The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you remember many players, new signings, who have made a noticeable difference in qualifiers for us over the years?

Not suggesting there are none but more often not, players need time settle.

The panic on here to get players in before the qualifiers seems over the top to me.

Not so much the players but the lift it gives the squad. Like last season we started well enough but there was a malaise feeling to our play and it cost us the champions league imo. I know the staggered return of players didn’t help either but we cannot let this pass again.

At least they’ll be thinking the same thing about us.
Very true.

We will be a team all want to avoid in qualifiers.
Ideally, we will avoid both of them two - but if we face them, we should go in with a degree of confidence that we've taken on stronger in recent memory and come out on top.

Roofe is 29 and has managed 36 games each season he's been here. He's nowhere near as injury prone as Helander, and whilst he has to be managed, I'd far rather keep him and the close to 20 goals per season he offers us mostly from the bench than sell him at a £3m loss.

Getting a third striker in would ease the burden on Roofe and probably help get the best out of him too.
I'm of a similar position. I stated on the previous thread (before it was deleted) similar reasons for why I'd keep Roofe. As you allude to, it's about better management to keep players like him at reduced risk of injury, but match sharp.

Unfortunately, due to a new management team coming in half way through a season, they had yet to build trust in the squad, and as a result didn't rotate him and Morelos through the winter period.

The reality is, no money is ever guaranteed to be re-invested. This is pretty much, in my opinion of course, why Gerrard chose to keep his team together last season.

It was on the back of a £24M loss. If we had sold Alfie and say Kamara for £25M. The board would, within their rights, be able to keep all of it to plug the gap.

People talk about funding like its a game of football manager, the reality is, finance is fluid. Theres no such thing as a cast iron guarantee. Which is why the term "player trading model" is completely redundant. We could sell Aribo for £10M tomorrow and an investor could ask for it to pay back an outstanding loan at short notice. People have bought into jargon rather than reality
So if the reality is that no money is ever guaranteed to be reinvested and major figures at the club are on record telling us player fees will be reinvested then the club is lying to us.

People can't have it both ways

I think between SD money, ED house and maybe the possibility we don’t have the money to improve the starting 11 until 1 leaves could be the issue.

When you look at the squad we probably only need a RW and a striker as it stands without any sales. What I will say is I think we missed a opportunity to improve the goalkeeper spot for a ok fee or even a free transfer.

We need this player trading model to kick in properly before we move on, but such is said the fan base seem to have a real problem of the idea of letting go of our top players.

Lose lose situation for the recruitment guys.

So if the reality is that no money is ever guaranteed to be reinvested and major figures at the club are on record telling us player fees will be reinvested then the club is lying to us.

People can't have it both ways

Its not. They can give all the soundbytes they like in interviews, but the reality is Robertson has a duty to the shareholder first and foremost. Its a slippery business, but if you put a £10M loan into the club, and the opportunity arose via a player sale to get your money back, with interest, earlier. Wouldnt you take it?

I 100% support Gio getting money to spend. I still think he will. I just think peoples interpretation of our finance is too black and white.

If we neglect Gio, i wont be happy. All im saying is the finance is complicated. Cant we just show some patience?

We got Tav in the Championship. Kamara was way too good for Dundee and probably the best Mid outside the OF. Jack was Aberdeen Captain and Morelos was top scorer in Finland.

Jones got 11 goals and assists and 8 assists in 3 seasons, all comps for Killie and had maturity issues prior to us.

Hastie had a purple patch of 4/5 months that's it.

Barker wasn't even a starter for Hibs.

Simpson wasn't even on the bench for Bournemouth.

Says "Aberdeen captain" with a straight face?

List of Aberdeen captains:

Scott Brown
Joe Lewis
Graeme Shinnie
Russell Anderson

Yup. When you consider that list, being Aberdeen captain is definitely qualification enough to be rangers quality.

Kamara the best midfielder outside of the old firm is a cracking bit of hindsight, but it may not explain why he failed to make the SPFL team of the year after his first season at Dundee (beaten not even by old firm players, but McGinn and McGeouch of Hibs) and was happily let go with 6 months of a contract left for a meagre 50k. It just doesn't SOUND like he was what you say he was. You know who WAS in that 2017/18 SPFL team of the year? The clear failure of a signing of Jordan Jones! Why did we not read the warning signs?!?

Morelos top goalscorer in Finland... Sounds great on paper when you put it like that. Except it's not remotely true. Morelos appeared in the 2016 and 2017 seasons in finals. He was top scorer in neither.

Ofcourse after all Tav has done for the club and achieved to question his signing would be FF suicide. So let's simply accept that we would all consider the signing of a player who has been at 9 different teams before he was 25 as a wholely sensible long term acquisition and forget the fact he wasn't even able to make it into a poor Wigan side and had been loaned out to Bristol before we signed him.

Hindsight is an incredible thing. Itten on paper was a wonderful acquisition, but on paper it just never worked out. This happens. It doesn't mean we stop trying.

Barker was man city's youth player of the year once upon a time (and actually made some pretty important contributions to our early European exploits under Gerrard - he might not have been Kent but he was massive improvement on Progress and folk should remember that when making out how much of a failure he was). Hastie an spfl young player of the year nominee, Jones in the team of the year as discussed and Simpson an England u21 international (something that cannot be claimed by either Tav, Goldson, Lundstram, or Kent). And most crucially, combined, each signing cost us barely anything. Worth the risk if you ask me, as no signing are without risk.

Itten? We sold him in this window not January. Some of the Patterson money will have been used to fund what happened in January.
Are you being serious?

Are you suggesting multi million pounds were reinvested in a bosman who didn't sign for us until the summer and a guy that cost us relative pennies from Poland?

We're talking in the region of £13m taken in.

Its not. They can give all the soundbytes they like in interviews, but the reality is Robertson has a duty to the shareholder first and foremost. Its a slippery business, but if you put a £10M loan into the club, and the opportunity arose via a player sale to get your money back, with interest, earlier. Wouldnt you take it?

I 100% support Gio getting money to spend. I still think he will. I just think peoples interpretation of our finance is too black and white.

If we neglect Gio, i wont be happy. All im saying is the finance is complicated. Cant we just show some patience?
No there is a difference between soundbites and lies. You are saying that there can be no guarantees and that the Patterson money will go to repaying loans etc when major figures at the club are telling our support that any incoming fees will be reinvested.

If (and i say if) they are lying on that point to us then that is huge and not to be dismissed as a 'soundbite'.

Are you being serious?

Are you suggesting multi million pounds were reinvested in a bosman who didn't sign for us until the summer and a guy that cost us relative pennies from Poland?

We're talking in the region of £13m taken in.

He was announced in January as a signing and we tried to get him in earlier so he would have got a nice signing on fee as a bosman. Zukowski £500k did we/did we not pay £2m plus wages for Ramsey, Loan fees and wages for Diallo and Sands. Barker paid up as well to let him go and maybe the club are using the rest to run the club without the use of shareholder input as has been the plan since 2020 to move away from that model?

Says "Aberdeen captain" with a straight face?

List of Aberdeen captains:

Scott Brown
Joe Lewis
Graeme Shinnie
Russell Anderson

Yup. When you consider that list, being Aberdeen captain is definitely qualification enough to be rangers quality.

Kamara the best midfielder outside of the old firm is a cracking bit of hindsight, but it may not explain why he failed to make the SPFL team of the year after his first season at Dundee (beaten not even by old firm players, but McGinn and McGeouch of Hibs) and was happily let go with 6 months of a contract left for a meagre 50k. It just doesn't SOUND like he was what you say he was. You know who WAS in that 2017/18 SPFL team of the year? The clear failure of a signing of Jordan Jones! Why did we not read the warning signs?!?

Morelos top goalscorer in Finland... Sounds great on paper when you put it like that. Except it's not remotely true. Morelos appeared in the 2016 and 2017 seasons in finals. He was top scorer in neither.

Ofcourse after all Tav has done for the club and achieved to question his signing would be FF suicide. So let's simply accept that we would all consider the signing of a player who has been at 9 different teams before he was 25 as a wholely sensible long term acquisition and forget the fact he wasn't even able to make it into a poor Wigan side and had been loaned out to Bristol before we signed him.

Hindsight is an incredible thing. Itten on paper was a wonderful acquisition, but on paper it just never worked out. This happens. It doesn't mean we stop trying.

Barker was man city's youth player of the year once upon a time (and actually made some pretty important contributions to our early European exploits under Gerrard - he might not have been Kent but he was massive improvement on Progress and folk should remember that when making out how much of a failure he was). Hastie an spfl young player of the year nominee, Jones in the team of the year as discussed and Simpson an England u21 international (something that cannot be claimed by either Tav, Goldson, Lundstram, or Kent). And most crucially, combined, each signing cost us barely anything. Worth the risk if you ask me, as no signing are without risk.

Just lol at the time you put into this only to have it littered with absolute drivel.

Kamara was happily let go. They rejected our bids and eventually folded on the last day of the window.

Because Morelos, Kent and Aribo are entering the last year of their deals and we risk losing them for nothing so unless they sign new deals then it's a massive issue.
If the players don't want to extend and other clubs don't meet our asking price then what is he to do?
If we sold them on the cheap last year you can only imagine the meltdown on here.

Practically every window there has been a collective sigh of relief when we have kept our best players as well.

Last edited:
He was announced in January as a signing and we tried to get him in earlier so he would have got a nice signing on fee as a bosman. Zukowski £500k did we/did we not pay £2m plus wages for Ramsey, Loan fees and wages for Diallo and Sands. Barker paid up as well to let him go and maybe the club are using the rest to run the club without the use of shareholder input as has been the plan since 2020 to move away from that model?
Nonsense.

A bosman will not get a penny until he signs. You can't sign for another club when you are still under contract. Souttar never got a penny from us until this summer. If you think the rest of that equates to reinvesting £13m incomings then thats crazy.

As for using it to run the club etc then don't lie that incomings will be reinvested in the squad

No there is a difference between soundbites and lies. You are saying that there can be no guarantees and that the Patterson money will go to repaying loans etc when major figures at the club are telling our support that any incoming fees will be reinvested.

If (and i say if) they are lying on that point to us then that is huge and not to be dismissed as a 'soundbite'.

Im saying he may have said it, when he was told it was true. Then a shareholder we owe money to has asked to be repaid?

Can i just remind you of Dave Kings interview when he talked about "front-loading" money. Im sure, and i paraphrase because i genuinely cant remember the figure, but he said it would be cost circa £50M to make us competitive and it would be front-loaded, ie, there would come a point where its time to pay the piper. Maybe its come. Maybe 55 was the price to pay and we all chose to pay it.

I dont have all the answers mate. Weve literally just got to July. Im just saying theres so much to consider that it seems people forget the initial outlay people paid so we could win the title that mattered.

I wont be happy with Gio not being backed. Hes done so well, but maybe theres more to consider, that not fair?

I’d have thought any loans from directors would have had a stipulated date for its repayment.

I’d have thought any loans from directors would have had a stipulated date for its repayment.

Yeah, but if you can repay early, wouldnt you save the interest?

Ive no idea mate, but finance is more complex than - we sold a guy for £10M so we need to spend £5M on a replacement

Im saying he may have said it, when he was told it was true. Then a shareholder we owe money to has asked to be repaid?

Can i just remind you of Dave Kings interview when he talked about "front-loading" money. Im sure, and i paraphrase because i genuinely cant remember the figure, but he said it would be cost circa £50M to make us competitive and it would be front-loaded, ie, there would come a point where its time to pay the piper. Maybe its come. Maybe 55 was the price to pay and we all chose to pay it.

I dont have all the answers mate. Weve literally just got to July. Im just saying theres so much to consider that it seems people forget the initial outlay people paid so we could win the title that mattered.

I wont be happy with Gio not being backed. Hes done so well, but maybe theres more to consider, that not fair?
Dont say it then.

It's a blatant lie to the support. Many oc whom believe everything the club tell us.

If incoming are needed to run the club etc then what would have happened if there was no incoming fees as they are not guaranteed

Dont say it then.

It's a blatant lie to the support. Many oc whom believe everything the club tell us.

If incoming are needed to run the club etc then what would have happened if there was no incoming fees as they are not guaranteed

You dont take the "front-loading" of finance into consideration then mate?

The fact the board (whatever you think about them) jumped at the chance of an Old Firm friendly for a few quid perhaps suggests that money is tight to say the least.

Anyone expecting money to be spent and multiple transfers will probably be disappointed.

It just won’t happen unless we have multiple big money sales, which also looks unlikely at this point due to the market.

Nonsense.

A bosman will not get a penny until he signs. You can't sign for another club when you are still under contract. Souttar never got a penny from us until this summer. If you think the rest of that equates to reinvesting £13m incomings then thats crazy.

As for using it to run the club etc then don't lie that incomings will be reinvested in the squad

He would get a signing on fee for joining as a bosman and the deal was announced in January. Of course he won't get his wages until his contract starts which I presume is tomorrow.

If you don't think that any of the Patterson money that we got for him and Itten cash in this window was used to fund our January business then fair doos to you. I very much doubt the Gerrard cash would have been available to spend on transfers either but again if you think that fair enough.

He would get a signing on fee for joining as a bosman and the deal was announced in January. Of course he won't get his wages until his contract starts which I presume is tomorrow.

If you don't think that any of the Patterson money that we got for him and Itten cash in this window was used to fund our January business then fair doos to you. I very much doubt the Gerrard cash would have been available to spend on transfers either but again if you think that fair enough.
No he wouldn't.

He would get a signing on fee when he signed for us. He signed for us this summer.

Maybe some of it was used. If it was it was a pittance

The latter is hard to do when to date, nobody whatsoever has shown their hand and came for a player.
It does make you think if our players are less than the sum of their parts? We talk about how tight the dressing room is and that we are a Team not individuals! This could be what’s harming out selling potential and therefore buying power. We can’t continue to renew contracts as we will never realise any great value of our assets while in their peak years!!

Might need to start up a support group, FF transfer threads anonymous. “Hi I’m <name> and I can’t stop it. I know it’s bad for me, it’s affecting my family, my work and my mental health but I can’t stop getting that sweet sweet hit of absolute insanity. My closest friends held an intervention, they were right, but still I pretended to need the toilet so I could go and check back in to feel the rush of absolutely f all happening. That’s my story, I’m ashamed, has Colak signed?”

I think things will move much more quickly from tomorrow. I’ve wondered for some time if we’ve been holding of until 1st of July - start of our new financial year - before making any sufficient outlays. Particularly with the new UEFA rules on FFP having a strong season this season financially will help offset if we spend more next year.
Positive loyal

Tom Brady's o_O
78-E7-ED78-8-EC1-4-D6-F-8962-38993-BB2-C3-FA.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back