The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d generally agree with that sentiment if it was for any position other than keeper. To me a tried and tested epl goalie on circa 30k would be cracking business.
Rumour is Johnstone's heading back to Manchester United to be De Gea's back up. United want rid of Henderson and Newcastle are rumoured to be signing him. Meaning they'll need a back up goalie.

Balogun would be the only one of those i would keep but seeing as we already have six players that can play his position under contract for next season and could do with bringing in one more i don't see the need to keep him around.

We need a player like Ramsey in midfield, preferably someone ascending in their career instead of on the way down and not always on the treatment table but that creative midfielder who's also a goal threat is missing in our midfield. Veerman is always going to be a what if for us because he's exactly that kind of midfielder and has been brilliant for psv.

Balogun would be the only one of those i would keep but seeing as we already have six players that can play his position under contract for next season and could do with bringing in one more i don't see the need to keep him around.

We need a player like Ramsey in midfield, preferably someone ascending in their career instead of on the way down and not always on the treatment table but that creative midfielder who's also a goal threat is missing in our midfield. Veerman is always going to be a what if for us because he's exactly that kind of midfielder and has been brilliant for psv.
Who’s the 6 players in baloguns position?

Times has Gerrard 'stepping up the chase' for Bassey thanks to the big backing he's getting from the owners.

Make it £40 million Stevie Boy.

Naive on my part, but would Calvin want to go back to a manger where he got limited game time, when he's now with a manger who trusts him and has played a big role in him flourishing?

Not saying he won't go to PL, but with the likes of Bayern and Chelsea allegedly circling, is Stevie G that much of a pull for him?

If McGregor, Balogun, Davis all get extensions then really what is the strategy behind the scenes ?

We know McGregor other than shot stopping is near the end of his career great servant but come on.

Balogun isn't first choice and has always needed managed regularly picks up niggles and injuries.

Davis another great servant but you have to move on at some stage we need younger quality in midfield same as our squad options.

And we kept on Arfield which for me was a bonkers move.

A lot of wages there especially for squad players.

Lewis Ferguson will seemingly be the next Alan Smith. Too bad that the former is still that young and this might go on for another half-decade.

I would assume that Gio will plunder the Dutch, Belgium and similar European markets for talented players, aside from some faces familiar with the Scottish/British game.
I'll take you back further.
I'm sure Eion Jess was linked every summer when I was a kid.

How many new signings are you expecting?

Those players will still do a job for a few games a season and will be invaluable for their experience. One year deals make perfect sense.
Why shouldn't McCann get those few games that Davis will, King get those games Balogun will, or McCrorie getting McGregors game time? That will be far more valuable to us and them in the long run.

We have players with experience. It's not as if Tav, Jack, Lundstram, Barisic, Kent, Morelos, Arfield are youngsters with 10 games under their belt. If we really need mature players to guide the team, I'd rather sign ones who will properly make an impact, like how McGregor and Davis done a few years ago, they can't do that now.

Why shouldn't McCann get those few games that Davis will, King get those games Balogun will, or McCrorie getting McGregors game time? That will be far more valuable to us and them in the long run.

We have players with experience. It's not as if Tav, Jack, Lundstram, Barisic, Kent, Morelos, Arfield are youngsters with 10 games under their belt. If we really need mature players to guide the team, I'd rather sign ones who will properly make an impact, like how McGregor and Davis done a few years ago, they can't do that now.

Those players (McCann etc) will also get game time. I’m not saying we should keep all of them, I don’t think McGregor has another season tbh. Balogun definitely, maybe Davis and Arfield is already signed up for one more year.

I trust the management to know what they need.

Bassey Souttar Helander Sands King and Katic
Katic can’t be part of the solution and Sands will never be a CB for Rangers unless in a dire emergency. Helander and Souttar’s injury records are a worry. King should get more game time but is still not going to be a regular. Bassey is likely to be in massive demand (clearly I hope he signs a new deal, he’s immense). We will miss Goldson if that’s our options.

At least you didn’t mention Simpson!

If McGregor, Balogun, Davis all get extensions then really what is the strategy behind the scenes ?

We know McGregor other than shot stopping is near the end of his career great servant but come on.

Balogun isn't first choice and has always needed managed regularly picks up niggles and injuries.

Davis another great servant but you have to move on at some stage we need younger quality in midfield same as our squad options.

And we kept on Arfield which for me was a bonkers move.

A lot of wages there especially for squad players.
Possibly because, as a lot of us have said on here, it needs to be evolution and not revolution with our transfer business. The idea we were letting 12 or so players go and signing 12 new was always for the birds and would have absolutely wrecked our next season. If we assume Goldson is definitely away, and we’re likely to cash in on one or two other players then it makes perfect sense to keep the players with no sell on value who want cost us to much.

This thread the last few days with half our squad going and 6-7 new players in the starting 11 was football manager levels of reality and was never going to happen.

We still need a squad and it has to be filled with players. How large a squad do we need? 22, 25,30? SG said that it cannot be too big otherwise guys get unhgappy and grumpy because they aren't playing very much, if at all.

We can afford to carry a Helander and a Roofe as we have bodies to fill in when they get hurt. We can afford a McGregor as a back up and role reverse him with McLaughlin. Play Greegs in cup games. Davis and Arfield are both useful performers in their own right,just don't ask them or expect thyem to,play 50 games a year.

Gio has been here long enough and has watched and dealt with these guys long enough to know who he wants and who he doesn't. I think I will leave it up to him as he is above my pay grade.

Utter nonsense. He plays in a position that has to return a high amount of goals and assists every season. His shooting this season has been woeful.

You can't even say he is not getting into the right positions to shoot, he can have 4 or 5 shots a game and never come close to scoring.

We can and should be able to replace him with far more goals.
Our analytics people will look at stats though. Far more than you or any fan will.

I agree he’s not a great finisher, but that isn’t where stats start and end.

Our analytics people will look at stats though. Far more than you or any fan will.

I agree he’s not a great finisher, but that isn’t where stats start and end.
He plays in a position in our team that requires scoring goals, he doesn't score goals its that simple.

It's amazing all these players we can't replace have only won 2 trophies.

Utter nonsense. He plays in a position that has to return a high amount of goals and assists every season. His shooting this season has been woeful.

You can't even say he is not getting into the right positions to shoot, he can have 4 or 5 shots a game and never come close to scoring.

We can and should be able to replace him with far more goals.
his woeful finishing, has cost us in games this season, and his passing can be very casual, like the one to Scott Wright, I do not believe we can't get someone in in our price range with a better end product, and can also go by a man

He plays in a position in our team that requires scoring goals, he doesn't score goals its that simple.

It's amazing all these players we can't replace have only won 2 trophies.
Not saying we can’t replace him but you said look at his stats. The stats we and other clubs will look at are a lot more than goals and assists.

his woeful finishing, has cost us in games this season, and his passing can be very casual, like the one to Scott Wright, I do not believe we can't get someone in in our price range with a better end product, and can also go by a man
In his first season with us, Ryan Kent scored 6 goals and assisted 9. Fans adored him and he was our top priority signing.

This season, he has scored 3 and assisted 20, whilst also getting in the Europa team of the season. And people aren’t happy.

It’s fucking bonkers.

If Ryan Kent didn’t score a single goal all season, but he passed it to someone else 6 yards out every time he had a chance, and they scored each time; it seems people would still be upset. The end result is the same - Rangers score.

Also worth noting that his assist tally is almost double that of anyone at Celtic.

You might get someone in his place who scores more, but you’re taking away goals from teammates for it. What’s the point.

In his first season with us, Ryan Kent scored 6 goals and assisted 9. Fans adored him and he was our top priority signing.

This season, he has scored 3 and assisted 20, whilst also getting in the Europa team of the season. And people aren’t happy.

It’s fucking bonkers.

If Ryan Kent didn’t score a single goal all season, but he passed it to someone else 6 yards out every time he had a chance, and they scored each time; it seems people would still be upset. The end result is the same - Rangers score.

Also worth noting that his assist tally is almost double that of anyone at Celtic.

You might get someone in his place who scores more, but you’re taking away goals from teammates for it. What’s the point.
imagine how many more assits he would have had if his passing improved. I stand by what I posted, doessn't mean he's not a good player, but there's obvious weak points to his game, or is pointing that out a crime on here???

I'll take you back further.
I'm sure Eion Jess was linked every summer when I was a kid.
I'd be shocked if Gio didn't use his knowledge of the Dutch
Katic can’t be part of the solution and Sands will never be a CB for Rangers unless in a dire emergency. Helander and Souttar’s injury records are a worry. King should get more game time but is still not going to be a regular. Bassey is likely to be in massive demand (clearly I hope he signs a new deal, he’s immense). We will miss Goldson if that’s our options.

At least you didn’t mention Simpson!
We shouldn't contemplate going into a new season without at least a like-for-like replacement for Gpldson. As has been noted, the fragility of Helander and Souttar means that we can't always rely on them to be available when needed

imagine how many more assits he would have had if his passing improved. I stand by what I posted, doessn't mean he's not a good player, but there's obvious weak points to his game, or is pointing that out a crime on here???
Every player we have has weaknesses to their game.

A guy with even more assists and even more goals doesn’t spend 5 years in Scotland. I would prefer Kent for 5-7 years than a better version who leaves after a year.

He’s one of the best footballers we’ve had in over 20 years. I just think it’s a tad mental to start specifically expecting more from him, or picking flaws in his game. Ok he’s a poor finisher, but he makes up for it with many other talents. That can’t be said for a lot of our other players.

A guy with 20 assists and is a wide man in the Europa Team of the Season could learn to pass better? Time to reassess mate.

Last edited:
23 goals/assists is a very good return from Kent.

If the numbers were switched and it read 20 goals and 3 assists nobody would complain. Ultimately, the production is the same.

Would like to see his finishing improve which would further enhance those numbers, but that's really it, everything else he offers in and out of possession is excellent.

arguably this 1 of the most important summers of rangers history.
important/experienced players thinking about their future
our best players going into their last year
gio will want to bring in his own players

we are in a unique sitiuation where we are going through a re build after reaching the europa league final

where do all the Lewis Ferguson fans see him play ?

He’s distinctly average v us and then which are their main televised games
The very same point I keep making to my mate who is nearly jizzing in his frillies every time he talks about what a great signing Ferguson would be for us. I think he must be his agent.

Reactions: cav
Keeping McGregor, Balogun, Arfield and Davis would be a dreadful decision. We need the refresh the squad, we have needed it for a while now and this is our chance to do it.
Also, if we are keeping all four of them, I fear for our summer recruitment. Smells of much cheapness. Badly need younger options who can play 40-50 games a season at a good level.

Some of the stuff you guys are putting on here about Kent would make your eyes bleed. Jeezo.

Last edited:
Some of the shite you guys are putting on here about Kent would make your eyes bleed. Jeezo.
Kent’s had a decent season, and had some very good performances in Europe. That said, I wish he’d drive more into the box instead of all the crossing. Would keep him if he extends his contract. Otherwise we have to sell this summer and not lose him for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back