The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you mentioned scouting then?
I don’t believe he over rules the manager but when he came in we were told he had an extensive contact book , when is he going to start using it?

When the board give him a workable budget?

So many of our constraints are budgetary. We need to sell in order to invest but we need clubs to actually bid and match our valuations.

I’m only interested in his footballing ability. I don’t think he’s better than our first choice midfielders and Aberdeen would probably want a fee that we shouldn’t be paying for a squad player. If he was available on a bosman he’d be worth a punt.
Could he play in this side, and not be out of place?

So you mentioned scouting then?
I don’t believe he over rules the manager but when he came in we were told he had an extensive contact book , when is he going to start using it?

People keep saying this is some sort of excuse, but it's absolutely a factor - we've been financially hamstrung for most of the time he's been here.

The pandemic was an absolute killer that no one could have predicted. I hear people give it "ooh, pandemic blanket alert" when it's mentioned, but it impacted football financially like nothing before. We were particularly hit hard by it.

We've made signings that haven't just been players he's worked with or players we've played against - many of them. When he came here, we had a strong squad that is difficult to improve upon without serious cash. We've not had serious cash.

The criticisms of Wilson frustrate me because they too often seem to ignore the realities of both the job he does and the circumstances football is in.

People keep saying this is some sort of excuse, but it's absolutely a factor - we've been financially hamstrung for most of the time he's been here.

The pandemic was an absolute killer that no one could have predicted. I hear people give it "ooh, pandemic blanket alert" when it's mentioned, but it impacted football financially like nothing before. We were particularly hit hard by it.

We've made signings that haven't just been players he's worked with or players we've played against - many of them. When he came here, we had a strong squad that is difficult to improve upon without serious cash. We've not had serious cash.

The criticisms of Wilson frustrate me because they too often seem to ignore the realities of both the job he does and the circumstances football is in.

Good post mate

Theres a lot of fair and balanced points that can be made for both sides of the debate. Unfortunately, like everything else on the internet, it becomes polarised. Extremism is the name of the game here, hes either amazing or shite. Nothing inbetween exists.

Any more signings like Ramsey and we‘ll be hamstrung for years to come.

I'm afraid if Lewis Ferguson, is the best we can come up with for next season. Then we are absolutely fucked, before a ball is even kicked

Someone pointed out to me that given how keen Barry Ferguson is to tell journalists everything, if there was anything to this you'd expect the Daily Record to be all over it.

I suspect we're discussing a baseless rumour here.

I don't really care whether we sign him or not but the dislike for Ferguson is a bit OTT.

If I could choose Aberdeen Lewis Ferguson or Aberdeen Ryan Jack then it'd be Ferguson all day long. Some players, like Jack, excel under better coaches and in a better team and I reckon Ferguson would do just that.

I’ve nothing against Lewis Ferguson and wish him well of good stock.

What I will say is on what planet does he get into our starting 11 when we have Arfield, Aribo, Kamara, Jack, Lundstram Davis and Lowrie not to mention McCann wanting a slot. 7 players for 3 slots Lewis Ferguson doesn’t get a look in for me.

So why is it even mentioned
I think he would rotate with Jack who cant play twice a week and gets injured regularly, davis was in and out last season, lowry and aribo wont be playing as a cdm, mcCann didnt get much game time, Ferguson albeit for Aberdeen is an established player in the league. Gio has been playing Kamara closer to the strikers, same with Arfield. So really he would be fighting with Davis Jack and Lundstram for one of the two cdm slots.

There are better players out there but i think if we could get him for 2.5 he would be on a lower wage than most of our current midfield and he could be in squad for the longterm.

Could he play in this side, and not be out of place?

We’ve got enough central midfielders who “don’t look out of place”. If we’re spending money on another one he needs to improve us. I don’t think Ferguson does that and I think Aberdeen would want a fee that would be too high for us to spend on a squad player. As I said, if he was available on a Bosman I’d take him.

People completely skip over the fact he's had budgetary constraints. Oddly the one window in which he hasn't had any, we signed Hagi, Mclaughlin, Bassey, Balogun, Roofe and Itten, with Itten being the only one who was a major misstep. Yet nobody credits him for that window, instead they favour being hyper focused on the three windows he's had basically zero budget for.

Itten's an interesting case study actually, we did our due diligence on him, he was scoring goals for fun in Switzerland, recently capped by the Swiss and he flunked at Ibrox. It just goes to show you, every signing is a gamble, whether you spend money or you don't.

There’s bargains out there with a bit of proper scouting. We got Alfie, Borna, Bassey and Kamara for about 2.5M combined.

We clearly scout numerous parts of the world, the issue will always be our budget. Until the player trading model takes off, the budget is always going to be the stumbling block.

I’ve nothing against Lewis Ferguson and wish him well of good stock.

What I will say is on what planet does he get into our starting 11 when we have Arfield, Aribo, Kamara, Jack, Lundstram Davis and Lowrie not to mention McCann wanting a slot. 7 players for 3 slots Lewis Ferguson doesn’t get a look in for me.

So why is it even being mentioned?
Because more than likely we’ll be losing 3 maybe even 4 of them next year.

Ferguson is a good player and will improve under gio and playing with better players.

Is this Ferguson rumour coming from some attention seeker on twitter?
I imagine any interest that we may have in Ferguson is coming from the fact he's 22 years old, a Rangers fan and is establishing himself in the international side with nearly 200 professional games under his belt (with a 1 in 5 scoring record) at the same level we currently play at.

People completely skip over the fact he's had budgetary constraints. Oddly the one window in which he hasn't had any, we signed Hagi, Mclaughlin, Bassey, Balogun, Roofe and Itten, with Itten being the only one who was a major misstep. Yet nobody credits him for that window, instead they favour being hyper focused on the three windows he's had basically zero budget for.

Itten's an interesting case study actually, we did our due diligence on him, he was scoring goals for fun in Switzerland, recently capped by the Swiss and he flunked at Ibrox. It just goes to show you, every signing is a gamble, whether you spend money or you don't.

My favourite bit of commentary on Wilson was someone on Twitter saying "we got to a European final despite him, not due to anything he done".

Because hiring Gio for the job in the efficient way he did was clearly nothing to do with him...

We can’t take a punt at that value.

Getting “most of our money back” wouldn’t be a positive.

We're going to have to get used to the idea of players around the £2m mark being punts in the main. That's what we need to be able to do.

I understand we haven't been able to afford that these last couple of years, but once we're in a balanced place financially, we'll see many a signing like that.

My favourite bit of commentary on Wilson was someone on Twitter saying "we got to a European final despite him, not due to anything he done".

Because hiring Gio for the job in the efficient way he did was clearly nothing to do with him...
There wasn’t a person on here that wouldn’t have hired Gio it was hardly a left field masterstroke from Wilson FFS.

I don’t agree with blaming him for everything but showering him with praise for hiring Gio would also be over the top.

It's reached a level of criticism that I honestly cannot see a 'redemption' for him, which is mental. He's doing the bidding of the board, that's who he answers too. That's who control the purse strings. Too many people just don't understand what his job role actually is and auto blame him for things that are outwith his control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back