The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dress it up how you like but this transfer window is becoming a real worry. We have 3 first 11 starters and key men out of contract in 12months, we appear to have no sort of budget in which to buy new players and have taken to resigning our aged players instead of refreshing the squad.

The Kent, Aribo & Morelos situations need addressed. They either sign new deals or they leave. The worry is the longer it goes on in this window the less likely it will be that we are able to bring in new players & the less likely we will receive bids that meet our valuation.

We have a major hurdle in terms of Champs League qualification looming and you would have thought we’d want business done early to help in that.

The capabilities of Ross Wilson are seriously in question for me now. He has major players and sellable assets with diminishing value who could walk for free in 12months, he is unable presumably to get them to sign new deals &/or is unable to sell for acceptable fees. We cannot operate a player trading model in those circumstances. He may be ‘comfortable’ with the situation but it worries me.

This transfer window is feeling a lot like last summer. We are in danger of standing still.
How exactly is it Wilson’s fault if players don’t want to sign a new contract or we don’t receive bids for players/ the player doesn’t want to move to that club? The players have all the power in this situation and we can’t break our wage structure by tens of thousands if this is what they are wanting. Just look at the players out of contract at other clubs, Ridiger and Christensen were offered numerous contracts which they rejected then moved on for huge deals as free agents. Same with Pogba who Man U paid £70odd million for and Dembele at Barca. These teams have much more money to offer mega wages and have much more pull but are losing their players for nothing.

You mention the CL qualifiers, but if these players have made it clear they are seeing out their contracts then we already have a squad that’s capable for getting through these ties and we are looking to get more in like Colak

On Aribo can’t understand the flap some are getting into over the release clause. If that is what Aribo’s team wanted in the contract and we were happy then that is that.

Remember we paid a minimal fee to Charlton. That is total profit. More then they made on Eduard.

We have benefitted from the pleasure of Aribo and made a profit. That is good business.

This thread is full of utterly amazing comments. Some posters just haven’t a clue. What is important here is the long term stability of the club. Nothing is more important.

I guess part of the problem is that we could do our business now and get player A,B and C on the cheap, or we can wait until we sell and use the money to get player D, E and F.
Players D, E and F are better, but we can't afford them right now.
Probably right but I think the big killer is wages we have a lot of centre backs on the books we need to get rid of 2/3 to trim the wage bill but it also works the other way if we want to spend a decent amount on the player they will generally want the wage to match

How exactly is it Wilson’s fault if players don’t want to sign a new contract or we don’t receive bids for players/ the player doesn’t want to move to that club? The players have all the power in this situation and we can’t break our wage structure by tens of thousands if this is what they are wanting. Just look at the players out of contract at other clubs, Ridiger and Christensen were offered numerous contracts which they rejected then moved on for huge deals as free agents. Same with Pogba who Man U paid £70odd million for and Dembele at Barca. These teams have much more money to offer mega wages and have much more pull but are losing their players for nothing.

You mention the CL qualifiers, but if these players have made it clear they are seeing out their contracts then we already have a squad that’s capable for getting through these ties and we are looking to get more in like Colak
Surely it’s Wilson’s remit to implement the player trading model, no? We haven’t sold a single player in his time which has allowed for us to profit and reinvest. Supposedly it was Gerrard who prevented in the past, now it’s player power.

I get it’s a major challenge but we have all seen the finances & its Champions League & Player trading that are going to enable an enduring business model for us. Having 3 of our most prized assets potentially walking for free in 12months is a major problem. He need sold if we can’t renew their deals.

The team did fantastic getting to Seville but let’s not forget how tricky these qualifiers are. Currently we are going with Roofe as only fit striker. Getting Colak done and integrated would be a boost to the squad before then. But that’s looking like it could drag on.

All about opinions but if as a club your business model is dependent on selling players at profit you have to have people in who can actually manage it. Wilson’s record for me in terms of recruitment & sales is questionable.

On Aribo can’t understand the flap some are getting into over the release clause. If that is what Aribo’s team wanted in the contract and we were happy then that is that.

Remember we paid a minimal fee to Charlton. That is total profit. More then they made on Eduard.

We have benefitted from the pleasure of Aribo and made a profit. That is good business.

This thread is full of utterly amazing comments. Some posters just haven’t a clue. What is important here is the long term stability of the club. Nothing is more important.
We are like this because of the heights he's reached with us.

Leaving with a Scottish Cup and title 55 medal was entirely predictable but a runners up medal in the second biggest European competition, whilst also scoring the goal in that final is something no one would've predicted.

Saying that, 10 million is great for a player we didn't pay that much for from a lower league English team.

Shows there is talent there when scouted correctly.

Surely it’s Wilson’s remit to implement the player trading model, no? We haven’t sold a single player in his time which has allowed for us to profit and reinvest. Supposedly it was Gerrard who prevented in the past, now it’s player power.

I get it’s a major challenge but we have all seen the finances & its Champions League & Player trading that are going to enable an enduring business model for us. Having 3 of our most prized assets potentially walking for free in 12months is a major problem. He need sold if we can’t renew their deals.

The team did fantastic getting to Seville but let’s not forget how tricky these qualifiers are. Currently we are going with Roofe as only fit striker. Getting Colak done and integrated would be a boost to the squad before then. But that’s looking like it could drag on.

All about opinions but if as a club your business model is dependent on selling players at profit you have to have people in who can actually manage it. Wilson’s record for me in terms of recruitment & sales is questionable.
I didn’t say it wasn’t his job to do player trading and I hope that we get the fees we are looking for, for the 3 players or they extend their contracts. But as I said the blame can’t be placed on him if they players want to see out their contracts. He has got a record fee in for Patterson got our money back on players who haven’t made it with us like Itten and Grezda. In January he did an excellent deal to bring Ramsey in although that didn’t work out on the park. But I’m sure 99% of Rangers fans were happy/ excited when we got that deal sorted.

My main worry is we aren’t addressing shortfalls in the team. Goalkeeping wise McGregor shouldn’t have been retained and a younger number 1 brought in. Midfield we need someone who can score goals, likewise in right wing.

We are an injury to Tav away from a major problem as no one is capable of posting those goals and assists numbers.

10 million up front on his last year isn't the worst imo. OK we could've get more but it's still decent for outlay. At least it wasn't in there to be activated sooner.

I get it’s a challenge but we have all seen the finances & its Champions League & Player trading that are going to enable an enduring business model for us. Having 3 of our most prized assets potentially walking for free in 12months is
Biggest issue in football just now is players running down their contract, then signing on at another club for better wages than they would have got if they were bought for 10m, makes sense for the players to do that but its not good for us. Would make sense to re sign morelos kent aribo etc and put in a reasonable release clause so we can almost guarantee a fee.

Aribo has already demonstrated he’s happy to run down a contract. And subsequently done very well out of his move to Rangers. Reportedly a £300k fee but by the time the player and his Agent got their ‘inducements’ it cost us circa £2m. So it would need to be a big carrot. The only ‘stick’ would be not playing him - and that hurts us as well.

I‘m not suggesting because he’s done it once he will do it again. Simply highlighting that it’s not the 70s anymore and it’s the player that has the power.
The option not to play him would hurt him more than us as we absolutely do have other options in that position, so if he takes that stance then the stick approach would need to be used as a persuader!!

The option not to play him would hurt him more than us as we absolutely do have other options in that position, so if he takes that stance then the stick approach would need to be used as a persuader!!
That’s easy to say now just like it’s easy to say we need to start more of the younger players. But as soon as we drop points in a league game or lose the CL qualifier all the fans, especially on here will be shouting that we need to play our best players.

Dress it up how you like but this transfer window is becoming a real worry. We have 3 first 11 starters and key men out of contract in 12months, we appear to have no sort of budget in which to buy new players and have taken to resigning our aged players instead of refreshing the squad.

The Kent, Aribo & Morelos situations need addressed. They either sign new deals or they leave. The worry is the longer it goes on in this window the less likely it will be that we are able to bring in new players & the less likely we will receive bids that meet our valuation.

We have a major hurdle in terms of Champs League qualification looming and you would have thought we’d want business done early to help in that.

The capabilities of Ross Wilson are seriously in question for me now. He has major players and sellable assets with diminishing value who could walk for free in 12months, he is unable presumably to get them to sign new deals &/or is unable to sell for acceptable fees. We cannot operate a player trading model in those circumstances. He may be ‘comfortable’ with the situation but it worries me.

This transfer window is feeling a lot like last summer. We are in danger of standing still.

Its slightly too soon to start panicking but for a side that made it to a major European final a matter of weeks ago our business has been a worry!

If the board are happy to go with what we have for the second year in a row with CL qualifiers then we will ultimately fall short again.

We have IMO 3 areas of the team that needs addressed and so far the only transfer sniff has been on a Cedric Itten replacement who might not even be allowed to come...Coupled with the contract renewals of the old guard it is a genuine concern what our long term plans are or what they can be given the finances.

We need to rip the plaster off and sell one of our assets and kick start this succession planning that Wilson keeps banging on about. Our three highest valued assets are out of contract next season and if there is no sign of renewals then we must sell, simple as that.

Its slightly too soon to start panicking but for a side that made it to a major European final a matter of weeks ago our business has been a worry!

If the board are happy to go with what we have for the second year in a row with CL qualifiers then we will ultimately fall short again.

We have IMO 3 areas of the team that needs addressed and so far the only transfer sniff has been on a Cedric Itten replacement who might not even be allowed to come...Coupled with the contract renewals of the old guard it is a genuine concern what our long term plans are or what they can be given the finances.

We need to rip the plaster off and sell one of our assets and kick start this succession planning that Wilson keeps banging on about. Our three highest valued assets are out of contract next season and if there is no sign of renewals then we must sell, simple as that.
That’s my point, I’m not panicking but it is worrying and this summer seems to be on trend with last summer. There seems to be no long term strategy as well and like you say areas of weakness are not being sorted window after window.

Hopefully the worry is unfounded but it isn’t looking great at this moment in time

Might not be popular but we should also be looking to move on Bassey as I doubt his value will increase any higher.

He had a great end to the season but his sale could be transformational to the team

So what you're say is, there is no player trading model; not one implemented by the previous manager, nor the DOF? Seeing how rewarding last season was, and how close it was to being even more so, I'm delighted to hear it.

Might not be popular but we should also be looking to move on Bassey as I doubt his value will increase any higher.

He had a great end to the season but his sale could be transformational to the team
Not before we play those 2 CL qualifying rounds- we’ll need to be at the top of our game for that if we want any chance of going through.

It's the same from most clubs wait until nearer the end of the window to get the best prices and when more players become available. I wouldn't panic yet.

I think whether they sign new contracts or leave will come down to whether we qualify for the champions league. Qualify and they sign new deals with buyout clauses and they probably leave next summer. Don’t qualify and they go before the window closes this summer.

Lazio owner used to have them, had to sell when they got promoted so will have decent investment. Pretty sure they fired money at Ribery as well so they must be fairly rich and sold as a stepping stone to the big boys
Strange move considering the teams he was linked with.
Had a look at their squad there, paid £6m for a Brazil U20 Ederson which is insane when you think you can’t compete with a tiny club like that. They also have a Norwegian contingent there!
As well as our former loaner Coulibaly
Def a strange move

Like others have said, if we sell aribo, Kent or Morelos we can reinvest in better players. However, there's a chance they are waiting til after the champions league qualifiers to sell them or for the players to sign an extension.

Keeping them for the qualifiers makes sense, although getting new players in now would be ideal. Not an easy decision to make given what is at stake.

I expected the club to have the funds to make one big signing for four to five million that would get us the goal scoring midfielder or right wing we have needed for a few seasons now but anyone thinking it would be a busy summer before sales were getting their hopes up for nothing. Ross Wilson seems to be getting the brunt of the blame from the support but there's plenty to go around dating back to the season we won the league unbeaten.

Hard to sell players if no one bids for them
Not a Ross Wilson hater but it is a big part of his role to drum up interest in players we want to move on. That we aren’t getting bids for seriously talented players is a failure in that regard.

If he hasn’t been drumming up interest because we don’t want to move players on but the players in question are moving into the last year of their deal with no contract extension on the horizon, that is madness IMO. A lot of ifs in there though.

My main worry is we aren’t addressing shortfalls in the team. Goalkeeping wise McGregor shouldn’t have been retained and a younger number 1 brought in. Midfield we need someone who can score goals, likewise in right wing.

We are an injury to Tav away from a major problem as no one is capable of posting those goals and assists numbers.
100% The alarm bells were ringing when we resigned Arfield and Davis. McGregor confounded it. Clearly we need a big sale to stimulate some activity.

Not before we play those 2 CL qualifying rounds- we’ll need to be at the top of our game for that if we want any chance of going through.
I dont think Bassey playing is the key to us qualifying or not qualifying.

His transfer fee could be the key to us improving the starting eleven which could take us through.

Ultimately there will always be an excuse to keep players until just after qualifiers/get to christmas/finish the season and qualify for the CL.

We need to maximise his value for us

Not a Ross Wilson hater but it is a big part of his role to drum up interest in players we want to move on. That we aren’t getting bids for seriously talented players is a failure in that regard.

If he hasn’t been drumming up interest because we don’t want to move players on but the players in question are moving into the last year of their deal with no contract extension on the horizon, that is madness IMO. A lot of ifs in there though.

Unless a player wants to move and has made it clear to his agent and the club, ‘drumming up’ interest in players is a dangerous game if you want a happy squad.

Obviously that dynamic changes if the player is in their last year, they’d have to accept that the club may want to move them on. I’m not convinced Kent and Morelos want away and they will sign new deals, I think Aribo will go though.

So could his presence in the starting eleven.
Not really as he has already been in the team and had a fantastic last three/four months but we would have snapped someones arm off for £5m in January.

If we can get £20/25m for his this window I cant see that increasing, if anything a greater risk of it reducing.

The main player we want to sell this summer is Aribo, speculation alone suggests Fulham, Forrest, Palace and Southampton are all interested.

I believe we are actively trying to agree new deals for Morelos and Kent. If we sell either of those two, the replacements will simply not be at the same level

I think whether they sign new contracts or leave will come down to whether we qualify for the champions league. Qualify and they sign new deals with buyout clauses and they probably leave next summer. Don’t qualify and they go before the window closes this summer.

Do they though ? Sign a new deal and leave next summer I mean.

These aren't players in their early 20's. Kent, Aribo and Alfie will be 27 next year.

Do we seriously think anyone is paying big money for a 27 year old in the Scottish Premiership ?

If there is a "player trading model" that guarantees more revenue than what we have received in our European exploits in the last few years, and the accomplishments of the on the park that went with it I'm all for it; it must be something

The main player we want to sell this summer is Aribo, speculation alone suggests Fulham, Forrest, Palace and Southampton are all interested.

I believe we are actively trying to agree new deals for Morelos and Kent. If we sell either of those two, the replacements will simply not be at the same level
They may not have the same attributes or playing style (there arent many buffs in this world) but we could find players equally as affective and bring in the same stats/better stats to the team.

These aren't players in their early 20's. Kent, Aribo and Alfie will be 27 next year.

Do we seriously think anyone is paying big money for a 27 year old in the Scottish Premiership ?
Always thought Kent was younger for some reason.

I guess it depends on how they perform in Europe this coming season. Also depends on what you think is big money. I think £10m for any 1 of them is big money. If any of the 3 have a brilliant season you could be looking at upwards of £15m for any one of them which would be huge.

Last edited:
I dont think Bassey playing is the key to us qualifying or not qualifying.

His transfer fee could be the key to us improving the starting eleven which could take us through.

Ultimately there will always be an excuse to keep players until just after qualifiers/get to christmas/finish the season and qualify for the CL.

We need to maximise his value for us
For me his value will never be higher than this summer. I will be very surprised if no 1 bids for him.

Far to early to be panicking imho
Definitely.

I will admit I'm a wee bit surprised at the lack of activity solely based on us having a new manager and it being his first summer transfer window. Generally he'd want his own team right from the word go.

We probably have a very small budget (i.e what we're trying to sign Colak with) but relying on one or 2 big sales to let Gio spend more.

So what you're say is, there is no player trading model; not one implemented by the previous manager, nor the DOF? Seeing how rewarding last season was, and how close it was to being even more so, I'm delighted to hear it.
And you think we can repeat it this season with same players? Or next season if 3 major players walk out the door for nothing? What about winning titles? We didn’t manage it with these players last season. (& in case asked i wouldn’t have swapped the Europa run for the title)

Think the point is being lost in terms of long term strategy and planning. Even with the run we had to Seville, even getting money for Patterson & Gerrard et al, there is seemingly no money to strengthen the squad. We cannot continue operating on director loans.

There are deficiencies in the squad which we aren’t addressing & we need improvement. Think there is an assumption that as the players got to Seville they will easily negotiate the Champs league qualifiers. I don’t subscribe to that. We have one striker at the minute in Roofe with Morelos not fit & can’t get the Colak deal concluded.

Not sure why it’s not ok to be questioning our transfer business in this window thus far and our ability to put a long term strategy in place. I am getting increasingly worried & I am not convinced by Wilson. Hope to be proved wrong.

Maybe. Maybe not.

They would probably pay the same for 26 year old with 1 left on his contract, as they would a 27 year old with 3 years on his contract.

So maybe we just sign them up?

This !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back