The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're saying you dont want Hong Kong owning and running the club. I'll accept there's no full ownership however Julian Wolhardt owns shares and is on our board.

He owns a a decent % and on the board therefore has a say in the running of the club. As I said it's close enough.

Combine that with Stuart Gibson who earned his money in HK and there's more than enough involvement in our club from HK
Good point s

In order to sell them - and in order for someone else to sign them - then the player needs to agree mate. If any of those players chooses to run down their contract, and that’s what Aribo, for example, did at Charlton, then there is nothing we can do about it.
It could be argued differently VB, we absolutely could encourage him to move and sometimes that encouragement in football is carrot or stick in approach. All is fair in love, war and business…..football is all 3!!

Yep he definitely has the ability to do all of that. If he actually fulfills his potential it would be Liverpool or Man City looking at him.
He can be the most frustrating player I've ever seen.
I think Aribo is an absolutely cracking player, but I think he maybe lacks the mentality to get to those heights (maybe not the technique or physical ability though).
Several people, including himself, have recognised that he lacks the belief and confidence in his own ability. I fear that may always be there and hinder the heights he should reach.

I'll miss him from our team. I wonder if we were the perfect club for him - being a big fish in a small pond will have helped with his confidence.

It could be argued differently VB, we absolutely could encourage him to move and sometimes that encouragement in football is carrot or stick in approach. All is fair in love, war and business…..football is all 3!!
Aribo has already demonstrated he’s happy to run down a contract. And subsequently done very well out of his move to Rangers. Reportedly a £300k fee but by the time the player and his Agent got their ‘inducements’ it cost us circa £2m. So it would need to be a big carrot. The only ‘stick’ would be not playing him - and that hurts us as well.

I‘m not suggesting because he’s done it once he will do it again. Simply highlighting that it’s not the 70s anymore and it’s the player that has the power.

Heart and Hand + the 4th official.

Probably leaked to explain why the fee is on the lowish side.
Didn't know about 4th official. Don't know how reliable that is. Might be.

I doubt very much the club leaked it at all. Explaining fees doesn't make sense. If clubs don't want to reveal fees theyusually just say undisclosed. Could have been the agent but I would expect there to be more out there if that's the case.

Anyways, hopefully resolved one way or another soon.

Didn't know about 4th official. Don't know how reliable that is. Might be.

I doubt very much the club leaked it at all. Explaining fees doesn't make sense. If clubs don't want to reveal fees theyusually just say undisclosed. Could have been the agent but I would expect there to be more out there if that's the case.

Anyways, hopefully resolved one way or another soon.
Would make sense to leak it to dampen expectations of people wanting him to go for much more.

If the release clause wasn’t leaked then suddenly Aribo moves for 10m the fan base would be in uproar.

£10m (his sell-on clause) plus a 20% sell-on fee to potential suitors and he goes with best wishes.

:(
That doesn't make sense though. Why would you offer that, if £10m itself with no sell on would be accepted?

If anything, there's a potential to sell for about £8m with a decent sell on.

It would be easier for the buying club to just pay the full amount though. The £2m is nothing to these clubs.

That doesn't make sense though. Why would you offer that, if £10m itself with no sell on would be accepted?

It would be easier for the buying club to just pay the full amount though. The £2m is nothing to these clubs.
I'd hope we'd demand a good sell-on fee is added to his contract we need to be getting something out of it when they move him on.

I'd hope we'd demand a good sell-on fee is added to his contract we need to be getting something out of it when they move him on.

As was said above, if there's a release clause and it's met, there's pretty much no chance anyone will agree to a sell-on percentage.

Would make sense to leak it to dampen expectations of people wanting him to go for much more.

If the release clause wasn’t leaked then suddenly Aribo moves for 10m the fan base would be in uproar.
But would they really? Last year of contract. Club just need to say clause activated and if it's £10 million that's what it is. How much more would we realistically get with his contract running down? It's all a bit strange that the clause is activated in the final year. Again, not saying it isn’t but doesn't make sense to me.

It happens and probably a likely scenario.

A 10m release clause needs to be paid upfront.

We'll more likely agree on a deal of just under 10m with a clause of some sort so the buyer can pay in installments.

But would they really? Last year of contract. Club just need to say clause activated and if it's £10 million that's what it is. How much more would we realistically get with his contract running down? It's all a bit strange that the clause is activated in the final year. Again, not saying it isn’t but doesn't make sense to me.
Some people in here think we should be looking at 20m. I don’t agree with much that gets fed out to certain people but this is probably one I do agree with.

I think the release clause in the final year is quite smart tbh. Leaves the buyer an exact sum they can buy the player for and no real tough negotiating.

Easy for both parties that way.

The instalments or up-front fee is an interesting one - Leeds just knocked back £60m from Man City which would be paid as £15m a year for 4 years in favour of £43m up front.

Obviously we're talking about far larger sums so it's a different conversation, but I wonder what we'd prefer out of say £8m up front or £11m over 3 years or something like that for one of our players.

The instalments or up-front fee is an interesting one - Leeds just knocked back £60m from Man City which would be paid as £15m a year for 4 years in favour of £43m up front.

Obviously we're talking about far larger sums so it's a different conversation, but I wonder what we'd prefer out of say £8m up front or £11m over 3 years or something like that for one of our players.
Sometimes the seller prefers it, and it’s reported as say 5m upfront then 5m in add ons/instalments.

There’s less pressure to spend the full 10m on transfers that window from the fan base and then the instalments can go to other areas of the club.

It probably depends on our current squad, and potential targets.

I imagine Leeds will want the money up front to fund their rebuild under a new manager. They'll have their targets and know what the price is.

With Aribo, it'll be interesting to see what the deal is. I still think it'll be £10m up front, with nothing else added.

It probably depends on our current squad, and potential targets.

I imagine Leeds will want the money up front to fund their rebuild under a new manager. They'll have their targets and know what the price is.

With Aribo, it'll be interesting to see what the deal is. I still think it'll be £10m up front, with nothing else added.
If it's a release clause, it generally has to paid up-front, in full

Yeah, that was the discussion, whether someone would meet the clause, or pay differently (installments for higher overall fee, less up front and a sell on etc.).

I think it suits us to get the money up front for our rebuild, in the blame way Leeds have.

Can we add on a sell on fee of f the release clause is set at 10m
No. If the release clause it met we need to abide by that and it’s automatically accepted.

Unless someone came in lower and we negotiated a sell on fee. Can’t really see that situation arising.

The release clause to be activated has to be paid in full to the football association of the selling club and not released until the deal is done either way.

That’s why Neymar’s lawyers went to the Spanish FA with the documents confirming the transfer of money for the PSG deal.

Can we add on a sell on fee if the release clause is set at 10m
Who knows…..if we saw the potential and installed a release cause, perhaps we were smart enough already to include a selling on fee too……although it maybe the opposite and it maybe Aribos agent who’s installed the release clause so he’s not stuck in Scottish football forever!

Can we add on a sell on fee if the release clause is set at 10m
Yes and no.

No - if a club comes in offers the release clause amount and pays it off in full upfront. The release clause value is then held with a third party until the deal is completed.

Yes - Clubs will know there's a release clause via agents but may not wish to pay upfront in favour of paying in installments. A deal is usually agreed which suits all parties. The cash portion could be more or less than the release clause but spread over installments with additional clauses put in as a sweetener for the selling club for agreeing to it.

Sometimes the seller prefers it, and it’s reported as say 5m upfront then 5m in add ons/instalments.

There’s less pressure to spend the full 10m on transfers that window from the fan base and then the instalments can go to other areas of the club.
This is true, I once sat next to a Morton director on a flight just after they had sold someone to Chelsea, he told me he refused the money up front because in his words it's like a feeding frenzy if everyone at the club thinks a big wedge has just landed. I think the player might have been David Hopkins.

Our transfer business has been shocking to date
If we need to sell a player then so be it

Gotta wonder wat gio asked for a budget tho

Dress it up how you like but this transfer window is becoming a real worry. We have 3 first 11 starters and key men out of contract in 12months, we appear to have no sort of budget in which to buy new players and have taken to resigning our aged players instead of refreshing the squad.

The Kent, Aribo & Morelos situations need addressed. They either sign new deals or they leave. The worry is the longer it goes on in this window the less likely it will be that we are able to bring in new players & the less likely we will receive bids that meet our valuation.

We have a major hurdle in terms of Champs League qualification looming and you would have thought we’d want business done early to help in that.

The capabilities of Ross Wilson are seriously in question for me now. He has major players and sellable assets with diminishing value who could walk for free in 12months, he is unable presumably to get them to sign new deals &/or is unable to sell for acceptable fees. We cannot operate a player trading model in those circumstances. He may be ‘comfortable’ with the situation but it worries me.

This transfer window is feeling a lot like last summer. We are in danger of standing still.

Dress it up how you like but this transfer window is becoming a real worry. We have 3 first 11 starters and key men out of contract in 12months, we appear to have no sort of budget in which to buy new players and have taken to resigning our aged players instead of refreshing the squad.

The Kent, Aribo & Morelos situations need addressed. They either sign new deals or they leave. The worry is the longer it goes on in this window the less likely it will be that we are able to bring in new players & the less likely we will receive bids that meet our valuation.

We have a major hurdle in terms of Champs League qualification looming and you would have thought we’d want business done early to help in that.

The capabilities of Ross Wilson are seriously in question for me now. He has major players and sellable assets with diminishing value who could walk for free in 12months, he is unable presumably to get them to sign new deals &/or is unable to sell for acceptable fees. We cannot operate a player trading model in those circumstances. He may be ‘comfortable’ with the situation but it worries me.

This transfer window is feeling a lot like last summer. We are in danger of standing still.
I guess part of the problem is that we could do our business now and get player A,B and C on the cheap, or we can wait until we sell and use the money to get player D, E and F.
Players D, E and F are better, but we can't afford them right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back