Max Meyer
Joey Veerman
Niklas Dorsch
Gilmour (loan Chelsea)

Right wing:
Skov Olsen

Elliot is a great talent

I agree with you on the Slavia match Russell. At the point Roofe gets the red we had started to gain superiority.

Im shit at these things but it’s Ross Wilson’s comments when Sakala signed mate. He said Gerrard was looking for pace & energy or something similar.
Yeah think Wilson and Gerrard have realised to get to next stage of Europe we need more speed and power. here is Ross Wilson’s Quote when announcing Sakala.

“We wanted to add more pace and power to the group across January and the summer and I am pleased that we have done that, firstly with Scott Wright and now with Fashion Sakala. I know Steven and the coaches are excited to work with Fashion and I am sure that he will further enhance his growing reputation here with Rangers.“

Not been mentioned. What if Bielsa comes back with silly money for Kent ? Who makes that decision ? Is it football or financial ?
Everyone in the team has a price even those who have just signed a new contract. If teams meet our valuations then they will be accepted. However, whether the players want to move is another question. I can’t see why any player would want to move to a team that doesn’t realistically have a chance of european football or are a lesser club than us unless their goal is money.

Yeah think Wilson and Gerrard have realised to get to next stage of Europe we need more speed and power. here is Ross Wilson’s Quote when announcing Sakala.

“We wanted to add more pace and power to the group across January and the summer and I am pleased that we have done that, firstly with Scott Wright and now with Fashion Sakala. I know Steven and the coaches are excited to work with Fashion and I am sure that he will further enhance his growing reputation here with Rangers.“

Thanks a lot Stephen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back