Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We say this every season about Davis, but I fully expect him to play 50-plus games this season without any issues at all.

The guy is a robot. He played on Sunday with such intensity and barely looked like it taxed him. I expect Davis to be around for another year after this one.

So because I'm bored and nothing seems to be happening transfer wise to keep us interested, I decided to try take an objective look at our squad to see where we are what we really need.

The main objective and what we should be looking at, is the squad good enough to win the league? The bigger picture here is obviously direct entry into the Champions League group stages. The riches generated from the group stages allow us an opportunity to further invest in the squad and become a team strong enough to make the group stages even if we have to go through the qualifying rounds.

We have to become self sustaining as a club, and soon. Getting into the group stages next year is a massive step towards this. We really should be focusing on ensuring we win the league and make it in next season. We also need to think player sales as well, we can't guarantee champions league football every season, I think the model the club is going for is the club revenue covers all our expenses out with transfer expenditure. Player sales will in the future fund our own transfers, along with any profits made in Europe. I think everyone is well aware of this tbh. We will focus on value, sell a high value asset for over 10m and replace him with someone who costs half that much but who has the potential to be better. The real challenge is getting the squad to a position where it is a simple case of one in, one out. We don't want to he in the position the mhanks have found themselves in where one player sale has to fund a whole new defence. The question, are we there yet? I believe we are very close.

Starting in the GK position.
Probably out lowest priority, at least for this season. McGregor, what can we really say that hadn't been said. Number 1 for a reason. Slightly concerned at his advancing years but nothing to worry about for the season ahead. McLaughlin is more than capable as a number 2, filling in when and where he is needed. Would we be comfortable with him, long term after Mcgregor retires, being number 1? I'm not so sure. Maybe we have the answer already in McCrorie, I haven't seen much of him tbh, maybe someone who has can answer that? In summary though, we do need to start thinking about the future, long term in the goalkeeping department, but it's very much the lowest priority area for us. By far and away the best in the league here.

Centre Back. Godson, Helander and Balogun more than good enough to rotate through the two centre back positions. No issues at all there, Katic can hopefully get back on his feet and fill in when needed, along with Simpson as 5th choice IMO, capable but not likely to be fighting for a start. We are well set here, and for a few years, maybe bring someone in to replace Balogun next season and watch what happens with Katic, if he can't find his feet he may need a replacement but fingers crossed the big guy hits the ground running. In terms of transfer value though, not the highest, Goldson would command a decent fee but I can't see him leaving now tbh. Katic maybe if he gets going again? Regardless, not a concern for the season ahead, more than good enough to win the league. Another low priority.

Full backs. Tavernier, Patterson, Barisic, Bassey. Best 4 full backs in the league. Would maybe struggle for squad rotation if one of them got a long term injury but all 4 are good enough. Maybe Bassey is sometimes a bit raw if being hyper critical but he has looked good preseason. In terms of value, Barisic and Tav would command a decent fee, even if they are getting towards their 30s. If Patterson has another good season and picks up more caps for Scotland, he would be worth an absolute fortune imo. Again, for the season ahead, more than good enough.

Midfield. Here's where it gets interesting. On paper, it looks like we have an abundance of centre mids. And we do.
However, you have to consider how we play. Gerrard likes 2 midfielders sitting a little deeper and one further forward.
The deeper role will be filled by Kamara, Jack, Davis and Lundstram. 4 absolutely quality players. However, Jack is plagued by injury problems and Davis isn't getting any younger, can he really be expected to play at the same level and intensity as last season? He needs to play a few less games than last season at least. Lundstram will undoubtedly help out here. But an injury to Jack and one other leaves us a bit thin here. Young Kelly looks more than capable of stepping up, but it's unfair to expect him to be an ever reliable presence at midfield when he's barely played a game for us. He should be with the squad this season, absolutely. Bed him in, making plenty of sub appearances and a few starts here and there and look to progressing him next season. Maybe he can be a straight replacement for Davis? Anyway, I would be happier with one more body to fill this role (Veerman or ths boy from Coventry would be ideal ). Not only for extra cover but to add a bit of value, Kamara is obviously one of our prized assets, but we are unlikely to sell any the others, at least for a decent fee.
In the more attacking midfield position, we have Hagi, Arfield and I like Aribo in this role too. Good blend of experience and youth here, enough quality to win the league too. Plenty of high value assets in Hagi and Aribo, who would both command sizeable fees. Another low priority area.

Forwards. Morelos, Kent, Roofe, Sakala, Wright, Defoe, Itten. Formidable strength here. Lots of different styles too. Want pace? Kent, Sakala, Wright. Want to hold up play and run a defence ragged? Kent, Morelos, Roofe. Two up top? Morelos, Roofe. Or Morelos, Sakala. Or Roofe, Itten. We are spoiled for choice here. And value too. Morelos and Kent are two of our highest value players, and Sakala and Itten both have the potential.to be. Maybe we could use another wide option for depth, (hopefully we get rid of Barker and Jones and if we don't bring someone in, maybe Mcpake or Kennedy could get a chance?)

To summarise, one more.holding midfielder. (And if you want to spoil me, a utility full back and winger for cover but that is absolutely not needed).Thereafter, it would just be replace whoever we sell with like for like, high potential high value players.

Long term, a replacement for Mcgregor and Davis (if McCrorie and Kelly don't seem like they will be good enough) and another first choice centre back.

The reality is though, our squad is the strongest in every department in terms of quality and depth in the league. No one else can really compete with us, it should be more than enough to see us through and into the riches of the champions league. I just don't want us to make the same mistakes the mhanks made and rest on our laurels. We need to address problems in the squad before they happen whilst we have the opportunity to do so.

5-B82813-B-6633-43-CE-97-DF-9-A16-A7-C8545-A.gif

PSV have just banked around £33 Million for Pablo Rosario (to Nice) and Donyell Malen (to Dortmund), reports now linking them with renewed bid for Veerman and re-signing Luuk De Jong from Sevilla.

Last edited:
We say this every season about Davis, but I fully expect him to play 50-plus games this season without any issues at all.
I think @BIGBISCUITOOO 's assessment was reasonably fair although like yourself, I reckon Davis will play a big part in our season.

I would also like another in MF, Jack we can' t be 100% on yet but if fully fit great. Airfield, when fully fit is great but has he ever had a full season fully fit? Not trying to be negative, but he does have dips.

I would imagine Halliday gets his information from a better source than you to be fair.
You’re just wrong, deal with it.

Not sure if a deliberate trouble maker yet.

This would be the same Haliday who said Morelos finished his continental tournament before Barisic despite it being two weeks later. Haliday’s credibility is on an all time low with Rangers this summer. Consistently getting stuff wrong. How’s his big Veerman reveal worked out.

Seems Haliday talks as much rot as you…

to be fair. ;)

Last edited:

This would be the same Haliday who said Morelos finished his continental tournament before Barisic despite it being two weeks later. Haliday’s credibility is on an all time low with Rangers this summer. Consistently getting stuff wrong. How’s his big Veerman reveal worked out.

to be fair. ;)
I’m more inclined to think someone who the manager singled out for praise after he left, who the squad called after winning the league and who is still pals with most of the squad is closer to the general mood drums of the dressing room. He’s clearly seen as “credible” by those people.

I’m more inclined to think someone who the manager singled out for praise after he left, who the squad called after winning the league and who is still pals with most of the squad is closer to the general mood drums of the dressing room. He’s clearly seen as “credible” by those people.
Meh, there’s enough of you on here. Ta ta

to be fair. ;)

Did Halliday actually say we were signing Veerman. Ive never seen the stream footage and it would be pretty unlikely he would mention anything like this. Are we sure he didnt just say he seen we were linked etc and it's grew arms and legs

He's not at all, he is clearly still pretty close to the squad and has Rangers back pretty often.

I would say it is becoming pretty clear Alfredo was expected back in the country sooner than he has arrived.

I don't think that's clear, at all.

I suggest you go and watch Gerrard's interview in full and in context, he didn't seem annoyed or angry, in fact I took it he meant he wasn't sure on the Covid protocols.

Did Halliday actually say we were signing Veerman. Ive never seen the stream footage and it would be pretty unlikely he would mention anything like this. Are we sure he didnt just say he seen we were linked etc and it's grew arms and legs
People think he has sources because he regurgitated an FF rumour a day later

I don't think that's clear, at all.

I suggest you go and watch Gerrard's interview in full and in context, he didn't seem annoyed or angry, in fact I took it he meant he wasn't sure on the Covid protocols.
It’s not clear Halliday is still close to the squad? Really?

re the original Gerrard interview when he was dismissive of the reporter and sounded pissed at the agent, I didn’t think he sounded greatly amused.

Think he'd suit our system much better than Veerman however Veerman is probably a better player if that makes sense
Tbh I'm starting to doubt the whole Veerman thing now none of it really adds up yes we have interest that's clear but until we "officially" put a bid in it's just the same story going round in circles and there is nothing concrete coming out of the Dutch media other than the failed Verona bid.

If he comes great if not then so be it might be best to lower expectations on this one imo.

Last edited:
On who we’re signing?
No idea, but he obviously has sources.

Its became some myth that nobody knows who we are signing yet it was known for months/weeks about Sakala, Lundstram, Roofe, Simpson, Ofoborh, Wright and so on.

Yes we are a lot more tight lipped, especially to the Scottish media, but its impossible to keep transfer news quiet all the time as there is so many partys involved.

It’s not clear Halliday is still close to the squad? Really?

re the original Gerrard interview when he was dismissive of the reporter and sounded pissed at the agent, I didn’t think he sounded greatly amused.
No, it's not clear that Morelos is away longer than he was supposed to be, in fact it's not true, at all and Andy was talking pish, Mish.

When he was talking about Morelos returning it was a completely different part of the interview and irrelevant to his annoyance at Morelos agent.

When he was talking about Morelos returning it was a completely different part of the interview and irrelevant to his annoyance at Morelos agent.

Gerrard isn’t daft enough to say something like this without it having a message behind it

“Alfredo Morelos is due back at some point, we're not sure when but hopefully he'll arrive when he's ready.”

That’s clearly not just said as a throwaway comment . He could have answered that 100 other ways, that Halliday would say what he did is most likely something he is getting vibes from from players he clearly is still close with.

it’s not something worth getting overly upset or defensive about, it’s happened before with Morelos, it’s not as if this is new or something that tends to cause that long a hangover.

No idea, but he obviously has sources.

Its became some myth that nobody knows who we are signing yet it was known for months/weeks about Sakala, Lundstram, Roofe, Simpson, Ofoborh, Wright and so on.

Yes we are a lot more tight lipped, especially to the Scottish media, but its impossible to keep transfer news quiet all the time as there is so many partys involved.
So basically aye he appears to know nothing about our transfers, which was my point

Nobody knows who we are trying to sign outside of a close knit few at the club and that's the way it should be. If Alfie was late the gaffer will deal with it, personally i don't think he was. But I dont know, and I dont think Andy Halliday does either.

Özcan, Veerman, Harroui and Hamer. Of that list, Hamer was probably the most realistic one.

Good player. Brings a bit of every thing; bite and tenacity. Retain possession. Can bring the ball forward, technically sound (came through the Feyenoord academy so you’d expect a bit of technical ability). Good range of passing and has a very good delivery on him.

We were linked last winter window were we not? Think me had a great 3/4 of a season last season and fell away towards the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back