The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things have swung backwards and forwards all day on this Aribo fee.

Not sure anyone has the right information but if, and it's a big if, we are only getting £6m and £4m on top, subject to meeting certain requirements, it doesn't seem that great a deal.

Of course, even if the remainder is subject to meeting certain targets, it would also depend on how attainable said target are.

Truth is, though, we were always starting from a poor position given he had entered his last year, although the release clause gave us a little bit of leverage.

Is £6 million in today worth more to us than a settled European final goal scorer for the CL qualifiers and then the rest of the season? Hard to argue that it is. The potential for more cash is great, of course, but it still does not swing that balance too far.
If they haven't met the clause it suggests to me that there's not much interest in him and it reinforces that we need the money. That's frustrating enough but the fact we can't get close to the widely publicised amount the paedos got recently for players in their last year is quite infuriating.

There were rumours, but we are all getting emotional not knowing the truth mate.

If one of that group offered 10m unconditionally, it’s hard to believe that Rangers would have ignored it surely ?
The apparent interest of 3 other clubs hasn't led to anything concrete at the end of the day, so who knows how serious it ever was - we could have done with a bidding war!

It looks done now anyway & it's obviously sensible for us to include a sell on, but I honestly find it difficult to see Aribo getting another "upwards" move to say the top 8 - possibly another sideways move if Southampton go down, or he doesn't nail down a regular start, albeit that would still generate a fee.

I hope I'm wrong & he absolutely smashes it, for his sake & ours.

Some people seem to forget we are lucky... We are Rangers fans, most players are not, merely professionals (now aided by mercenary agents) looking for the best deal and most money. That driving force makes managing contracts and weighing up the value of keeping players, who say they are note staying beyond their contract very difficult.

I remember we sort of coerced Godrup to stay for 10 in a row, didn't work.

Why do people always assume that it is down to him alone? If a player and his agent agree to wait for any new discussions, we won`t be told about it. What would have been different if Wilson had gone publicly tonto about it? Could well be that he knew clubs were coming in for Aribo (as we all expected) and the rest, as they do. If e.g. Soton don`t want to pay more for Aribo and the club know his mind is set on the EPL, why stop that piece of transfer when we finance half a dozen or so others with it? Just saying.
He should never have informed the AGM he was “relaxed” about these contract situations. It was a stupid comment which gave the impression all was in order when it clearly isn’t given one of our best players is off for only £6m guaranteed and two others now have less than a year left.

So you’re just assuming add ons aren’t just instalments but performance related, not surprised… Nobody really knows what the add ons are but putting a negative spin on it kind of sums you up as a poster. Ornstein could mean that it could exceed £10 million if he’s sold on but we really won’t know. The club will spend as if they are receiving £10 million.
And no one on here knows what his contract said when he joined us for 300k. Clearly it didn't say Rangers must get £10m cash up front.

The apparent interest of 3 other clubs hasn't led to anything concrete at the end of the day, so who knows how serious it ever was - we could have done with a bidding war!

It looks done now anyway & it's obviously sensible for us to include a sell on, but I honestly find it difficult to see Aribo getting another "upwards" move to say the top 8 - possibly another sideways move if Southampton go down, or he doesn't nail down a regular start, albeit that would still generate a fee.

I hope I'm wrong & he absolutely smashes it, for his sake & ours.

I agree with you BG, we all want him to smash it for himself, and for our club.

Why do people always assume that it is down to him alone? If a player and his agent agree to wait for any new discussions, we won`t be told about it. What would have been different if Wilson had gone publicly tonto about it? Could well be that he knew clubs were coming in for Aribo (as we all expected) and the rest, as they do. If e.g. Soton don`t want to pay more for Aribo and the club know his mind is set on the EPL, why stop that piece of transfer when we finance half a dozen or so others with it? Just saying.
There's a section of our support who are angry wee men and need someone to be angry at all the time.

The problem we have with playing hardball is pissing Aribo off and he sits it out and signs a pre-contract in January.

He is worth, in our eyes, more than £10m, however its worth taking a chance of gettting £6m upfront and more than £4m with addons and sell on fee.
Lots of people playing football manager on here.

We could have accepted offers of 10m for him, & he said nope not interested.

Southampton he does fancy though.. so.

If there is any argument to be made it's surely whether we should have looked to sell last summer.. Although, since this clause was there its a max 10m.. The fee we may well end up with.

The hysteria in this thread has literally hit a new high today.

Briefing he has a £10m release clause, then not hitting that figure but the player going anyway….. bizarre.

Worryingly I get the impression the club think their comms/media/control the narrative strategy is great, when it’s actually worse than the Bain era.

He should never have informed the AGM he was “relaxed” about these contract situations. It was a stupid comment which gave the impression all was in order when it clearly isn’t given one of our best players is off for only £6m guaranteed and two others now have less than a year left.
Should he have answered by saying 'quite frankly, I'm shiting it'?

You do realise you can’t physically force a player to sign a contract don’t you? If they are offered a good one and don’t want to sign it then there isn’t much we can do about that.

Same thing as the people who seem to think we can force other teams to come in and spend big money on players.
You’re either very naive or just prepared to back Wilson regardless.

You can establish with the players 18-24 months out whether they’ll sign a new contract.

If they won’t, you establish what you can get and sell them. That’s easily done by giving the players agents reasonable figures. We could’ve got at least £12m in January, maybe £15m.

Remember this isn’t just Aribo, there’s 3 of them in this position.

Since Wilson’s come in the signings have been poor, sales have been poor (Patterson aside) and new contracts have been handed out to players who should have retired.

His buffoonery in January cost us the league and swung the CL money from our bank to theirs.

What I also find kinda funny is how often we'll say about a player in the last year of their contract "we shouldn't pay over the odds, they'll be available for free in a few months" but we certainly don't expect other clubs to do the same with our players...
Are we comparable to the PL clubs that we are trying to sell to?

We say that because we're the furthest thing from financially flush and can't afford to waste/gamble much £.

Briefing he has a £10m release clause, then not hitting that figure but the player going anyway….. bizarre.

Worryingly I get the impression the club think their comms/media/control the narrative strategy is great, when it’s actually worse than the Bain era.
Getting into bed with the Rangers review and the grass Jordan Campbell from The Athletic won't do them any favours.

It's going to be a long summer listening to same soundbites being repeated over and over again.

You can establish with the players 18-24 months out whether they’ll sign a new contract.

If they won’t, you establish what you can get and sell them. That’s easily done by giving the players agents reasonable figures. We could’ve got at least £12m in January, maybe £15m.

Since Wilson’s come in the signings have been poor, sales have been poor (Patterson aside) and new contracts have been handed out to players who should have retired.

His buffoonery in January cost us the league and swung the CL money from our bank to theirs.
#goldson

If they haven't met the clause it suggests to me that there's not much interest in him and it reinforces that we need the money. That's frustrating enough but the fact we can't get close to the widely publicised amount the paedos got recently for players in their last year is quite infuriating.
There may not be that much interest but also if he says he ain't signing another deal then it's about getting as much as possible and moving on to find the next one

So who was coming in to pay £15m in January? Considering there is hardly a flood of teams battering the door down just now to pay less for him?

As far as we know haven’t had any major bids for any of our top players since Kent/Leeds.

Yeah, maybe he’s actually doing a great job.

Maybe Ramsey and Diallo were great signings.

Maybe we actually made a fortune on Itten.

Maybe Roofe and Helander will never be injured again.

Maybe Allan McGregor will reverse the aging process and become a great keeper again.

Maybe Jack Simpson will become the England captain.

Or maybe Ross Wilson just isn’t that good at his job?

So who was coming in to pay £15m in January? Considering there is hardly a flood of teams battering the door down just now to pay less for him?

As far as we know haven’t had any major bids for any of our top players since Kent/Leeds.
You invite the bids by giving realistic numbers to their agents.

How many bids did Barca get every year for Messi? Bugger all.

But if they’d ever put out a number he’d have been sold in a second.

You invite the bids by giving realistic numbers to their agents.

How many bids did Barca get every year for Messi? Bugger all.

But if they’d ever put out a number he’d have been sold in a second.
That still doesn’t explain then why we haven’t had other teams coming in now offering the £10 release fee upfront. If there could have been a raft of clubs willing to spend £15m only 6 months ago.

People didn’t bid for Messi because he would have been the most expensive player in history at the time and knowing Spanish Clubs he probably had a massive release clause.

For me, the only concern is that cash up front is probably more important for us right now.

£6m compared to jack shit in 10 months isn’t awful, but an extra £2-3m up front is a new player and maybe even a replacement for Morelos or Kent who might leave for nowt.

It’s an odd one where both parties are right for me. We could look back and think £6m wasn’t enough, or we might look back and say it’s a great deal when he plays every game, scores 7 or 8 goals and moves on for £25m.

What I also find kinda funny is how often we'll say about a player in the last year of their contract "we shouldn't pay over the odds, they'll be available for free in a few months" but we certainly don't expect other clubs to do the same with our players...

The 'not paying over the odds' fee was £10m. We've accepted just over half of that.

That still doesn’t explain then why we haven’t had other teams coming in now offering the £10 release fee upfront. If there could have been a raft of clubs willing to spend £15m only 6 months ago.

People didn’t bid for Messi because he would have been the most expensive player in history at the time and knowing Spanish Clubs he probably had a massive release clause.
He was flying in January.

Remember this guy is supposed to be in the position to make things happen. Unearth players for undervalue and sell ours when their value peaks.

Based on your view that he can’t actually be expected to impact anything, what’s the point in him being there?

I've no idea what Aribo will eventually go for, but this is unfortunately further evidence of our inept PR/Comms strategy. We have virtually no pull in media circles in Scotland or beyond and we're consistently left floundering. The board have done a very good job in many aspects of righting the club since 2016, but their approach to communication with fans and media is myopic and counter-productive.

I'll get accused of being a "Wilson fanboy" or some such nonsense with this, but this point reminds me of an interview John Park gave about 9 months ago when talking about the Edouard deal.

"You look at Edouard; £9million. But then you include his wages for a couple of million, and then the sell-on [40 per cent profit on sale to PSG], is that value for money?"

He gave the impression he doesn't believe that sort of deal is worth it, and that he'd be far more driven by finding an Aribo than an Edouard as such. Given the sell on percentage, even if we're ignoring wages and sign on fees and the rest and taking the reported £18m as a factual number (no idea if it was), Celtic made a profit of £5.4m on Edouard. We've made £5.7m on Aribo, worst case scenario.

So yeah, I get that the £6m fee seems really low, but I do believe this deal will be structured in a way that suits both clubs. If Aribo really struggles, Southampton haven't paid too much. If he does what's expected, we'll get the £10m. If he shines and gets sold on for a profit, we'll get a share of that too. It's a risky one, but as I said earlier in the thread, I think it's a worthwhile risk in this case given how much he helped us make the money we did in Europe.
Sorry mate, but you cannot factor Edouard's wages and signing on fee into his profit, then ignore the 3 years of wages we have paid Aribo in order to create equivalence. We paid £2 million for Joe and even on £10k per week £1.5 million in wages (he is probably on at least double that), meaning we are looking at £2.5 million profit.

Conformation bias. They have made their mind up that he's shit and look for anything they can spin to support their opinion.

They won't listen to anything that goes against that, like how we have managed to get Ajax's youth coach as our number 2, or how we are capturing lots of up and coming talent or anything that reflects well on him.

It's the exact same as what people do with Tav, finished top goal scorer in the europa and still had fans saying but he can't defend despite the facts not really backing that up.

That's just shite, and you know it.

He's signed Hagi, Roofe, Bassey, McLaughlin, Balogun, Wright, Sakala, Lundstram, Defoe who have all, to some extent, been important players for us.

There have been misses - Zungu, Bacuna, Itten, Simpson, Kamberi, Ramsey and Diallo.

The rest, the jury remains out on - Zukowski, Sands, Ofoborh, but there is no evidence to say they've been misses.

Of the misses, Bacuna turned us a profit, Itten was a slight loss, Zungu, Kamberi, Ramsey and Diallo were loans.

Like many, I'd take Diallo back for another season as he showed a lot in the last couple of games. Ramsey - if he could have gotten fit, would have been sensational. That's the gamble you take though.

Sales haven't been poor like you suggest - we got 7 figures back for Grezda, plus those mentioned above already, and Patterson was a largely untested reserve player who Wilson got us 16m for.

In fact, the only bot of your post o agree with is that contracts have been given to players who should have retired, but the manager will have had a considerable say in that too, same as he does in who we sign.

Sorry mate, but you cannot factor Edouard's wages and signing on fee into his profit, then ignore the 3 years of wages we have paid Aribo in order to create equivalence. We paid £2 million for Joe and even on £10k per week £1.5 million in wages (he is probably on at least double that), meaning we are looking at £2.5 million profit.
I’ve never seen any evidence of this £2m that we apparently paid for Aribo.

Yeah but what I said is if the ‘new signing’ scores goals and is greedy and takes shots then don’t worry because Kent will assist.
8 assists in SPFL last season 26 games
3 assists in EL last season in 14 games

3, yes 3 goals in those 40 games.

Hardly awe inspiring stats.

Anyway I've spent enough time on this individual today.

Last edited:
For me, the only concern is that cash up front is probably more important for us right now.

£6m compared to jack shit in 10 months isn’t awful, but an extra £2-3m up front is a new player and maybe even a replacement for Morelos or Kent who might leave for nowt.

It’s an odd one where both parties are right for me. We could look back and think £6m wasn’t enough, or we might look back and say it’s a great deal when he plays every game, scores 7 or 8 goals and moves on for £25m.
I'm not even sure this £6m makes much difference to the summer transfers. Which is quite frustrating when you lose one of your best players (which I'm more than happy for us to do when the deal is right) but likely only get 2-3m player in on the back of him leaving, as the board won't release the full 6m.

We still need more, so we need to wait for more sales?

He was flying in January.

Remember this guy is supposed to be in the position to make things happen. Unearth players for undervalue and sell ours when their value peaks.

Based on your view that he can’t actually be expected to impact anything, what’s the point in him being there?
You do know his role isn’t just transfers?

He overseas the entire footballing department which I would say has improved since he came in. Just look at the difference in our Academy, Youth, B Teams now compared to a few years ago. We are beginning to recruit highly rated youngsters into our youth set ups which wasn’t the case before.

We piss all over Celtic at most levels now which wasn’t the case previously. This will benefit the first team as some of these players start to break through and impact the first team or go for profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back