The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Dotty_84

The point I think I made earlier though was that waiting until we reach the CL before splashing out on that sort of player may end up being an exercise in futility.

Last summer I could understand it because we hadn’t made any sales and the board would have already been aware of the projected losses they were expecting to make.

This summer is a bit different when we’ve raked in almost £30m from sales on the back of a similar amount from our European run.

If we’re not going to splash out big on one or two players of real quality with that sort of money coming in, are we ever?
Probably not in the clear yet mate, we've had a very good 2 transfer windows regarding fees in but maybe there is too much risk and we still need a good guarantee of funds. I think even if we fail to make CL we should bring in a high calibre players be it CM or GK.

Bluethruandthru

While it might be tempting to see if we could get a player of Gilmour’s ability in on loan, is he actually the sort of midfielder we need?

Had we let Davis ride off in the sunset the answer would probably be yes, but we didn’t so bringing in Gilmour to effectively perform the same function in the squad almost instantly makes handing the Ulsterman another year kind of redundant.

It’s why I don’t think the Gilmour thing will happen, and in all honesty I still feel it’s a more advanced player of quality we should be looking to add in there rather than another defensive one.
What price a young Steven Davis?

That's what I think when I consider Billy Gilmore in our jersey. He has a bit to go obviously to reach that level but absolutely has all the attributes required to fill that role.

wd1872

Pretty sure we’d need to get rid of some first but it’s clear that we still need -

- Top quality number 1 GK
- Box to box, tough tackling, dynamic, creative number 8 midfielder
- Maybe a quality loan striker

Morelos & Kent new deals.

Tuesdays nights game is worth an additional £7m (parachute payment, sold out Ibrox & TV) even if we don’t get by PSV or Monaco - massive match.

So you want an Ngolo Kante/de Bruyne hybrid? I'm pretty sure those types do not grow on trees.

HandsomeHead

Probably not in the clear yet mate, we've had a very good 2 transfer windows regarding fees in but maybe there is too much risk and we still need a good guarantee of funds. I think even if we fail to make CL we should bring in a high calibre players be it CM or GK.
I get all that, I get that we’re probably being financially prudent and thinking about the medium to long term picture, which is correct, but at the same time, if we fail to qualify for the CL and then lose the title to the Yahoos once again, the knives will be out and inevitably fans will ask why we didn’t add greater quality when we had the chance.

Speculate to accumulate. Isn’t that what they say?

HandsomeHead

That's what I think when I consider Billy Gilmore in our jersey. He has a bit to go obviously to reach that level but absolutely has all the attributes required to fill that role.
Sure he does, but if you’re the board and Gio is coming to you saying, “I’d like us to try and push the boat out for Billy Gilmour”, you’re going to be asking why we’ve just handed Steven Davis another year’s contract.

You’re also probably going to be asking who of the current bloated midfield roster we have are going to be sold to make room for him.

Grigo Yossarian

Agree mate but I don’t think you can have enough keep the ball midfielders for europe especially. But even if we get Gilmore we should be buying a dynamic box to box CAM and a GK as total priority before the window slams shit on us.

I’m not disagreeing Bluebeard.

I want a player of quality, who can make passes, make runs, and do the dirty side in terms of tracking runners & making tackles.

For something like 5m, we should really be expecting that.

I do accept it would be conditional on 2 or 3 out, including fees. Eg Niko, Simpson, Helander out ?

Kirkhillbear

Heard on that go radio football thing.. if we progress to play off its 5 million in the bank? Hopefully if true can help us get that cm we are crying out for.
We've brought a fortune in from last season, sold out season tickets and brought in close to 45 million in transfer fees in the last year, we shouldn't need to be relying on that 5 million quid you refer to, if it's what the manager needs within reason he should be allowed to spend that.

CalebBrodie

We've brought a fortune in from last season, sold out season tickets and brought in close to 45 million in transfer fees in the last year, we shouldn't need to be relying on that 5 million quid you refer to, if it's what the manager needs within reason he should be allowed to spend that.
True mate and I thought that with europa run gerrard compo everything but then a few pointed out the last 10 years and why we won't go hell for leather... it was said there would be no signings unless of outgoings ? So I believe if kamara went we would invest. That 5m from the play off could be invested without an outgoing is what I'm trying to get at

cuecard1872

This is going to go on all season. GvB will eventually bring McGregor back in and he too will make mistakes.

Ridiculous situation to be in.
Fear you are right. McLaughlin will make a mistake at a shot and fans will say, "McGregor would have saved that" and then McGregor will make a howler with a set piece/cross etc and it will be "McLaughlin would have came for that ball"

Not an ideal situation but I just don't see us bringing in another keeper this window with 3 already on the books.

Kirkhillbear

True mate and I thought that with europa run gerrard compo everything but then a few pointed out the last 10 years and why we won't go hell for leather... it was said there would be no signings unless of outgoings ? So I believe if kamara went we would invest. That 5m from the play off could be invested without an outgoing is what I'm trying to get at
I wasn't having a dig at you mate.

I am just kinda fed up hearing this we need to sell someone else or the look at what happened 10 years ago stuff.
Bottom line of it is, we weren't bringing in.that kind of money all those years ago and I don't think it's unreasonable given the money brought in to expect the manager to be allowed to spend say 5 million on a top forward thinking midfield player that goes straight into the team and improves the 11.
It's actually mental that we have only basically spent 50k on any midfield addition in 4 and a half years.

Kirkhillbear

Fear you are right. McLaughlin will make a mistake at a shot and fans will say, "McGregor would have saved that" and then McGregor will make a howler with a set piece/cross etc and it will be "McLaughlin would have came for that ball"

Not an ideal situation but I just don't see us bringing in another keeper this window with 3 already on the books.
McLaughlin will be fine, the fans need to get behind him and give the guy a fair crack.

Arlo

I am just kinda fed up hearing this we need to sell someone else or the look at what happened 10 years ago stuff.
Bottom line of it is, we weren't bringing in.that kind of money all those years ago and I don't think it's unreasonable given the money brought in to expect the manager to be allowed to spend say 5 million on a top forward thinking midfield player that goes straight into the team and improves the 11.
It's actually mental that we have only basically spent 50k on any midfield addition in 4 and a half years.
Does Gio want another forward thinking midfielder? He has signed Tillman and Lawrence for that role as well as having Hagi to come back.

Bluethruandthru

Sure he does, but if you’re the board and Gio is coming to you saying, “I’d like us to try and push the boat out for Billy Gilmour”, you’re going to be asking why we’ve just handed Steven Davis another year’s contract.

You’re also probably going to be asking who of the current bloated midfield roster we have are going to be sold to make room for him.
I absolutely get the already crowded midfield argument but Gilmore is one who could perform in that position for years for Rangers and save us a lot of money long term.

Like I said, I see him and think young Steven Davis. How we could benefit from another 10 years of that.

HandsomeHead

I absolutely get the already crowded midfield argument but Gilmore is one who could perform in that position for years for Rangers and save us a lot of money long term.

Like I said, I see him and think young Steven Davis. How we could benefit from another 10 years of that.
Absolutely, but 1) I don’t think we should be trying to meet his likely wage demands, 2) I suspect Gilmour will be more partial to other EPL offers anyway, and 3) I actually doubt the club have any intention making a move for him.

In short, I highly doubt it’s going to happen, but don’t disagree that he’d be an excellent signing.

Bluethruandthru

Absolutely, but 1) I don’t think we should be trying to meet his likely wage demands, 2) I suspect Gilmour will be more partial to other EPL offers anyway, and 3) I actually doubt the club have any intention making a move for him.

In short, I highly doubt it’s going to happen, but don’t disagree that he’d be an excellent signing.
Yep, much though I wish it were different, I can't see it happening either unfortunately.

Carlos Danger

Wasn’t Tillman bought as a dynamic midfielder?? He should be in there instead of Jack or Kamara,playing Lundstrum and those 2 together is rather negative in my opinion.

Gazza 8

Official Ticketer
Wasn’t Tillman bought as a dynamic midfielder?? He should be in there instead of Jack or Kamara,playing Lundstrum and those 2 together is rather negative in my opinion.
The problem is no-one knows where Tilimans best position is.. including Tiliman.

Hes too young and inexperienced to know.

The boys played about 6 first team games in his career.

HandsomeHead

I think Tillman is a progressive no.10, a sort of attacking midfielder / come additional attacker.

I think he and Lawrence are good additions and absolutely what we’ve been crying out for for a few years, but against both Livi and the Belgians there was too much of a gap between the defensive trio of Jack, Kamara and Lundstram and the nominal attacking players in front of them.

It very much felt that there needed to be someone in between to link the two.

Kirkhillbear

Miss the quality Hagi brings, I knew at the time we would miss him even if it was an option off the bench.
For me Hagi isn't a starter.
Hagi was very poor before he picked up his injury, was tried as the 10 in a few of the games when gio took over and wasn't offering enough, he was usually shifted wide mid game to see if it changed anything and still wasn't doing enough.
His biggest issue is he wants too much time on the ball and is slow.

Sandbear

Does anyone think there is any truth in the football insider stuff about us being interested in Cambridge Utd goalkeeper Mitov?
I have seen a bit of him as I watch Cambridge a few times a season and while he is a very good shot stopper and comes well for crosses his distribution is awful.
I would think it’s pish and normal fling shite at a wall and hope some sticks from the site but maybe not.

D4RN-L

Does Gio want another forward thinking midfielder? He has signed Tillman and Lawrence for that role

Id rathe see JL as the holder/destroyer and Lowry given some freedom

cooprfc

Controversial opinion but Davis was a better player than Gilmour and will have the better career when Gilmour is done.

The CL medal is nice but he didn't really contribute to that.

BillStruthsGreenhouse

Controversial opinion but Davis was a better player than Gilmour and will have the better career when Gilmour is done.

The CL medal is nice but he didn't really contribute to that.

Not really controversial, and I agree with you. Steven Davis has played to a very high consistent level over a number of years. He made a difference to the teams he played for down south, even when they did not have their strongest squads. Same with his international career. When he came back to Ibrox he in many ways made the difference again.

Only time will tell if Gilmour has a better career, but he has not shown a level of consistency in his own game recently when he has had a chance.

WATP

Yeh today has me convinced now if I wasn’t already, we need a new and convincing No1. I’m surprised we didn’t try and get Kasper Schmeical in the door….rumours it was a small fee that was accepted.

A Class Above

Yeh today has me convinced now if I wasn’t already, we need a new and convincing No1. I’m surprised we didn’t try and get Kasper Schmeical in the door….rumours it was a small fee that was accepted.
I don’t understand this way of thinking….because he made one bad pass the whole game? I’ve been quite happy with his distribution generally since he’s signed. Think the whole back line got a bit sloppy yesterday.

Arlo

Do you know where Malik Tillman plays? You know the boy who's gone straight into the team and has been one of the shining lights so far of our new signings? He's improved the 11?

Jmacca1975

Official Ticketer

Kamara £50k
Aribo was quoted as £250k