The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Times (London) were the first to report Gerrard was off to Villa, whilst we sat around laughing saying no chance. Then he was gone.

We need Bassey on a new and improved deal asap or we will lose him this window.

We need to box clever here, although I fear anything over £20m sees him gone

That was English based journalists though, this is some Scottish no mark and looks like click bait.

Don't see Macgregor going on next season think him coming on for those last couple of minutes confirmed that. Balogun if he's managed appropriately would be decent enough cover think his injury issues are down to being overused most of the time but if he goes I wouldn't be bothered. Davis hasn't really played since Gio came in I wouldn't mind him getting another year perfect role model for the younger players trying to break through but with the rumours of St Mirren then I suspect he will be off as well.

Can’t be the only one disagreeing with the 20m everyone is saying they’d accept? I’d want 30m before negotiations even started. The boy is 22 years old, fits the homegrown English rule, has played international football, has won the league, has played in a European finalist and won a domestic trophy. Some players don’t do that for the entirety of their career. Also worth mentioning that he’s still got 10 years of improving to do as well.

If Bassey is to go let’s hope it’s done soon and allows Gio to work with the funds, if Gerrards interest is real then he knows the score and I hope he’ll do us a turn and get it done quickly and won’t mess around with daft bids, Villa are minted, he also likes his business done early.

Not saying we can’t replace him but you said look at his stats. The stats we and other clubs will look at are a lot more than goals and assists.
Not 4 years on its not mate, it really cant be be more clear we need far far more goals from our forward players. Nothing suggest any of our forward players out with our strikers are going to score these goals.

While not a transfer photo, it is a demonstration of what I would like this summer, albeit missing a scarf being held by the player at the left and right end aloft the others and another 4 or 5 players, this actually might happen

An image like this is a reality this summer, what a time to be alive.

Andy-Goram-signed-The-Goalie-photograph-Glasgow-Rangers-12x16-5.jpg

I think that's unlikely given they're all retired.

There's nothing in the written article that confirms the deal is close. Just says that they make a move now just clickbait crap (for now)
What you need to realise is that some publications don’t go to print unless they have very good information. It’s a pre cursor usually to a concrete move. Go look at how the Gerrard move happened.

If Villa pay us £25m and we can get £10m for Aribo (I have a feeling he’s wanting back down the road) on top of the £50m ish from the Europa campaign that’s a healthier budget to lift the whole squad to a different level imo

Losing Bassey is the model we need to follow to be sustainable. Bring him in for next to nothing, sell for big money. Bank some of it, spend some of it and give more minutes to Leon King who by all accounts looks a real prospect as well

Can’t be the only one disagreeing with the 20m everyone is saying they’d accept? I’d want 30m before negotiations even started. The boy is 22 years old, fits the homegrown English rule, has played international football, has won the league, has played in a European finalist and won a domestic trophy. Some players don’t do that for the entirety of their career. Also worth mentioning that he’s still got 10 years of improving to do as well.
£30m to the man at the back … do I have a £32m? Do I have a £35m? Going at £30m….

i wouldn’t aim too high as you will only get disappointed when we accept a crap bid. If anything it will be loaded with add ons.

Yip I’ve rarely seen a newspaper get a transfer wrong....
That’s not the point I’m making. People ate instantly assuming because it was a newspaper article it’s Wrong. The telegraph and times don’t do a lot of sports stories that don’t have very good information, e.g. not clickbait. Accusing websites that operate with paywalls of clickbait is the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen.

I think the Bassey/Villa link will ramp up over the next week or so.

Gerrard always wants the business done as quickly as possible and he will know Bassey will have a long list of admirers.

He will be away soon - i’m convinced of that

What you need to realise is that some publications don’t go to print unless they have very good information. It’s a pre cursor usually to a concrete move. Go look at how the Gerrard move happened.

Stuff about Gerrard came from journalists down south one I'm sure that is a Villa fan. If the deal was close I would be expecting those same people to have the story and not write speculation like that Times article is. Personally I might be wrong but I don't see Bassey going just yet.

There’s nothing from the ITK villa accounts about Bassey, they are normally a few days ahead of anyone coming in. If Bassey does go for 25, it’s better for us to have 3/4 £5m players than one 25m player in our side. Allows for some big upgrades that have ability and lack in fragility.

As much as I'd love to be able to get a fee like that, I'd say it's beyond unlikely.

I actually think we would struggle to get offers of £20m in truth. The best we've had was about £16m for Morelos, and strikers always have a premium attached. The fact Fulham started with a bid of £3.5m says a lot - we don't get the truly big money up here. Even that lot didn't get what they hoped for when selling Dembele, Ajer or Edouard.

The Patterson fee was a bit of a steal, rather than the guideline, I reckon. I hope to be wrong, and if Bassey is to be sold it's for big money, but I don't think £30m is anywhere near possible.

Being honest I think he will be away, the heart doesn’t want it but head says it’s exactly how we need to operate

Club will feel it’s gone as long as it can without moving assets on at exactly right time, missed the boat on one or two over last few years and don’t think we will hang onto him much longer

Stuff about Gerrard came from journalists down south one I'm sure that is a Villa fan. If the deal was close I would be expecting those same people to have the story and not write speculation like that Times article is. Personally I might be wrong but I don't see Bassey going just yet.
The same times journalist you mention reported our interest in Bassey a fortnight ago mate …

Edit ; my mistake - was J Percy telegraph. He’s been correct about Tarkowski it seems.

Last edited:
And just a quick thing on the Kent debate - if it's all about goals, are you advocating playing Sakala wide left ahead of him, given that's his favoured position and he scores more goals?

I'm a fan of Sakala, but surely the difference there is a decent way of highlighting that the numbers aren't everything?

I’m absolutely fine with selling Bassey as long as it’s for £25m plus add ons.
We stagnated last summer and we simply have to sell to progress, they key as always is spending what we have wisely. For every 4-5 we buy we need at least one Calvin Bassey to keep the cycle going

I was thinking that myself especially with Sunderland getting promoted they will want a decent fee, But it’s defo true about enquiring, how far discussions went I don’t know
Can’t imagine we’d pay what they would be looking for, to be honest. Especially when he isn’t likely to be a starter.

(Not saying your info is wrong, by the way!)

If Bassey is to go let’s hope it’s done soon and allows Gio to work with the funds, if Gerrards interest is real then he knows the score and I hope he’ll do us a turn and get it done quickly and won’t mess around with daft bids, Villa are minted, he also likes his business done early.

If Gerrard even attempts to low ball us after some of the things he said when he was up here...

I personally think Villa are looking to operate at a level above our players as good as I think Aribo & Glen are.

They just signed Boubacar Kamara.
I agree but with Aribo in particular likely available for a small fee (relative to what AV are spending) I think there could be interest.

Comment from Gerrard after his latest signing -

"The tone was set in the previous window.
"We got superb backing from the owners, Christian [Purslow] and Johan [Lange] to get those signings done.
"Again, straight away we've moved swiftly, we've moved quietly to try and get another big player in the door.
"To do that on day one of the off-season is a massive step.
"Now it's time to push and move forward for the next piece of the jigsaw."

And just a quick thing on the Kent debate - if it's all about goals, are you advocating playing Sakala wide left ahead of him, given that's his favoured position and he scores more goals?

I'm a fan of Sakala, but surely the difference there is a decent way of highlighting that the numbers aren't everything?
This numbers debate is tiresome as %^*&. There’s 3 categories: those who rate him in all aspects, those who rate him but want more numbers and those who don’t rate him. Who cares.

Sakala has done wel to get his numbers on the right wing and through the middle but I think he has looked more dangerous on the left and shooting with his right foot.

I know he scored in the final (I thought he was awful otherwise though) but for me, Aribo doesnt perform nearly as often enough in big games in europe or old firms. if we got 10m I genuinely think we could get two 4m players and a 2m player that would contribute more to the first 11.

I think 10m could help us on Aribo, and he is inconsistent too, but I think we will miss Aribo’s versatility & physicality more than many are saying.

Look at say Braga at home. Gio chose that role very close to Roofe for him & he added a vital physicality & presence through the middle that night.

He’s played how many positions for us ? Including left back & striker ?

Losing Bassey is the model we need to follow to be sustainable. Bring him in for next to nothing, sell for big money. Bank some of it, spend some of it and give more minutes to Leon King who by all accounts looks a real prospect as well

Expecting Leon to get to Bassey levels is very optimistic in my opinion Jimmy.

I still have questions about his size for a CB in Scotland to be honest. He’s undoubtedly a footballer & is very clever, but a big gap to Bassey right now.

I'd love big Calvin to stay and that we can build our team around him but his recent displays are only going to bring attention to a young man who will become a top class player, so I'm expecting clubs to be very interested in signing him and if so we start the bidding at £25M.

If Villa pay us £25m and we can get £10m for Aribo (I have a feeling he’s wanting back down the road) on top of the £50m ish from the Europa campaign that’s a healthier budget to lift the whole squad to a different level imo

I think you need to be careful with this 50m number Beardy.

Before we kick a ball in Europe we’re losing maybe 15m domestically ? Just a high level guess but I think we might make in the region of 10-15m this season, unless Bassey or another is sold before 30 June.

I am happy enough for us to sell any of our players, no one at the club is unsellable for the right price.

My concern is wither the board will provide the funds required by Gio to rebuild the squad.

A rebuild cannot be done on out of contract players or promissing kids from england.

Needs serious money handed over to allow him to bring in the players he believes will push us on.

I have very little to no faith in the board or wilson that they will get this right, going to be a long summer

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back