Not open for further replies.
The following will be away iMo

stewart
Jones
Edmunds
Barker

zungu loan end too

poss Defoe

there will be a sale, just whether its big enough to satisfy its only one or two.

Would think Alfie would want to have a crack at the cl, potential bigger move if he does ok.

with Wright and Sakkala in I think it’s midfield we need to look at now

IMO, Rangers 'crown jewel' has to be Ryan Kent, I'd be shocked if the club didn't have to fend off multiple big money bids for his services over the summer.

Morelos has likely played his last season at Ibrox.

If Barisic has a good UEFA Europe this summer, then he too, could well be for the off.

It's also not unreasonable to presume that Helander, Hagi, and Kamara might be the subject of transfer bids.

The upshot of this could find Rangers awash in transfer cash, but then needing to replace half of the current first team squad - in addition, of course, to any new signings that were originally being contemplated.
Surely the gaffer will be desperate to keep most of those players,especially after painstakingly putting this team together, I will be delighted if Alfie is still here and just hope he fancies a shot at the CL and I can't see Kent moving, unless it's a blank cheque, anything less, they can do one, he's so vital to us. Replacing those players with the same quality will cost serious money as well.

There has been much speculation in the media about interest from some of the EPL's 'top six' in Leeds' Brazilian winger Raphinha, if such a deal where to happen , I think Leeds would make a major push for Kent.

Let us examine the hypothetical Kent-to-Leeds scenario. If a bid came in that met Rangers valuation, then the player would have a decision to make: would he opt for the chance to experience the CL with Rangers, or go for the regular exposure in the EPL that playing for a pretty decent Leeds side would give, and with it the added bonus of putting him in the frame for a possible England call-up?
Fair point mate. Didn’t think about the international football perspective. You would think that putting in stand out performances in the champions league would be good enough for Kent to be considered but I don’t think it would be enough. I think they would still be put off by the standard he was facing in the SPL. At the moment I’ve no idea who will move out, theres every chance some handshakes have already happened.

Josh Maja at Fulham scored 3 in 14 games , 9 of which he started . Stats suggest a unconvincing spell but then again it is a relegation team so maybe not unexpected .

I’d think he is the type who would be a loan with buy option move if Rangers were to look at him tbh but I’ve not seen his games for either club this seasons to see how he personally has looked .

Cheers CoG.

Mind you, as we’ve seen before, up here is a dramatically different level from England, and he’s still a good age.

Surely the gaffer will be desperate to keep most of those players,especially after painstakingly putting this team together, I will be delighted if Alfie is still here and just hope he fancies a shot at the CL and I can't see Kent moving, unless it's a blank cheque, anything less, they can do one, he's so vital to us. Replacing those players with the same quality will cost serious money as well.
My original post on the thread was theoretical - it could happen but probably won't. The 2 most likely departures IMO are Morelos, and also Kent for a very large fee.

You think it’ll happen after the qualifiers ?

I hope you’re right, as the qualifiers benefit will be massive if successful Russell.

Keeping Kent is vital, and although I’m expecting Alfredo to go, we really do need to replace him with similar attributes, as he’s shown himself to be vital to how we play.

In fact, it could be argued that those two & Borna are our most vital players in that we don’t have anything close to them if we had to replace them. I’d have had Tav in there too until young Nathan burst onto the scene so impressively.

Despite so many other good players, the others have closer substitutes / replacements.
Yeah I don’t see us rushing to get players out the door until qualifying is complete. No player will be cup tied with the new rules so hopefully all players push hard so we can get through & if they move on they move on in good terms.

I agree with you on the likes of Kent, Borna & Buf being our main men. Young Patterson was very impressive I think he will push Tav very hard over the next 18 months for a slot. This kid is the real deal & nothing seems to phase him.

Like most supporters I think we need 1 or maybe 2 box to box midfielders (especially if we loose Kamara) to continue to improve.

I’m very picky but I’d like us to upgrade a Centre Back...I’m not totally convinced on our guys. We have had a great season so hopefully I’m just totally wrong the guys do the same again next year.

Yeah I don’t see us rushing to get players out the door until qualifying is complete. No player will be cup tied with the new rules so hopefully all players push hard so we can get through & if they move on they move on in good terms.

I agree with you on the likes of Kent, Borna & Buf being our main men. Young Patterson was very impressive I think he will push Tav very hard over the next 18 months for a slot. This kid is the real deal & nothing seems to phase him.

Like most supporters I think we need 1 or maybe 2 box to box midfielders (especially if we loose Kamara) to continue to improve.

I’m very picky but I’d like us to upgrade a Centre Back...I’m not totally convinced on our guys. We have had a great season so hopefully I’m just totally wrong the guys do the same again next year.

Yes Russell, getting quality into that midfield will be massive. Winning the league effectively has a 35m euro prize, because it guarantees direct CL Group entry, so these guys are worth investing in. I thought we were one short this season to be honest, and that was before Zungu proved he wasn’t the answer.

Interesting your view on central defence. I know our goals lost record was incredible, but I’ve not been convinced we have a proper balance in there for playing top clubs. To me, I like to see a reader / footballer and a strong & pacy partner. None of our guys had pace, albeit Goldson & Helander are clever footballers. I’d like to see us securing the physical / pacy option. It would allow us to play higher up the park. The obvious example is the Benfica equaliser in Lisbon to illustrate my point.

Josh Maja at Fulham scored 3 in 14 games , 9 of which he started . Stats suggest a unconvincing spell but then again it is a relegation team so maybe not unexpected .

I’d think he is the type who would be a loan with buy option move if Rangers were to look at him tbh but I’ve not seen his games for either club this seasons to see how he personally has looked .
I have watched him a fair bit as I had Fulham going down and therefor his future up in the air, is he a replacement for Morelos - not a chance ever, Roofe or Itten yes

The following will be away iMo

stewart
Jones
Edmunds
Barker

zungu loan end too

poss Defoe

there will be a sale, just whether its big enough to satisfy its only one or two.

Would think Alfie would want to have a crack at the cl, potential bigger move if he does ok.

with Wright and Sakkala in I think it’s midfield we need to look at now
Of course mate, but that will depend if Kamara stays or goes!

I still think we need 1 more champions league players signed from midfield to striker and defence to midfield

I have watched him a fair bit as I had Fulham going down and therefor his future up in the air, is he a replacement for Morelos - not a chance ever, Roofe or Itten yes
Thanks LTG.

You reckon he cannot lead the line nor has good enough power and workrate ?

btw this guy was linked few months back and is OoC so could be a budget Dev project for a season or two . He’s quite flamboyant and has some good speed and fairly strong .
Could be an option I could see the appeal in his like especially if we clear down barker Jones hastie .

Thanks LTG.

You reckon he cannot lead the line nor has good enough power and workrate ?
Certainly not got the power and strength for the game up here or even in Europe, he is more like Roofe or Defoe just a much poorer version.

If we got him for nothing then I would take but being honest, Chris Wood, Callum Wilson, Che Adams, or abroad is the strikers I would be looking at

Midfield is where we should be turning our thoughts to now, Davis was amazing this season but unsure if we will be able to rely so heavily on him next season jack and Arfield seem to pick up some niggly injuries and Zungu away back. We need our funds focused in the midfield unless we sell people.
I wonder, with Middleton doing well at St. Johnstone, could we see him as part of a swap plus money for McCann? It would certainly add to the numbers in midfield. Perhaps he could shadow Davis for a year or two?
Just a thought.

Yes Russell, getting quality into that midfield will be massive. Winning the league effectively has a 35m euro prize, because it guarantees direct CL Group entry, so these guys are worth investing in. I thought we were one short this season to be honest, and that was before Zungu proved he wasn’t the answer.

Interesting your view on central defence. I know our goals lost record was incredible, but I’ve not been convinced we have a proper balance in there for playing top clubs. To me, I like to see a reader / footballer and a strong & pacy partner. None of our guys had pace, albeit Goldson & Helander are clever footballers. I’d like to see us securing the physical / pacy option. It would allow us to play higher up the park. The obvious example is the Benfica equaliser in Lisbon to illustrate my point.
Grigo - you have the uncanny ability of always managing somehow to lurch and stumble into the truth. Your observations re. Rangers central defense is further evidence of this trait.

A while back I started a thread noting that whilst we currently have 5 centre backs on the books I myself wasn't entirely convinced by our 1st choice pairing of Goldson/Helander. Whilst certainly a competent partnership, there was something about it always left me a tad uneasy - certainly when compared with past Rangers centre backs - Cuellar and Bougherra and Weir.

When I made this point I was inundated with a torrent of hostile responses - 'we are undefeated, we have had so many clean sheets...how could I possibly question the Rangers defence? A less superficial analyis would have revealed that whilst we did enjoy a remarkable domestic record defensively, in a fair number of cases the 'clean sheets' were often due to the brilliance of McGregor, and in others by the failure of opposing players to covert simple chances. Moreover, in many of the latter instances, it was shakiness in the central defence that was the problem - you yourself noted this in several of our Europaa. League games where the technically more skillful opposition often caused us bother.

Anyway, let's hope that Gerrard can prune the existing roster of centre backs and bring in a quicker, more physical addition to complement Goldson and Helander. rour Europa League games, when the lack of pace prog oir number of games shown that

Certainly not got the power and strength for the game up here or even in Europe, he is more like Roofe or Defoe just a much poorer version.

If we got him for nothing then I would take but being honest, Chris Wood, Callum Wilson, Che Adams, or abroad is the strikers I would be looking at
Honestly why do people put PL strikers in lists of people we should be looking at?

Wood= 10-12 million
Wilson = 15-20 million
Adams = 15-20 million

None of those three are even close to being in our budget or meets the criteria of buy, develop and sell.

They'd have seen Patterson be the only full back of genuine quality last time we played. Good prospect with a lot of raw ingredients that we could certainly turn him into a player, not at £2m+ and certainly not as a back up. Same situation with Hickey

If we're being honest Bassey would be a superstar if he was at Hibs and Doig would still be playing youth football
I’ve seen nothing from Bassey that’d make me more confident in him over Doig.
Other than physique.
Frankly, if we can’t get better than Bassey, I‘d be surprised.

Grigo - you have the uncanny ability of always managing somehow to lurch and stumble into the truth. Your observations re. Rangers central defense is further evidence of this trait.

A while back I started a thread noting that whilst we currently have 5 centre backs on the books I myself wasn't entirely convinced by our 1st choice pairing of Goldson/Helander. Whilst certainly a competent partnership, there was something about it always left me a tad uneasy - certainly when compared with past Rangers centre backs - Cuellar and Bougherra and Weir.

When I made this point I was inundated with a torrent of hostile responses - 'we are undefeated, we have had so many clean sheets...how could I possibly question the Rangers defence? A less superficial analyis would have revealed that whilst we did enjoy a remarkable domestic record defensively, in a fair number of cases the 'clean sheets' were often due to the brilliance of McGregor, and in others by the failure of opposing players to covert simple chances. Moreover, in many of the latter instances, it was shakiness in the central defence that was the problem - you yourself noted this in several of our Europaa. League games where the technically more skillful opposition often caused us bother.

Anyway, let's hope that Gerrard can prune the existing roster of centre backs and bring in a quicker, more physical addition to complement Goldson and Helander. rour Europa League games, when the lack of pace prog oir number of games shown that
They were very good at SPL level but were a wee bit exposed against real quality like Benfica.
They’re probably good enough to get us through a league season and, if we’re lucky in the draw, might get us into the CL.
If that’s as far as we dare to target, that’s fair enough.
However, I’m sure if we got that far, Gerrard wouldn’t be wanting to settle for that and would then be to improve again, immediately.

You think it’ll happen after the qualifiers ?

I hope you’re right, as the qualifiers benefit will be massive if successful Russell.

Keeping Kent is vital, and although I’m expecting Alfredo to go, we really do need to replace him with similar attributes, as he’s shown himself to be vital to how we play.

In fact, it could be argued that those two & Borna are our most vital players in that we don’t have anything close to them if we had to replace them. I’d have had Tav in there too until young Nathan burst onto the scene so impressively.

Despite so many other good players, the others have closer substitutes / replacements.
Incredible to think that one of our best players last season, our captain and potential player of the year, could well be the easiest to replace.
We need Morelos to be here for the qualifiers with Roofe suspended.
Unless we have a quality replacement already earmarked.
(I joked with a, usually moderate, Celtic fan last week who fully expects Morelos to be gone and that we’ll miss him, big time.
I told him we’ll spend half the fee on Edouard.
He “was not best pleased”!)

We will not be able to replace Kent.
The best we can hope for is for Wright and / or Sakala to still be better than the rest.

I do remember your post BSB.

Im at that age where I’m trying to chill a bit more than I used to, and 55 has surely helped in that respect LOL.

I do genuinely agree that we don’t have the proper skill mix in our CDs. That’s not to criticise Goldson or Fil, as both have performed really well this season.

If you think of Cuellar & Bougherra that you mentioned, one was a brilliant reader of the game & so well disciplined, while the other was a monster, with great pace & athleticism. That’s what I’d love to see in our CD partnership mate.

I do remember your post BSB.

Im at that age where I’m trying to chill a bit more than I used to, and 55 has surely helped in that respect LOL.

I do genuinely agree that we don’t have the proper skill mix in our CDs. That’s not to criticise Goldson or Fil, as both have performed really well this season.

If you think of Cuellar & Bougherra that you mentioned, one was a brilliant reader of the game & so well disciplined, while the other was a monster, with great pace & athleticism. That’s what I’d love to see in our CD partnership mate.

Cuellar and Bougherra didn't look half as good anywhere when David Weir wasn't next to them.

For what little it's worth, I'd argue Goldson and Helander are our best partnership since Amoruso and Moore.

Zungu was never the type required, just more of the same really.

Cuellar and Bougherra didn't look half as good anywhere when David Weir wasn't next to them.

For what little it's worth, I'd argue Goldson and Helander are our best partnership since Amoruso and Moore.
I think the point is strider can we improve it and if so how . Is this CD equipped for CL groups ? I would agree with the narrative that Benfica & Slavia were examples that shine on a gap . And how can we become CL level .

I’m confident we will see another CD arrive this window for these reasons . And they will be a more athletic type .

I think the point is strider can we improve it and if so how . Is this CD equipped for CL groups ? I would agree with the narrative that Benfica & Slavia were examples that shine on a gap . And how can we become CL level .

I’m confident we will see another CD arrive this window for these reasons . And they will be a more athletic type .

We'll see if we can improve. Won't be easy at the level we're shopping at.

But Goldson and Helander can, and probably will, improve over time as well.

Slavia at home we played Balogun, and he's not as good as Helander. Benfica were a top side, pretty much the sort of level we'll face for the most part if we make the CL, and we got the draws.

To be honest, it's in midfield where I feel our defending has to improve.

I'd argue that a lack of a screening/defensive midfielder hurt us more in those types of games tbh. Particularly the presence of Ryan Jack overall in the Slavia games. As good as Joe Aribo and Glen Kamara are at transitioning the ball forward, defensively they aren't the best.

For various reasons Zungu never fit the billing and we ended up having to muddle through in midfield again this season due to injuries/suspensions. However that said, the first Benfica match in Lisbon, Helander had two howlers in quick succession.

I also think, if we make the groups, that we will be less expansive in the CL matches, especially against the Elite level sides.

You wouldn't get much change out of £20m if you were looking for an athletic version of Helander. We need to be realistic about the level of player we can attract.

I'd argue that a lack of a screening/defensive midfielder hurt us more in those types of games tbh. Particularly the presence of Ryan Jack overall in the Slavia games. As good as Joe Aribo and Glen Kamara are at transitioning the ball forward, defensively they aren't the best.

For various reasons Zungu never fit the billing and we ended up having to muddle through in midfield again this season due to injuries/suspensions. However that said, the first Benfica match in Lisbon, Helander had two howlers in quick succession.

I also think, if we make the groups, that we will be less expansive in the CL matches, especially against the Elite level sides.

I can’t disagree with any of that Ronadamus, but still think we should be looking for that CD option to increase our group skill options.

In fact, it’s really similar to the point that many of us made about the midfield group.

Contingency planning. Give ourselves as many options for as many possible match situations I’d suggest.

I can’t disagree with any of that Ronadamus, but still think we should be looking for that CD option to increase our group skill options.

In fact, it’s really similar to the point that many of us made about the midfield group.

Contingency planning. Give ourselves as many options for as many possible match situations I’d suggest.

I'm not against signing another defender tbh Grigo. I'd rather we invested most of our finances into the midfield. But if the right player becomes available or feasible in any position, then I'm all for it.

The trade off that we have to make in the markets that we shop in though. Means we'll rarely sign the finished article. Us going in for a more athletic and dynamic centre half, would likely point to other areas of that players game, not quite being fully developed yet. Be it game experience, positioning, reading of the game or overall defensive strength. Just comes with the territory.

I'm not against signing another defender tbh Grigo. I'd rather we invested most of our finances into the midfield. But if the right player becomes available or feasible in any position, then I'm all for it.

The trade off that we have to make in the markets that we shop in though. Means we'll rarely sign the finished article. Us going in for a more athletic and dynamic centre half, would likely point to other areas of that players game, not quite being fully developed yet. Be it game experience, positioning, reading of the game or overall defensive strength. Just comes with the territory.

Absolutely agree mate.

There is no doubt for me too that midfield must be our priority.

And, yes, getting a guy with physicality & pace in our market means almost by definition that there are weaker areas of his game that need dealt with.

Id only say that we are now really good at developing players & if this player plays beside a Goldson or Helander he will have ‘an old head’ beside him to learn from.

All valid imo too

slavia tie especially we were hindered by the more physical opponent imposing themselves at a point on the season where we had somewhat waned in energy and intensity . It had been a demanding season so that was always possible .
One thing I noticed about slavia was there EL starting teams were quite heavily rotated and also within games I think they were also sharper with changes . Possibly a more general depth and squad point in there ?

Last edited:
Absolutely agree mate.

There is no doubt for me too that midfield must be our priority.

And, yes, getting a guy with physicality & pace in our market means almost by definition that there are weaker areas of his game that need dealt with.

Id only say that we are now really good at developing players & if this player plays beside a Goldson or Helander he will have ‘an old head’ beside him to learn from.
You could say we already have that in LB who is more mobile and quicker but perhaps more risky and positionally less disciplined than FH eg.
That’s just the way it is . I’d prefer a further option of more power and pace in there for this coming season as all I’m saying . Or possibly even an experienced CD eg Gary Cahill .

If Alfie does stay I'd imagine we need to get him on a new contract.

His current deals ends in 2023, so if he stays then next summer we have a main asset whos into his last 12 months which is far from ideal.

From a contractual situation, this summer is the ideal selling point.

If Alfie does stay I'd imagine we need to get him on a new contract.

His current deals ends in 2023, so if he stays then next summer we have a main asset whos into his last 12 months which is far from ideal.

From a contractual situation, this summer is the ideal selling point.
If you want to go down that line then we get rid of Morelos, Kent and Kamara this Summer.;)

We appear to have shifted from selling players if they get to their last year to now selling them two years before their contract expires. At this rate we will soon be selling them before we sign them!:)

I understand your point but it has to be a bit more nuanced. The players wishes are obviously a factor. The contract value will also come into play - Morelos and Kent will be on very healthy salaries, Kamara less so. Therefore enticing Kamara with an improved contract becomes, hopefully, easier than enticing Morelos or Kent. Wilson and Gerrard know what they are doing - it then comes down to the players wishes and the finances in play. Let's get Goldson sorted first and then take it from there. Plenty time to talk to the others once the immediate issue is resolved one way or another.

Sport Witness
@Sport_Witness

Zinedine Ferhat | Rangers have highlighted player for summer window – Steven Gerrard’s side considering signing. http://sportwitness.co.uk/rangers-highlighted-zinedine-ferhat-summer-window-steven-gerrards-side-considering-signing/… #rangersfc
https://t.co/aUDP0IVWpb?amp=1
Just seen this on Twitter - is a page with 127k followers so I'll give it the benefit for now.

Info from Trasnfermarkt.co.uk Ferhat is a 28y/o Algerian right sided midfield/ attacking midfielder playing in French Ligue 1 with 6 goals and 10 assists in 32 games for Nimes who look to be relegated this year - so not bad return for a low team I'd say.

edit - haven't read the article so could all just be bollocks of course

One I’d hope we have eyes on as hes capable of making the set up

I've watched McCann closely in their last couple of games against us and whenever I've had the chance to see St Johnstone, given his name keeps cropping up. I have to be honest and say I've seen nothing at all that convinces me he's at, or even close to, our level. In fact I'd say its arguable if he's even good enough for the Dhims.:eek:

I guess I'm missing something - but its a No from me.

I've watched McCann closely in their last couple of games against us and whenever I've had the chance to see St Johnstone, given his name keeps cropping up. I have to be honest and say I've seen nothing at all that convinces me he's at, or even close to, our level. In fact I'd say its arguable if he's even good enough for the Dhims.:eek:

I guess I'm missing something - but its a No from me.
He played very well in the two most recent games against us particularly at Ibrox.

He played very well in the two most recent games against us particularly at Ibrox.
I'm happy to acknowledge I do struggle to gauge a player against us as I'm so focussed on our play but I did try my best and even put myself through their Cup semi-final to have a look.:confused: I'm not seeing it - not that what I see matters, if he's got 'it' then Wilson and Gerrard will know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back