The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wilson’s laughable “relaxed” stance on contracts running down has created a situation where we’re selling Aribo for around a third of his realistic value.

I’m not sure why anyone would expect a different outcome with Morelos and Kent.

We’ve blindly backed this guy for over 2 years now and it’s coming home to roost.

And for those who champion the Patterson fee, that’s down to how good Nathan Patterson was and how he showed up in European games and internationals, plus his long contract and being happy to stay.
Maybe they have tried to get them on new deals previously , maybe gerrard said they must not be sold.

you cant blame when you dont know full details just like people are talking down the deal when no one really knows.

People also moaning about the release clause maybe that was only way to get them signed

There were rumours, but we are all getting emotional not knowing the truth mate.

If one of that group offered 10m unconditionally, it’s hard to believe that Rangers would have ignored it surely ?
Doesn’t really matter what Rangers do once Aribo decides where he wants to go. Alternatively he sits tight till January, signs a pre contract and leaves for heehaw.

Last edited:
I get that but there's plenty of time left in the window mate.

You're not telling me that if we had let it be known towards the end of the window (and after crucial CL qualifiers btw) that we were now willing to negotiate around £6m that other clubs wouldn't have come in for Joe Aribo.

There's obviously no way of telling but I'd be astonished if noone was interested at that price.
We probably could have but I'm guessing the club were keen to get it done early to give us time to source a replacement and get another deal or two over the line.

None of us know what the add ons are, so pointless getting annoyed about it.

The biggest lesson for me that the club need to learn is we need to start selling players earlier in their contracts (provided there is interest obviously)

What a horrendous bit of negotiating lmao.

Club wants a player with a £10m release clause and we negotiate away £4m of it. It's absolutely unbelievable really.

They will need to sell him for £26m for us to recoup that £4m that we gave away. (assuming an optimistic 20% sell on)

The addons absolutely better be achievable & realistic or else I'd hunt Wilson out the door.
You'd do nothing (except have a moan on here) :D

Anyone on here work for Rangers finance department or contracts department....... Didn't think so.

The fee is speculation to every single person in here and every reporter reporting it. No one will k ow the exact fee until/if it is even reported by the club.

Be happy we got something as in a few month he could sign a pre-contract and be away for nothing.

Getting him for again reported £300k and making any profit upwards of £4-5million (or whatever the deal is) is decent business. We wouldn't want him to run down his final year and be unhappy playing for us.

Romano and Ornstein both reporting it the same way mate.

They're about as reliable as it gets.

Have got to hope that the reason we agreed to the initial fee only being £6 million, is that we know it would give us enough money to help us get our targets in sooner.

Personally think it's early enough in the window that we could've played hardball with Aribo and held out for more, but if accepting their offer now allows us to get the players we want in I wont have too many complaints.

There would be very little reason to accept an offer for Aribo so early in the window if we just sit on our arse and still don't bring anyone in with it.

The problem we have with playing hardball is pissing Aribo off and he sits it out and signs a pre-contract in January.

He is worth, in our eyes, more than £10m, however its worth taking a chance of gettting £6m upfront and more than £4m with addons and sell on fee.

Anyone on here work for Rangers finance department or contracts department....... Didn't think so.

The fee is speculation to every single person in here and every reporter reporting it. No one will k ow the exact fee until/if it is even reported by the club.

Be happy we got something as in a few month he could sign a pre-contract and be away for nothing.

Getting him for again reported £300k and making any profit upwards of £4-5million (or whatever the deal is) is decent business. We wouldn't want him to run down his final year and be unhappy playing for us.
It was never £300k the overall deal was close to £2 million and Aribo and his representatives got a fair slice of it.

The more I think about it, the worse it appears. There is near enough 2 months of window left and there were reports of 4 clubs being interested. It does not make a huge deal of sense.
If we need to sell to kick start business, then would that be worth hanging about until the end of the window for the sake of an extra £1/2M up front?

Not much we can do but suck it up and accept it.

Let's hope the add ons are achievable, he goes on to do well and Southampton can get a big sale.

Time to move on, even if Kent, Morelos & Aribo all go this summer, they aren't the be all and end all. We'll move on and have new players to appreciate in the coming years.

Last edited:
You'd think we bought Aribo for 10m and sold him for 6m reading the comments, we've made a profit off a sale of a player who has given us 3 good Years.

"Once a player leaves Rangers it only goes down hill"
Same person..
"Why haven't they spent 15m on Aribo even with a year left"

Who was the last player we sold for good money who has done well? Track records matter in selling players.

Perspective and a little sense needs applied, f*ck me.

I'll get accused of being a "Wilson fanboy" or some such nonsense with this, but this point reminds me of an interview John Park gave about 9 months ago when talking about the Edouard deal.

"You look at Edouard; £9million. But then you include his wages for a couple of million, and then the sell-on [40 per cent profit on sale to PSG], is that value for money?"

He gave the impression he doesn't believe that sort of deal is worth it, and that he'd be far more driven by finding an Aribo than an Edouard as such. Given the sell on percentage, even if we're ignoring wages and sign on fees and the rest and taking the reported £18m as a factual number (no idea if it was), Celtic made a profit of £5.4m on Edouard. We've made £5.7m on Aribo, worst case scenario.

So yeah, I get that the £6m fee seems really low, but I do believe this deal will be structured in a way that suits both clubs. If Aribo really struggles, Southampton haven't paid too much. If he does what's expected, we'll get the £10m. If he shines and gets sold on for a profit, we'll get a share of that too. It's a risky one, but as I said earlier in the thread, I think it's a worthwhile risk in this case given how much he helped us make the money we did in Europe.

Wilson’s laughable “relaxed” stance on contracts running down has created a situation where we’re selling Aribo for around a third of his realistic value.

We’ve blindly backed this guy for over 2 years now and it’s coming home to roost.

And for those who champion the Patterson fee, that’s down to how good Nathan Patterson was and how he showed up in European games and internationals, plus his long contract and being happy to stay.
You do realise you can’t physically force a player to sign a contract don’t you? If they are offered a good one and don’t want to sign it then there isn’t much we can do about that.

Same thing as the people who seem to think we can force other teams to come in and spend big money on players.

We could be having these discussions about Kent and Alfie soon.

Really hope we can resign both because the thought of losing them both for less than their true value isn't great.

There were rumours, but we are all getting emotional not knowing the truth mate.

If one of that group offered 10m unconditionally, it’s hard to believe that Rangers would have ignored it sure

was probably the only concrete offer on the table and player might have wanted that move.

It was never £300k the overall deal was close to £2 million and Aribo and his representatives got a fair slice of it.
Regardless how much it was got a good few seasons out of him and made a profit should have been more but could be worse look at pogba! Well over 100 million wasted.

We could be having these discussions about Kent and Alfie soon.

Really hope we can resign both because the thought of losing them both for less than their true value isn't great.

Mate given the precedent we've set with Aribo here we could be looking at losing all 3 for less than £20m combined. Doesn't bare thinking about.

Let's face it, this fabled "model" often mentioned doesn't actually exist. In the context of we don't replace Aribo easily, whenever you desire that we keep a player you are told immediately that you have to get your head around the "buy low sell high" model. If the sale of Aribo for that reported fee is the expression of that model, I think I'll stick with wanting us to hold on to our best players. I hope Kent and Morelos sign extensions and continue as Rangers players, and won't ever be persuaded that a better alternative "model" exists that's better than that.

I’d be very surprised if they hadn’t mate.

OK mate. Maybe I’m too naive.

As a very high profile figure in Scottish football once said - ‘Football is the only industry in the world where laymen think they know better than experienced experts in the industry. They wouldn’t claim to know more than a tradesman, or an accountant or a lawyer’. lol

It's now widely reported that the fee for Aribo is £6m plus add ons and a sell on clause.

A few posters are taking that as we're only getting £6m when it's impossible to say for certain what the final fee will be.
Only guaranteed £6m

I'll get accused of being a "Wilson fanboy" or some such nonsense with this, but this point reminds me of an interview John Park gave about 9 months ago when talking about the Edouard deal.

"You look at Edouard; £9million. But then you include his wages for a couple of million, and then the sell-on [40 per cent profit on sale to PSG], is that value for money?"

He gave the impression he doesn't believe that sort of deal is worth it, and that he'd be far more driven by finding an Aribo than an Edouard as such. Given the sell on percentage, even if we're ignoring wages and sign on fees and the rest and taking the reported £18m as a factual number (no idea if it was), Celtic made a profit of £5.4m on Edouard. We've made £5.7m on Aribo, worst case scenario.

So yeah, I get that the £6m fee seems really low, but I do believe this deal will be structured in a way that suits both clubs. If Aribo really struggles, Southampton haven't paid too much. If he does what's expected, we'll get the £10m. If he shines and gets sold on for a profit, we'll get a share of that too. It's a risky one, but as I said earlier in the thread, I think it's a worthwhile risk in this case given how much he helped us make the money we did in Europe.
Agree mate thing is, 3 years ago we put a 10m clause on his last year, how many would have laughed that off, if they heard it when he signed plenty?

It's like Alfie when he signed nobody dreamed we'd get anything even near 10m for him then when Lille make a bid the same people are like "He's worth 20m every day of the week"

The Aribo deal doesn't fit with certain posters narrative. Well they can stew all they want whilst people at the club want to push forward and make money.

It's now widely reported that the fee for Aribo is £6m plus add ons and a sell on clause.

A few posters are taking that as we're only getting £6m when it's impossible to say for certain what the final fee will be.

Where rangers are concerned always assume the worst and you’ll be close.

Looks, it's not what we as fans wanted, but we have to get the first few EPL sales in the bag. Once they trust that players who perform well for us can be superstars for them, they'll all be back for more. Unfortunately, the Tims get the money they do because they've proven reliable to EPL teams. This is us getting the ball rolling for ourselves on that side. In the next window, this 6m up front might make our next sale double what it would've been.

The add ons have to be met first though mate to make it up to 10 million its a guarenteed 6 million

A couple of things to consider. Had we played hard ball & knocked it back & potentially waited for them to come back when it suits them, at the end of August.

We would have been more handcuffed and would have had to consider an inferior offer as the transfer clock is ticking. Also, we hopefully have targets lined up that we can bid for now with extra cash & some wages freed up rather than lose them to another team.

Lastly, without knowing the exact contract I'm looking at it like this - a high % of the time this transfer will be between £8m- £12m depending on how Joe performs - If he doesn't set the world on fire but does reasonably it will be at the lower end, if he does really well and gets another move it could be nearer the higher figure.

Also, most of us really rate Joe as I would imagine the board do. So they could be taking a calculated risk that the add ons & sell on % works in our favour.

You do realise you can’t physically force a player to sign a contract don’t you? If they are offered a good one and don’t want to sign it then there isn’t much we can do about that.

Same thing as the people who seem to think we can force other teams to come in and spend big money on players.
Same with 'if they refuse to sign, then they can rot in the reserves' - nobody has ever explained how they expect to do that then for other players to want to sign.

Also, this getting nervous when players start to enter the last 18 months of their deal needs to stop.

Let's face it, this fabled "model" often mentioned doesn't actually exist. In the context of we don't replace Aribo easily, whenever you desire that we keep a player you are told immediately that you have to get your head around the "buy low sell high" model. If the sale of Aribo for that reported fee is the expression of that model, I think I'll stick with wanting us to hold on to our best players. I hope Kent and Morelos sign extensions and continue as Rangers players, and won't ever be persuaded that a better alternative "model" exists that's better than that.
The model will take time to bear fruit. Bassey for example could/should be sold for a huge profit.

I think another thing we need to accept is that all of the power lies with the players these days. They are way more relaxed running down contracts now.

As a very high profile figure in Scottish football once said - ‘Football is the only industry in the world where laymen think they know better than experienced experts in the industry. They wouldn’t claim to know more than a tradesman, or an accountant or a lawyer’. lol
Unless your a Tim they are tax experts lawyers etc all from there Maws spare bedroom ;)

Why do people always assume that it is down to him alone? If a player and his agent agree to wait for any new discussions, we won`t be told about it. What would have been different if Wilson had gone publicly tonto about it? Could well be that he knew clubs were coming in for Aribo (as we all expected) and the rest, as they do. If e.g. Soton don`t want to pay more for Aribo and the club know his mind is set on the EPL, why stop that piece of transfer when we finance half a dozen or so others with it? Just saying.

Medicine is apparently fair game for that too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back