Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a slight concern we aren’t cashing in at the right time with players, Morelos being the biggest example. Only so many years he can be motivated for Scottish games and he also has two years left on his deal, which I think is fair to say him renewing isn’t likely, leaving us in a now or never situation to get his true value. It goes without saying that’s he a really good player but we have to start doing the selling part of ‘buy low, develop, sell high’.
We do need to start implementing that model but it doesn't mean we should just take the first offer we receive for a player either. The club in a way were justified in not taking the offer for Alfie as he made a massive contribution towards 55.

''But the way Gerrard spoke we’d get signings that take the first 11 up a level.

Still to happen
.''

Your own words, not mine. Nice to see you've written Lundstram and Sakala off already.
Lundsram from what I see is already a starter in the 1st 11 I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be he looks an improvement than last years midfield

Having watched Hagi play a bit as a number 8 and excelling against Madrid... is there a chance that Gerrard might play him there more in lieu of a new signing? Effectively what im saying is, is it possible Hagi has changed Gerrards mind about someone we were looking at signing? Veerman perhaps?

Fwiw. I think Hagi will transition to a number 8 over the course of his career anyway and will be a better player for it.

Having watched Hagi play a bit as a number 8 and excelling against Madrid... is there a chance that Gerrard might play him there more in lieu of a new signing? Effectively what im saying is, is it possible Hagi has changed Gerrards mind about someone we were looking at signing? Veerman perhaps?

Fwiw. I think Hagi will transition to a number 8 over the course of his career anyway and will be a better player for it.
I have been telling my mates this for months and everyone told me i was talking nonsense.

Hagi has been used in this position for a majority of pre season which would indicate this is where the manager sees him being used.

As said by others, I think it’s obvious we are waiting on outcome of Malmö tie and then the play off.

players will have been talked too and I’m in no doubt that we may have one or two on a hook of ‘we can give you cl football …’
wrt goldson et al contract the same applies.

If lundstram is on more then I can’t blame players for asking for more, also if we qualify for the cl, again players can say - you expect me to play in the cl and perform, pay me accordingly.

Again, we need 2/3 outwards as well.

barker, hastie, Jones ok perms if poss.

middleton has something about him but if gaffer thinks otherwise he needs punted too.

As I said a week ago I don’t see us doing anymore business unless we sell someone and get rid of the last of the deadwood in the squad. Only then will we bring someone in imo, which I don’t think will happen. It’s a lot less stressful going into a season knowing you don’t need a complete squad overhaul.

Even if we sell I don’t see us going for someone like veerman and spending £7 million, that’s a big outlay for us.

Steven Gerarrd has the look of a manager very happy with his squad. Even to the point that if he had £10mil to spend he might feel he doesn't need too at the moment.

We qualify for the Champions League then he'll maybe look to add a player but he does seem like a guy that knows players like Sakala and Lundstrum have already improved this team.

I have a slight concern we aren’t cashing in at the right time with players, Morelos being the biggest example. Only so many years he can be motivated for Scottish games and he also has two years left on his deal, which I think is fair to say him renewing isn’t likely, leaving us in a now or never situation to get his true value. It goes without saying that’s he a really good player but we have to start doing the selling part of ‘buy low, develop, sell high’.

im not so sure. If we make the champions league and we have some good performances then the value of our assets will continue to rise

I think we need to be realistic. We spent a lot of money last season on the likes of roofe, itten etc and yet again didnt get much money back in from transfers. At this moment in time we aren’t guaranteed any European football and I think we’ll be waiting to see what happens before doing anything. Wouldn’t be at all suprised if goldson signs his deal when we beat Malmö and are guaranteed at least europa league

im not so sure. If we make the champions league and we have some good performances then the value of our assets will continue to rise
It's still early in the window. No need to sell yet. I think we might see one big sale.

As said by others, I think it’s obvious we are waiting on outcome of Malmö tie and then the play off.

players will have been talked too and I’m in no doubt that we may have one or two on a hook of ‘we can give you cl football …’
wrt goldson et al contract the same applies.

If lundstram is on more then I can’t blame players for asking for more, also if we qualify for the cl, again players can say - you expect me to play in the cl and perform, pay me accordingly.

Again, we need 2/3 outwards as well.

barker, hastie, Jones ok perms if poss.

middleton has something about him but if gaffer thinks otherwise he needs punted too.
Think what needs to happen with Middleton is put him in a position and stick with it. He's not a left back and doesn't fit the style of playing as a wide 10. I think there is potential there to mould him into a striker as he's a good finisher.

Barker, Jones and Hastie will all go out on loan again they're on too much cash to even try punt to someone permanently no clubs in Scotland can afford their wages.

I'm very pleased with the squad just now, however it can always be improved.

Also just as a side note to the spend when we qualify for CL - it may be the case of if/when we beat Malmo. Win that tie and its either champs league group stages/Europa league group stages & 5m euros.

Lundstram will be a certain starter alongside side Davis and Kamara.

Aribo will have to settle for further up park or even a spot on bench, as will Ryan Jack etc
Lundsram from what I see is already a starter in the 1st 11 I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be he looks an improvement than last years midfield

I'd be very happy to have the current squad, minus those unlikely to play a part, at the close of the window.
We may yet lose 1 or 2 of our assets, however I'm more than confident that the management is prepared for all eventualities.
Roll on tomorrow.

It's still early in the window. No need to sell yet. I think we might see one big sale.
Yeah I agree.

But it will be on our terms. Our players are only going to increase in value given our strong position on the field.

I think this board have been good at realising our value.

Theres upwards of 50m at stake between this season and next if we qualify for the champions league and win the title.

No need to sell our prized assets for bids like 10m for Morelos

Whats the general synopsis on Alfie.Is it all agent bluff and bluster and is there a realistic chance of keeping him as is seems to have gone pretty quiet as far as I can tell.

Whats the general synopsis on Alfie.Is it all agent bluff and bluster and is there a realistic chance of keeping him as is seems to have gone pretty quiet as far as I can tell.
I know nothing but reckon he will be here another season. Doesnt seem likely that someones going to pay what we want for him so he will be staying put.

We can't afford champions league quality players they cost a lot of money. The squad as it stands is more than strong enough to win the league this season which is all that matters. The champions league is a bonus for us this season and given the quality of team we are due to face I don't expect us to get there. We've been down that road in the past trying to chase champions league money we can't go back to those days.
I wouldn't write this squad getting to the CL, nor would I write it off giving a good account of itself if we got there. We'll see next week, but we'll go into that tie without the best striker in this league, and the best midfielder in this league, and yet all going well we will be in the next round; add those two to the next round and we will be even stronger. It's going to have to be a really good side that beats us.

Correct. Get in CL groups and win 56.... well we'd be breaking even for first time in decades. Hugely exciting, and then we'd see huge strides in recruitment.

Also it IS huge to get Katic, Jack and Barisic back fit after Euros injury. It is a strong squad
Even just one champions league group stage sees us in profit, let alone 2 making us break even.

€15 million for making the group stage (€3.6 million for Europa League), probably around €5 million for the 10 year coefficient (just over a million in Europa League) and probably €5 million in TV distribution due to the UK having a massive deal (€1+ million in the Europa League).

We don't know the exact figures but that would be atleast £12-15 million more coming in over the Europa League money. If we have no transfer outlays that would put us in profit.

Just to add to how massive the jump in money is from Europa League to Champions League. 1 champions league GS win (€2.8 million) is worth around the same as 4 Europa League GS wins (€630k) and 2 GS draws (€210k).

I wouldn't write this squad getting to the CL, nor would I write it off giving a good account of itself if we got there. We'll see next week, but we'll go into that tie without the best striker in this league, and the best midfielder in this league, and yet all going well we will be in the next round; add those two to the next round and we will be even stronger. It's going to have to be a really good side that beats us.
Yeah you're right you can never count us out in Europe but personally I think we will get past Malmo but for the playoff round it's a tough ask. I think some people are also getting too caught up in the champions league stuff when it comes to assessing the strength of the squad yes the money from that would be great but another year in the Europa league does us no harm either. The squad we have at present is very good and strong enough to compete on all fronts but the league is the priority with that automatic place next season. I know some might say speculate to accumulate but we are still relying on director loans to cover losses so I think we need to be realistic when it comes to adding or spending money on the squad.

Even just one champions league group stage sees us in profit, let alone 2 making us break even.

€15 million for making the group stage (€3.6 million for Europa League), probably around €5 million for the 10 year coefficient (just over a million in Europa League) and probably €5 million in TV distribution due to the UK having a massive deal (€1+ million in the Europa League).

We don't know the exact figures but that would be atleast £12-15 million more coming in over the Europa League money. If we have no transfer outlays that would put us in profit.

Just to add to how massive the jump in money is from Europa League to Champions League. 1 champions league GS win (€2.8 million) is worth around the same as 4 Europa League GS wins (€630k) and 2 GS draws (€210k).
Yes, but....always a but! We have Director Loans to repay, and stadium work, scouting, training, etc. It's not a "war chest" is all I meant.

Yeah you're right you can never count us out in Europe but personally I think we will get past Malmo but for the playoff round it's a tough ask. I think some people are also getting too caught up in the champions league stuff when it comes to assessing the strength of the squad yes the money from that would be great but another year in the Europa league does us no harm either. The squad we have at present is very good and strong enough to compete on all fronts but the league is the priority with that automatic place next season. I know some might say speculate to accumulate but we are still relying on director loans to cover losses so I think we need to be realistic when it comes to adding or spending money on the squad.
If we focus on this squad, it has got stronger. Players may leave eventually, others may come in, but the strength in depth gives us a very good chance of achieving qualification.

Yes, but....always a but! We have Director Loans to repay, and stadium work, scouting, training, etc. It's not a "war chest" is all I meant.
Yeah I wasn't meaning that either. I was just meaning it would put us in profit and allow us to enhance the club.

Even if we do make it to the group stage this year, I don't see a significant outlay in transfers unless players leave. Putting the finances aside for a second, there just isn't space for new players unless we move players on. We have 2 players for every positions as it stands.

When I say move players on to make space. I'm not talking Barker, Jones, Middleton (loan), Katic (loan), McCrorie (loan), Hastie, etc. I'm talking proper 25 man squad players.

People keep talking about needing a new CM, we have 7 already. Davis, Jack, Arfield, Lundstrom, Kamara, Aribo and Kelly. There is only so much rotation you can do and we seen against St. Mirren changing massive amounts of the team in one game can have an adverse affect.

Champions league qualification and one big sale sets our club up absolutely incredibly for the short term.

Depending who it is it might only barely weaken us such is the strength we have in the squad. It's unbelievable the job we've done.

I think if that does happen though you'll see us bring a reasonable sized signing to replace the one leaving. And still bank a huge amount of money.

I honestly can't believe the potential position we find ourselves in for the long term given qualification for group stages may start to become the norm again.

The director loans have already been converted to shares, so we don’t have anything to repay. We do however need to start selling players to plug the holes in the budget so we don’t need any further loans from them.

If we qualify for CL group stages, imo Morelos will stay, if not he will go, and might not be the only one. It’s happened before in the past, and will happen again.

If we make the Champions league. how much more can we make now Celtic are out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back