Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bassey isn't better than Josh Doig (who is also younger and actually has more senior experience).

He's only 17. It's arguably more important he's loaned out to a club with a coach we can trust at this early stage of his development, and he'd have that at Kelty under Thomson.
It's all about opinions but I'd rather have Bassey over Doig to be honest.

No denying Bassey had a poor game against St Boo and he was rightly removed from attention by the coaching staff, but before that he had done well when called upon.

Doig clearly has more game time and experience under his belt but at Hibs he receives nowhere near the focus he would get in a Rangers shirt so his mistakes are not highlighted. He is a decent prospect though.

I can definitely see the Man Utd kid having to show it in the B team before he gets a match day shirt.

Gerrard just strikes me as the kind of guy who won't give the lad a free ride just because he is coming up from a good academy.

Hopefully his time at B team level is short as that would only be a good sign he is showing the right attitude, desire and ability.
No doubt they'd have been watching him and must see something in him that's persuaded them to go for him. We seem to be building one helluva squad now which we're going to need anyway,given the amount of games.

I don’t know why we are taking these reports as fact, I think it’s more likely that he trains with the first team and gets the minutes that we were planning for Ofoborh to get.
Because The Athletic are, more often than not, correct.

Yes, I can’t remember a more consistently good period in Europe.

It’s all completely different in terms of mini leagues now, but we were one of the best teams in Europe going back to the 1960’s, and of course that stretched to 1972, but you play more matches in Europe now.

We had finals in 62,67,72 I’m sure, which is bloody impressive.
Very impressive indeed. Imagine if we could get into CL & finished 3rd in group we would give the Europa League a good rattle.

Bassey isn't better than Josh Doig (who is also younger and actually has more senior experience).

He's only 17. It's arguably more important he's loaned out to a club with a coach we can trust at this early stage of his development, and he'd have that at Kelty under Thomson.
Doig is 19 mate.

Doig clearly has more game time and experience under his belt but at Hibs he receives nowhere near the focus he would get in a Rangers shirt so his mistakes are not highlighted. He is a decent prospect though.

Doig is getting talked about as the next best thing by far better experts than me. I have seen the lad on live tv 4 times and been impressed only once and that was the match at Ibrox last Xmas, where he looked the real deal.

However in the two remaining games against us, at Easter Rd and Ibrox, I thought he was little better than average.

The 4th game was the Scottish Cup final v St Johnstone. The week leading up to that game was full of Watford wanting to sign the lad which may have unsettled him some, but fair too say he had a stinker, so much so, he was subbed with around 30 mins to go.

Last edited:
Doig is getting talked about as the next best thing by far better experts than me. I have seen the lad on live tv 4 times and been impressed only once and that was the match at Ibrox last Xmas, where he looked the real deal.

However in the two remaing games against us, at Easter Rd and Ibrox, I thought he was little better than average.

The 4th game was the Scottish Cup final v St Johnstone. The week leading up to that game was full of Watford wanting to sign the lad which may have unsettled him some, but fair too say he had a stinker, so much so, he was subbed with around 30 mins to go.
Patterson roasted him all game in the last game at Ibrox

Paying £750,000 for a B team player, the hubris is well and truly back.
I take it the Manchester Evening Times reporter will not have direct access to our staff`s intentions on any new signings.

That said, SG has shown with various players that he will have them settle in over a certain period of time, instead of throwing them in at the deep end. It is not what we desperately need, so we won`t do it. Likewise, I doubt that he will not play for our first team every now and then, unless B-Team rules forbid that.

Yes, I can’t remember a more consistently good period in Europe.

It’s all completely different in terms of mini leagues now, but we were one of the best teams in Europe going back to the 1960’s, and of course that stretched to 1972, but you play more matches in Europe now.

We had finals in 62,67,72 I’m sure, which is bloody impressive.
61 Grigo.

4-1 to Fiorentina, Alex Scott scored our goal.

The St Mirren comments are valid, but are outweighed by his good performances like Liege.

He was honking against St Mirren (as were the whole team). He's not the first young fullback who has been roasted and turned out to be a good player. F*ck look at the amount of times Tav got roasted for us in his early days and he was a lot more experienced than Bassey.

He was genuinely outstanding when he came on against Liege last season in really difficult conditions. That performance alone showed anyone with an ounce of knowledge that he definitely has something about him worth persisting with.

He was honking against St Mirren (as were the whole team). He's not the first young fullback who has been roasted and turned out to be a good player. F*ck look at the amount of times Tav got roasted for us in his early days and he was a lot more experienced than Bassey.

He was genuinely outstanding when he came on against Liege last season in really difficult conditions. That performance alone showed anyone with an ounce of knowledge that he definitely has something about him worth persisting with.
I agree mate.

Joining the B team it says. Surprised at that tbh, coming from United I thought he’d be ready to play at a higher level than that at this stage.

Ability wise perhaps, but we will be given a year to adapt to the culture, living away from home and the club wider club ethos. The B Team will be a perfect opportunity to shine before making the step up a year later.

What was Gerrard going to say? Doig is a kid, SG hardly going to state that he was garbage in a game.
He didn’t need to mention him at all. He’d say the same as usual , “Patterson performed really well” or something.

Does he always mention the opposing player when talking about our player? Never heard him do it before.

He did not roast him.

One of the few things Gerrard got wrong in terms of player management for me.

I think Bassey could have had a few more games after the St Mirren debacle, but he has done well in pre-season.

If he’s coming from EPL2 level I’d have thought he’d be ready to immediately go out on loan to a St Johnstone or Ross County for a season.

I think the idea would be we want him settling into life in Glasgow and surrounding him with the right sort of people. Get shipped out to other clubs and there is risk of drugs and booze. We will want him in our environment with the likes of Davis and Defoe watching out for him. It's what the B Team will be so advantageous for. We'd all wish for a higher level but you just had to watch the wee bears against civil service strollers the other night to see that they have much to learn and gain at that level.

He didn’t need to mention him at all. He’d say the same as usual , “Patterson performed really well” or something.

Does he always mention the opposing player when talking about our player? Never heard him do it before.

He did not roast him.

I think when the other player is also a talented player making his way in the game, it seems obvious he would give him some encouragement. Especially if he’s someone we are watching for down the line, which we obviously will be.

Patterson got the better of him quite easily that day. Don’t think that means Doig is poor either just don’t think Gerrard not saying Patterson was clearly better on the day means he wasn’t.

Have you seen Bassey in close season? He’s been everything Borna hasn’t been. Pacey, strong, direct. That’s no criticism of Borna but Bassey looks to be a very good modern fullback.
Bassey doesn’t have anywhere near the same level of quality in the final third though, he has had a really impressive pre season but Rangers are a considerably weaker side when Barisic doesn’t play. His delivery is arguably world class.

No criticism of Borna?

You've basically just hung him out to dry with those comments .

Borna is the best LB in Scotland by quite a distance.
Eh? Bassey and Borna are two different fullbacks. You tell me Borna is strong fast and direct? He isn’t. He’s neat, makes his own space and puts the ball in early. Bassey is direct, strong and tricky, more like Tav.

how the f*ck is that hanging him out to dry?

If there was a straight choice I’d keep Kamara.
Yep. Glen Kamara is an absolutely brilliant player for us. Anyone else coming in is a risk and probably needs at least 6 months to bed in. Including a Veerman. I would love GK to stay at least 3 more years. Unfortunately I think he will go to a far better league.

Eh? Bassey and Borna are two different fullbacks. You tell me Borna is strong fast and direct? He isn’t. He’s neat, makes his own space and puts the ball in early. Bassey is direct, strong and tricky, more like Tav.

‘Bassey is everything Borna isn’t’ does come across as a bit strange when one of them is up there with some of our best ever left backs and the other has had a decent pre season.

Barisic might not even be slower than Bassey, his long strides are deceptive and I don’t think there’s much in it.

Borna is also one of our most direct players, he whips early crosses all the time. It’s not just about getting to the byline quickly.

‘Bassey is everything Borna isn’t’ does come across as a bit strange when one of them is up there with some of our best ever left backs and the other has had a decent pre season.

Barisic might not even be slower than Bassey, his long strides are deceptive and I don’t think there’s much in it.

Borna is also one of our most direct players, he whips early crosses all the time. It’s not just about getting to the byline quickly.
Bassey and Borna have different qualities. I don’t think that’s such a ridiculous thing to say? It works the other way. Borna is everything Bassey is not. Just you looking to be ragin’

they offer different qualities and i stand by that, a blind man can see it.

Bassey and Borna have different qualities. I don’t think that’s such a ridiculous thing to say? It works the other way. Borna is everything Bassey is not. Just you looking to be ragin’

they offer different qualities and i stand by that, a blind man can see it.
I’m not raging at all, I just disagree with you.

I don’t think Bassey offers anything that Barisic doesn’t.

I’m not raging at all, I just disagree with you.

I don’t think Bassey offers anything that Barisic doesn’t.
Barisic isn’t tricky, he doesn’t take players on often, he doesn’t take on a foot race

Bassey has done on every occasion. If you cannot see that they are two different style of full backs then you are watching the wrong sport.

Reactions: CF4
If there was a straight choice I’d keep Kamara.

If it's a simple footballing decision, absolutely.

If finances come into play? The opportunity may be there to make big money on Kamara, sign Veerman then make big money on him in years to come.

I know it shouldn't be about that, but it's got to be a consideration for a club like ours at least.

Barisic isn’t tricky, he doesn’t take players on often, he doesn’t take on a foot race

Bassey has done on every occasion. If you cannot see that they are two different style of full backs then you are watching the wrong sport.
Barisic takes on and beats his opposing fullback multiple times in every game he plays.

Reactions: Moz
Barisic takes on and beats his opposing fullback multiple times in every game he plays.
Bassey literally said he models his game on Marcello.
Barisic and Marcello have completely different styles but we’ll agreee to disagree.

But do watch how many times Barisic stops and comes inside when the early cross isn’t on this season.

Bassey literally said he models his game on Marcello.
Barisic and Marcello have completely different styles but we’ll agreee to disagree.

But do watch how many times Barisic stops and comes inside when the early cross isn’t on this season.
I’m not disputing that they’re different stylistically, I’m just challenging the claim that Barisic doesn’t also posses the qualities that Bassey does.

Barisic was very direct when he played against us for Osijek. The differences you see are more than likely instructed because we need to be more disciplined in competitive fixtures.

Just to add stats to this debate - Barisic averaged 1.77 dribbles per game last season.
That's probably quite good compared to the league, no? But yeah Borna does prefer to cross more than dribble lots. Tavernier has more pace than him.

Calm down Calvin we all think you’re a decent player but you are not “everything that Borna isn’t”

I’m not disputing that they’re different stylistically, I’m just challenging the claim that Barisic doesn’t also posses the qualities that Bassey does.

Barisic was very direct when he played against us for Osijek. The differences you see are more than likely instructed because we need to be more disciplined in competitive fixtures.
All pre season Bassey has been using flair and hitting the byline constantly, using his pace and strength to go by players (something Barisic rarely, if ever, does), they bring different things to the table. It’s the way our system works. Different style players for different types of games, keys to unlock different tactics. It’s glaringly obviously that they are very different fullbacks. For some reason you seem to be taking that as a criticism of Borna, who has a world class delivery and that is his main strength which when he is on the field, we play to - where basseys main strengths lie in speed, power and flair… something Barisic does not leverage often.

But as I said we will agree to disagree, going round and round here

That's probably quite good compared to the league, no? But yeah Borna does prefer to cross more than dribble lots. Tavernier has more pace than him.
I quite like the contrasting styles between the two, Tav is all about pace, power and his incredible engine - whilst Borna is more finessed.

Both possess tremendous crossing ability, Borna’s crosses tend to be more precise whereas Tav finds an area.

Barisic doesn’t beat his opposing fullback very often. He makes space for the cross aye, but that’s different than skinning a player.

Basseys ability to do that comes from his upbringing.

It’s okay to be wrong sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back