The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Half the players on that list are superstars to be fair

So players over the age of 27/28 do go for fees?

There are plenty more examples too. We are paying £1.8m, give or take, for a 28 year old striker. Peanuts compared to what some 28 year old go for, superstars or not.

In the last few days Samba, Trezeguet, de Jong, Florenzi, Palinha, Sissoko, Minamino, Bruma, Milik, all over 27+ have gone on for more than what we are paying for Antonio Čolak.

It's ridiculous that some are getting wound up over a 28 year old signing.

If he is going for 6m quid it’s scandalous, and if true seems like the only people the club are good at getting money from is the fans!
It’s not £6 million. It’s £10 million as per his release deal.

We are getting £6 million up front, the other £4 million will be paid in instalments as is the norm with any transfer.

We may also have the added Brucey bonus of a 15% sell on which could see us rake in another few mill if he does well and gets a big move. We await details on that.

I’m gutted he’s away but we need to accept it.

Clubs rarely ever pay the full fee up front, even those with release clauses clubs will negotiate to spread out the payments and include add-ons. Clubs who hold out for the entire free up front usually do so because they have all the power. Aribo could sign for another club for free in six months. We aren't in position to demand the 10 million all in one go or say no deal. There will be add-ons for things like games played, Southampton avoiding relegation and perhaps harder things like qualifying for euopean football.

I'd wait another 4-5 weeks since we're at the start of the transfer window. Do you disagree with that?
100% disagree. We will make the 10 million release clause plus have the potential to make more down the line. Crucially, we get money in now to get replacements in. Your model is very risky, could leave us with nothing and no money for a replacement.

Then he's the manager and I'm just a poster on Follow Follow %^*& sakes. What are you trying to get at? I'm saying I think its ridiculous and far too much pressure on a young talent to ask him to step up and fill Aribo's boots next year.
That’s all fine mate. I see where you’re coming from and he’s certainly not going to play 72 games this year.

However, there definitely needs to be a shift in mentality from the club, the fans and whoever else is involved, as far too many look at a Rangers player and the first question is ‘how old is he?’ instead of ‘how good is he?’

Lowry’s good enough to start - and run - games against a good few of the clubs in this league.

But we are agreed numerous players over 27 go for decent fees then? Not "rare" at all really
I'm not sure we are on the same page here. Is this with reference to us paying a fee for Colak (which I'm fine with), or is it about the fact that people are obsessed with a sell-on for Joe Aribo when the reality is he is highly unlikely to go for tens of millions in a couple of years time aged 28 odds?

Going off topic from the resident doomsday lovers, I’m pretty surprised there hasn’t been more outgoings.

I know you’d assume Gio would want to assess some of the players he hasn’t worked with before, but still, I’d have thought the analysis and stuff would have sufficed.

I don’t disagree we should sign a striker but wouldn’t be spending the best part of £2m on a 3rd choice option personally.

Regarding CB, Goldson, Souttar and Bassey are the only 3 I’d be counting as CB’s ahead of next season. Even at that, I’d rather Bassey at LB. Helander is too injury prone, Katic isn’t good enough, King too young to rely on in a tough position and Sands isn’t good enough to be a CB for Rangers (might make it in midfield). Defo need another quality CB option.
With our strikers, first place is up for grabs as they are hardly setting scoring records we need to be clinical upfront.

We have to bring quality in this window rather than squad fillers.

It still amounts to a guaranteed £10m *plus* a sell on fee.

Most transfers aren't the full fee up front. No real need for objections here to be fair.
Personally not bothered about a % sell-on. Of course it is prudent to have it in any deal, but I'm confused at why some people appear to be using it as justification for accepting an offer that is well below his market value, when the reality is that Aribo is unlikely to be going for vast transfer fees as he approaches his late 20s

I'm not sure we are on the same page here. Is this with reference to us paying a fee for Colak (which I'm fine with), or is it about the fact that people are obsessed with a sell-on for Joe Aribo when the reality is he is highly unlikely to go for tens of millions in a couple of years time aged 28 odds?

We shall leave it then, someone made the point that players over 27 "rarely" go for big money, I think thats been disproved many times over now

I don’t disagree we should sign a striker but wouldn’t be spending the best part of £2m on a 3rd choice option personally.

Regarding CB, Goldson, Souttar and Bassey are the only 3 I’d be counting as CB’s ahead of next season. Even at that, I’d rather Bassey at LB. Helander is too injury prone, Katic isn’t good enough, King too young to rely on in a tough position and Sands isn’t good enough to be a CB for Rangers (might make it in midfield). Defo need another quality CB option.
Katic could come back and be a better player and no one knows that, would I spend 2-3 million which gets you a gamble or stick with Katic who is more than good enough to play against the bottom half dross in the SPL! Yes of course he is.

Helander could fully recover, Jack could fully recover etc, Hagi could recover fully but that’s purely luck and down to the medical team to get them their but we do not need to spend on our defence or defensive midfield area.

Goal scoring is out issue and that’s 3 players

Colak is one sorted which leaves someone to replace Aribo and then a RW which we need to spend 10 - 15 million on.

If after selling Paterson, Aribo and reaching a European final then it would be disappointing to say the least and would show a severe lack of ambition by the board.

BUT I will wait until the window closes before I start flapping

Is it too hard for posters to understand that the money taken in last season (Paterson, Europe, Gerrard etc) is being used towards the running of the club. Money for signings is coming from sales. Itten money is funding the Colak signing. Future signings (hopefully!) will come from Aribo sale. Add in that we have been signing (potentially) future stars, this is model we have been crying out for for years. Yes, it's not been perfect and it's going to take time to master it. Like Ajax. But the board have at least, have a vision and are not throwing money about we don't have.

We shall leave it then, someone made the point that players over 27 "rarely" go for big money, I think thats been disproved many times over now
some players do. they're a level way above Aribo, who IMO will be unlikely to be making £20m plus moves in 2 years time after a couple of good seasons with southampton, aged approx 28.

For all the folk on here greetin, realistically we’ve held on to joe too long in terms of the duration of his contract, you’d have got at least £10m in your hand last season but I for one wouldn’t have traded last season’s achievements / memories including joe for an extra £4m up front!!

Where has the 6 mill plus add on stuff come from?
Romano said £6m.

Then the athletic said the total package will be £10m, but Rangers have agreed to that to include a significant sell on.

Some are interpreting that as we are getting £10m, just over a longer duration, to include a sell on (like myself) and others are interpreting it as we are getting £6m, then potentially more depending on performance.

Going off topic from the resident doomsday lovers, I’m pretty surprised there hasn’t been more outgoings.

I know you’d assume Gio would want to assess some of the players he hasn’t worked with before, but still, I’d have thought the analysis and stuff would have sufficed.
I think the 'deadwood' will likely be moved on nearer the end of the window

I do wonder whether there might be another one or two major departures in the next couple of weeks

With our strikers, first place is up for grabs as they are hardly setting scoring records we need to be clinical upfront.

We have to bring quality in this window rather than squad fillers.
If we’d have signed someone like Botheim I’d agree. Colak isn’t coming in as first choice. He’s an Itten replacement.

Is it too hard for posters to understand that the money taken in last season (Paterson, Europe, Gerrard etc) is being used towards the running of the club. Money for signings is coming from sales. Itten money is funding the Colak signing. Future signings (hopefully!) will come from Aribo sale. Add in that we have been signing (potentially) future stars, this is model we have been crying out for for years. Yes, it's not been perfect and it's going to take time to master it. Like Ajax. But the board have at least, have a vision and are not throwing money about we don't have.
We’re not quite at that stage, surely?

If we need £20m worth of sales and £40m worth of European runs just to stay above water, then we’re fucked mate :D

This is the stage now where regular player sales will now become vital, as much as it’ll kill some people.

Are we really bending over and accepting £6m + add ons for Aribo? A Nigerian international, one of our best players and scorer in Europa final? Easily a £20m player with an extra year on his contract?

But hey not to worry. Accept the derisory offer Rangers, we the fans will continue to plug the funding gap with even more expensive Europa League tickets this season and 48 quid training tops.
Calm down Pete, Aribo is a Nigerian International, he is one of our best players and a scorer in a Europa League final - he doesn't have an extra year on his contract though and £10m total is a good return for £300k.

Personally not bothered about a % sell-on. Of course it is prudent to have it in any deal, but I'm confused at why some people appear to be using it as justification for accepting an offer that is well below his market value, when the reality is that Aribo is unlikely to be going for vast transfer fees as he approaches his late 20s
'Justification for accepting an offer that is well below his market value'

He had a £10m clause in his contract, meaning we couldn't have gotten more than £10m - so we got £10m. What's the issue here?

No but sell them if they don't.

But did we even ask the question? By the sounds of it we didn't.
Why would Aribo sign a new deal, when he’s intending to leave? After all, it would have been his camp that made the release clause a deal breaker. Why would a team bid for him, when they can get him significantly cheaper in a year?

No different from Haaland.

For all the patter about us not caring about contracts, in the past 12 months we’ve extended: Kamara, King, Lowry, Goldson & a couple of others.

That’s 4 assets, two of our best prospects in years.

Wanting £10m up front is all well and good, but clubs will try their utmost to pay up. So we have agreed to this, but we got something we wanted, a sell on fee.

They come in and trigger the release clause, £10m up front is all we get. This way we get £10m plus the chance of more money in the future if/when he is sold on.

Katic could come back and be a better player and no one knows that, would I spend 2-3 million which gets you a gamble or stick with Katic who is more than good enough to play against the bottom half dross in the SPL! Yes of course he is.

Helander could fully recover, Jack could fully recover etc, Hagi could recover fully but that’s purely luck and down to the medical team to get them their but we do not need to spend on our defence or defensive midfield area.

Goal scoring is out issue and that’s 3 players

Colak is one sorted which leaves someone to replace Aribo and then a RW which we need to spend 10 - 15 million on.

If after selling Paterson, Aribo and reaching a European final then it would be disappointing to say the least and would show a severe lack of ambition by the board.

BUT I will wait until the window closes before I start flapping
Katic isn’t good enough for Rangers. Nice big guy but not of the quality required.

Helander I’d love to have fit and available but just can’t see it happening. Best defender in the league on his day.

Agreed re Aribo replacement and RW, needs serious money spent.

'Justification for accepting an offer that is well below his market value'

He had a £10m clause in his contract, so we couldn't have gotten more than £10m so we got £10m. What's the issue here?
The issue a lot of people seem to have is that it is a guaranteed £6m. not a guaranteed £10.m

Nah we're getting £6m up front for one of our best players who's just scored in a European final. We may be getting add-ons but these will be dependent on appearances and other caveats which are not guaranteed. Meanwhile same club is paying Man City DOUBLE for a player who's played two cup games in his entire career.

Some folk like you are absolutely dying to defend everything we do because you're such a bigger and better fan than the rest of us, that's great.

I call it as I see it. The boy is worth a lot more than his release clause, so we should AT LEAST be getting the £10m up front.

To accept only £6m upfront is bad business. Call me names and insult my intelligence all you want, it doesn't change what it is.

You don't have a clue if it is bad business or not, same as the rest of us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back