The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im saying he may have said it, when he was told it was true. Then a shareholder we owe money to has asked to be repaid?

Can i just remind you of Dave Kings interview when he talked about "front-loading" money. Im sure, and i paraphrase because i genuinely cant remember the figure, but he said it would be cost circa £50M to make us competitive and it would be front-loaded, ie, there would come a point where its time to pay the piper. Maybe its come. Maybe 55 was the price to pay and we all chose to pay it.

I dont have all the answers mate. Weve literally just got to July. Im just saying theres so much to consider that it seems people forget the initial outlay people paid so we could win the title that mattered.

I wont be happy with Gio not being backed. Hes done so well, but maybe theres more to consider, that not fair?
Great post

Im saying he may have said it, when he was told it was true. Then a shareholder we owe money to has asked to be repaid?

Can i just remind you of Dave Kings interview when he talked about "front-loading" money. Im sure, and i paraphrase because i genuinely cant remember the figure, but he said it would be cost circa £50M to make us competitive and it would be front-loaded, ie, there would come a point where its time to pay the piper. Maybe its come. Maybe 55 was the price to pay and we all chose to pay it.

I dont have all the answers mate. Weve literally just got to July. Im just saying theres so much to consider that it seems people forget the initial outlay people paid so we could win the title that mattered.

I wont be happy with Gio not being backed. Hes done so well, but maybe theres more to consider, that not fair?

Weren't most of the loans debt for equity so they would not need to be paid back as such?

Things may have changed over the last 12-18 months but taking out money now at the expense of strengthening the team is short term thinking as it makes it less likely the club will be successful in Europe in the coming years which is where the club needs to be in order to have financial sustainability.

Buying a quality RW and Striker for say £3m each to make £30m in the UCL seems like less of a risk then doing nothing and failing to get that money.

Some interesting thoughts shared on Twitter here concerning what might be causing us to be moving a little more tentatively than we (fans) might like:

Bearing in mind this is Andy McGowan from H&H who tends to speak a lot of sense, rather than some regular Twitter crank.

The board may be limited in what they can do unless we significantly increase t/o by making a big sale.

Some interesting thoughts shared on Twitter here concerning what might be causing us to be moving a little more tentatively than we (fans) might like:

Bearing in mind this is Andy McGowan from H&H who tends to speak a lot of sense, rather than some regular Twitter crank.

The board may be limited in what they can do unless we significantly increase t/o by making a big sale.
Read that one last night (my time anyways) and feel like all these rules do is further widen the gap they claim they want to close.

That all sounds like those at the top will only continue to get further away from us.

If you have read and analysed the accounts then you would make a bit more a reasonable expectation of funds available to be spent.

Or do you want more loans from directs with interest or ask directors to dip in further?

We obviously have money to spend.

The absolute drivel that not spending big in the first few weeks in the window is somehow accepting 9 years of also rans is quite an achievment for this thread.
Do we?
My reading of the accounts is there is no cash. However the board made the statement that player sales cash would be reinvested in the playing squad. That’s a fact not an opinion.
If these guys don’t or won’t ‘invest‘ in the team then maybe they’ve done their bit and it’s time to move on. To whom or how isn’t up to a mere fan.
The teams that spend the most win trophies again fact not opinion (Leicester type wins are generational in leagues).
My point they’ve stated one thing and are now feeding the media with a very different narrative.

Are we not using the Itten money to bring in Colak?

The Patterson money in part will have been used to pay back loans and plug the £7m funding gap.
There’s another thing the board stated that they would not seek loan payback but would convert to equity in the club in other words shares so if the Patterson cash has been used to repay then there’s another contradiction and another false statement. Pattern here?
To see what’s really happening we’d need to see management accounts and the run of the banking - sadly we can’t see either so have to go with annual accounts and the statements the board make.

Last edited:
There’s another thing the board stated that they would not seek loan payback but would convert to equity in the club in other words shares so if the Patterson cash has been used to repay then there’s another contradiction and another false statement. Pattern here?
There was a limit to how much debt for equity that could actually be done, I remember this specifically being spoken about at one of the recent AGMs.

We currently have loans with interest from Dave King, and another from other investors (can’t remember who), it not only costs money to service these loans but it needs paid back.

And that’s before we get into how much we will have to pay Ashley for the Sports Direct debacle.

There was a limit to how much debt for equity that could actually be done, I remember this specifically being spoken about at one of the recent AGMs.

We currently have loans with interest from Dave King, and another from other investors (can’t remember who), it not only costs money to service these loans but it needs paid back.

And that’s before we get into how much we will have to pay Ashley for the Sports Direct debacle.
I have a feeling the Australia fiasco will cost us as well.

Do we?
My reading of the accounts is there is no cash. However the board made the statement that player sales cash would be reinvested in the playing squad. That’s a fact not an opinion.
If these guys don’t or won’t ‘invest‘ in the team then maybe they’ve done their bit and it’s time to move on. To whom or how isn’t up to a mere fan.
The teams that spend the most win trophies again fact not opinion (Leicester type wins are generational in leagues).
My point they’ve stated one thing and are now feeding the media with a very different narrative.
We must have, I can't see POAK accepting ginger bottles for Colak . Think that would be a factual statement

Do we?
How do you arrive at that assumption if you claim you have read the accounts?

We had a £7m funding gap for last season and a £400k funding gap for this season.

We received £4m for Gerrard, £9m upfront for Patterson, exceeded commercial revenue target, europa league run and sold Itten

Why the nonsense we dont have money to spend and somehow blaming the board for it?

To see what’s really happening we’d need to see management accounts and the run of the banking - sadly we can’t see either so have to go with annual accounts and the statements the board make.
Where are you coming away with this guff from?

Especially if you claim you have read the accounts.

There is a £5.25m loan in there

He must think we have a provident loan that isnt a loan but is the boards fault
Only pattern here is absolute mince , must be one of those tiktok accountants

I don’t see the need for three centre backs domestically tbh.

I don’t get the whole demand for this to happen.

Tav and Bassey can act as wingbacks as part of a back four and you have an extra player left over.

And I don’t think we have the pace at either side for a back 3. You need to have mobile centre backs.

Bassey would be perfect as a LCB but his attacking qualities have developed that much he’d be a waste at centre back.
I totally agree for domestic games. I thought we were talking about the CL Qualifiers

It’s a matter of public record that the board stated player sales would be reinvested in the playing squad. We sold Patterson and received a windfall payment for Gerrard. We‘ve now sold Itten and Wilson for a combined £2m.
So that’s £10m so even if they spend nothing else that should be available if it’s not the current custodians need to explain where those funds went. The team that spends the most normally wins right now we’re spending less than the sheep!

You’ve added Wilson but not deducted what’s been paid to the 5 or 6 young lads signed - can’t do one without the other.

We clearly haven’t finished transfer business.

No one has stated the budget and rightly so it may be ten mill. Who knows?

Not seen anything that says we will spend pound for pound any player sales, even if said, when was it said and has context changed? Ie Covid etc, I’d rather we ran prudently not to face ffp issues or worse

The accounts will show where funds went

So it's now the 1st of July. Let's see how many of the folk on here are correct and we will do business today or if the truth is that people just don't know anymore.

Do we?

You’ve read this year end (yesterdday) accounts?

Just lol at the time you put into this only to have it littered with absolute drivel.

Kamara was happily let go. They rejected our bids and eventually folded on the last day of the window.
Aye... But they didn't need to fold did they. See John Souttar. And it's hardly like Kamara is the type of player to down tools is it.

Drivel it might be, bits it's all accurate drivel isn't it. Hence your lack of response to any other point. Anyone pretending that they know exactly how a transfer is going to go before it even had gone though is nuts. You win some, you lose some. The listed ones we have 'lost' have been for relatively small outlays. But I find it bizarre to pick and choose from history that some of our signing were destined to fail from the off when all of the ones mentioned were actually sensible enough squad signings that were appropriate at the time. Hindsight is a wonderful thing... used by gits to make themselves look smart. Each player listed could have vastly improved if given an extended run in the team and could have been sold for a huge profit if they had shone. It just so happened that most were signed as squad players and had their route to the first team blocked by some serious quality (that 55 season and it's squad we still have was seriously breathtaking!)

Signing a kid from Leicester reserves who hardly set the heather alight when he arrived as understudy to Borna could easily have been included within the list, until his last 6 month 'hastie-like' purple patch. But we won't talk about that because we will make millions on him.
But we will happily slaughter other players who never came good like Simpson, Jones, Hastie and Barker, whilst talking up signings that simply couldn't fail because they were 1. Aberdeen captain (?!?), 2. Top scorer in finland (actual outright lie), 3. Signed in the championship (that excuse didn't work for Andy Halliday) or 4. The best midfielder in SPFL out with old firm (despite having no evidence and to back that up - team of the weeks, team of the years, Dundee player of the season, anything?!?). If folk are going to try lord it over other, I for one firmly believe they should at least have their facts right, which the 'right honerable' poster clearly did not.

Do we?
What about the years we won titles (including trebles) under Alex McLeish and Walter's 2nd spell?

Our rivals had a bigger budget and wage bill than us for ALL of that.

Do we?
Im assuming you are ignoring the 55 season then?

Do we?

Did the board say every penny of player sales would be reinvested in the squad?

Did they say it would all be invested in new players? Would using cash for keeping players like Goldson, and hopefully Kent and Alfie not count as investment in the squad?

I’m less concerned about the apparent lack of transfer activity than most of those panicking on this thread seem to be. There have been some positives since the season ended.
  • Goldson signing a new contract was every bit as good as a new signing.
  • Souttar signed, quality defender and a Scot which presumably helps for the Euro rules.
  • Colak- if we get him - looks to me to be pretty astute acquisition, a definite upgrade on Itten.
  • We are making very positive progress in bringing in highly rated young players for the development and B teams, this is crucial for our future sustainability and it’s good to see the club focusing on this.
Player trading is obviously the key for other moves and in simple terms if any of the players with 1 year left on their contract don’t sign an extension - Morelos, Kent, Aribo - they should be sold this summer. Looks like Aribo will certainly go. Bassey, if anyone offers £25m, should also go. I’d rather keep him obviously, he’s fabulous, but sustainability means we need to sell when player values are high and then reinvest. We need to get used to this reality.

Not all of it, unreasonable to expect everything in to go back out.

Especially when we have a £7.4m funding gap to cover
The unbudgeted Europa run would cover that. People making excuses for the board are becoming slightly tiresome. This board are as open as Murray was and treat us a lot of time with same contempt apart from when the want cash from us.
If player sales weren't all going on transfers fees they shouldn't have said it.No excuses.

If the players don't want to extend and other clubs don't meet our asking price then what is he to do?
If we sold them on the cheap last year you can only imagine the meltdown on here.

Practically every window there has been a collective sigh of relief when we have kept our best players as well.

Just be thankful none of these posters own bakeries.

They'd have 90% of their stock reduced to pennies by 8am because they have been up for hours and nothings been sold yet. And if they aren't sold by the end of the day they'll spoil! Nothing makes a good deal for a buyer like irrational desperation from a seller... And yet that seems to be exactly what some of 'our fans' are desperate for. Like we should be accepting the first paltry offers for our stars in June.

Just be thankful none of these posters own bakeries.

They'd have 90% of their stock reduced to pennies by 8am because they have been up for hours and nothings been sold yet. And if they aren't sold by the end of the day they'll spoil! Nothing makes a good deal for a buyer like irrational desperation from a seller... And yet that seems to be exactly what some of 'our fans' are desperate for. Like we should be accepting the first paltry offers for our stars in June.
Really weird analogy.

We'll probably be looking at having 1 or 2 in to join us in Portugal.
I'm relaxed about it as there's plenty of time and a few friendlies to play before the qualifiers.
Players are so fit these days they don't really need to be ran into the ground to get their fitness, it's more integrating with the squad and team formations.
Deals will happen when all parties are ready.

I’m less concerned about the apparent lack of transfer activity than most of those panicking on this thread seem to be. There have been some positives since the season ended.
  • Goldson signing a new contract was every bit as good as a new signing.
  • Souttar signed, quality defender and a Scot which presumably helps for the Euro rules.
  • Colak- if we get him - looks to me to be pretty astute acquisition, a definite upgrade on Itten.
  • We are making very positive progress in bringing in highly rated young players for the development and B teams, this is crucial for our future sustainability and it’s good to see the club focusing on this.
Player trading is obviously the key for other moves and in simple terms if any of the players with 1 year left on their contract don’t sign an extension - Morelos, Kent, Aribo - they should be sold this summer. Looks like Aribo will certainly go. Bassey, if anyone offers £25m, should also go. I’d rather keep him obviously, he’s fabulous, but sustainability means we need to sell when player values are high and then reinvest. We need to get used to this reality.

European squad criteria is often overlooked but it has to play a big part in our transfer / squad strategy.

4 club trained - Mcgregor, Mccrorie
4 nation trained - Souttar, Jack, Arfield, Wright
Max 17 who don't meet that criteria.

If McCregor and Arfield weren't retained then we were looking at a Euro squad of 21 plus the youths.

King, Lowry and McCann don't need registered and can supplement the squad.

The unbudgeted Europa run would cover that. People making excuses for the board are becoming slightly tiresome. This board are as open as Murray was and treat us a lot of time with same contempt apart from when the want cash from us.
If player sales weren't all going on transfers fees they shouldn't have said it.No excuses.
No it wouldnt, we have bonuses to pay out also.

No one is making excuses, just highlighting the reality of the situation.

We get it, you want us deep into debt.

Kind of like the Murrayites from the early '00

The fact we went out our way to bring in another centre half (Souttar) tells you otherwise.
Yeah it tells me helander is injury prone. My point was a fully fit helander is the best centre half in Scotland...hes never going to be fully fit so we need to get another body in. Quite why we've brought in someone with an injury record like souttars to help baffles me

How many seasons like last season will it take before we can actually seem to have healthy accounts and can end the constant debate over if we have money or not.
How many sponsors, how many record turnovers, how many players sales, how many record merchandise sales etc?

I have no clue myself, but if we aren't close to it after all the above, winning the league and then reaching a European Final in the last 2 seasons then we are being severely mismanaged.

No it wouldnt, we have bonuses to pay out also.

No one is making excuses, just highlighting the reality of the situation.

We get it, you want us deep into debt.

Kind of like the Murrayites from the early '00

I know. As the country is going into a deep recession and interest rates are increasing, folk seem to think this is the time to go into debt by splashing cash.

If the club feels it prudent to right off some debt I'm hardly going to critisise. I'm worried about what will happen to my own mortgage. The last recession in 2008 didn't exactly go well for us. So perhaps if we don't see a big spend to improve our already title challenging l, Europa League final reaching squad we shouldn't be spitting the dummy? What will be will be...

How many seasons like last season will it take before we can actually seem to have healthy accounts and can end the constant debate over if we have money or not.
How many sponsors, how many record turnovers, how many players sales, how many record merchandise sales etc?

I have no clue myself, but if we aren't close to it after all the above, winning the league and then reaching a European Final in the last 2 seasons then we are being severely mismanaged.

The only route for us to being able to consistently spend large fees without outside investment is by regularly selling players or competing in the Champions League.

Nah it’s because if miller says £10-12m or more he will be challenged every single time by a host and fellow pundit to justify it. It’s a path of least resistance from ex pros who have done it so often on ‘neutral’ platforms it even would be said on RTV too when no one would question him.

The ex Celtic players who act as their cheerleaders in the press don’t get the same level of scrutiny so are more comfortable sticking to their guns.
Spot on.
Abada for £18m anyone?

If we don't have any real funds after a season like last, you do wonder when we will actually have funds.
I for 1 will be interested if we see the bonuses for last season. If the board made the same mistake as Murray by offering ridiculous bonuses as he never thought we'd get to the final. Sure we actually lost money that season that seems almost impossible, but I'm sure the captain of industry managed it partly because of the bonuses he never thought he'd have to pay.

Read that one last night (my time anyways) and feel like all these rules do is further widen the gap they claim they want to close.

That all sounds like those at the top will only continue to get further away from us.
That's exactly what they want. The big clubs don't want to risk their opportunity of champions league places by letting "new money" clubs like Newcastle buy their way in. Despite the hypocrisy that's how the likes of city, Chelsea, psg got there

The only route for us to being able to consistently spend large fees without outside investment is by regularly selling players or competing in the Champions League.
Did the EL run not make more than we would've got for CL qualifiers anyway?
I get your point though. But if we don't improve this team that everyone was only too happy to admit has stagnated then we won't be regularly qualifying for the CL. We lost the league to a team who made their worst start to a season in 20+ years, our Europa run seems to have blinded a lot of people to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back