Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the move back to 3 subs from 7 in the league, as Gerrard mentioned, has had a big impact on our transfer plans.

It also makes a big difference to some of the players already discussed, such as Kelly and Patterson. It's much harder to give them the game time we'd have foreseen were it 5 subs from 9.

The majority have all been heavily involved in pre season notably Jones and Middleton.

Hastie has been papped to the B team.

And %^*& knows what's happened to Barker he's disappeared hopefully on the move.

It's easier to sell or loan out a player if you can say he's at least had a decent pre-season.

There will have been plenty of work done to move them on, it's just not a thriving market that's available to us.

I think the move back to 3 subs from 7 in the league, as Gerrard mentioned, has had a big impact on our transfer plans.

It also makes a big difference to some of the players already discussed, such as Kelly and Patterson. It's much harder to give them the game time we'd have foreseen were it 5 subs from 9.
It’ll certainly make it tougher to keep a squad as large as ours happy.

It's a great point you have made. Unless we sell any top players I don't see us signing anymore players.

Feyenoord's technical director, Frank Arnesen, confirmed they are interested in him but have said it will be difficult to afford him and no bid has been made.

I've yet to be convinced we were ever interested in him in the first place. All our transfers under Wilson to date have been very silent and very quickly done with no fuss. Neither does Veerman's outspoken manner whenever it appears another club is interested in him fit in with the type of player we would want on our books.
Aside from whether or not we actually need Veerman, paying circa 7 mil + wages for a guy who, as far as I am aware, has never expressed an actual interest in joining Rangers would be a mistake.

Personally, I like the Dutch, but they can be a contrary, argumentative lot. I'd hesitate to bring in to the dressing room someone such as Veerman if they really didn't want to be at Ibrox, and who had signed only for the money.

Aside from whether or not we actually need Veerman, paying circa 7 mil + wages for a guy who, as far as I am aware, has never expressed an actual interest in joining Rangers would be a mistake.

Personally, I like the Dutch, but they can be a contrary, argumentative lot. I'd hesitate to bring in to the dressing room someone such as Veerman if they really didn't want to be at Ibrox, and who had signed only for the money.
Kent’s transfer went to the end of the transfer window and was reliant on europa league qualification to secure the funds. Beat Malmö and it’s 5 million for reaching the play off round. I’m not overly fussed about Veerman and would rather use that money to secure Goldson, Kent and Kamara on new and improved contracts. In saying that I trust Gerrard and the coaching teams judgement if they do decide to go for Veerman, it’s also a bit unfair to class him as being potentially disruptive as they would have done their background checks on him and check with his agent in terms of where his head was at for joining up.

Absolutely. We will have a lot of wages not even getting on the park every week never mind stripped. The squad is totally bloated and needs trimmed down a bit imo.
We need a number out. If anyone’s also making noises about wanting out then move on also. No room for sentimentality

Kent’s transfer went to the end of the transfer window and was reliant on europa league qualification to secure the funds. Beat Malmö and it’s 5 million for reaching the play off round. I’m not overly fussed about Veerman and would rather use that money to secure Goldson, Kent and Kamara on new and improved contracts. In saying that I trust Gerrard and the coaching teams judgement if they do decide to go for Veerman, it’s also a bit unfair to class him as being potentially disruptive as they would have done their background checks on him and check with his agent in terms of where his head was at for joining up.
I'm not sure its 'unfair' to question the apparent lack of enthusiasm shown by Veerman (at least thus far) to the prospect of joining Rangers. Having people who are fully committed to the cause is extremely important - especially at 7 mil.

In the case of Kent whom you cited, he had made repeated statements to Liverpool expressing his wish to join Rangers. I've not heard similar sentiments from. Veerman

If Jack manages to remain injury free this season then he'll play a lot of games, in my opinion.

Out of curiosity, what's the other reasons you think he won't?
His injuries and the fact we have numerous players now competing with him for that position so won’t be a case of Jack’s fit so he starts like it’s been last few seasons, if he’s fit he still plays a massive part though

I see Gary Cahill has annouced that he's leaving Palace. We were linked but by low quality sources. I can't see him joining us as it doesn't make sense with all the defenders that we already have.

It’s alright saying sell people who want to leave. However we can’t sell players when no one has made an offer to buy them. Hopefully Champions League exposure will change that.

I'm not sure its 'unfair' to question the apparent lack of enthusiasm shown by Veerman (at least thus far) to the prospect of joining Rangers. Having people who are fully committed to the cause is extremely important - especially at 7 mil.

In the case of Kent whom you cited, he had made repeated statements to Liverpool expressing his wish to join Rangers. I've not heard similar sentiments from. Veerman
We don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes and people then tend to make assumptions without being aware of the full facts on whether someone is committed or not. Would Gerrard pursue if he felt that he wasn’t ‘fully commuted to the cause’? We do know that Gerrard always picks up the phone and has a chat with the player beforehand, which he’s probably done if we’re interested. Kent’s situation was different as he had been on loan previously and thought he had a prior agreement with Liverpool to allow him to leave.

Hibs getting £5m for Doig is good for the game up here. Too long clubs have undersold. Seen Hibs have announced a strategic transfer partnership with a guy who used to work with Midtylland & Brentford. Graeme Mathie seems a smart guy, I‘m pretty sure there was lots of rumours of Wilson trying to take him to us when Wilson was just appointed. Back to Doig though, he’s a player I really rate but we aren’t in a position to spend £5m on a left back when he isn’t the starter in all honesty.

We don’t know if he’s enthusiastic to come or not . He’s already hit out an said the fee they want for him is ridiculous and he comment on the Hellas link . That might have backfired on him with maybe heerenveen talking to him behind closed doors an made things worse for himself so he’s just keeping the head down in the hope a club can agree a fee for him . If he does sign then it will be because he wants to be here not just for the money . Gerrard will have a few chats with him and if he doesn’t seem enthusiastic or keen to come then the club will pull the plug on the deal

Hibs getting £5m for Doig is good for the game up here. Too long clubs have undersold. Seen Hibs have announced a strategic transfer partnership with a guy who used to work with Midtylland & Brentford. Graeme Mathie seems a smart guy, I‘m pretty sure there was lots of rumours of Wilson trying to take him to us when Wilson was just appointed. Back to Doig though, he’s a player I really rate but we aren’t in a position to spend £5m on a left back when he isn’t the starter in all honesty.

Mathis was at Parkpaed under John Park.

Said it before, but the mooted fee for Doig and the publicised one for Ajer ought to give a little realism as to what we’d expect for our top talent.
Completely agree mate . The people on here who would take 10m for kamara and 12m for Morelos just see it as we should take it cause it’s decent money an we might not get an offer like that high for anyone this summer and want the money to be used to try get more players in . But holding out for more is a win win because even if we don’t get a bid that’s acceptable then we hold on to a first team quality player . Only way I would consider an offer that is below our valuation is if it’s a fringe player on a high wage eg Jones barker hastie. I would even let barker and hastie leave for nothing just to get them off the wage bill

We didn't utilise the loan market last season.

If we qualify for the champions league I could see us taking a look.

Any particular type of loan in mind?
In terms of high quality loans? Sure
There’s some decent talent at a Barcelona for example looking to be loaned out such as

I don't have any names but we become alot more attractive with Champions League Football.

No disrespect to guys like Ojo, Ejaria or Zungu but a step up from them.

If I remember right we got Weiss and Bartley in our last Champions League season who were highly rated first team players.

I don't have any names but we become alot more attractive with Champions League Football.

No disrespect to guys like Ojo, Ejaria or Zungu but a step up from them.

If I remember right we got Weiss and Bartley in our last Champions League season who were highly rated first team players.
I argued more for this last season, ie a high quality loan, but this season I'm not as sure. Good point though.

Can't see us do anymore business unless we sell a key first team player.

Reality is our squad is in a very good place. We can pretty much field two starting 11s capable of winning our league and that's no exaggeration either.

We now have the luxury of only adding quality as/when required compared to where we were in Gerrards first season when we required bodies through the door as we rebuilt. Happy days

That would be incredible money for Hibs to get. Could see £2/3m with lots of add ons.

What would that make Patterson worth just now then? £10-15m? Since he’s already been capped and looked good, already looked good at knockout Europa level etc etc
Patterson stays on track he will go for more than Tierney or similar. Looks every bit as decent as Tierney did at that age and defo has the potential.

Said it before, but the mooted fee for Doig and the publicised one for Ajer ought to give a little realism as to what we’d expect for our top talent.

The fact that if Celtic get close to £20m for Edouard then they'll have made almost £50m in the last 12 months should give us a bit of a shake in terms of valuing our players. Some people on here probably still think £5m is good business for Morelos.

Frimpong, Ajer and possibly Edouard for £50m.

The fact that if Celtic get close to £20m for Edouard then they'll have made almost £50m in the last 12 months should give us a bit of a shake in terms of valuing our players. Some people on here probably still think £5m is good business for Morelos.

Frimpong, Ajer and possibly Edouard for £50m.
I can’t see him going for 20m give. that he’s in his last year of his contract.

Patterson stays on track he will go for more than Tierney or similar. Looks every bit as decent as Tierney did at that age and defo has the potential.

The problem as it stands at the minute is his game time. Tierney was playing 30/40 games as season when he was 18. Patterson is now 19 and only played 16 times for us.

Really frustrating our best prospect is a RB when it’s our captains position. And for what it’s worth, I can’t see them playing much together this season in the same side.

Bit of a sweeping statement, none of our players are tested at that level
Most of our squad have played (and drew or beaten) teams who have been champions league regulars in recent years. Ok I have blinkers on when it comes to us but I genuinely believe we aren’t too far away from competing at that level

The problem as it stands at the minute is his game time. Tierney was playing 30/40 games as season when he was 18. Patterson is now 19 and only played 16 times for us.

Really frustrating our best prospect is a RB when it’s our captains position. And for what it’s worth, I can’t see them playing much together this season in the same side.

I think you're right that Tav and Patterson wont play much in the same team but its good to see that Gerrard rates Patterson that highly that hes been trying to find a way to fit him in.
If he played in any other position it would be hard to justify leaving him out.

A lot of folk go on about there being no pathway to the first team for youth players but the progress of Patterson and now Kelly shows thats not true, if you're good enough, you're old enough

I think another factor should be the injury history of Tierney. To my knowledge Patterson has never missed a single game through injury. Tierney on the other hand. Since joining Arsenal just two years ago he's missed over 40 games through injury. Prior to that with Celtic he missed a similar amount of games over a couple of seasons.

Me either, it’s says a lot about what Gerrard thinks of Patterson when he shifted our captain out of position to play him higher up the pitch to fit Patterson in.

I think Patterson will get about 25/30 games this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back