The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

True. McLaughlin, Balagun, Wright, Sakala, Sands, Roofe all have played a part. Diallo came good at the end. Ramsey was a gamble that never worked.

Bassey and Lundstram have been phenomenal signings

Gotta give credit
He was zero to do with Lundstram.

Gerrard pushed for that signing even though analysts were saying he didn't fit our model and style of play.

Over 2k posts and the season has been done 4 days. Take a bow lads. I'm still struggling to get over how bad a transfer window January was and there is over 2000 posts in this one already.
Another couple of days of crying myself to sleep thinking about last Wednesday before I can start reading who everyone has signed in football manager.

Our January track window was crap. Whether we were just skint, or were complacent, I don't know. But it cost us the league.
Surprising, as we had watched the wine grapes complacency during the 55 season. Fresh in the memory, what not to do. And we did it. Mental.
Nobody was complaining about it it come the end of the window hindsights a wonderful thing. Money doesn't guarantee success in the market at the end of the day we wouldn't be able to afford Diallo or Ramsey if we wanted to sign them permanently we took a financially sensible gamble sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't

It’s incredible.

There are some people who are in for a massive shock if we do lose Aribo and Kent this summer.

One thing is certain in my mind- the guys we bring in will not be anywhere near as good as them.

The old adage people don’t realise what they’ve got until it’s gone rings every true.
Absolutely spot on. People are so willing to split up a team that just got to a European final, we need additions but not wholesale changes

Absolutely spot on. People are so willing to split up a team that just got to a European final, we need additions but not wholesale changes

Unfortunately, the only way we are going to get new blood in of sufficient standard is to sell some of the existing squad.

We didn’t do this last summer and therefore barely spent a penny. That was the gamble to club took.

The squad needs a refresh so it’s a tricky balance.

Not really. The loans werent really what we needed.

We needed a striker and we got a winger.

We got a right back replacement for Patterson who hasnt been seen since Annan and no one knows if its injury/poor.

He was relaxed about a £5/6m asset walking out the door for free.

Also Bassey was found in a bounce game against us, not from Wilsons far reaching contacts.

He has had far more misses than hits

This part puzzles me.

Part of me thinks did we even need him with King, Balogun, Sands or Jack able to play right back?

But then I saw his girlfriend after the Scottish cup win and I am very grateful we signed him. :D

Unfortunately, the only way we are going to get new blood in of sufficient standard is to sell some of the existing squad.

We didn’t do this last summer and therefore barely spent a penny. That was the gamble to club took.

We just made the guts of 40 million so we’ll have money to spend i’d imagine

I actually think we would struggle to get offers of £20m in truth. The best we've had was about £16m for Morelos, and strikers always have a premium attached. The fact Fulham started with a bid of £3.5m says a lot - we don't get the truly big money up here. Even that lot didn't get what they hoped for when selling Dembele, Ajer or Edouard.

The Patterson fee was a bit of a steal, rather than the guideline, I reckon. I hope to be wrong, and if Bassey is to be sold it's for big money, but I don't think £30m is anywhere near possible.
I disagree tbh mate , Basseys age and attributes propel him to a higher potential . I don’t think £30m but I think we will ask for him to be highest ever Scottish transfer . Think of say Bayern for example they’ve already seen him v half the Bundesliga :D

If some of the stories regarding Goldson are true, particularly where Alan Hutton is quoted, then I wonder how negotiable it will be for the club to persuade him to say. In other words, is it possible for a middle ground to exist where both sides are happy to negotiate on?
I want Goldson moved on. I’m sure he’s been offered a decent deal. He’s never played as many games for any club like ours…always been backed even if he’s had a few big mistakes in games.

To be honest I’d be disappointed if we bent over backwards for him. He will never play another game in Europe if & when he leaves.

With CL football in horizon…& Goldson considering moving to Forest, WBA or whoever I don’t really want about the squad.

Honestly for the sake of CL qualifiers I just hope to wake up one day to see Goldson signing a new deal.

His level of consistency, fitness and leadership abilities is something that gives me the fear in terms of finding a suitable replacement for him. If we lose him, Davis and Greegsy in one summer that's a devastating loss of leaders from the dressing room.

That and Bassey signing a new deal on improved terms!

This part puzzles me.

Part of me thinks did we even need him with King, Balogun, Sands or Jack able to play right back?

But then I saw his girlfriend after the Scottish cup win and I am very grateful we signed him. :D

He replied to a fan on twitter saying he got injured, hence why he's not been in squads these past few months. Must have gotten injured when he went away with Poland's u21's in March.
Quite why the Club didn't bother saying anything will always be a mystery to me. It leads to unfair speculation and mischief making from some quarters.

Ask yourself the question - who did better in the 2 recent transfer windows ourselves or the bheasts?
Ask yourself the question - If we had spent well over 20m, like they did, and they had spent next to nothing like we did. Who do you think would have had the better windows?

Team that can outspend their rivals by a hefty amount coming out on top shocker.

the scotsman has us linked with Mateo Cassierra, Colombian striker ex ajax, 25year old scored 14 goals in 26 appearances for Russian Premier League runners-up FC Sochi

Shades of Sadiq going by his YouTube

He’ll get destroyed by the Ibrox crowd :))

Wilson should have been out of Ibrox a lon time ago.

Really, why?

Every part of our football department is doing well, from the woman's team, to every level of the youths and the first team. We just got to a European final with a side put together on a relative pittance.

What is it you're sacking him for?

2 loans that never worked out but on paper looked clever moves, especially Ramsey who 99% of fans were over the moon with?

You won't give him credit for Bassey, saying that's down to the right coaching, who puts the coaches in place?

Really unfair, has he got everything right? Of course not, every signing won't be perfect in the pond we fish in, and we need to address the contracts situations of key players, however the squad we have on the budget we operate with is pretty decent.

Last edited:
He was zero to do with Lundstram.

Gerrard pushed for that signing even though analysts were saying he didn't fit our model and style of play.

The analysts were correct.

He didn’t fit our style of play under Gerrards 4-3-3. He looked lost at the beginning of the season, didn’t know when to drop into RB (like Jack did) and cover Tav. This impacted Tavs early season form as well.

He’s a perfect fit for Gio’s 4-2-3-1 in the double pivot and has played arguably his best games as the RCB in a back 3.

Gio made him (and Bassey) the players we see today.

I want Goldson moved on. I’m sure he’s been offered a decent deal. He’s never played as many games for any club like ours…always been backed even if he’s had a few big mistakes in games.

To be honest I’d be disappointed if we bent over backwards for him. He will never play another game in Europe if & when he leaves.

With CL football in horizon…& Goldson considering moving to Forest, WBA or whoever I don’t really want about the squad.
He'll never play for a better club, and perhaps he knows that deep down.

I think SG is going to come in with big bids for Bassey and Aribo. Not read all the thread sorry if been said before.

I hope Gio has some solid transfer targets as we’re going to need them imo.

This team just punched about a few big hitters so going to be plenty sniffing about.

It’s incredible.

There are some people who are in for a massive shock if we do lose Aribo and Kent this summer.

One thing is certain in my mind- the guys we bring in will not be anywhere near as good as them.

The old adage people don’t realise what they’ve got until it’s gone rings every true.
Apparently if we sell Kent, there's a ready made replacement 'out there' just ready to do what he does, perhaps more, no problem.

Hasn’t the home grown rule hurt us a bit in Europe in recent seasons where we haven’t been able to have the strongest squads we could have because we had too many foreign players?

I’m wouldn’t be surprised to see us sign some better quality Scottish guys even if it’s from other SPFL teams. Are there any guys who fall,into that category that would improve the squad?

Honestly for the sake of CL qualifiers I just hope to wake up one day to see Goldson signing a new deal.

His level of consistency, fitness and leadership abilities is something that gives me the fear in terms of finding a suitable replacement for him. If we lose him, Davis and Greegsy in one summer that's a devastating loss of leaders from the dressing room.

That and Bassey signing a new deal on improved terms!
I agree, but we have our limits. Where I'm not optimistic about him staying is that we may have slightly exceeded those limits already in what we have had to offer him; in other words, I think the club has already tried its best to keep him here.

replacing goldson with souttar is crazy and i hope we still get someone else in of higher quality when goldson leaves

goldsons hardly missed any games his years at the club and souttar is injured more often then not

dunno how you can compare the 2

then you through in helander who seems to be made of glass and leon balagon whos not much better

we sure have a steady defense need season instead of chopping and changing it
I just meant with Goldson leaving we have an excellent (albeit not as good player) coming in in Souttar alongside a settled Bassey who can keep him right. With the number of quality back ups if he is injured then it wouldn’t be a part of the park that worried me, and I suspect we knew Goldson was off hence us signing the deal for Souttar. If Bassey goes then we have no settled defence and I would be hugely concerned as even if we spent all the money on a replacement he would still take time to get up to speed! We need at least one quality centre back who’s been with us a while and if Bassey is going we should be pushing the boat out for Goldson to stay. We can get by with losing one because of how good the other is, and the quality of Souttar and our backup. We are screwed if we lose both

If Itten goes we need another 2.
Won’t be easy getting them in if they know they will like be third choice. Perfect scenario for me would be a young hungry guy who won’t be expected to play every week but is ready to break through, and a dependable striker at the end of his career looking for a final move.

Mate he found the money to pay a fecking crock that played a couple of hours in 5 months.
A utter disgraceful signing when we were desperate for a forward and a centre back.
To be fair we don’t know how much that cost. May have been peanuts for someone of his experience and calibre. Without knowing the ins and outs of the deal we can’t blame him.

Doesn't work out like that. He gets critisised for players that don't work out but gets no credit when they do.

Also when he doesn't sign players and spend money thats all his fault rather than board decision or taking into account our losses last year.

End of Jan 99% of fans were happy with loan signings
Let’s face it, some on FF won’t be happy this summer if we aren’t spending £40m and bringing Ronaldo to the club for a year!

I fully agree with this. And I think at least two players should be sold for a big profit for funding a couple of qualify additions who can instantly improve our team. But many on here are calling for us selling half the team, including the likes of Barisic, Alfie, even letting Hellander and Roofe go for next to nothing!

Hasn’t the home grown rule hurt us a bit in Europe in recent seasons where we haven’t been able to have the strongest squads we could have because we had too many foreign players?

I’m wouldn’t be surprised to see us sign some better quality Scottish guys even if it’s from other SPFL teams. Are there any guys who fall,into that category that would improve the squad?
I don’t know if that Aberdeen boy Lewis Ferguson has been mentioned on here?

*slowly gets coat and leaves

Not really excited by any of the more substantial rumours I've seen lately to be honest.

Thought we'd be shopping in better places now that we have a bit more cash.

We haven't had any proper rumours yet, no point being disappointed by made up nonsense on here.

But Wilson deserves to be bashed. His failure to perform due diligence in the loan signings of Dialo and especially Ramsey, IMO cost us the league and the Europa Cup. Imagine the difference that would have been made had Gio been given two really effective loan signings who had game-changing capability instead of a half fit player along with another lacking completely in big-match experience.
Be interested to read your posts at the time we signed both. Hindsight is wonderful mate, didn't see too many complaining when we signed a 40 million player from man u and arron Ramsey who's played at the top of the game. It was individual and collective errors that cost us in both cups not Ross Wilson. We can't change the past, only whats in front of us and I trust the club to get it right this window and bring the league home next season

Ask yourself the question - If we had spent well over 20m, like they did, and they had spent next to nothing like we did. Who do you think would have had the better windows?

Team that can outspend their rivals by a hefty amount coming out on top shocker.
The crash barriers gambled £20m in the hope they could double it by automatically qualifying for CL. It worked.
We speculated nothing on getting to the CL. And we didn't.
I have no clue as to their financial position, but we didn't have to spend anywhere near £20m. A quarter of that would have done us well imo.

If you are happy with the guy's performance there's not much I can say. Bassey's recent development has more to do with coaching than foresight by Wilson. Ask yourself the question - who did better in the 2 recent transfer windows ourselves or the bheasts?
Beasts spent £25m we didn’t have that to spend.
What don’t you understand, you need to have money before you can spend it hence the loans, whether they were the correct ones I would say no but comparing us to them over this period is unfair on our staff.

My biggest worry is that once again we will gamble to get into the Champions League and not sign anyone. I’ve already seen that lot in the East End linked to multiple players . We need to get players in early. Have we learned nothing over the years.

My biggest worry is that once again we will gamble to get into the Champions League and not sign anyone. I’ve already seen that lot in the East End linked to multiple players . We need to get players in early. Have we learned nothing over the years.
The season finished about 5 days ago chill out, players and staff will most likely be on holiday.

This time last year we had to wait to see about CL qualification due to having little cash flow. After our fantastic run in the EL we now how 'CL' funds due to said run . We will buy players mate

I’m talking about in general terms. The board gambled Champions league last summer. I simply don’t want the same thing to happen again. There’s absolutely no excuses this time.
I agree, there are no excuses. But we simply need to sign players this window. And we will. Gio will want to build his own side.

Not really. The loans werent really what we needed.

We needed a striker and we got a winger.

We got a right back replacement for Patterson who hasnt been seen since Annan and no one knows if its injury/poor.

He was relaxed about a £5/6m asset walking out the door for free.

Also Bassey was found in a bounce game against us, not from Wilsons far reaching contacts.

He has had far more misses than hits

You have no idea what his parameters were from Gio or the allowances from the board.

you simply can’t make the statements you have there because they are you opinions. The bounce game could have been organised to look at a number of players whilst gaining fitness.

If Wilson was relaxed about Goldson leaving was that because he knew he had offered all he was able to? People in leadership roles shouldn’t be getting flustered when an outcome doesn’t fall their way. They simply have to re-evaluate and provide a new solution at the next available window. Should he have done and interview chewing his nails and looking jittery?

Baystate above says Ramsey should have been looked over by a doctor. I’m assuming our medical should cover that? It was Wilson’s job to get the identified players here, if possible, based on funds and players desire and it’s our medical teams responsibility to make a judgement on their ability to fulfil their participation.

Its weird that each director of football we’ve had seems to be poorly thought of…. Almost like they are being judged on a criteria that’s different from their role..

Are some just all a bit Rangers Da when it comes to the contract thing with players, do we really need to sell every player for instance.

If in theory we punt Bassey for close to 25 million, is it then possible to carry for instance a Goldson or Aribo leaving on a free if they give what those players have during their contract.

What was worth more to us as a club long term a fee of say 8 million for Goldson last season, or the season we had

I would expect we see players simply stay for the duration of their contract without us getting a fee quite often TBH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back