Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not if we reach CL group stage.
We all know it's only a matter of time before Alfie goes,but I hope he stays to the January window,hopefully by then we'll be in the group stages. With the money that'll bring in plus the sale of Alfie,assuming he still wants to go,could bring in something of a windfall for the Club. I'd rather he stayed and as Stevie said gave us the best version of Alfredo, that's the best stage to show his class and where he will attract offers,not this league.

The posters screaming for us ro spend money on players may be showing feelings of inferiority after watching the papes spend, spend spend over the past ten years. The citicism of our Board not spending money for new faces seems rooted in wanting us to go back to the Murray/Advocaat days when we brought in new players every window and Rangers were never off the front and back pages of the MSM.

We are now run completely differently than before. Much more professional and indeed secretive about news leaking out which could influence the negotiations going on behind closed doors.. The professionals are now back in charge so we had better get used to it and enjoy the long period of dominance we deserve.

Look at our squad on paper. It has incredible depth and quality. You could go out and spend £5m on a player tomorrow and it wouldn't gurantee he is good enough to get into our starting line up when everyone is fit and available. Given our budget for a player is 5-7m ish at a push, we will need to get lucky and have done extensive scouting to find a player at that sort of price who just walks right into our team now. That's how good a job Gerrard has done building the squad over the last few seasons.

If a special player becomes available who can take us up a level and is within our budget then we will make the move for them, I have no doubt about that. The flip side is, I would also be over the moon if the window was closing tomorrow and we were going with the squad as it is.

I’m talking about starting 11 for the UCL playoffs here, and comparing it to the team knocked out by Slavia. It was widely acknowledged after that game that we could do with an addition to take us up a level in Europe.

Lundstram in for Kamara and Sakala in for Roofe doesn’t improve us for those ties no.
Far too early to tell,is it not. I think these players are well capable of stepping up,if called upon. We need to give them time to bed in ,as it were.

To those who screamed Andy Halliday is in the know. This is what’s he’s paid to think. He won’t know much of what’s going on with Gerrard and Wilson etc

He said it on Clyde last night, along with claiming that Borna had been at the Euros longer than Alfie had been at the Copa, it was utter nonsense, but for anyone who wasn’t clued up they’d have taken it as Morelos was disrespecting the club, which he isn’t, especially if its true he’s back in Glasgow now.

Mirko Maric. Scored 2 goals in Serie B since signing for Monza last summer.

Was never good enough for us but FF is ridiculous for throwing a name around then a large amount of posters become obsessed with signing that player based on absolutely nothing.
In fairness a few of us who follow Croatian games now and then said he wasn't a good fit for us.

Others like Ivanusec a different story but we missed the boat on him(as an example).

I think that Europe is a vital area for finance for the club but I’ve always been of the opinion that our bread and butter is the league over everything else.

Does our squad win the league as it is- absolutely.

Will we sell players, yes we have too.

I expect that we sell and replace whilst banking money, so Morelos for say £15-20m, replacement for £6-7m and bank the rest.

Europe though can provide us with the finance to build a squad which wins the league.

Qualifying for the CL group stages this season and winning the league could bank us £60m. Our squad would be a lot less impressive if we had to sell enough players to bring in £60m.

Ffs. Yet they wonder why we want them to pay for access. Someone sent me a link to the bold Frank McAvennie calling him an "utter embarrasment".

A guy who actually finished his season last of every player and cut short his holiday entitlement, no less. They hysteria surrounding everything he does is staggering.

So because I'm bored and nothing seems to be happening transfer wise to keep us interested, I decided to try take an objective look at our squad to see where we are what we really need.

The main objective and what we should be looking at, is the squad good enough to win the league? The bigger picture here is obviously direct entry into the Champions League group stages. The riches generated from the group stages allow us an opportunity to further invest in the squad and become a team strong enough to make the group stages even if we have to go through the qualifying rounds.

We have to become self sustaining as a club, and soon. Getting into the group stages next year is a massive step towards this. We really should be focusing on ensuring we win the league and make it in next season. We also need to think player sales as well, we can't guarantee champions league football every season, I think the model the club is going for is the club revenue covers all our expenses out with transfer expenditure. Player sales will in the future fund our own transfers, along with any profits made in Europe. I think everyone is well aware of this tbh. We will focus on value, sell a high value asset for over 10m and replace him with someone who costs half that much but who has the potential to be better. The real challenge is getting the squad to a position where it is a simple case of one in, one out. We don't want to he in the position the mhanks have found themselves in where one player sale has to fund a whole new defence. The question, are we there yet? I believe we are very close.

Starting in the GK position.
Probably out lowest priority, at least for this season. McGregor, what can we really say that hadn't been said. Number 1 for a reason. Slightly concerned at his advancing years but nothing to worry about for the season ahead. McLaughlin is more than capable as a number 2, filling in when and where he is needed. Would we be comfortable with him, long term after Mcgregor retires, being number 1? I'm not so sure. Maybe we have the answer already in McCrorie, I haven't seen much of him tbh, maybe someone who has can answer that? In summary though, we do need to start thinking about the future, long term in the goalkeeping department, but it's very much the lowest priority area for us. By far and away the best in the league here.

Centre Back. Godson, Helander and Balogun more than good enough to rotate through the two centre back positions. No issues at all there, Katic can hopefully get back on his feet and fill in when needed, along with Simpson as 5th choice IMO, capable but not likely to be fighting for a start. We are well set here, and for a few years, maybe bring someone in to replace Balogun next season and watch what happens with Katic, if he can't find his feet he may need a replacement but fingers crossed the big guy hits the ground running. In terms of transfer value though, not the highest, Goldson would command a decent fee but I can't see him leaving now tbh. Katic maybe if he gets going again? Regardless, not a concern for the season ahead, more than good enough to win the league. Another low priority.

Full backs. Tavernier, Patterson, Barisic, Bassey. Best 4 full backs in the league. Would maybe struggle for squad rotation if one of them got a long term injury but all 4 are good enough. Maybe Bassey is sometimes a bit raw if being hyper critical but he has looked good preseason. In terms of value, Barisic and Tav would command a decent fee, even if they are getting towards their 30s. If Patterson has another good season and picks up more caps for Scotland, he would be worth an absolute fortune imo. Again, for the season ahead, more than good enough.

Midfield. Here's where it gets interesting. On paper, it looks like we have an abundance of centre mids. And we do.
However, you have to consider how we play. Gerrard likes 2 midfielders sitting a little deeper and one further forward.
The deeper role will be filled by Kamara, Jack, Davis and Lundstram. 4 absolutely quality players. However, Jack is plagued by injury problems and Davis isn't getting any younger, can he really be expected to play at the same level and intensity as last season? He needs to play a few less games than last season at least. Lundstram will undoubtedly help out here. But an injury to Jack and one other leaves us a bit thin here. Young Kelly looks more than capable of stepping up, but it's unfair to expect him to be an ever reliable presence at midfield when he's barely played a game for us. He should be with the squad this season, absolutely. Bed him in, making plenty of sub appearances and a few starts here and there and look to progressing him next season. Maybe he can be a straight replacement for Davis? Anyway, I would be happier with one more body to fill this role (Veerman or ths boy from Coventry would be ideal ). Not only for extra cover but to add a bit of value, Kamara is obviously one of our prized assets, but we are unlikely to sell any the others, at least for a decent fee.
In the more attacking midfield position, we have Hagi, Arfield and I like Aribo in this role too. Good blend of experience and youth here, enough quality to win the league too. Plenty of high value assets in Hagi and Aribo, who would both command sizeable fees. Another low priority area.

Forwards. Morelos, Kent, Roofe, Sakala, Wright, Defoe, Itten. Formidable strength here. Lots of different styles too. Want pace? Kent, Sakala, Wright. Want to hold up play and run a defence ragged? Kent, Morelos, Roofe. Two up top? Morelos, Roofe. Or Morelos, Sakala. Or Roofe, Itten. We are spoiled for choice here. And value too. Morelos and Kent are two of our highest value players, and Sakala and Itten both have the potential.to be. Maybe we could use another wide option for depth, (hopefully we get rid of Barker and Jones and if we don't bring someone in, maybe Mcpake or Kennedy could get a chance?)

To summarise, one more.holding midfielder. (And if you want to spoil me, a utility full back and winger for cover but that is absolutely not needed).Thereafter, it would just be replace whoever we sell with like for like, high potential high value players.

Long term, a replacement for Mcgregor and Davis (if McCrorie and Kelly don't seem like they will be good enough) and another first choice centre back.

The reality is though, our squad is the strongest in every department in terms of quality and depth in the league. No one else can really compete with us, it should be more than enough to see us through and into the riches of the champions league. I just don't want us to make the same mistakes the mhanks made and rest on our laurels. We need to address problems in the squad before they happen whilst we have the opportunity to do so.

So because I'm bored and nothing seems to be happening transfer wise to keep us interested, I decided to try take an objective look at our squad to see where we are what we really need.

The main objective and what we should be looking at, is the squad good enough to win the league? The bigger picture here is obviously direct entry into the Champions League group stages. The riches generated from the group stages allow us an opportunity to further invest in the squad and become a team strong enough to make the group stages even if we have to go through the qualifying rounds.

We have to become self sustaining as a club, and soon. Getting into the group stages next year is a massive step towards this. We really should be focusing on ensuring we win the league and make it in next season. We also need to think player sales as well, we can't guarantee champions league football every season, I think the model the club is going for is the club revenue covers all our expenses out with transfer expenditure. Player sales will in the future fund our own transfers, along with any profits made in Europe. I think everyone is well aware of this tbh. We will focus on value, sell a high value asset for over 10m and replace him with someone who costs half that much but who has the potential to be better. The real challenge is getting the squad to a position where it is a simple case of one in, one out. We don't want to he in the position the mhanks have found themselves in where one player sale has to fund a whole new defence. The question, are we there yet? I believe we are very close.

Probably out lowest priority, at least for this season. McGregor, what can we really say that hadn't been said. Number 1 for a reason. Slightly concerned at his advancing years but nothing to worry about for the season ahead. McLaughlin is more than capable as a number 2, filling in when and where he is needed. Would we be comfortable with him, long term after Mcgregor retires, being number 1? I'm not so sure. Maybe we have the answer already in McCrorie, I haven't seen much of him tbh, maybe someone who has can answer that? In summary though, we do need to start thinking about the future, long term in the goalkeeping department, but it's very much the lowest priority area for us. By far and away the best in the league here.

Centre Back. Godson, Helander and Balogun more than good enough to rotate through the two centre back positions. No issues at all there, Katic can hopefully get back on his feet and fill in when needed, along with Simpson as 5th choice IMO, capable but not likely to be fighting for a start. We are well set here, and for a few years, maybe bring someone in to replace Balogun next season and watch what happens with Katic, if he can't find his feet he may need a replacement but fingers crossed the big guy hits the ground running. In terms of transfer value though, not the highest, Goldson would command a decent fee but I can't see him leaving now tbh. Katic maybe if he gets going again? Regardless, not a concern for the season ahead, more than good enough to win the league. Another low priority.

Full backs. Tavernier, Patterson, Barisic, Bassey. Best 4 full backs in the league. Would maybe struggle for squad rotation if one of them got a long term injury but all 4 are good enough. Maybe Bassey is sometimes a bit raw if being hyper critical but he has looked good preseason. In terms of value, Barisic and Tav would command a decent fee, even if they are getting towards their 30s. If Patterson has another good season and picks up more caps for Scotland, he would be worth an absolute fortune imo. Again, for the season ahead, more than good enough.

Midfield. Here's where it gets interesting. On paper, it looks like we have an abundance of centre mids. And we do.
However, you have to consider how we play. Gerrard likes 2 midfielders sitting a little deeper and one further forward.
The deeper role will be filled by Kamara, Jack, Davis and Lundstram. 4 absolutely quality players. However, Jack is plagued by injury problems and Davis isn't getting any younger, can he really be expected to play at the same level and intensity as last season? He needs to play a few less games than last season at least. Lundstram will undoubtedly help out here. But an injury to Jack and one other leaves us a bit thin here. Young Kelly looks more than capable of stepping up, but it's unfair to expect him to be an ever reliable presence at midfield when he's barely played a game for us. He should be with the squad this season, absolutely. Bed him in, making plenty of sub appearances and a few starts here and there and look to progressing him next season. Maybe he can be a straight replacement for Davis? Anyway, I would be happier with one more body to fill this role (Veerman or ths boy from Coventry would be ideal ). Not only for extra cover but to add a bit of value, Kamara is obviously one of our prized assets, but we are unlikely to sell any the others, at least for a decent fee.
In the more attacking midfield position, we have Hagi, Arfield and I like Aribo in this role too. Good blend of experience and youth here, enough quality to win the league too. Plenty of high value assets in Hagi and Aribo, who would both command sizeable fees. Another low priority area.

Forwards. Morelos, Kent, Roofe, Sakala, Wright, Defoe, Itten. Formidable strength here. Lots of different styles too. Want pace? Kent, Sakala, Wright. Want to hold up play and run a defence ragged? Kent, Morelos, Roofe. Two up top? Morelos, Roofe. Or Morelos, Sakala. Or Roofe, Itten. We are spoiled for choice here. And value too. Morelos and Kent are two of our highest value players, and Sakala and Itten both have the potential.to be. Maybe we could use another wide option for depth, (hopefully we get rid of Barker and Jones and if we don't bring someone in, maybe Mcpake or Kennedy could get a chance?)

To summarise, one more.holding midfielder. (And if you want to spoil me, a utility full back and winger for cover but that is absolutely not needed).Thereafter, it would just be replace whoever we sell with like for like, high potential high value players.

Long term, a replacement for Mcgregor and Davis (if McCrorie and Kelly don't seem like they will be good enough) and another first choice centre back.

The reality is though, our squad is the strongest in every department in terms of quality and depth in the league. No one else can really compete with us, it should be more than enough to see us through and into the riches of the champions league. I just don't want us to make the same mistakes the mhanks made and rest on our laurels. We need to address problems in the squad before they happen whilst we have the opportunity to do so.

Absolutely cannot be fucked reading all that.

He said it on Clyde last night, along with claiming that Borna had been at the Euros longer than Alfie had been at the Copa, it was utter nonsense, but for anyone who wasn’t clued up they’d have taken it as Morelos was disrespecting the club, which he isn’t, especially if its true he’s back in Glasgow now.
Borna finished euros 28th June
Alfie finished Copa 9th July.
He has only had 2 a week holiday despite being entitled to 3 weeks

Halliday is just like the rest of the so called pundits on radio and tv the more bitter
and controversial they come across the more gigs they get.

Edmundson truly fucked it by deciding to go to that party.

He'd have been away regardless of that. He wasn't good enough to play for us. We were already looking into other centre back options. We may not have brought Simpson up in January and Edmundson may have played in enough games towards the end of the season to qualify for a medal, but he'd still have been moved out. He had months to impress the management in training after the covid breach and clearly didn't.

Europe though can provide us with the finance to build a squad which wins the league.

Qualifying for the CL group stages this season and winning the league could bank us £60m. Our squad would be a lot less impressive if we had to sell enough players to bring in £60m.
The point I was trying to make is that we need to sell, it’s not just about buying.

Far too early to tell,is it not. I think these players are well capable of stepping up,if called upon. We need to give them time to bed in ,as it were.
I was asked a direct question so gave my opinion. I rate Roofe and especially Kamara very highly. Kamara in particular is a loss because he is far stronger defensively and in possession than those replacing him imo.

I genuinely don't think he has a very good overall ability level mate,technically Croatian players are usually excellent but I never saw that with him.
More of a Shankland/Nicky Clark type striker for me who although scores enough goals at a certain level isn't capable of much beyond that.

Ivanusec who was first pointed out to me by other posters on here is the polar opposite.
Very gifted.
Have to say Cav, even from his YouTube clip he didn’t look good.

There’s a first.

Kerr and Rooney would be a loss to them,despite the latter being a prick.

I know the rules prevent it, but I'd happily have let Maxwell,Middleton,Mayo and Katic go there under their current staff team.
Looking like they might lose there whole first choice back four this transfer window and have already lost the lad Melamed it will be interesting to see how Davidson rebuilds if that happens

I know the rules prevent it, but I'd happily have let Maxwell,Middleton,Mayo and Katic go there under their current staff team.
Maxwell and Mayo are already away - but agreed with the sentiment. Davidson is clearly a good coach and getting the most from his squad.

Reactions: cav
I genuinely don't think he has a very good overall ability level mate,technically Croatian players are usually excellent but I never saw that with him.
More of a Shankland/Nicky Clark type striker for me who although scores enough goals at a certain level isn't capable of much beyond that.

Ivanusec who was first pointed out to me by other posters on here is the polar opposite.
Very gifted.

Yes, Luka is 22 & already a full internationalist.

Scores close to 1 in 3 from midfield, which is very impressive based on my last wee look.

Maxwell and Mayo are already away - but agreed with the sentiment. Davidson is clearly a good coach and getting the most from his squad.
Exactly what I meant mate, it's quickly become a much more appealing place to send our fringe/younger players to.

Them looking like losing a fair amount of defenders as the previous poster alluded to should make Katic attractive from their point of view also.

Outside ourselves I think Kerr is the best centre back in the league.

Yeah there coaching staff are good if they start off well I can see them being snapped up by a championship club down south when the Xmas sackings start

TLDR

He only stopped training a fortnight ago, and will have a programme to follow if he's isolating like Sakala did, I doubt it would be a further month before he plays.

Colombia's last game was 17 days ago so he last trained probably 18 days ago. He only played about 10 mins in the Copa America so he hasn't played 90 mins since May. The training he would have been doing at the Copa America would not have been intense, it would have been mostly recovery sessions in between games. He has just finished his holiday and is now in quarantine.

There's zero chance he's fit enough to play for us this time next week even if he has been keeping himself ticking over during his holiday. He's not jumping off a treadmill right into the Starting 11 for a CL Qualifier.

Borna finished euros 28th June
Alfie finished Copa 9th July.
He has only had 2 a week holiday despite being entitled to 3 weeks

Halliday is just like the rest of the so called pundits on radio and tv the more bitter
In any other circles the way the media treat Morelos in this country would be classed as bullying.

Constantly singled out for negative treatment by people who clearly simply don't like him. Guarantee that this guy has had a positive impact on more lives than all of these journos put together but they're not interested in his charity work or the fact he helps out his impoverished village when he can. They're just waiting for him to get booked for petulance or something so they can paint him as the scum of the earth.

He's not at all, he is clearly still pretty close to the squad and has Rangers back pretty often.

I would say it is becoming pretty clear Alfredo was expected back in the country sooner than he has arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back