The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you actually articulate a response that can explain why you disagree with me or is this all you can say because actually, you've been talking nonsense?

Oh let me guess you'll be along in a minute to tell me that you're just not willing to engage with me lol

Not really! I know we have been looking at players and it was indicated that we had hoped to have signings made last week that for one reason or another haven't been concluded.

Names, positions etc are unknown to me. I'd suggest if we knew/expected Aribo was leaving a replacement for him would have been targeted.
Interesting.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t sign a direct replacement for Aribo.

Just an opinion, not been told anything :))

Aribo deal is worth £6m, shambles. Nah it's worth £10m, it's a good deal. Naw, it isnae. Aye, it is. Naw, it isnae. Aye, it is. Naw, it isnae. Aye, it is. Naw, it isnae. Aye, it is. Naw, it isnae. Aye, it is. Naw, it isnae. Aye, it is. Naw, it isnae. Aye, it is. Naw, it isnae. Aye, it is. Naw, it isnae. Aye, it is. Naw, it isnae. Aye, it is. Naw, it isnae. Aye, it is.
Sounds like every thread on the lounge :D

Since 2012 we’ve lost more than £100 million. I’d suggest all of that money and more has been spent on the team, just not all in a single transfer window. Were you asleep when we were repeatedly told that investment would be front loaded and then we would work a trading model? We front loaded and never traded for 4 seasons. I know that level of money appears to be meaningless to some but for those who have put it up I think taking a prudent approach to running the club is more than appropriate. People talk as if we don’t have a wage bill to service. Money isn’t going to shareholders, it’s all in the club being spent, what’s hard to understand about that?
Pointless replying to him mate, he’s the most negative poster on here. You could go into a thread full of birds scuds and he’d still be moaning about the shape and size of their tits. Absolute weapon of a guy.

In the space of 6 months we'll have pulled in potentially around £28 million in transfer fees, with only one of those sold a first pick who was in the last year of his contract. Yet we have folk who probably, like me, can barely run a current account shouting about how incompetent the club are, lunacy.

Folk have wanted a player trading model, this is it, yet there is still people acting hysterical.
Spot on, some absolute crackpots on this thread.

For me, with Aribo away, we are RW and an attacking mid light for these qualifiers. Aribo could’ve played either of those roles and would’ve been a definite starter if he was here. Work to do.
Yup, work to do now. I'm hopeful that this has been in the pipeline for a good couple of weeks and we've got something lined up already. That is how it should work.

Jordan is sound. Sure, he annoyed people with his tweet a while back about his reporting on an issue we were linked with, and the response to it, but overall, he's an ally of ours in the media and he does a good job at it.

People so often want blindly-loyal partizans fighting our corner, sometimes even our own fan media should be critical and even cynical about the actions of our team. It's healthy, even if it's in error. We have to allow him the room to probe tough topics.

He’s a grass

Where did Ornstein mention £6m?
Thought I saw it in one of his early tweets last night but can’t find it now mate. Might have got confused with Romano. Now catching up with later reports from The Athletic saying a sell-on clause might be a possibility so it’s clearly still a ‘moving feast’ on what the deal could actually turn out to be.

Interesting.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t sign a direct replacement for Aribo.

Just an opinion, not been told anything :))
What would a direct replacement for Aribo be though? We may look to target one aspect of his role rather than replace the player, if that makes sense.

Nah we're getting £6m up front for one of our best players who's just scored in a European final. We may be getting add-ons but these will be dependent on appearances and other caveats which are not guaranteed. Meanwhile same club is paying Man City DOUBLE for a player who's played two cup games in his entire career.

Some folk like you are absolutely dying to defend everything we do because you're such a bigger and better fan than the rest of us, that's great.

I call it as I see it. The boy is worth a lot more than his release clause, so we should AT LEAST be getting the £10m up front.

To accept only £6m upfront is bad business. Call me names and insult my intelligence all you want, it doesn't change what it is.
I agree we should be getting the £10m up front but unfortunately for us we could've lost Aribo for free next season and clubs know this. Man City have a lot of clout in transfers and aren't scared to knock back an offer from a club.

It was a case of take the best offer we can get as we cannot afford to lose a huge asset on a free.

Nah we're getting £6m up front for one of our best players who's just scored in a European final. We may be getting add-ons but these will be dependent on appearances and other caveats which are not guaranteed. Meanwhile same club is paying Man City DOUBLE for a player who's played two cup games in his entire career.

Some folk like you are absolutely dying to defend everything we do because you're such a bigger and better fan than the rest of us, that's great.

I call it as I see it. The boy is worth a lot more than his release clause, so we should AT LEAST be getting the £10m up front.

To accept only £6m upfront is bad business. Call me names and insult my intelligence all you want, it doesn't change what it is.
Players are only worth what the offer is though.

You say he’s worth more than his £10m released clause, if no one offers £10m then sadly the reality is he’s not worth £10m.

You thinking he’s worth it means nothing if the offers don’t come in.

You think a striker is our biggest priority?

Would far rather sign a CB, CM or RW personally.

We have 2 proper strikers (Sakala is far better in a wider position), one of whom prefers to play with a partner. Given that we'll be alternating between a 4-2-3-1 and a 3-5-2 this season, and one striker has injury problems when overplayed, we desperately need another one in.

Let's not forget Roofe, Sakala, Wright, Arfield, Aribo & Hagi have all played that RW position but I agree we need a first choice there.

We have 6 centre backs in Goldson, Bassey, Souttar, Helander, Katic (good enough as a 4th choice) and King. Sands can also play there, as can Lundstram in a back 3.

Striker is our most pressing need by far. Not having Morelos fit and Roofe being suspended cost us massively against a team we should've beaten last season in Malmo. Good to see we're addressing our most urgent need first.

If we now get a RW, a box-to-box centre mid (ideally left footed) and a goalscoring attacking mid, we're pretty set now.

The reason we aren't getting 10M up front is clearly because we feel we have agreed a better overall deal by taking less up front with add ons/sell ons. Not rocket science.

What he is worth doesn't matter given he has a 10M release clause.

I honestly think there are sad bastards from the unwashed that stir up shit on here and folk take the bait and lose their shit!

They will be in bed lying next to their sister laughing at the panty wetters this morning!

What would a direct replacement for Aribo be though? We may look to target one aspect of his role rather than replace the player, if that makes sense.
Yeah, I get what you mean due to his ability in a number of roles.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t sign another number 10, is what I meant.

My absolute priority is a right winger, anything after that is a bonus for me.

In the space of 6 months we'll have pulled in potentially around £28 million in transfer fees, with only one of those sold a first pick who was in the last year of his contract. Yet we have folk who probably, like me, can barely run a current account shouting about how incompetent the club are, lunacy.

Folk have wanted a player trading model, this is it, yet there is still people acting hysterical.
The fees coming in to the club are encouraging but they have to be used to make us a better team and also bring in the next batch of players who fit into the ‘model’ and that we can look to develop & sell on. We can’t stop here with it.

Čolak doesn’t fit that ‘model’ but we also need experience and players to hit the ground running which he has and will hopefully do so it’s a balancing act. It’s a big summer.

I hope the Aribo money gives us a bit more flexibility in the market. I think we’ll see at least one other big sale also.

You’re a short term financial thinker. It seems very likely we are getting most paid up front, the rest in instalments (most transfer are done this way) and the most important part…the profit sell on percentage fee.

You are right, Aribo is worth more than 10 million but he is in the last year of his contract. Mane went to Bayern for 27mill plus 8mill of potential add ons. LESS then Man United signed Amad Diallo for (37 million). Who is worth more?
Short term financial thinker? Christ you should work in parliament mate :D

Actually the correct description would be risk adverse. We should absolutely not be accepting what is essentially a guaranteed £6m and a possible further £4m for a player of his calibre, especially when the buying club can comfortably afford it.

Not how I read it

Usually deals are announced as the full fee (even if paid over 3/4/5 years)

Most reports seem to indicate £6m fee that could rise to £10m based on add ons (such as appearances etc) with a significant sell on fee
It’s a very rare thing for me, and it worries me greatly, but for once - and probably just the once - I find myself agreeing with your generally pessimistic take on things.

Think I need a lie down now.:(

:)

Kalvin Phillips is 27 is December.

He’s just been bought for £45m.

Tbf half that fee is for his fancy shoes

FPaSKutaUAg6kGn.jpg

I agree we should be getting the £10m up front but unfortunately for us we could've lost Aribo for free next season and clubs know this. Man City have a lot of clout in transfers and aren't scared to knock back an offer from a club.

It was a case of take the best offer we can get as we cannot afford to lose a huge asset on a free.
But with a couple months left till the window shuts, why are we caving in as soon as the offer comes in? Why couldn't we at least try and play hardball? What message does that give to other clubs sniffing about Morelos and Bassey?

He's 26 in a few weeks and 27/28 year olds don't tend to move for that much money unless they're top drawer.

Can't agree with that. He will just be entering his prime at that age and could easily command a big fee if he impresses at Southampton.

Chris Wood just got sold for £25M at the age of 30.

Since 2012 we’ve lost more than £100 million. I’d suggest all of that money and more has been spent on the team, just not all in a single transfer window. Were you asleep when we were repeatedly told that investment would be front loaded and then we would work a trading model? We front loaded and never traded for 4 seasons. I know that level of money appears to be meaningless to some but for those who have put it up I think taking a prudent approach to running the club is more than appropriate. People talk as if we don’t have a wage bill to service. Money isn’t going to shareholders, it’s all in the club being spent, what’s hard to understand about that?

We have assets. Sell them and buy again. It's what most clubs in world football do. Simple.

Can't agree with that. He will just be entering his prime at that age and could easily command a big fee if he impresses at Southampton.

Chris Wood just got sold for £25M at the age of 30.

I think most would agree that was a mental signing but typically players in their late 20s don't move for big sums.

Yeah, I get what you mean due to his ability in a number of roles.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t sign another number 10, is what I meant.

My absolute priority is a right winger, anything after that is a bonus for me.
It may be the right side we prioritise. Hopefully it will be.

Leave them to it Tags - Most are scared of what their celtic supporting pals will say about it.

We have some utter shitebags in our support.

Short term financial thinker? Christ you should work in parliament mate :D

Actually the correct description would be risk adverse. We should absolutely not be accepting what is essentially a guaranteed £6m and a possible further £4m for a player of his calibre, especially when the buying club can comfortably afford it.
But we clearly haven't accepted that - why would we?!

If we have accepted less up front it's because we think we will earn more than 10M overall.

Because teams don't usually pay big money for players after 27/28...

£27m Chris Wood
£27m Mat Hummels
£31m Leonardo Bonucci then again for £37m
£31.5m Jasper Cilliesen
£32m Gabriel Batistuta
£34m Radja Nainggolan
£37m Paulinho
£54m Miralem Pjanic
£105m Cristiano Ronaldo
£75m Gonzalo Higuain
£57m Diego Costa
£12m Fernando Llorente
£17m Olivier Giroud
£21m Zlatan Ibrahimovic
£22m Nikolia Kalinic
£25m Marko Arnautovic
£27m Samuel Eto'o
£28m Diego Milito
£29m Antony Modeste

Plenty players over 27/28 have moved for big fees. That's a few of them.

£6m with add-ons is ridiculous for a player like Aribo. If the deal is structured that way and he picks up an ACL injury in his first game for Southampton those add-ons might never be paid.

If it's £6m upfront with £4m in installments over months or years that's dreadful as well get the whole £10m up front or no deal.

The happy clappers will defend anything this board or Wilson do cause they think it's perfectly acceptable for a club like Rangers to be skint even after a European final with record turnover.

Players are only worth what the offer is though.

You say he’s worth more than his £10m released clause, if no one offers £10m then sadly the reality is he’s not worth £10m.

You thinking he’s worth it means nothing if the offers don’t come in.
But there's months left of the transfer window? Clubs will come in with their lowest offer obviously. We should be holding out at least.

It's been said a million times that Gerrard was promised money by the board at the end of our 55 season. Money that was never spent.

If we're genuinely potless after the season we've just had then we're a lot worse off than I thought.

And things change…

The directors own businesses could have faced unforeseen challenges, the relationship with Dave King may have caused issues over how funding is structured etc.

Grownups accept that, but Gerrard still had two opportunities to raise cash through selling players and reinvesting (he didn’t want to do that), or by beating Malmo (he completely fucked that).

Instead of knuckling down and getting the best out of the players who eventually took us to a Europa League Final, he threw the toys out the pram and made it clear as day to the squad he was phoning it in.

Finally, if you’re in anyway struggling to understand why we may well be potless this year, have a look back at the last 5 years worth of accounts (particularly the most heavily Covid affected year with the deferred wages, HMRC payments and bounce back loans etc), familiarise yourself once again with the Mike Ashley situation and ponder how the fallout between King and Park may have effected future spending plans.

We were told since 2016 that spending was front-loaded, and that we would need to become self-sufficient.

Well, here we are.

220 odd pages bemoaning a lack of a player trading model and no new signings.

Here we are on the brink of selling a player for a massive profit compared to what he cost (and that's on the back of excellent service from him on the pitch) and signing a new player.

Some posters on here? Still moaning.

I swear some of our support just use Rangers as an outlet for frustration for their own personal failings. And this isn't a dig at negative posters, I've been negative on a number of issues before and no doubt will be in the future. But if you are finding ways to twist narratives to be constantly raging about Rangers I'd suggest logging off and finding the root cause of your constant search for negativity.

Aw man this place is excruciating.

Just pack the forum in. It's run its course.

I wonder how many moaning at the Aribo fee were on the original thread saying we had to accept the £8m from Sevilla for Alfie?

Thank got there's a game on Saturday, we at least we know they'll be in the match thread for 3 hours.

But with a couple months left till the window shuts, why are we caving in as soon as the offer comes in? Why couldn't we at least try and play hardball? What message does that give to other clubs sniffing about Morelos and Bassey?
Clubs know we can't play hardball and there's no point keeping a player who's made up his mind he wants to leave.

Hopefully we can be in a position soon where we can tell clubs to come back with a better offer.

We're still getting the £10m and a sell on clause.

£6m with add-ons is ridiculous for a player like Aribo. If the deal is structured that way and he picks up an ACL injury in his first game for Southampton those add-ons might never be paid.

If it's £6m upfront with £4m in installments over months or years that's dreadful as well get the whole £10m up front or no deal.

The happy clappers will defend anything this board or Wilson do cause they think it's perfectly acceptable for a club like Rangers to be skint even after a European final with record turnover.
Paying 99p for a 99 is a bad deal if you drop the ice cream.

I'd still take my chances though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back