The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kent is a brilliant player on his day but he just doesn’t score enough over the course of a season imo.
Yeah he doesn't there's no argument with that.

However the Europa League run doesn't happen without him so its really difficult to pick a side...

Beat two men to set up Lundstram vs Dortmund

Won a pen at home to Dortmund

Won a penalty home to Red Star

Scored away at Red Star

Assisted the first goal at home to Leipzig

Crossed the ball for the deciding goal vs Leipzig

Part of me is hoping villa being linked with bassey is nonsense as they have been linked with tarkowski and have signed the other cb so if he is going to them then it will be as a left back but would he play in front of digne who just signed for them

99% sure it is rubbish. Is there a Rangers player that hasn't been 'wanted' by Villa since Gerrard left?

As you say it makes little sense for them to want him so just be the trademark pish by media professionals who get paid to fabricate sh1te.

99% sure it is rubbish. Is there a Rangers player that hasn't been 'wanted' by Villa since Gerrard left?

As you say it makes little sense for them to want him so just be the trademark pish by media professionals who get paid to fabricate sh1te.
Agree with this mate, there’s a good chance he’ll go but I doubt it will be Villa. Top dollar if he does.

I’d love us to go out and get a exciting right forward, one who can come straight in with a goal threat every time he takes the pitch.

It would address a long term problem position and allow Hagi / Lowry / Aribo the central no. 10 role they are suited to.

If we could add in a Goldson replacement early too that would be great early business and see what develops in relation to sales or new contracts.

A couple of clever loans could also balance out any late sales in the window.

Bidding wars is just paper talk.
No such thing happens, not woth transfer fees anyway.
Teams will meet put valuation then bassey will decide.

It's the interpretation of "bidding war". We are all aware it doesn't work by auction, with the rival bidders physically driving up the price through increasing bids.

But multiple clubs being interested does put the selling club in a position of power.

Clubs know they need to be able to talk to the player to agree terms. To do that, they need to have a bid accepted. Therefore there is an advantage in being the first club to have said bid accepted.

This impatience to get the deal over the line before someone else does means bids become more frequent and more urgent. A single club bidding can be patient and wait for the selling club to decide the minimum price they could afford to lose a (potentially now unsettled) player for. When there are many clubs looking, the imperative is to be the first to have a bid accepted and get round the table with the player and his agent (getting the contract signed before others get there).

This naturally leads to bids that are designed to be too good to be refused.

Not a bidding war, but the price is driven up none the less when there is considerable interest in a player.

Yeah he doesn't there's no argument with that.

However the Europa League run doesn't happen without him so its really difficult to pick a side...

Beat two men to set up Lundstram vs Dortmund

Won a pen at home to Dortmund

Won a penalty home to Red Star

Scored away at Red Star

Assisted the first goal at home to Leipzig

Crossed the ball for the deciding goal vs Leipzig
This…people won’t realise what kent brings to the team until he’s gone unfortunately

It's the interpretation of "bidding war". We are all aware it doesn't work by auction, with the rival bidders physically driving up the price through increasing bids.

But multiple clubs being interested does put the selling club in a position of power.

Clubs know they need to be able to talk to the player to agree terms. To do that, they need to have a bid accepted. Therefore there is an advantage in being the first club to have said bid accepted.

This impatience to get the deal over the line before someone else does means bids become more frequent and more urgent. A single club bidding can be patient and wait for the selling club to decide the minimum price they could afford to lose a (potentially now unsettled) player for. When there are many clubs looking, the imperative is to be the first to have a bid accepted and get round the table with the player and his agent (getting the contract signed before others get there).

This naturally leads to bids that are designed to be too good to be refused.

Not a bidding war, but the price is driven up none the less when there is considerable interest in a player.
The modern day player is always in the position of power.
Times have changed

Celtic are about to bang out close to 7 million for a player who doesn't have that many more goals than that and didn't make a European team of the season.

The whole Kent doesn't do enough for a 7 million pound player thing is a bit of a myth TBH

Jota ?

Kent has 20 assists compared to Jota's 14.
Kent has 3 goals compared to Jota's 13.

Ryan Kent - 23 goal contributions in 45 games.

This is direct goal involvements and doesn't include secondary assists (which he has many of) and being brought down for penalties etc.

His goal record is very poor no getting away from that but when Kent leaves we are not bringing in a better player than him. If he added goals to his game he would be in one of the top leagues 100%.

Jota ?

He does need to add some more goals to
his game, assists numbers are strong though

The only thing holding Kent back is his appalling finishing.

Everything else is there, including the workrate.
They need to get him in over the summer and get him striking a ball properly. As you say everything else is in his locker.

Hurts my head that anyone would want to ‘lose’ Kent, utterly mental, or any of our other young excellent players like Kamara and Aribo, so strange. If we get great offers then yes, but you’d think they were at the arse end of their careers rather than not even close to their peak.
Kent more than the other two but I totally agree with you.
I just don’t get those who don’t rate Kent.

The only thing holding Kent back is his appalling finishing.

Everything else is there, including the workrate.
It’s composure, isn’t it.
The pressure he’s created for himself here because of his poor record.
I get the feeling it’ll come though.
Just like the striker who has hit a dry patch, it might be one or two then they’ll roll in.
Hope so anyway.

This is direct goal involvements and doesn't include secondary assists (which he has many of) and being brought down for penalties etc.

His goal record is very poor no getting away from that but when Kent leaves we are not bringing in a better player than him. If he added goals to his game he would be in one of the top leagues 100%.
It does include being brought down for penalties mate. 15 assists last season and 5 penalties won.

He's always done that, his work rate is exceptional, a total team player.

Can only think the people talking him and his contribution down, if they are Rangers fans and actually watch him, are some slices short of the full loaf.
I'm speaking specifically about him chasing attackers and tackling, which I can't remember doing as much as he has done of late, almost like Candeias in that particular aspect of his game; maybe it's just something I'm noticing more these days. I agree, the descriptions of him are so wide of the mark at times; and yes, he has always worked hard for the team.

Which seems to have really improved in the last few months; he tracks back a lot more these days.
I’d say that’s more because his role in the team has changed under Gio. He always worked hard but in Gerrard’s system he was asked to stay high and central and it was the left centre midfielder’s job to help the left back.

I’d say that’s more because his role in the team has changed under Gio. He always worked hard but in Gerrard’s system he was asked to stay high and central and it was the left centre midfielder’s job to help the left back.
I think that's it, and you've explained it better than I. For the record, I have never questioned Kent's workrate, but his tracking back seems a more defined feature of his game of late.

Phuck me going by this thread with the amount of players we are selling and the dross we are bringing in you'd think we are aiming for top 6 next season, think I'll avoid this for my mental health the next few weeks.

Jota ?

I think I’m right that penalties don’t count in assists, and Kent has been fouled for quite a few penalties this season, including in Europe.

Kent's assist numbers have never been good enough to cover his poor finishing, however, the assists he's racked up since the turn of the year is the level he needs to be hitting to justify that "key player" status that I've always been on the fence on.

Transfer market does include pens won, he won the penalty away to Hibs and St Johnstone, these things 100% should count as assists.

The penalty at Easter Road should count for about 5 assists TBH given how little actually happened in that game

People who judge players solely on numbers strike me that they would love a front 3 of Windass, Boyd and Candieas over Kent, Prso and Aribo - one of those front 3 would be a f*ck load better than the other.

Thats the Ronsealed, nail-on-head, hot-take.

Rangers were crippled with the constant unavailability of players throughout the season, or players under par as they were fast tracked into the team less than fit.

Thats before we even discuss whether the players were good enough, which the season evidences as not.

What concerned me, and its growing, is the Board are tempted into thinking Rangers just had an unlucky season and the players can come back and do better. We've seen Scotty Arf resigned when hes clearly no longer able to cut it as we need, now I anticipate McGregor, Davis, Balogun all being offered new deals.

Gio himself has worryingly mentioned wholesale changes not being required which is not only a worrying take on the requirements but baffling from a Manager essentially still operating with someone else's team/squad.

After 55 and the success wave Rangers had to build, Gerrard knew it and the Board blinked. Rangers paid a heavy price.

Some of the work is done for them with the ill-conceived loans ending but they have to cut loose the players who are past it and ditch the folly of 'hes ok as a squad player'.

This team and squad need rebuilding and improving, thats only happening with new players.
He's hardly going to come out and say that he needs a new team because the players aren't good enough is he? By now Gio will know fine well which players he wants to keep and which ones to move on this summer. He will also have a list of players which he wants to bring in to improve the squad to have a crack at Europe again whilst going for the league title.

Arfield signing for a year is no big deal. He's almost always available, gives 100% and I'm sure he's a good pro to have around the squad for the younger players. You need these type of players in and around the squad and it's going to be relatively low cost as well.

What's happening with Bazoer at Vitesse, any news on where he's going?
He wants to get recognition from the Dutch national team and make squads so I doubt we are the club that will get him in the national team probably end up in the bundesliga like Doekhi

Don't know if people realise that if Kent could finish and was more consistent he would be nowhere near us.

We aren't getting perfect players who can do everything playing in Scotland. Players we have will have some flaws - a bit boring to constantly point out the obvious while ignoring the amazing contributions guys like Kent make.
We want him to sign a new contract, and massively improve his finishing. We can then expect rumours of selling him for £25M+.

However, it's important we know soon his intentions on committing to a new contract. If he's not showing us that commitment then I can't see us getting anywhere close to the £25M due to the length of his contact, and not displaying to potential buyers good finishing qualities.

If you go back through the Regan Charles-Cook thread you have people on here wanting him to replace Kent because he's had a good season.

Kent's goalscoring record needs to improve he needs better numbers there but he brings so much to us. People point to Europe and say why can't he do that domestically but he wasn't being doubled or tripled upon (bar the final) and had space to play which made him so key in our run to Seville.

I’d love us to go out and get a exciting right forward, one who can come straight in with a goal threat every time he takes the pitch.

It would address a long term problem position and allow Hagi / Lowry / Aribo the central no. 10 role they are suited to.

That impact what we get from Tav?

Tav generally ends up in that area with Hagi or an Aribo going and doing a load of stuff at 10 and 8, they are very rarely hostage to the touchline, same with Kent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back