Status
Not open for further replies.
Needed:
- 1st choice centre back
- 1st choice centre mid
- 1st choice winger

Desired:
- 1st choice goalkeeper
- additional striker (preferably young with potential, but capable of playing now, if needed)

Maybes:
- 1st choice left back or centre back depending on where the management team see Bassey playing

Reasons:
- 1st choice keeper desired. We have a very capable back up already, and a good youngster in the ranks. I'd focus the transfer budget elsewhere, but if it allows I'd look to strengthen.

- I'm not so sure on our right back cover, but we have a good youngster in the ranks.

- 1st choice centre back needed. Just one quality signing would be enough (or Goldson re-signed). We have plenty of options there if injuries happen. Ideally, we need no more than 5 in the squad (with the 5th being King). So I'd try to move on all but one of: Helander, Balogun, Katic, Simpson.

- We may not require anything at left back. Both Barasic and Bassey are capable of playing at high levels (Europa League being the evidence). Also King is capable in that position. However, if the management team see Bassey as a centre back it could be a position we look to strengthen.

- We have very strong and dependable players in centre mid, but I'd like to sign a first choice centre mid who can go box to box linking up play. I think we missed this in Seville. We have plenty of cover in this area. I think we have too many and would be happy to keep only one of: Arfield, Davis, Kamara.

- I think we have plenty of options for the number 10 role. Aribo, Hagi and Lowry are all very capable of match winning moments.

- I think we need a first choice winger. Our cover is decent but we need someone, other than Kent, that opposition consider doubling up on.

- I think we need a striker to cover injuries and dips in form.

Obviously any interest in our starting eleven affects this, as we would need to invest that back into how we replace that individual.

Also, big decisions need made on Morelos, Kent, Aribo, and Bassey. The first three need to commit or replacements are needed. We need to prepare for being without them if they don't sign. And we can't give them all the power by running down their contracts, and guaranteeing them game time for the season to showcase themselves for their next move.
Bassey we should be trying to commit now so we don't end up in the same position next year. I would say the same for Hagi, but we maybe have more time to assess because of his recent injury.

No harm at all to the lad, but for our club to be playing in a top tier European final to signing the likes of this isn’t a good message to send out.

Yes, I get we need a squad but we really have to be looking at a better level now for players
This is what greatly concerns me about Ross Wilson always feels like a quantity over quality approach.

We should looking in different markets now our stock as a Club is high and there is better value/players elsewhere.
Expecting Leon to get to Bassey levels is very optimistic in my opinion Jimmy.

I still have questions about his size for a CB in Scotland to be honest. He’s undoubtedly a footballer & is very clever, but a big gap to Bassey right now.
I think long term he will be a sensational LB/LWB he has all the attributes and his final ball is constantly improving his pace and power gets us up the park and he can comfortably take players on something Barisic is reluctant to do.

Being versatile brings the bonus of having him as a CB.

No harm at all to the lad, but for our club to be playing in a top tier European final to signing the likes of this isn’t a good message to send out.

Yes, I get we need a squad but we really have to be looking at a better level now for players

We can't build a full squad of better level players. Ross Stewart is a good player, seems to be developing late as such, and would be happy and committed as a squad player looking to force his way in.

We won't get someone as good as Morelos to come here and accept that sort of role, so you have to take a bit of a chance on players like this if you want a strong squad.

He'd surprise a few of our fans, from everything I've seen of him at Ross County and the little since he moved to Sunderland.

Needed:
- 1st choice centre back
- 1st choice centre mid
- 1st choice winger

Desired:
- 1st choice goalkeeper
- additional striker (preferably young with potential, but capable of playing now, if needed)

Maybes:
- 1st choice left back or centre back depending on where the management team see Bassey playing

Reasons:
- 1st choice keeper desired. We have a very capable back up already, and a good youngster in the ranks. I'd focus the transfer budget elsewhere, but if it allows I'd look to strengthen.

- I'm not so sure on our right back cover, but we have a good youngster in the ranks.

- 1st choice centre back needed. Just one quality signing would be enough (or Goldson re-signed). We have plenty of options there if injuries happen. Ideally, we need no more than 5 in the squad (with the 5th being King). So I'd try to move on all but one of: Helander, Balogun, Katic, Simpson.

- We may not require anything at left back. Both Barasic and Bassey are capable of playing at high levels (Europa League being the evidence). Also King is capable in that position. However, if the management team see Bassey as a centre back it could be a position we look to strengthen.

- We have very strong and dependable players in centre mid, but I'd like to sign a first choice centre mid who can go box to box linking up play. I think we missed this in Seville. We have plenty of cover in this area. I think we have too many and would be happy to keep only one of: Arfield, Davis, Kamara.

- I think we have plenty of options for the number 10 role. Aribo, Hagi and Lowry are all very capable of match winning moments.

- I think we need a first choice winger. Our cover is decent but we need someone, other than Kent, that opposition consider doubling up on.

- I think we need a striker to cover injuries and dips in form.

Obviously any interest in our starting eleven affects this, as we would need to invest that back into how we replace that individual.

Also, big decisions need made on Morelos, Kent, Aribo, and Bassey. The first three need to commit or replacements are needed. We need to prepare for being without them if they don't sign. And we can't give them all the power by running down their contracts, and guaranteeing them game time for the season to showcase themselves for their next move.
Bassey we should be trying to commit now so we don't end up in the same position next year. I would say the same for Hagi, but we maybe have more time to assess because of his recent injury.
I agree, we need a first choice goalkeeper; a real one.

Can’t be the only one disagreeing with the 20m everyone is saying they’d accept? I’d want 30m before negotiations even started. The boy is 22 years old, fits the homegrown English rule, has played international football, has won the league, has played in a European finalist and won a domestic trophy. Some players don’t do that for the entirety of their career. Also worth mentioning that he’s still got 10 years of improving to do as well.
It has to be at the very least a Scottish record transfer fee which will really send a message

I think 10m could help us on Aribo, and he is inconsistent too, but I think we will miss Aribo’s versatility & physicality more than many are saying.

Look at say Braga at home. Gio chose that role very close to Roofe for him & he added a vital physicality & presence through the middle that night.

He’s played how many positions for us ? Including left back & striker ?
I absolutely agree he can be useful and is a good player. But I reckon we could get say 2 5m players who would have more of an impact. Albeit, every signing is a gamble at our level in particular so nothing is for certain.

I absolutely agree he can be useful and is a good player. But I reckon we could get say 2 5m players who would have more of an impact. Albeit, every signing is a gamble at our level in particular so nothing is for certain.

I agree with you Blair, trading him for 2/3 quality players will help us.

I’ve just read so many things like Lowry or Hagi being walk on replacements for him.

I don’t think they are, albeit they both have potential, especially Lowry for me.

I just think that the skill set that Aribo has given us needs to be replaced. He’s not played 65 or so matches this season if he doesn’t give value to a team.

Last edited:
Expecting Leon to get to Bassey levels is very optimistic in my opinion Jimmy.

I still have questions about his size for a CB in Scotland to be honest. He’s undoubtedly a footballer & is very clever, but a big gap to Bassey right now.
What do you mean? Isn't he as tall/taller than Bassey, and filling out seemingly every week.

I agree with you Blair, reading him for 2/3 quality players will help us.

I’ve just read so many things like Lowry or Hagi being walk on replacements for him.

I don’t think they are, albeit they both have potential, especially Lowry for me.

I just think that the skill set that Aribo has given us needs to be replaced. He’s not played 65 or so matches this season if he doesn’t give value to a team.
absolutely mate. if we get 10m for him then 10m needs spent, at least half of that on his replacement.

I agree with you Blair, reading him for 2/3 quality players will help us.

Lowry will impact in a big way next season.

What do you mean? Isn't he as tall/taller than Bassey, and filling out seemingly every week.

Maybe I’m wrong Ted, but he doesn’t look it.

He doesn’t look as if he has the same physique & he doesn’t look as if he yet has the same pace either.

I think Leon will be a really good player, but to walk into next season with him in Bassey’s position is a big big ask to me.

His natural position is CDM. You see that right?

He played Gold Cup games which are glorified friendlies, if he was a regular USA international CB, I’d be expecting l something quite different. We need to see if he can rise above “neat and tidy” in the role he’s been brought in to do (not writing him off, he’s had some decent moments).

I said he would fill in there if he had to but he’s never a proper solution at CB for us.
I’m not saying it’s his primary position but he is absolutely an option for us in that role and I certainly don’t agree that he’ll”never play that position for us unless there is a dire emergency”

We 100% need a expected starter/replacement for Goldson that has a record of robustness as even if Balogun stays him, Helander and souttar all have regular injury issues.

If Calvin goes we need 2.
I’d like to see us give King much more game time but I think we need 5 CBs
Simpson is a definite goner, Sands for me is an option in that position.

Lowry will impact in a big way next season.

I’ve already said I think he’ll be better than Hagi by the end of next season if he really applies himself JMCK.

I’m saying something different, that the skill sets Aribo has given us, albeit inconsistently, won’t be replaced by Lowry. Physicality, versatility, ability at set pieces for example. We need to buy to replace these.

Can’t be the only one disagreeing with the 20m everyone is saying they’d accept? I’d want 30m before negotiations even started. The boy is 22 years old, fits the homegrown English rule, has played international football, has won the league, has played in a European finalist and won a domestic trophy. Some players don’t do that for the entirety of their career. Also worth mentioning that he’s still got 10 years of improving to do as well.
Yes I agree with you! £20mil would be the absolute minimum - only to be accepted in a scenario where there is only one club interested and they are sticking to their guns - in that scenario where it becomes clear to the club that we are simply not getting anymore, then I’m afraid that’s too much money for Rangers to turn down, even if we know he should be worth more.

However, truthfully I believe we should be looking for more like £25m+ to £30m for Bassey.

Maybe I’m wrong Ted, but he doesn’t look it.

He doesn’t look as if he has the same physique & he doesn’t look as if he yet has the same pace either.

I think Leon will be a really good player, but to walk into next season with him in Bassey’s position is a big big ask to me.
I agree, it won't be next season that he matches Bassey.

They're both about 6'1 just now, with Leon probably still growing. Nobody is as strong as Bassey, and top players don't need to be. For most, it would just slow them down. Bassey is a phenomenon that way.

Bassey will no doubt be a top class left back, but I think King will be a top centre half.

I fully expect them both to have at least 1 EPL winners medal and 1 Champions league medal in their careers.

I'll be gutted when we sell Bassey but I am resigned to the fact it is a nessecity if we are to fully adopt this "diet Moneyball - Ajax/Benfica" way of running our recruitment. We need to sell when players are at thier most sought after to get maximum market value.

Has consideration been made in terms of Johnly Yfeko, been reported to be very much in the mould of Bassey, could we see him do what Calvin did initially and act as an understudy for Borna(or replacement)?

I agree, it won't be next season that he matches Bassey.

They're both about 6'1 just now, with Leon probably still growing. Nobody is as strong as Bassey, and top players don't need to be. For most, it would just slow them down. Bassey is a phenomenon that way.

Bassey will no doubt be a top class left back, but I think King will be a top centre half.

I fully expect them both to have at least 1 EPL winners medal and 1 Champions league medal in their careers.

I’m just saying he’s 18 Ted, and to truly see him at Bassey levels he needs a bit of time.

I watch him & think there’s a very intelligent player who uses his body smartly too, but let’s not throw too much expectation on him too quickly.

Some of the stuff you guys are putting on here about Kent would make your eyes bleed. Jeezo.
It’s incredible.

There are some people who are in for a massive shock if we do lose Aribo and Kent this summer.

One thing is certain in my mind- the guys we bring in will not be anywhere near as good as them.

The old adage people don’t realise what they’ve got until it’s gone rings every true.

If they got £25 million for glass knees Tierney surely Bassey is worth much more.. younger, stronger, more powerful and will get better and better. I’d be angry to only get £20-£25 million for him.

If they got £25 million for glass knees Tierney surely Bassey is worth much more.. younger, stronger, more powerful and will get better and better. I’d be angry to only get £20-£25 million for him.

We should be looking for 25m i agree

Only argument with KT is that he had a stupid long deal think it was 5 years which usually determines the fee

I think Bassey being naturally fit should make up for the shorter contract?

Ross Stewart would be a great signing. Hopefully there is more to it than just enquiring.
Have you watched a lot of him? His record is good at that level and he's been called up to the Scotland squad but would he be a good signing for us?

As much as I'd love to be able to get a fee like that, I'd say it's beyond unlikely.

I actually think we would struggle to get offers of £20m in truth. The best we've had was about £16m for Morelos, and strikers always have a premium attached. The fact Fulham started with a bid of £3.5m says a lot - we don't get the truly big money up here. Even that lot didn't get what they hoped for when selling Dembele, Ajer or Edouard.

The Patterson fee was a bit of a steal, rather than the guideline, I reckon. I hope to be wrong, and if Bassey is to be sold it's for big money, but I don't think £30m is anywhere near possible.
Celtic got £25m for Tierney based on spl form, he's now worth far more.
Bassey not only done it domestically, he's been outstanding against top European sides and won a motm in a European final.
So why would not get near that fee?

Have you watched a lot of him? His record is good at that level and he's been called up to the Scotland squad but would he be a good signing for us?
He'd score loads for us in Scotland. Whether he's good enough for Europe is an entirely different matter. I'm sure we're keeping an eye on him

I wouldn’t turn my nose up at Ross Stewart as 3rd/4th choice striker. He’s deffo something different that at times we have lacked

Not sure why Ross Stewart would leave Sunderland where he's playing every week to play a bit part role here. Doubt we would pay the money required for that to happen either but would say he's more a Hibs/Hearts/Aberdeen level of player.

Celtic got £25m for Tierney based on spl form, he's now worth far more.
Bassey not only done it domestically, he's been outstanding against top European sides and won a motm in a European final.
So why would not get near that fee?
Had Tierney not also played well in the UCL and for Scotland? I think Bassey should go for the same money because of all his attributes but I wouldnt agree celtic got the 25m solely on the SPL form. Tierney is a phenomenal full back too.

Re discussion earlier on centre backs, if we lose Goldson and Bassey, we absolutely can’t go into next season with (to be a little unfair to them) crocks and back ups.
But if we get big bucks for bassey it could help bring in 2 starting quality centre backs( a new partnership at the heart of the defence) and a better option at left back than we have currently and help with bringing quality in other areas we won't just sell Bassey and add no extra money to Gios budget

As a club, I think we’d accept 20m and a decent sell-on clause.

I see where people are coming with the Tierney comparison but were it not for that, we’d all be delighted at making 20m profit on someone.

It’s the model we need to become accustomed to.

23 goals/assists is a very good return from Kent.

If the numbers were switched and it read 20 goals and 3 assists nobody would complain. Ultimately, the production is the same.

Would like to see his finishing improve which would further enhance those numbers, but that's really it, everything else he offers in and out of possession is excellent.
We need to put less pressure on Kent by signing a right sided attacker who is more of a goal threat.
Makes it much more difficult to double up on Kent and allow him more space.

Wright and Sakala have merit in certain domestic games but the likes of someone like Solbakken on the right side would make a huge difference.

There are some people who are in for a massive shock if we do lose Aribo and Kent this summer.

One thing is certain in my mind- the guys we bring in will not be anywhere near as good as them.
Why? If we receive good money for our players, our recruitment team should be able to go out there and find replacements. These aren't once in a generation, Gascoigne type talents. We can't be afraid to sell our players and replace them with new talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back