The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love Morelos to sign an extension to his contract but if not we move on. Preferably sell him and get some money in for a replacement and not let his contract run down and get nothing in a years time.
I would also like to see us play with two recognised strikers who know where the back of the net is. We have so much possession in games at times and are trying to walk the ball into the net.
Gio needs money to upgrade the team so we need to sell players now who’s contracts are running down. Goldson was maybe an exception and we can’t risk losing a few next year for nothing.

On the box-to-box midfielder suggestions - do people think Gio wants to set up with one? I'm not convinced by that.

Feels to me like having Lundstram and Jack, or whomever is picked, sitting so the full backs can be freed up is what we've decided to go with. Essentially, our goalscoring midfielder is Tavernier.
Exactly , very few teams play with a box to box type midfielder , that’s including us .

If Aribo's release clause is 10m then what happens if there's say 2/3 clubs after him? Does bidding start at 10m or is it a case of who Aribo decides to join for the 10m release fee.
They all offer £10m and he can talk to them all and decide who's best for him.

Colak will 100% be coming in as a second striker, the end of last season will have shown to Gio that Roofe simply cannot be trusted, even as a back up.

If we have £6/7m sitting there, I wonder why we’re taking so long over a £2m-ish signing.
Maybe we don’t have that sitting there until we sell which is hard to fathom.

If he isn’t in by Portugal I’ll be starting to think this.

Unless we sell a couple of players for big money, we won’t be spending much IMO.

That's why we need to start selling assets. I know some on here hate the thought and would love to keep the band together, but that's football.

We've a number of them; Bassey, Kent, Morelos, Aribo and Kamara - some nearing the final year of their deals. If they don't sign on, then they need sold.

Absolutely no point in adding numbers to the squad. We need quality or the standard of the first 11 will never improve and we will stagnate.

That's why we need to start selling assets. I know some on here hate the thought and would love to keep the band together, but that's football.

We've a number of them; Bassey, Kent, Morelos, Aribo and Kamara - some nearing the final year of their deals. If they don't sign on, then they need sold.

Absolutely no point in adding numbers to the squad. We need quality or the standard of the first 11 will never improve and we will stagnate.

Thats it. We have to sell one or two players per season.

And we ideally will already have their replacement at the club.

The only slight worrying thing for me is the players linked, none of them are 1st 11 changing if that makes sense.

Colak - not better than Morelos
Dallinga - not better than Morelos
Lawerence - not better than Aribo

For me we are needing st least 2 1st 11 bettering (if that’s even a word) signings.

I trust we will hopefully get it right……well fingers crossed we will
is there any truth to the lawrence chat ?

The only slight worrying thing for me is the players linked, none of them are 1st 11 changing if that makes sense.

Colak - not better than Morelos
Dallinga - not better than Morelos
Lawerence - not better than Aribo

For me we are needing st least 2 1st 11 bettering (if that’s even a word) signings.

I trust we will hopefully get it right……well fingers crossed we will
Our recent transfer windows have shown us what happens when you fail to strengthen the first team. Really only Lundstram has been signed as a first team player that has shown the can improve the team

Last edited:
Thats it. We have to sell one or two players per season.

And we ideally will already have their replacement at the club.

This summer I'd look to sell Barišić. I'm not sure if Aribo is interested in a new deal so we've got to look at moving him on and there has already been rumours.

Kent and Morelos are out of contract next summer. A decision needs made there. They either sign up, we sell or risk losing them for peanuts half way through the season or even worse, for free!

Bassey and Kamara have also been talked amount in terms of moving on - you'd be hoping for £30m in total for those two.

Dallinga is the one we should be all over at £2-2.5M IMO. 36 goals at any level is a decent return for a season. I would liken it to signing a young Alfredo who had excelled at a lower level, difference being here that we already have a superb established central striker (for now) to take the pressure off him. With the failure of Herrera, Fredo very quickly became the main man, thankfully he stepped up.

If the player trading model is to work we need to be picking up at least 2/3 of these types every year and hoping one makes us big money.

Dallinga is the one we should be all over at £2-2.5M IMO. 36 goals at any level is a decent return for a season. I would liken it to signing a young Alfredo who had excelled at a lower level, difference being here that we already have a superb established central striker (for now) to take the pressure off him. With the failure of Herrera, Fredo very quickly became the main man, thankfully he stepped up.

If the player trading model is to work we need to be picking up at least 2/3 of these types every year and hoping one makes us big money.
Im sure hes going to Toulouse

He may well be talented, but that league is absolutely bonkers how many goals is scored in it, I'd say the Scottish Championship would be tougher for a striker than it is in that league.

He could be excellent, but goals scored in one of the most open leagues anywhere should be taken with a pinch of salt.

He may well be talented, but that league is absolutely bonkers how many goals is scored in it, I'd say the Scottish Championship would be tougher for a striker than it is in that league.

He could be excellent, but goals scored in one of the most open leagues anywhere should be taken with a pinch of salt.
Reminds me of Nicky Clark going goal crazy in League 1

There’s a player in that league who’s scored 80 goals in 3 seasons and in that time nobody in the top division has even looked at him. Clearly at 21 Dallinga has got potential but I don’t think it would be worth it spending £3m on him.

Reminds me of Nicky Clark going goal crazy in League 1

That was who was in my mind making that post,but couldn’t remember if it was league 1 or the championship he scored all his goals in.

Don’t get me wrong, who knows how good he could be, Ajax have produced loads of superstars who have come through that league, however it’s a bit strange that none of the bigger Dutch clubs have gone for him.

Totally agree mate, my comparison was with Fredo who showed up well in Finland and has done amazing for us.

The flip side is Itten who was top scorer in Switzerland and couldn’t get to the level required here.

Really there’s no way of telling how any signing will work out but if we are mitigating risk where possible I’d say he was low risk.

There’s a player in that league who’s scored 80 goals in 3 seasons and in that time nobody in the top division has even looked at him. Clearly at 21 Dallinga has got potential but I don’t think it would be worth it spending £3m on him.

As I said to @SuperGers07 its a wee bit strange that the only Dutch club to show any interest is Vitese, you’d think the top clubs over there would be all over a prolific striker right under their nose.

He changed his agents for a purpose , I agree it is unlikely we will see him in a Rangers strip again. That is depressing . We can’t afford a replacement . They don’t grow on trees .

I still think it's about 50/50 whether he stays or goes.

Personally, I hope he signs a new extended deal and stays, but if he leaves, then we 100% can afford to replace him and we've replaced far better players than Alfredo in the past.

No player is bigger than our club and while we'll remember him fondly, as supporters we move on quickly.

It's a good point TBF. The player that finished 2 goals behind Dallinga last season is a 30 year old who was a bit part player for Crawley Town 5 years ago, scoring 2 in 20 appearances in League Two.

Not happening until we sell, I think that much is obvious.
I think it's more not buying until we know who is staying or going because it changes the money available.

For example say we want a RW and have a budget of £5M but if we sell Aribo for £10M then maybe with Lowry coming through they don't allocate the entire Aribo budget to his replacement, instead going for a more expensive right winger.

What we don't want is a repeat of Gerrard's second summer where we bought a load of wingers to replace Kent and then got the money to buy Kent after all and were left with Barker, Stewart and Hastie taking up wages and stopping progress for young players for the next 2-3 years.

Some of the top scorers in the Eerste Divisie over the years are ageing players who have found their level. Dallinga probably has a bit about him but I'm not overly bothered about not signing this lad.

Strand Larsen (Groningen) would be a better signing from the Eredivisie but he'll likely cost too much.

As I said to @SuperGers07 its a wee bit strange that the only Dutch club to show any interest is Vitese, you’d think the top clubs over there would be all over a prolific striker right under their nose.

Could say similar here with the likes of Shankland. On paper he scored lots of goals but I think most people who saw him realised he wouldn't make the step up.

Never mind the Eerste Divisie, there's been a few strikers who plundered goals left, right and centre in the Eredivisie who shat the bed elsewhere.

Kezman and Afonso Alves anyone ?

He changed his agents for a purpose , I agree it is unlikely we will see him in a Rangers strip again. That is depressing . We can’t afford a replacement . They don’t grow on trees .
His new agency deal mostly with Spanish transfers I’ve read.

They are obviously touting him round La Liga in hopes someone makes a move. If he is to leave, then that’s the best league for him imo

You want a £5m-£7.5m gamble every season? Dallinga is very much in the gamble bracket. Alfie was a very, very rare bit of luck in that department. Not a chance we do that sort of business every season mate.

Maybe 1 gamble every other year.

Thanks for clearing that up guys!
Clubs are not likely to bid £10m just because there is a £10m release clause. They will bid what they think they can get him for, up to a maximum of £10m. If a club offers us 7 or 8m (or even less) then we have a decision to make, just like with other players. If multiple clubs are interested then there is more chance of the price being bid up to the £10m.

Reactions: Jeb
He plays for money mate, as 99.99% of players do.

If he was in it for the fans he’d play for his home town team.

Realistically he’ll be basing his decision on wages more than anything else and fair play to him. He came from relative poverty and has a skill that people will pay for.
People do seem to forget Alfie came from poverty, he will be looking for as much money as possible to set up as many of his family as he can for years to come.

Strikers who run up the numbers in poorer leagues I agree are hard to judge. We saw that up close with Boyd who you would never had near any big game, the Euro games this year for example.

We've also seen guys like Michael Higdon run riot in the SPL.

However, Dortmund took Lewandowski who was scoring for fun in Poland. I'm sure a lot of clubs would have looked at him.

It's trying to predict whether it's just a hot streak, maybe a guy who can find space against poorer defenders or a player that can really catch fire playing with even better players around him.

Was purely based on a player trading model where we’ve sold already.
I added an extra bit. Finances permitting we could risk that on one player every other season. Don't think we can take the gamble beyond that at £2m plus. As you've indicated, Itten probably falls into that bracket and it didn't work out. I'm surprised we got as much back as has been suggested on here (if we did) and would suggest that most we buy in at that price who flop end up going for buttons. That's a killer in our financial state.

I added an extra bit. Finances permitting we could risk that on one player every other season. Don't think we can take the gamble beyond that at £2m plus. As you've indicated, Itten probably falls into that bracket and it didn't work out. I'm surprised we got as much back as has been suggested on here (if we did) and would suggest that most we buy in at that price who flop end up going for buttons. That's a killer in our financial state.

Thankfully, we're moving to a much stronger place financially. We have to be able to afford some failed signings now and then, because they're inevitable if you want to spend money on players.

Thankfully, we're moving to a much stronger place financially. We have to be able to afford some failed signings now and then, because they're inevitable if you want to spend money on players.
Every signing is a risk obviously. Poster was suggesting £5m-£7.5m on two or three players every season who are untested at a decent level, like Dallinga though. I’d say that’s a step too far.

I absolutely love Morelos.

We'll struggle to replace him in Europe.. he always raises his levels on those big nights.

But truthfully, i think we'll do just fine without him domestically.

His league record over the course of his time here isn't what you'd class as prolific.

Hes had great spells followed by awful spells.

I don't think it will be overly hard to find a replacement that will hit 20+ goals a season if we've got a chunk of money to spend on his replacement.

If he does go I wish him all the best.. if he signs a new deal then happy days.

I'm not stressing too much either way.

Our problem for this season is that Celtic realistically have two strikers who could easily hit 20+ goals in Kyogo and Giakoumakis.

People understand the model the club wants to work too and it's only natural for them to say they want someone like Alfie to stay cause he's a good player and we don't want to see good players leave the club.

The core of our first 11 is very good but for whatever reason people on here go on as if it's a poor one. We have 1 position in that 11 that needs filled right now and that's the right wing and then we need another striker option. Until then we can only improve the starting 11 once players from it are sold out of it and replace them like for like.

You just have too look at the pictures from the start of pre-season yesterday to see where the issues lie and why we can't just keep adding to the squad as well.

I think we have plenty of players in our squad that can raise their game to match just about anyone on their day. However, we don’t have enough flat track bullies.

The other mob have the exact opposite problem and have done for years.

I’m hopeful we can bring in at least one forward capable of putting the easier games to bed because I don’t generally worry about this team going into tough games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back