The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not entirely true, though, given the amount they spent each Summer.

In three transfer windows Lennon spent 32m (according to the Daily Record) and Rodgers made 23 signings during his time. That's a lot of money and comings-and-goings.

Yes, it brought them a lot of domestic success but not the title they craved. Within 3 years of Gerrard, we had gone further in Europe than they had for nearly two decades. We went even further last season.
Youre being a bit kind saying his point "isnt entirely true". It is in fact total and utter pish.

Is he just a target for Leeds do you think?
New Leeds manager plays with inverted wingers which kent can play

That said all of leeds transfer work so far - has been for players Jesse Marsch has worked with perviously especially in Austria and Germany -

As I’ve said though, the idea is that you get them in the door, pump their value and sell them within 12-24 months.

A riskier strategy, but if the scouting team have done their homework, it should be a calculated risk.

We’re arguably already running the risk of going a bit stagnant, so we need to get the player model the board have mooted up and running sooner rather than later.

You'll never build a decent team with that playing model.

One of the reasons our team were so successful in Europe last season, was the understanding and trust that's been built within our squad.

No chance we'll be adopting your ideal.

Nah not yet still early in the window and the squad we have at the moment is too big. Going to have to start moving the non contributors out and then decisions need to be made on the likes of Helander but until someone goes from out our best 11 I'm struggling to see where we can strengthen other than the right wing.

Souttar in so far suspect Colak will be next and then we can see business happening both ways before the season starts.
Can always improve I feel we could improve in midfield by getting a midfielder who can weigh in with goals. GK ?

He's still only 28 and you're going on about him tuning 30.
To be fair I said he'll be 30 next year which is true. I'm just slightly uneasy at signing players who aren't 20 to 26 as the older they are the more chance past injuries and miles on their legs will catch up. I'm sure he'll thrive here though.

Ano mate but am not talkimg about £350 a week. Someone says to me you can sign a deal for 40k a week for 3years or i can sign a 3 year deal on 30k a week and i can score 40 goals and get a move and get the club 20million and i get 6million i know what im signing
But there's no guarantee you score the 40 goals you mention, no guarantee the club get a 20 million pound bid and no guarantee you don't get a career ending injury and that's your future money down the drain. The sensible option is to take the extra 10 grand a week, hope you do well and get a big move down the line.

Okay, so it’s becoming abundantly clear that we don’t have a lot of money and after Colak, it will likely be a case of selling before we can buy. Could it simply be a case of us using the income received (Patterson, Gerrard, Europa run etc) to repay the loans to directors in full? Surely this would actually be a positive thing and leave us debt free - I reckon most supporters would be on board with this!?

Couple of transfers that have stood out to me so far this summer:

Taiwo Awoniyi at Union. Signed for 6.5 mil, and then sold for 17 mil. We were actually linked with him initially (perhaps a bit too rich at that time). They've just replaced him a lad from Young Boys for 6 mil. That's a healthy profit, and they'll probably get one more in.

I'm not sure why we weren't looking at Scott Twine at MK Dons. Off to Burnley for 4 million. If we sold Aribo for 10 million and paid that for him (with an admittedly decent wage), you're still looking at us posting a tidy profit - let's say a minimum of 4 million after wages.

We need to kick start this model and really get it going. I'm at the point I'm more desperate for us to sell a big player to invest in the team than just chug along as we have been doing.

One of the reasons our team were so successful in Europe last season, was the understanding and trust that's been built within our squad.

Scott Arfield in his most recent interview stated "The players love one another, trust built up over years and as a result they will run that bit harder and go to the max for each other!"

Enough said!

Okay, so it’s becoming abundantly clear that we don’t have a lot of money and after Colak, it will likely be a case of selling before we can buy. Could it simply be a case of us using the income received (Patterson, Gerrard, Europa run etc) to repay the loans to directors in full? Surely this would actually be a positive thing and leave us debt free - I reckon most supporters would be on board with this!?
I think we're waiting to see if we qualify for the CL before we pull the trigger on anything bigger. But you make a good point though.

I thought we were debt free?
I thought the directors put money in and transferred it into equity.
Anyway, if there were loans that needed to be repaid then that is certainly a good thing.
Clearly, the club will sell in the summer and funds will be available.
Maybe we really need to know who is leaving and who is staying before we replace them?

It’s literally the model the board have said we’re going to adopt. It’s not my ideal, it’s theirs, they’ve just not put it into practice, largely because Gerrard didn’t want to sell.

Bodo, Ajax and Midtjylland have all had success whilst selling their best players each year.

If we don’t do it, we’ll end up falling behind. A Europa league final appearance hasn’t been enough to give us a significant transfer pot, and we’re not going to do that every year. There’s no money in Scottish football, so player sales are the only way to generate the income we need for success.

Can always improve I feel we could improve in midfield by getting a midfielder who can weigh in with goals. GK ?

We can always improve but the best 11 we can put out is a very good one and wouldn't be cheap to replace what we already have. I don't think he will be here come the end of the window but I think played further forward in the 10 position Aribo could be that player for us. I think the rest of our business all comes down to who leaves from the 11 so the likes of Kent Aribo or Alfie for example and then they will be replaced like for like.

Suspect a GK will be the plan for this time next year.

If Morelos has been offered a new deal and a wage ceiling has been reached with him then we can't break that for another player can we? How does that play in negotiations with Morelos?
Pretty sure AM has had a few significant rises, he will be in no doubt of what’s on offer, contract length maybe the key. Alfredo has given good service if he goes for a fee, good stuff, but we couldn’t really complain if he left.

Ive got to laugh at how you flippantly mention "a couple of 100k" as if its pennies
For the size of club we are and the revenue we generate from 50k fans every second week as well as buying every bit of merch going then I don’t think 100k should be a stumbling block in deals especially for one that you can argue is at the low end of the transfer market as a whole.

It’s literally the model the board have said we’re going to adopt. It’s not my ideal, it’s theirs, they’ve just not put it into practice, largely because Gerrard didn’t want to sell.

Bodo, Ajax and Midtjylland have all had success whilst selling their best players each year.

If we don’t do it, we’ll end up falling behind. A Europa league final appearance hasn’t been enough to give us a significant transfer pot, and we’re not going to do that every year. There’s no money in Scottish football, so player sales are the only way to generate the income we need for success.

The thing is though we're not falling behind, quite the opposite in fact.

Our consistency in Europe is outstanding, as the fact we've got the fastest growing coefficient in Europe proves.

We're on a completely different level to sides like Bodo and Midtjyland.

The time to start trading is now but not in the way you discussed, in my view.

Ideally we sign a couple of these types of players, such as Botheim for example (know nothing of the guy but his name is floating about ) and A N Other.

However where we should be working is Aribo goes this year, Kent next, Kamara next Morelos then Bassey and Botheim etc (Obviously depending on contract extensions and suitable bids and other for illustrative purposes only)

Over this period we are signing one or 2 other of these types each season to be able see 2/3 years down the line.

To sign the like of Botheim with the sole intention of selling in 12/24 months will see us having to focus on the same position season upon season.

We've built up a squad, now is the time to sell one asset and bring replacements in without wholesale changes each season.

That's not to say our whole model is set up this way. There will always be place for older, more experienced players in the squad.

Scott Arfield in his most recent interview stated "The players love one another, trust built up over years and as a result they will run that bit harder and go to the max for each other!"

Enough said!

Selling one or two players doesn't necessarily mean ripping up the blueprint or destroying the squad harmony. It's true they're a close bunch, but clubs do this every season. We've lost hugely popular guys like Defoe and even Katic over the years, yet still the squad moves on. Someone like Roofe is a huge presence right now, and he came in fairly late.

Klopp is an absolute master of it. Sold a real team leader in Gini Winjanaldum, yet brought in the likes of Diaz and Konte who were adopted by the group and really freshened the place up.

I think there's a bit of a tension between fans who want a complete revolution and others who are terrified of losing guys they've become accustomed to over the years. There's a middle ground.

This summer was the perfect time to go that wee further for me. Replace 2, even 3 big personalties, but still have that core there. As it stands, we're in this weird limbo situation where it's hard to tell where Gerrard's team ends and Gio's begins.

Last edited:
I’ll be honest and say there’s something bothering me about a European finalist who also brought in massive fees for their players/staff (Patterson & Gerrard) and we are supposedly haggling over a couple of 100k for Colak with the large part of that fee being made up from another outgoing in Itten. Then there are the renewed contracts for many players who I believe should have been let go and thanked for their service.

People can jump on this post and say it’s only June but we are back in preseason this week, full squad back next week I think too with our only new signing being a pre-contract from January. Our biggest run of games is round the corner and failing to get Champions League football as a result of not investing isn’t good enough for me.
Could it be that we don’t need to sell before we buy but are waiting to see who we sell before we buy?
If we have say 2 major sales we can buy say 3 strong recruits. No point buying a couple average players now if there’s the possibility they will just warm the bench as their is no point spunking a lot of money on a striker if Alfie stays!

The club's budget for this summer is not likely an arbitrary number or figure. It'll be as and when we need to spend, we'll spend. Clearly we've prioritised a striker for now. Given Itten has left, Alfie is recovering and Roofe is always a risk of an injury.

RW should be next, or so you would think. Then I think the rest will be dependent on sales. Given the fact the likes of Aribo, Kamara and Lundstram will be among our highest earners. I don't think a midfielder comes in until we sell.

Who we sell is anyone's guess, rumoured interest in Aribo atm but wouldn't be shocked to lose Kamara or Kent either.

as a result of Bodø selling most of their top talent their domestic form has now began to nose dive.

They’ve had a poor start to the league, but early days. Still 2 titles in a row where they absolutely blew everyone out the water most weeks. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them there or thereabouts come the end of the season.

All from a team from a place the size of Cumbernauld, it shouldn’t be remotely possible, so there must be something in what they’re doing.

If Patterson meets all his add-ons. He will have been sold for the same amount our team that played in the Europa league final cost us to put together.

Dont rush good players out the door mate. By the logic ive described above, we already are player trading.

Its not. Its not as mental as it was in England, but far from dead.

I'll bet the mentally challengeds don't have an issue selling when they need to.
Couldn't sell Dembele, Edouard or Julien when they wanted to.

Can't shift Barkas either.

They are just much better at managing the narrative.

FOUR Euro clubs are keen to beat Rangers to sign Antonio Colak.

SunSport understands the PAOK striker is a target for Copenhagen, Panathinaikos, Real Mallorca and his former club Malmo as the race for the £2.5million-rated Croatian international, 28, hots up.

But it’s understood the Light Blues remain favourites with the frontman clear Ibrox is his favoured destination if a deal can be agreed with the Greeks.

We don’t need to sell the full team each season. We can sell 1 maybe 2 one season, bring in replacements and then do the same again the next year. Players like Tav, Goldson, Davis, Arfield etc will not be sold in the player trade model so will have the core of the team still there. The new guys who are brought in will become part of the team and buy into it. Just look at Lundstram, he only joined last year but can see he’s fully committed to the team.

So you can easily keep the team working together and do player trading.

The time to start trading is now but not in the way you discussed, in my view.

Ideally we sign a couple of these types of players, such as Botheim for example (know nothing of the guy but his name is floating about ) and A N Other.

However where we should be working is Aribo goes this year, Kent next, Kamara next Morelos then Bassey and Botheim etc (Obviously depending on contract extensions and suitable bids and other for illustrative purposes only)

Over this period we are signing one or 2 other of these types each season to be able see 2/3 years down the line.

To sign the like of Botheim with the sole intention of selling in 12/24 months will see us having to focus on the same position season upon season.

We've built up a squad, now is the time to sell one asset and bring replacements in without wholesale changes each season.

That's not to say our whole model is set up this way. There will always be place for older, more experienced players in the squad.

I don’t think we’re a million miles apart from how we view things.

I’m not suggesting we sign 5 Botheim level players one year, and sell them all the following year and start again.

But ideally it should be a relatively regular turnover of buying cheap and selling high. Within that should still be 5 or 6 “star” players in the team at any one time, and as you say supplemented with experience.

Add in promising youth players hopefully coming through regularly, it should create a sustainable model for the club to generate the income we need to continue to compete.

I think we’ve messed up by not selling some of our top players last summer in order to keep Gerrard happy. It’s left us a bit stuck between two places between this summer and next.

FOUR Euro clubs are keen to beat Rangers to sign Antonio Colak.

SunSport understands the PAOK striker is a target for Copenhagen, Panathinaikos, Real Mallorca and his former club Malmo as the race for the £2.5million-rated Croatian international, 28, hots up.

But it’s understood the Light Blues remain favourites with the frontman clear Ibrox is his favoured destination if a deal can be agreed with the Greeks.
It can happen when you approach a transfer in the way we have with Colak.

We don’t need to sell the full team each season. We can sell 1 maybe 2 one season, bring in replacements and then do the same again the next year. Players like Tav, Goldson, Davis, Arfield etc will not be sold in the player trade model so will have the core of the team still there. The new guys who are brought in will become part of the team and buy into it. Just look at Lundstram, he only joined last year but can see he’s fully committed to the team.

Bang on the money.

And Patterson was the first. Being a homegrown player, the profit was even larger and, thankfully, we didn't sell him last Summer at the initial interest gaining a larger fee.

I’ll be honest and say there’s something bothering me about a European finalist who also brought in massive fees for their players/staff (Patterson & Gerrard) and we are supposedly haggling over a couple of 100k for Colak with the large part of that fee being made up from another outgoing in Itten. Then there are the renewed contracts for many players who I believe should have been let go and thanked for their service.

People can jump on this post and say it’s only June but we are back in preseason this week, full squad back next week I think too with our only new signing being a pre-contract from January. Our biggest run of games is round the corner and failing to get Champions League football as a result of not investing isn’t good enough for me.
I actually don't mean this to be argumentative or dismissive of your concerns.

But you, along with many others pedal this out about the European run, the Patterson sale..

We are not, & have not been in a good financial position for years. Double digit years. Literally.

One record breaking season for turnover doesn't make that all go away. It helps, but it's not a magic wand.

There no fairytale investor waiting in the wings either.

Yes we all want signings & yes we would like to see something soon. Hopefully it will.

The 'it's not good enough' narrative though, with all due respect, makes you come across like a spoiled wane.

If we only signed colak/similar if paok are playing funny buggers and don't get the three guys on a year left tied down but haven't sold them.... How would everyone feel about going into the CL qualifiers and start of the season with what we've got?

Every time I jump into this thread it just confirms not a lot of people know how transfers work.

Omg Solbakken (sp?) for 800k, do it now Rangers!!

800k to Bodo, plus millions signing on fee and a wage well out our league.

Genuinely clueless. He would be going for 6/7/8m+ if he wasn’t in the last 6 months. Believe it or not that money will end up in his pocket rather than Bodo’s.

The thing is though we're not falling behind, quite the opposite in fact.

Our consistency in Europe is outstanding, as the fact we've got the fastest growing coefficient in Europe proves.

We're on a completely different level to sides like Bodo and Midtjyland.

We’re stale from a player trading perspective though. It looks like we’ve just about broken even with a Europa final appearance. On the basis we won’t do that every year, we need to sell.

We could be going into next summer losing 3 of our biggest assets for nothing, and that’s not something we can afford to happen.

I’m not talking about Bodo or Midtjylland in terms of levels, I’d expect to beat both sides, but relative to how the operate in their perspective leagues, they punch well above their weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back