Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This transfer window was defined by the Malmö result, so I didn’t expect any major incomings. I did expect to lose a couple to balance the books though. That we kept our top players is a transfer window win given our stated desire to get into the player trading game. I’m genuinely surprised that we didn’t sell 1 or 2 of Kent, Morelos, Hagi, Goldson, Barisic, Helander, Tav, Aribo etc. Surprised and delighted given our financial position.

I‘m not overly fussed about missing out on McCann. Decent enough midfield prospect, yes, but I can’t see him getting into our first team. We do need someone to replace Davis eventually but I reckon that’ll be either Kelly or we will spend money on this position next summer if we are in the CL and actually have some money to spend.

Now we move on. Our squad is big enough and talented enough to win this league, even with the inevitable injuries that will happen, given the improving B team options. These boys need a pathway to the first team so it makes sense to me to invest in their development and not block their way by bulking out the first team squad unnecessarily.

I think Kyogo is a good player and they have signed the top scorer in the Eredivise.

Should I just say they’re shite like they do about all of our players?

I stand by my opinion. It won’t help them against a low block and defending set pieces.

We need Roofe to stay fit and Defoe to be ready when needed.

Furuhashi has certainly made a positive start to his Celtic career and seems to be a talent. Has he got to 26 undiscovered in Japan whilst being at Edouard’s level (when he’s trying)? Not a chance.

The Greek guy….now that is interesting. Could be inspired. Or could be a one season wonder. Who knows yet. It’s not like you can be top scorer in the Netherlands and fly under the radar. £2.5 million ?

Maybe they’ve got a bargain. You do wonder why the big three in the Netherlands aren’t looking, at that price

Was hoping nisbet had signed when I woke up. Owell can see him coming in summer if we really want him

I must be one of the very few not disappointed in not signing Ali McCann.

I would have liked a player of real quality brought in but that never happened. Our squad is intact until January at the earliest.

Get players fit, find form and go and deliver. A great win at the weekend against Celtic to kick on from.

Hopefully we will see Juninho Bacuna soon and he brings that injection of quality.

Didnt expect us to spend big today but if anyone in the Rangers recruitment department was aware that Ali McCann was available for £1m and we havent at least tried to get involved at that price they should be sacked for Gross Negligence.
Aye ok mate

best get on to gerrard and tell him that Reyna12 says somebody should be sacked for not going for a player he rates

Can’t say I’m not a little surprised we didn’t do something to replace Itten but there we go, would also have liked to secure McCann

We stay broadly the same, they’ve sold their 2 best players and seem to have taken scattergun approach to replace

Let’s see how it pans out I suppose

Ah well, at least next summer will be interesting because right now we are looking at a serious rebuilding job .

Harsh to say I'm slighty disappointed by this window ? Keeping the big guns is great but given the contract situation of most of them I can't help but feel we've simply kicked the can down the road in 12 months time. Felt that punting one of them would allow us to refresh the squad a wee bit. We can only hope that we've got this right and we secure the direct CL qualification and hit the jackpot because the alternative doesn't look great to me.

Kamara, Kent, Borna, Helander and Alfie will all have a year left on their deals next summer. Goldson will probably walk away for nothing. Davis, Greegs and Arfield all out of contract.

Why do people keep thinking we didn't replace Itten when we signed Sakala at the start of the window? He wasn't here last season so we aren't any worse off numerically in that position than we were when we strolled to the title.

Only in Scotland could Rangers keeping all their championship winning players and Celtc losing 2 of their best players deemed as some sort of 'win' for the mhanks.

The board deserve our trust.

They weren't the ones who decided not to show up against Malmö.
Celtic lost three of their best players, the spine of their team. Ajer, Christie and Eduoard.
They've gambled massively on bringing in a load of new faces to play under a new manager.

Ah well, at least next summer will be interesting because right now we are looking at a serious rebuilding job .

Harsh to say I'm slighty disappointed by this window ? Keeping the big guns is great but given the contract situation of most of them I can't help but feel we've simply kicked the can down the road in 12 months time. Felt that punting one of them would allow us to refresh the squad a wee bit. We can only hope that we've got this right and we secure the direct CL qualification and hit the jackpot because the alternative doesn't look great to me.

Kamara, Kent, Borna, Helander and Alfie will all have a year left on their deals next summer. Goldson will probably walk away for nothing. Davis, Greegs and Arfield all out of contract.
I feel that we will keep some of the 5 players you mentioned and hopefully have extensions done by next season going into the champions league hopefully. If we get there it makes the rebuilding a bit easier with the pull of that and a bit more cash. Obviously just my opinion but positive thinking and all that

A move from st Johnstone to a decent championship club which he’ll likely use as a springboard to bigger and better things.

Not sure what’s FFS about it, you’ll have noticed we haven’t been inundated with offers for our much more illustrious talent such is the current market.

Won’t be many people surprised it that doesn’t prove an absolute steal in years to come, the lad isn’t just rated on FF lol.
Your first para is speculation. We don’t know that will be how it turns out. Could just as easily disappear up his own arse like many before.

Like I said, he’s a decent player and, financially, it’s a good move for him personally. However, the fascination with him on FF was over the top. Some on here would have been happy for us to pay £3m for him.

We need to hope that we can get Goldson and the rest to sign new contracts, that will really determine whether this has been a good window or not. I think it would have been preferable to sell one player and invest some of the proceeds but we’d all be complaining if we’d accepted a bid below value for any of our champions.

It’s a turn of phrase.

However, the number £73m, is the minimum that our Operating Costs will be in the annual report that Rangers accountants are currently preparing.
I know :D I didnt think it would be anywhere near as high

Were we not around 50 odds last year?

We have a good history of signing from other SPL teams that turn out good. I think the problem is the standard nowadays is so ridiculously low that there's nobody that can improve us.

McCann, Ferguson, Nesbit, all decent players at their level but really would any remotely get a sniff near our side? McCann was heralded as a potential gem but 1m to bloody Preston?

I thought the group’s operating expenses (plc) - even factoring in player salary deferrals which will bump up this year’s figure - were north of £73m.
Which means a sizeable deficit.

I'm comfortable that our directors will see is ok, but they are rolling on the CL dice.

This forum is full of some absolute moon units that are detached from reality.
It was an eventful window.

Joey Veerman link despite Heerenveen confirming we were never ever in for him or remotely made any contact

Kevin Nesbit signing yesterday

The poster flipping out that he's been "lied to" and has stayed awake for nothing (it was about 9pm at the time)

Already buzzing for the January window

I think we'll be just fine this season. The big hitters, the experience all remain with us. Sakala, Lundstram, and Bacuna hopefully contribute, and young Kelly, Patterson and Bassey see more game time. Injuries could be a concern in the striker department.
However, the crash barriers are one or two injuries away from mid table mediocrity. Furuhashi and McGregor break down at any point, and Chief Brody will be dealing with another shark infestation down Glitterdome way.

It was an eventful window.

Joey Veerman link despite Heerenveen confirming we were never ever in for him or remotely made any contact

Kevin Nesbit signing yesterday

The poster flipping out that he's been "lied to" and has stayed awake for nothing (it was about 9pm at the time)

Already buzzing for the January window

Haha this and the poster explaining their theory about the pound coins stretched along the Ibrox pitch

I can understand what the board have done as we need to reduce the debts owed to them.

The club had generated a lot of money this season before Europe so I hope that once we go through the group and hopefully into the later stages it may mean we can do some business in January if required.

Until then we need players to step up to the plate and we need injuries and suspensions to be at a minimum.

Same as we done last season, play Roofe through the middle. It worked for us last season in the winter.
I think his point is more that both have a little history for not being available, via Suspension or Injury.

If we had to go into a game with both out....
We are a little light up top.

We will need to rely on an ageing Defoe, a player out of position (eg, Kent) or chap on the B Team's door.

Having said that, we are looking for someone within to be as good as Itten....maybe not that big an ask when you think about it.

Why do people keep thinking we didn't replace Itten when we signed Sakala at the start of the window? He wasn't here last season so we aren't any worse off numerically in that position than we were when we strolled to the title.
You're right. I think people are disappointed we didn't make any signings on the last day. Its crazy but if we had signed Sakala last night at 11pm instead of in May, folk would have gone to bed delighted with our business. I guess some people just need the buzz of late drama.

You're right. I think people are disappointed we didn't make any signings on the last day. Its crazy but if we had signed Sakala last night at 11pm instead of in May, folk would have gone to bed delighted with our business. I guess some people just need the buzz of late drama.
Sakala isn’t a like for like replacement for Itten, if you think that then you know nothing about football. Itten is a goalscorer and Sakala is a wide forward.

Sakala isn’t a like for like replacement for Itten, if you think that then you know nothing about football. Itten is a goalscorer and Sakala is a wide forward.

I think the point is that Sakala joined the club this window. If we had signed him last night rather than a few months ago it would have given the some fans "window slamming shut" buzz they crave.

One or two of them needed to go this summer and it hasn’t happened. Our priority now has to be tying players down on new contracts which, as we’ve seen already with Goldson and Kamara, isn’t a quick and easy process.

We absolutely have to win this league and get that CL money.

I would have liked us to bring someone in for the deeper lying midfield role because we are going to have to replace Davis in the near future. However that ship probably sailed for now due to lack of sales & UCL monies. For me, this is the key position that needs focus

Now the priority should be on protecting our assets & getting contracts signed up. Let's hope we can get some players tied down on extensions over the coming weeks as think it would settle worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back