Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wonder if any further incomings are dependant on getting some of these fringe players off the wage bill.

Still have a gut feeling we will add 1 or 2 players between now and the close of the window.

Think we can safely say the Veerman saga is over whether we had interest or not clearly nothing has came of it if he indeed was as a priority target he would have been in by now.
Re Veerman. I think it will depend on whether we progress to the group stages of the CL. IMO

It’s always annoyed me when it’s reported that teams (in most cases the tims) receive “£xm” in CL revenue as if that goes straight their account untouched, without taking into consideration the amount of incentive bonuses the players and staff will have nowadays that takes a good chunk of that money.

What are the odds that now we’re the side who’ll most likely earn the most in Europe, they start taking they bonus deductions into consideration?
Papers already did this to a degree. Normally they talk about the group stages being worth ~£30mil

Now it’s us vying for it, they only consider the guaranteed group stage money and using a £14mil figure

Technically both are correct, but it’s pretty duplicitous

Last edited:
Papers already did this to a degree. Normally they talk about the group stages being worth ~£30mil

Now it’s us vying for it, they only consider the guarantee group stage money and using a £14mil figure

Technically both are correct, but it’s pretty duplicitous
Another reason in the long list of them as to why we're charging them for access.

The overriding reason of course being they lie about most things when there's just no need.

I can't see it with Veerman now. Unless behind the scenes he has made it clear we are his preferred option.

From what I have read though that isn't the case. I just can't see us spending big money on someone who isn't desperate to join us.
I think technically he looks fantastic but if his attitude isn't right what's the point?

There's been too much noise about his attitude for it not to have merit.
Which means with some Dutch clubs pulling in good money from sales he'll likely stay over there.

Yeah take the general point again but Katic isn’t CL quality. Jack is if he’s fit and raring to go but he isn’t currently and Kelly whilst promising, isn’t getting into the starting XI at the moment let alone being CL quality.
Jack does a right good job for us mate but he’s not CL level.

FFS. On what basis to you make such a sweeping statement. In all our Euro games so far he has been one of our best performers. Consistently. Only way we will know is if he gets the chance to play there.
Depends what you mean by one of our best. In my opinion not better in our euro games than McGregor, barisic, Goldson, Tav, Davis, kamara, kent or Morelos.

EL to CL is an absolutely massive jump up in quality, he could get fit and prove me wrong and rise to that level but I just think he’s a level below that.

I always do find it strange when fans of the most successful club in the world have less ambition and drive than our DOF, manager & staff.

There is a difference between ambition and reality, making the CL group stage would be an excellent achievement this season,

if we then end up in a shitter of a group like the one mentioned above it is highly unlikely we will have players at that level, it's a bit of a false opposition to claim players aren't "CL level"

You find that a “wow” opinion about what a CL level player should be? Someone capable of playing well in the actual champions league?

Did you understand the question?

I find myself thinking wow that you think we will ever have a starting 11 of players who are all at "CL level" yes.

I’d consider it to be a player good enough to play consistently well at CL group stages at a minimum.
I understand trying to aim for that level but with our budget in a league like ours it's a hard ask we might make the group stages regularly but trying to compete with the finances at the truly top level is borderline impossible

There is a difference between ambition and reality, making the CL group stage would be an excellent achievement this season,

if we then end up in a shitter of a group like the one mentioned above it is highly unlikely we will have players at that level, it's a bit of a false opposition to claim players aren't "CL level"
CL level does not mean having players of Elite club level though. Nobody means that.

Likes of McGregor, Davis, Kent, Morelos are all CL level. They would be able to perform at that level. Thats all he means.

CL level does not mean having players of Elite club level though. Nobody means that.

Likes of McGregor, Davis, Kent, Morelos are all CL level. They would be able to perform at that level. Thats all he means.

Are they though? Would they "really" be able to perform in the group mentioned, thus meaning they actually aren't CL level, so we what, sell them?

Where as if we got a group in the CL with Vilarael, Porto and Benfica who Jack has been good against he then IS CL level?

It just doesn't make a great deal of sense given how vast the range of CL teams are

Are they though? Would they "really" be able to perform in the group mentioned, thus meaning they actually aren't CL level, so we what, sell them?

Where as if we got a group in the CL with Vilarael, Porto and Benfica who Jack has been good against he then IS CL level?

It just doesn't make a great deal of sense given how vast the range of CL teams are
Yes they would.

Jesus christ. Take the day aff.

I would seriously question that even as someone who rates them

Even during the days of Advocaat when we spent an absolute fortune on players, we never at any stage had an entire group of players who could compete at the mythical "CL level".
I like the cute moving of the goal posts here. Nobody said the full squad was to be CL level. Some just think Ryan Jack isn’t.

Was just fascinated to know how quite clearly competed at top end level of European Football Ryan Jack, as evidenced while wearing a Rangers top isn't CL level, not read much at all to make me think he isn't
I think Jack probably is that level, maybe not quite rounded enough to be a number 8 in the CL but we’ll see.

Was just fascinated to know how quite clearly competed at top end level of European Football Ryan Jack, as evidenced while wearing a Rangers top isn't CL level, not read much at all to make me think he isn't
Europa league isn’t top end level European football, that competition is called the champions league.

Europa league isn’t top end level European football, that competition is called the champions league.

Which is oft populated by sides who have dropped out the CL and far more likely to be the standard of side we take points off than going away and winning against someone like Real Madrid.

This season it could feature teams like Porto, Slavia Prague, Benfica, Young Boys, Midytiland all sides we have played in recent years.

Which is oft populated by sides who have dropped out the CL and far more likely to be the standard of side we take points off than going away and winning against someone like Real Madrid.

This season it could feature like Porto, Slavia Prague, Benfica, Young Boys, Midytiland all sides we have played in recent years.
Which likely means all they teams have improved, as we have, to make the CL instead of the Europa.

Which likely means all they teams have improved, as we have, to make the CL instead of the Europa.

Sure, just not convinced the gap between the level we have competed at in the Europa and where we would compete in the CL with 3rd and 4th tier sides is that big at all TBH.

If the expectation is genuinely players to compete with the likes of Madrid, Bayern and City, it is a bit deluded to be honest.

I would seriously question that even as someone who rates them

Even during the days of Advocaat when we spent an absolute fortune on players, we never at any stage had an entire group of players who could compete at the mythical "CL level".
Even though a few of those players have won European medals
Call it a day, mate

FFS. On what basis to you make such a sweeping statement. In all our Euro games so far he has been one of our best performers. Consistently. Only way we will know is if he gets the chance to play there.
Exactly correct. He snuffs out everything coming through the midfield in Europe. Absolutely essential when playing the bigger teams. It will be brilliant seeing him back in the team.

If he had signed from an EPL or European team he wouldn't get the 'not good enough for UCL nonsense'. When Steven Gerrard thinks you are a first pick in midfield you are a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back