The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t want to get drawn into an argument and appreciate your comments as well however the “not good enough” comment I made was a result of history repeating itself if we don’t make the champions league by failing to invest properly in the team, an argument that was made last summer also.

I also think it would be wholly unfair on Gio to not have any significant financial backing in this market considering there was minimal spend in January.

We made the Europa League final with a weaker squad than we had for the qualifiers of the Champions League. It wasn't a lack of spend that shat on the CL aspirations last season.

Erik probably demands a wage that is genuinely outside of our wage structure. It IS possible that, despite everything else that we see from afar, we actually are a well-run club.

You have to assume that with Botheim ripping up at 6mil contract, his wages reflect this as a free agent. In fact, since he is a free agent he's probably after, let's say, 30-40k a week and a few mil signing on bonus.

Do we break the wage structure for him, only to then turn around and say to Alfredo or Kent that we can't go above our pre-defined structure? We're not going to do that.

But we might currently be negotiating a signing-on fee...
Thankfully some of the less thoughtful on here don’t run the club. We have to live within our means I think those running the club won’t risk anything stupid.

No need for the utter crap, adds nothing to what has been a civil debate.

Football has changed. We can either be stuck in the old mentality and be left behind, or get with the script and build a sustainable model.

Lundstram went from zero to hero in about 3 months, so I don’t buy that you need 2 years for that to happen.

Do you honestly think I’d be discussing this if winning wasn’t at the basis of what was being discussed?

The model is possible, it’s down to the supporters that are stuck in the 9 in a row era to accept it needs to happen.

Teams around Europe are doing it whilst winning league titles. We’ve no option but to emulate that.
You're right in that football has changed.
Everybody knows everything about football these day whilst us ancients from the niar years have never heard of anything like "the model" or God knows how many other new phrases.
It's almost as if selling players to fund new signings was only invented last year!
Boumsong? Hutton?
So, your sanctimonius comments don't wash, bud.
As for your Lundstram comment (not sure why this one was addressed to me though), it took Hateley a full season to win the fans over.
McCoist even longer.
These teams around Europe you mention.
Who are they and how many players are they turning over each season?
Do they never play or bring in anybody over a particular age?

Everybody knows everything about football these day whilst us ancients from the niar years have never heard of anything like "the model" or God knows how many other new phrases.
It's almost as if selling players to fund new signings was only invented last year!
Boumsong? Hutton?
As for your Lundstram comment (not sure why this one was addressed to me though), it took Hateley a full season to win the fans over.
McCoist even longer.
Do they never play or bring in anybody over a particular age?the thing about models is they only
Boumsong? Hutton?
McCoist even longer.
Do they never play or bring in anybody over a particular age?
Models, in any sphere of activity, rarely work if they are applied too prescriptively. Football, like life, is messy.

You only need to read this thread and the responses to every tweet the club sends out these days.

Thousands of Kevin the Teenagers throwing their toys out the pram and screaming "I want, I want, I want" repeatedly.
Can imagine :D

Some people just jump on to any rumour, believe they’re the next Ronaldo and that we should do anything to sign them.

Models, in any sphere of activity, rarely work if they are applied too prescriptively. Football, like life, is messy.
But there seems to be no semblance of a model in terms of the first year so far this season. It looks like the youth is all being dealt with well generally with new contracts and signings but we seem stale when it comes to first team.

Can imagine :D

Some people just jump on to any rumour, believe they’re the next Ronaldo and that we should do anything to sign them.

I've seen full grown adult men on twitter screeching on twitter about us 'missing out on' Xavi Simons to PSV and gnashing their teeth about Ross Wilson over it. The fans are utterly demented and it's not even July :))

Hate bringing them up, but they’ve shifted every player you mentioned there.
The point being made is they didn't sell when they wanted to and ended up losing them in thier final year for significantly less than they were hawking them about for.

Dont think the club will want a saga so if they start messing us about then wouldn’t surprise me if they moved on to other targets

I’d say it’s a pretty likely outcome that we will dip into the loan market.

Given the contacts that our manager and his team will have, I’d be relatively confident that we can attract some quality here. Players will want to come to the club given our profile and to play for Gio.

Given the contacts that our manager and his team will have, I’d be relatively confident that we can attract some quality here. Players will want to come to the club given our profile and to play for Gio.
You could argue that that two loans played a significant part in them winning the league - Jota and vickers. Of course it’s a market that we should be utilising but as with everything needs to be the right player available at the right time for the right price - note that they signed both those players on deadline day

You could argue that that two loans played a significant part in them winning the league - Jota and vickers. Of course it’s a market that we should be utilising but as with everything needs to be the right player available at the right time for the right price - note that they signed both those players on deadline day
Absolutely. We have had success in that market over the years but we have had some poor ones that didn’t work.

If we do go down the loan route I hope it brings quality and options to purchase too.

If we don't get Colak over the line, the fallout is going to be pretty spectacular isn't it ?
I think it will be due to a built up frustration at our perceived lack of activity so far

He’s the only real concrete target in the media and if we fail to land him given the relatively smallish fee, I suspect there will be an uproar from a lot of fans

Doubt Gio will be happy either

I’m only interested in loans that have an option to buy

Kent aside, pretty much every other loan we’ve had in the last 4-5 years has been piss poor

You say we’ve been running a tight ship as if every transfer we’ve made has been successful and we’ve maximised profit where possible.

I’d wait until we see what happens with our ‘big three’ who have a year left before deciding how tightly this ship is being run.
mate ,I was talking about signing targets and possible outgoings
and how well we go about our business in private and there are no leaks to the media,compared to just a few years ago.

nothing to do with contract situations or players signed being successful or not ?

Someone at Kents level? Kent doesn't score enough goals or produce enough assists so what's his level? there is no doubt he's a talented player but that talent needs to be used better to produce more.
"We always talk about the statistics. Players today play for the statistics, but this is the biggest mistake they can do. "Statistics are just a bit of information that we have, but there are players that make the team play good and are not in the statistics"

Pep said it best. A philosophy I wholeheartedly buy into, and one that absolutely applies to Ryan Kent. A player that gets us going imo.

"We always talk about the statistics. Players today play for the statistics, but this is the biggest mistake they can do. "Statistics are just a bit of information that we have, but there are players that make the team play good and are not in the statistics"

Pep said it best. A philosophy I wholeheartedly buy into, and one that absolutely applies to Ryan Kent. A player that gets us going imo.

I get that, I truly do but in my opinion, his goals ratio has to increase significantly.

I get that, I truly do but in my opinion, his goals ratio has to increase significantly.

I would love it to as well. I think he is capable of more.

But I also think he is electric, he assists assists and teams shit it from him that much they double.up on him and leave gaps.

There's no other player on that park you want the ball to land at when we break.

I absolutely love Ryan Kent, one of my favourite players. I just feel the stats argument, whilst it is a talking point, is often used as a rod to beat him with.

Every time I jump into this thread it just confirms not a lot of people know how transfers work.

Omg Solbakken (sp?) for 800k, do it now Rangers!!

800k to Bodo, plus millions signing on fee and a wage well out our league.

Genuinely clueless. He would be going for 6/7/8m+ if he wasn’t in the last 6 months. Believe it or not that money will end up in his pocket rather than Bodo’s.
I am just happy we are lucky enough to have someone as knowledgeable as yourself willing to make posts on the board and explain it all to us.

Thanks mate.

Kent stats debate is a fascinating one for me.
I think he should score more.

His "assists" number I often think would be higher if you measured the pass before the pass, or the move that opened the space etc..
He's key to how we play, stats aside.
I've thought this for a while. His goal record isn't good enough but his actual contributions to goals is a lot higher than his assists stats suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back