The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have got to hope that the reason we agreed to the initial fee only being £6 million, is that we know it would give us enough money to help us get our targets in sooner.

Personally think it's early enough in the window that we could've played hardball with Aribo and held out for more, but if accepting their offer now allows us to get the players we want in I wont have too many complaints.

There would be very little reason to accept an offer for Aribo so early in the window if we just sit on our arse and still don't bring anyone in with it.

Well you must know more than all of the sporting directors in football, because nobody was offering more than £6m. He went to the highest (only) bidder.
Nope, I don't, but obviously that precludes you and I both from having an opinion on this; not unless you happen to be a sporting director by any chance.

I'm of the same mind - without knowing that I don't think I can really judge it either way.

And it would seem there were no other offers, so that has a bearing as well.

I know it's not particularly fashionable on this thread, but I don't believe we'll have negotiated add-ons that are unachievable, or even difficult for Aribo to achieve.
I think it is safe to say that the reason for there being no other offers is Aribo already indicated to interested parties that he wants to go to Southampton. Interest in him from other EPL clubs has been pretty widely reported

You able to show us where it was reported as £10m plus add ons? @Coplandbear

That would have been a cracking deal right enough all things considered, not least of all given his release clause is £10m. Would have been awfully generous of Southampton to put wee extras on.

Really all depends on what the add ons are. Southampton staying up? Fine. Southampton to make the Champions League and Aribo to score 30 goals? Probably a really bad deal.

I would have preferred the clean £10m, but we'll only know if this was a good decision in hindsight.

Nope, I don't, but obviously that precludes you and I both from having an opinion on this; not unless you happen to be a sporting director by any chance.
Nope, but I know that none of them offered more than £6m up front. If they had, he'd have been going there.

I'd say £35m for Aribo is very plausible if he continues to develop down there. You quite often see fairly ordinary players move from PL club to other PL clubs for that sort of fee, someone like Alex Iwobi for example.
There are many several times more footballers who do not make the step up and fade away than who x6 their value in a couple of years, particularly at 25. It is a hell of a gamble and one I am not certain we should have even entertained.

I take it as 6m now, a further 4 m in installments plus a potential % on a sell on fee.
Not addons.
All transfers are paid in instalments. Clubs don’t generally have tens of millions just sitting in the bank for every window.

Also, if Southampton only have to pay £10m to meet the release clause then why would they allow there to be a sell on fee?

£6 million for Joe Aribo? We don't even know what the rest of the attachments amount to, but on that fee alone he is worth much more than that.
Exactly we don’t know the what the ins and outs of the deal are. Could be that once he’s played 20 games in the premier league we receive £2 million then receive the other £2 million when he plays 40 games. Not exactly terrible add ons.

No one actually knows the fee but some choose to be annoyed anyway(not saying you have) and it’s tiresome to read on every page. The same posters moaning over and over again like we didn’t already know their opinion from the first 20 times they’ve said it.

Most deals are paid in instalments, instalments aren’t add ons.

Add ons will be things appearances, goals, trophies etc.

The only guarantee if that structure is true is £6m. That on the face of it doesn’t seem a great deal for us.

All transfers are paid in instalments. Clubs don’t generally have tens of millions just sitting in the bank for every window.

Also, if Southampton only have to pay £10m to meet the release clause then why would they allow there to be a sell on fee?
The £10m fee isn’t negotiable upwards, but all other aspects are treated as a normal transfer.

Surprised Southampton agreed to a sell on if the modest fee of £10m, in Premier League terms, activated the release clause without any further conditions.
They probably see it as a win/win.

He does well, makes the team better, makes them a profit and that results in us having a cut of his big fee (and it would take a big fee to buy a Southampton player), or he's rubbish and they don't sell him anyway.

I think it is safe to say that the reason for there being no other offers is Aribo already indicated to interested parties that he wants to go to Southampton. Interest in him from other EPL clubs has been pretty widely reported

We've had many a report of interest in players before that hasn't come to anything. The most reported interest seemed to be Palace, Villa, Fulham and Forest outside of Southampton.

Not one report of any of them making a bid - I think the simpler answer, given they've all been signing midfielders in recent weeks, is that Southampton are the only ones who have bid so far.

Guess we know why the club was leaking the stuff to fan media /pushing the message about how aribo has been such a good value signing and how we'd stand to make a profit on him. Softening everyone up because they knew a section of the support would see it as a shit deal.

Is £6 million in today worth more to us than a settled European final goal scorer for the CL qualifiers and then the rest of the season? Hard to argue that it is. The potential for more cash is great, of course, but it still does not swing that balance too far.

The £10m fee isn’t negotiable upwards, but all other aspects are treated as a normal transfer.

If Southampton had offered £10m up front we wouldn't have been in a position to ask for any other clauses or the likes.

Or more accurately, we could have asked and they'd have just laughed at us!

Is £6 million in today worth more to us than a settled European final goal scorer for the CL qualifiers and then the rest of the season? Hard to argue that it is. The potential for more cash is great, of course, but it still does not swing that balance too far.

Settled is the key word there. Would he have been had we knocked this back? We'll never know, but that's another consideration as well.

We've had many a report of interest in players before that hasn't come to anything. The most reported interest seemed to be Palace, Villa, Fulham and Forest outside of Southampton.

Not one report of any of them making a bid - I think the simpler answer, given they've all been signing midfielders in recent weeks, is that Southampton are the only ones who have bid so far.
There is not a kick in the arse off 2 months of window left open, with English sides increasingly desperate for players towards the ends of the windows.

Cos there gambling on a quick sale like VVD.
They may think it's best to pay 6m now and the other 4m in installments. It leaves them more cash for other targets.
Fucked if I know I'm a chef restauranteur not a football club.

You able to show us where it was reported as £10m plus add ons? @Coplandbear

That would have been a cracking deal right enough all things considered, not least of all given his release clause is £10m. Would have been awfully generous of Southampton to put wee extras on.
Talk was £10 million plus a sell on this morning now that was from the Rangers review and four lads had a dream on Twitter.

Earlier reports said we weren't prepared to deal below £10 million.

£6 million upfront regardless of add ons and sell on clauses is poor imo.

Good post.

Flip side is we only get £6m because he doesnt meet the add ons and flops and we don’t get any sell on …

This guy is reliable by all accounts and he’s claiming £6m plus add ons.

Kind of makes many posters in this thread look silly by claiming all day it’s really £10m guaranteed plus a big sell on when it’s actually only guaranteed £6m which is poor IMO
Well, I'm shocked by your take on this ,shocked I tell thee

Indeed.

We are over a barrel to a degree, however if we have negotiated down to £6 million guaranteed from a position of a clause for £10 million and several interested clubs then it is more than a touch alarming.
You reckon we'd have been negotiated down from a £10m release clause to £6m, less than a full week into the transfer window and roughly 57 days to go? An EPL club with cash to burn?

You think we're over a barrel this early in the window, when there's potentially other clubs also interested in Aribo?

Come on man.

The only way we're not getting a guaranteed £10m for Joe Aribo is if the release clause didn't exist in the first place. Otherwise it's just silly to think otherwise.

That's my last post on the matter cos I'm mentally exhausted with it all.

The only thing that we know for sure is that we'll get a minimum £6m for Joe Aribo. We don't know what the eventual fee will be, but many have decided already that it's a bad deal for us.

Time will tell I guess.

Settled is the key word there. Would he have been had we knocked this back? We'll never know, but that's another consideration as well.
There is no indication at all that Joe would throw his toys out his pram if he was not allowed to move to the South coast and was instead asked to move next season for free, and a greater signing on fee, if he repeated his performances in the CL. He would be a moron to down tools. He is not a moron.

We don’t know what next few weeks will bring. Selling him and bringing in other targets could be the difference in us making it. We’ll never know.

If Southampton had offered £10m up front we wouldn't have been in a position to ask for any other clauses or the likes.

Or more accurately, we could have asked and they'd have just laughed at us!
Hence why I said ‘upwards’ mate.

Depends on where he wanted to go, I suppose.

Alternatively he sits tight and leaves for nothing to them next year, signing a pre contract in 6 months time.

I’m somewhat surprised that we couldn’t get £10m fee up front, or some form of guaranteed £10m fee. Caveat obviously being we don’t know what the add ons are, and how achievable they are. Then the sell on %.

I can’t imagine the add ons being that mental, considering they were getting him for a few gingey bottles anyway. Then again, will never know until the money comes in.
The general consensus seems that he had a fair few premier league teams that were interested. Palace being the most prominent among them, who to me seem a more attractive prospect than Southampton.

I also don’t see it likely that the add ons will equate to 66% of the upfront fee that was agreed. I think it’ll be considerably less than the £4m people seem to expect.

Aribo can go for nothing in 12 months. We need cash in to refresh the squad.

If Southampton are the only team bidding then they have us where they want us. We can’t compel them to give us more money, just because it’s not fair.

If we are to take umbrage with Rangers, it’s for letting the contract run down to this point. But if Aribo didn’t want to sign and nobody was bidding, then not much we could do there either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back