The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I genuinely don't know how you can watch Bruce Anderson and think he's anywhere near good enough to play for us. We have so many squad fillers we don't need anymore especially someone who has already played with better players at Aberdeen.

If he was any good then McInnes would have gave him a chance at Aberdeen but they were happy to let him go. Scoring goals wasn't an issue for us this season keeping them out at the other end was and that's what cost us the title.
Scoring goals did cost us.

Im not arguing specifically for Anderson but against the discounting of players because they are just SPL players.

There are plenty of players discarded by their initial parent club to go onto bigger things. McInnes was an awful manager so what he did or didnt do shouldnt be a measure for anything

We don't need any more home grown squad fillers (frankly, the last thing we need anyway is more squad players!) because you only need 4, we have...

Souttar
Jack
Arfield
Wright

The 4 club trained players is always our problem, currently only 1 out of 4 slots is filled next season with Robbie McCrorie.
U need 8 with 4 trained at club

You are officially trolling us and now yourself? With this nonsense….

You’re Bruce Anderson aren't you?

Oh no you caught me :))

Bruce Anderson actually has some great stats, he was the second most prolific player in the Scottish Premiership this season in terms of goals and assists per 90 minutes of football, he had 0.85 goals per assists per 90 minutes of football, only Furuhashi had better than him with 0.89.

The Scottish Premiership stats for goals plus assists minus penalties per 90 minutes:

Anderson - 0.85
Morelos - 0.81
Sakala - 0.73
Roofe - 0.63
Wright - 0.58
Kent - 0.42
Aribo - 0.40

We don't need any more home grown squad fillers (frankly, the last thing we need anyway is more squad players!) because you only need 4, we have...

Souttar
Jack
Arfield
Wright

The 4 club trained players is always our problem, currently only 1 out of 4 slots is filled next season with Robbie McCrorie.
We also included Kieran Wright for the group onwards this season in the squad.

Doesn’t make a difference if we include Lowry et al this coming season, we don’t need to as they can still be on the B-List. Right now we are looking at

17 non-homegrown

Arfield (NT)
Jack (NT)
Wright (NT)
Souttar (NT)
McCrorie (CT)

Giving us a squad of 22, think we only registered 23 this season at any given time due to McGregor and Kieran Wright.

Then we can supplement that with club trained players from the B-List, so if we have good players on that like King, Lowry and McKinnon then filling the HGQ for the A-List isn’t too much of an issue.

Last edited:
We have a sports science team who advise the manager what minutes players can play.

That doesn’t mean they pick the team though.

If its big game, and they say he’s 80% fit, he can certainly manage the game. We can’t lose this one. Your call Gio.

No im pointing out for proper player trading we have to find players who we can increase value and sell on and they will come from clubs and players others have dismissed because they fit our profile and have good stats.

We are no longer in the world of buying the best in England, Holland etc.

Dismissing players without looking at the underlying statistics is mental and to claim he wouldnt get a game in our B team is worse.

We have always had SPL standard strikers in every major run of success we have had. If we want to have consistency we need squad depth and fillers that can perform in our league to allow us to rest our main players for big games in league and europe. We have paid the price of constantly relying on the same few and hoping they play through form dips

Remind me what SPL standard striker we had on our run to the Europa League final? Or what cart horse we had as we absolutely romped to the title last season?

Are you suggesting had we had Livingstone's talisman up front we'd have won the Europa League or League Title this season?

I've got you sorted..
Screenshot-20220526-115708-Gmail.jpg
Bale contracted Zika virus there!?

Always is a lot of ifs and buts in football, 2 more players for the starting 11 - what if they are dross, what if it takes them months to settle and we have already f*cked trying to qualify for the CL

We could make even more European money next season quite quickly TBF

I would say there is enough evidence now to suggest the likes of Aribo would have a pretty good season next year, he would still be playing for a move and his next contract even if in the last year of his deal. A lot of teams would back away from the idea of signing him and cash if he was simply seen as a player who chucks it in that easy... if he helps a side make the CL and win a title..... £££ for him, I would expect that is the place Goldson has found himself in as a result of his season in the last year of his deal, its a regular thing in football now.

The recent accounts have a bit of an outlier in them as well - was the same with the trading model, it was always going to take time as we rebuilt to a stage of competitiveness.

I am not advocating letting all players run down their deals, but if the odd player comes and goes adds quality and we don't get the bumper fee expected, which is likely going to happen in this day and age, if they offer us max return in the time they are here, no issue with it
Again if we're just doing if's and buts - what if we don't make CL and don't win the league? We let a £10m player go with little to show for it? We can go round and round with what if's. However in the general context, I'd always take £10m+ (for a player like Kamara etc) going into last year of their contract than persevere with another gamble of a unrefreshed squad.

Again if we're just doing if's and buts - what if we don't make CL and don't win the league? We let a £10m player go with little to show for it? We can go round and round with what if's. However in the general context, I'd always take £10m+ (for a player like Kamara etc) going into last year of their contract than persevere with another gamble of a unrefreshed squad.

With the best part of 50 million likely coming in I would like to think it wouldn't be an unrefreshed squad TBH, would apply that even with 1 out each season for 10-20 million.

Who, in the name of Fck, is Bruce Anderson??

Sounds like a character from LA Law tv show in the 80s.
He scored a last minute equaliser against us at Pittodrie in Gerrard’s first league game. Had a good season this year, to be fair.

If Bruce Anderson was two years younger, he's absolutely a player I'd be taking a look at.

23 is a bit too old though. It's Scott Wright territory, and look at how long its' taken him to come good.

Fairly relaxed with potential sales.

Accepted Bassey is likely going, club record fee will be the cherry on top for that.

Aribo and Kamara maybe also. Good amount for Gio to reinvest.

His contacts in Holland, in Spain and even the Far East should ensure a very decent level coming into the side.
I'd like to see us tap into the Far East

Remind me what SPL standard striker we had on our run to the Europa League final? Or what cart horse we had as we absolutely romped to the title last season?

Are you suggesting had we had Livingstone's talisman up front we'd have won the Europa League or League Title this season?
We shat the league this year based on lack of available players.

Why would we be talking about SPL standard players and why would we be signing carthorses?

Go through every major successful era of Smith both era's, Advocaat and McLeish. All had great strikers and players who were only SPL standard to fill in.

The point is obviously not landing with you which is fine.

Last edited:
Bruce Anderson? Haha

The poster is correct that we need more homegrown players but would it not be better to have those slots filled by our young players rather than average SPFL players?

Lowry, King, Devine and McCann have all shown they are ready to play a part in the squad.

Hopefully we have a few behind them.

With the best part of 50 million likely coming in I would like to think it wouldn't be an unrefreshed squad TBH, would apply that even with 1 out each season for 10-20 million.

That money isn’t all for the transfer budget though? In any business it’s madness to let high value assets leave for nothing with no other sustained source of income i.e. like a EPL tv deal. Rangers rely heavily on 2 things 1) ticket sales 2) player sales. To gamble the possibility of not having a Euro run like last season on top of letting £10M+ players leave for fee would be Russian roulette for the board. IMO, take the good fees reported for the likes of Aribo and reinvest that in the starting XI across several positions.

That money isn’t all for the transfer budget though? In any business it’s madness to let high value assets leave for nothing with no other sustained source of income i.e. like a EPL tv deal. Rangers rely heavily on 2 things 1) ticket sales 2) player sales. To gamble the possibility of not having a Euro run like last season on top of letting £10M+ players leave for fee would be Russian roulette for the board. IMO, take the good fees reported for the likes of Aribo and reinvest that in the starting XI across several positions.

I didn't say it was all for transfer budget TBF.

I don't expect every Euro run to be like last year, I do expect us to regularly have at least a sellable asset there to be relied on to hinge us retaining players of banked quality.

If for instance, we sell Aribo for 10 million, and then add a couple of players for the starting 11 is that overly beneficial financially, two players wages coming into the team, relegates a current starter and their wage to the bench etc, that move is still sort of just hacking costs onto our budget TBF

Bruce Anderson? Haha

The poster is correct that we need more homegrown players but would it not be better to have those slots filled by our young players rather than average SPFL players?

Lowry, King, Devine and McCann have all shown they are ready to play a part in the squad.

Hopefully we have a few behind them.
As has been pointed out, we're actually at the stage now where we don't need more homegrown Scottish players from other clubs. Souttar, Arfield, Wright and Jack already fill the four European slots allocated to those players.

What we need are more homegrown players trained by Rangers. At the moment, we have McGregor (retired, we're assuming) and McCrorie. There's still three other slots there. King and Lowry don't have to be registered as they're too young.

So the type of players we need are players that were at Rangers until they were 18/19, then headed elsewhere and turned good. And the list of those players is very small. Craig Halkett? Graeme Shinnie? Ross McCrorie? Barrie McKay? The Injured Ghost of Lewis Macleod?

To be fair to the poster, Bruce Anderson has scored more than Ross Stewart before he got his move to Sunderland.

If you think Ross Stewart is shite too then fair enough B-)
Ross Stewart is not shite but would he be worth the transfer fee and his wages has been doubled with the Mackems getting promotion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back