The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Short term financial thinker? Christ you should work in parliament mate :D

Actually the correct description would be risk adverse. We should absolutely not be accepting what is essentially a guaranteed £6m and a possible further £4m for a player of his calibre, especially when the buying club can comfortably afford it.
Okay let’s say we don’t accept it. Do we keep him for the year and lose him for nothing?

What would you do if you had the decision to make?

£27m Chris Wood
£27m Mat Hummels
£31m Leonardo Bonucci then again for £37m
£31.5m Jasper Cilliesen
£32m Gabriel Batistuta
£34m Radja Nainggolan
£37m Paulinho
£54m Miralem Pjanic
£105m Cristiano Ronaldo
£75m Gonzalo Higuain
£57m Diego Costa
£12m Fernando Llorente
£17m Olivier Giroud
£21m Zlatan Ibrahimovic
£22m Nikolia Kalinic
£25m Marko Arnautovic
£27m Samuel Eto'o
£28m Diego Milito
£29m Antony Modeste

Plenty players over 27/28 have moved for big fees. That's a few of them.
Half the players on that list are superstars to be fair

Had a look at The Saints forum to see their views which are pretty positive but one thing that comes across is their disdain for Ross Wilson and how he spent a fortune on crap while getting lower fees than he should when selling.

They expect the 6m figure to be accurate based on Wilson's previous.

Their words, not mine.

Okay let’s say we don’t accept it. Do we keep him for the year and lose him for nothing?

What would you do if you had the decision to make?
I'd wait another 4-5 weeks since we're at the start of the transfer window. Do you disagree with that?

£27m Chris Wood
£27m Mat Hummels
£31m Leonardo Bonucci then again for £37m
£31.5m Jasper Cilliesen
£32m Gabriel Batistuta
£34m Radja Nainggolan
£37m Paulinho
£54m Miralem Pjanic
£105m Cristiano Ronaldo
£75m Gonzalo Higuain
£57m Diego Costa
£12m Fernando Llorente
£17m Olivier Giroud
£21m Zlatan Ibrahimovic
£22m Nikolia Kalinic
£25m Marko Arnautovic
£27m Samuel Eto'o
£28m Diego Milito
£29m Antony Modeste

Plenty players over 27/28 have moved for big fees. That's a few of them.

I don't think using some of the best players of a generation is an accurate reflection of the transfer market in general.

If Aribo has a brilliant season and gets another move, happy days.

Nice to see Robertson and Wilson share a login.

No we don’t.

Heaping far too much pressure on Lowry based on a few appearances last season.

Aribo played nearly every game for us last season.
The bottom line - therein lies one of our problems.

He played every game even though he went through a long spell of not kicking his own arse after the AFCON, yet was still in the team every week.

We need to invest the money wisely. We’ve been ‘fed’ news that we already had around £6m to spend, that should surely be closer to £10m with the Aribo money.

£2m out for for Colak gives us £7m left after all fees etc, we can do something with that.

Lowry’s a special case though, don’t write him off just yet.

Lowry is too young to seriously suggest he's taking Aribo's place.

We need a replacement for Aribo, simple as that. Lowry's time will come but this season is all about getting more game time (taking Arfields minutes for example). Hopefully the club know / realise this.

Sane went for £45m, hes 30
Sterling about to go for £50m, hes 27
Lewandoski about to go for £50m

There's about £200m worth in 4 players who are 27 or above

Again just nonsense

Players proven at the highest level.

Using someone like Lewandowski who was arguably the best player in the world for the last couple of years isn't making the strong point you think it is.

He played every game even though he went through a long spell of not kicking his own arse after the AFCON, yet was still in the team every week.

We need to invest the money wisely. We’ve been ‘fed’ news that we already had around £6m to spend, that should surely be closer to £10m with the Aribo money.

£2m out for for Colak gives us £7m left after all fees etc, we can do something with that.

That was prior to Itten going as well I think.

Had a look at The Saints forum to see their views which are pretty positive but one thing that comes across is their disdain for Ross Wilson and how he spent a fortune on crap while getting lower fees than he should when selling.

They expect the 6m figure to be accurate based on Wilson's previous.

Their words, not mine.
Hasn’t had a chance to spend fortune on crap here, to be fair :))

The players he’s spent transfer fees on have been three hits (Roofe, Hagi & Bassey), one flop (Itten) and one who’s yet to really be seen (Zukowski).

Was able to get £12m, rising to £16m for a prospect, where the buying clubs opening bid was £4m.

Certainly doing better here, than he was there.

If their views are accurate.

Last edited:
Clubs know we can't play hardball and there's no point keeping a player who's made up his mind he wants to leave.

Hopefully we can be in a position soon where we can tell clubs to come back with a better offer.

We're still getting the £10m and a sell on clause.
Your response here perfectly illustrates why normal fans can't run football clubs and should be nowhere near the board.

"Clubs know we can't play hardball" you've literally plucked that out thin air.

We need a replacement for Aribo, simple as that. Lowry's time will come but this season is all about getting more game time (taking Arfields minutes for example). Hopefully the club know / realise this.
I honestly think all this ‘too young’ stuff is nonsense, it’s from a fanbase that’s been conditioned to the idea over a good few years.

Lowry’s good enough, irrespective of age, and he should be playing 30+ games this year.

He should be starting a fair number of them.

What about Romano?

"Southampton are closing on Joe Aribo deal. It's more than advanced with £10m fee to be agreed with Rangers very soon, player keen as The Athletic reported"
So if we agree a £10m upfront fee then I have no problem?

It's pretty clear that I'm objecting to £6m plus add ons

We had to sell Aribo no matter how we look at it, last year of contract and a transfer fee that any team in the EPL wouldn't think twice about.
This is the first time we have lost one of the starting 11 so we now wait to see if the board have a plan to replace him?
Lowery is not a direct replacement he is a young lad and should not have the expectation humped on him that some on this forum are expecting.

What?? Point was made that hardly any players go for big money from 27, theres about 20 odd examples been made on this thread!!

In no way shape or form was Joe Aribo being compared t any of them in terms of ability, but I think you know that

20 odd examples of top players moving.

I'm hoping the Colak signing is from the Itten fee so not eating in to any cash being used from the Aribo sale.

What if Gio thinks he’s ready?

Players proven at the highest level.

Using someone like Lewandowski who was arguably the best player in the world for the last couple of years isn't making the strong point you think it is.
Saying that players over 27 rarely go for big fees then having over 20 examples given to you in 5 mins isnt exactly proving your point though is it?

You'll be along to tell us about a 27 yr old + Celtic player that went for money soon enough though, cant wait...

Let’s wait and see who we bring in first of all before wanting Wilson knighted

We sold Patterson (and rightly so) for a good fee and brought in a Polish lad who’s barely had a sniff

Let’s see how much of the Aribo funds are reinvested

Because as it stands, we’re about to lose a key first 11 player and have already been needing a first 11 right winger and arguably a first 11 goal scoring midfielder

It’s all well and good selling players but if we don’t get suitable replacements in then the model doesn’t work.
Agreed a player trading model needs you to be selling players for big profits but then investing the money received on the next up and coming youngsters so you can start the cycle again.

I thought we’d be looking at bringing in some young first teamers this window (age 21-23). Might still happen I suppose.

Have you seen the latest?

"We've sold him for a massive profit versus what we paid" hahaha

Some folk on here could make ebola sound like a trip to the Bahamas if Rangers were trying to punt it.

It's a dreadful deal no matter how it's structured. We should have never allowed ourselves to get into this position in the first place

Deals for Aribo, Morelos and Kent should have been done last summer not 12 months before contracts are up leaving us without any leverage.

If Rangers go out of the champions league I dread to think what we'll end up selling Morelos for.

What if Gio thinks he’s ready?

Then he's the manager and I'm just a poster on Follow Follow %^*& sakes. What are you trying to get at? I'm saying I think its ridiculous and far too much pressure on a young talent to ask him to step up and fill Aribo's boots next year.

What?? Point was made that hardly any players go for big money from 27, theres about 20 odd examples been made on this thread!!

In no way shape or form was Joe Aribo being compared t any of them in terms of ability, but I think you know that
There are 20 odd examples of players who are on another level to Joe Aribo going for those kinds of fees.

220 odd pages bemoaning a lack of a player trading model and no new signings.

Here we are on the brink of selling a player for a massive profit compared to what he cost (and that's on the back of excellent service from him on the pitch) and signing a new player.

Some posters on here? Still moaning.

I swear some of our support just use Rangers as an outlet for frustration for their own personal failings. And this isn't a dig at negative posters, I've been negative on a number of issues before and no doubt will be in the future. But if you are finding ways to twist narratives to be constantly raging about Rangers I'd suggest logging off and finding the root cause of your constant search for negativity.
Yasssssssssss :D

The only real thing I have a gripe about is who we are using for releasing info… Jonny McFarlane has shown nothing but complete contempt for rangers for 5/6 years and he’s now operating as a Rangers Fan to make a wage.

Get him to %^*&. He’s a specky wee knob end and should be ostracised from Ibrox!

Other than that I completely agree with your post :D

We have 2 proper strikers (Sakala is far better in a wider position), one of whom prefers to play with a partner. Given that we'll be alternating between a 4-2-3-1 and a 3-5-2 this season, and one striker has injury problems when overplayed, we desperately need another one in.

Let's not forget Roofe, Sakala, Wright, Arfield, Aribo & Hagi have all played that RW position but I agree we need a first choice there.

We have 6 centre backs in Goldson, Bassey, Souttar, Helander, Katic (good enough as a 4th choice) and King. Sands can also play there, as can Lundstram in a back 3.

Striker is our most pressing need by far. Not having Morelos fit and Roofe being suspended cost us massively against a team we should've beaten last season in Malmo. Good to see we're addressing our most urgent need first.

If we now get a RW, a box-to-box centre mid (ideally left footed) and a goalscoring attacking mid, we're pretty set now.
I don’t disagree we should sign a striker but wouldn’t be spending the best part of £2m on a 3rd choice option personally.

Regarding CB, Goldson, Souttar and Bassey are the only 3 I’d be counting as CB’s ahead of next season. Even at that, I’d rather Bassey at LB. Helander is too injury prone, Katic isn’t good enough, King too young to rely on in a tough position and Sands isn’t good enough to be a CB for Rangers (might make it in midfield). Defo need another quality CB option.

Your response here perfectly illustrates why normal fans can't run football clubs and should be nowhere near the board.

"Clubs know we can't play hardball" you've literally plucked that out thin air.
So you're saying we should've waited and potentially lost him for free next season?

We could've said no to Southampton and they could've walked away from the deal leaving us without a sale and Aribo pissed off.

Instead we're getting £6m up front and £4m in installments with a sell on fee.

The club have a transfer plan they work with and that's to get the best deals possible and in this instance we have got the best deal possible for the club and player.

It's a dreadful deal no matter how it's structured. We should have never allowed ourselves to get into this position in the first place

Deals for Aribo, Morelos and Kent should have been done last summer not 12 months before contracts are up leaving us without any leverage.

If Rangers go out of the champions league I dread to think what we'll end up selling Morelos for.
Can we force them to sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back