The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In fairness, we've seen both of them set up goals with great passes and score crackers from outside the box too.

And players like Tillman and Lawrence will add to that.
Do you think Lawrence might play a bit deeper beside Lundstram in the 4-2-3-1 or would be deployed as one of two either side him in a 4-3-3?

I rarely watch any English championship at all so don't know the player but he's looked to have a bit of everything in his short time with us so far.

Do you think Lawrence might play a bit deeper beside Lundstram in the 4-2-3-1 or would be deployed as one of two either side him in a 4-3-3?

I rarely watch any English championship at all so don't know the player but he's looked to have a bit of everything in his short time with us so far.

I think it'll be more the former, as such - like on Tuesday, he'll play a little deeper and look to hurt teams with his range of passing. He also makes good runs beyond the striker.

Something I believe we'll try to use in a number of games against teams sitting in deep, when circumstances allow it.

Got Xavi Simon's AND Veerman visiting next week. This place is gonna have a load of 'told you so's" either week over the next few weeks I feel.

The transfer saga's just got some new chapters!

were not playing with an 8 this season so why are people wanting one?

looks to me were more 4-2-3-1 so you want two holding cms in their. Lawrence, Tillman and Hagi will all play that centre role over the season at times.

see this absolute hard on for soeone who can shoot outside the box, does my fucking tits in.

also Lowry will hopefulyl see game time in that role
We don't need 2 sitters in 90% of the games we play, that's the issue.

Lundstram has nailed down the holding role as his own.. a creative player that can get forward and score /assist in beside him is what we need.

There is no need to play 2 of Lundstram, Jack, Davis, Kamara at home to most of the domestic pish we face.

f
We don't need 2 sitters in 90% of the games we play, that's the issue.

Lundstram has nailed down the holding role as his own.. a creative player that can get forward and score /assist in beside him is what we need.

There is no need to play 2 of Lundstram, Jack, Davis, Kamara at home to most of the domestic pish we face.

If we use our fullbacks more, which Gio i felt held back at times last season, then having two sitters is definetely needed

We clearly value Fashion Jr at a good bit more than Burnley were prepared/able to pay.

there were no discussions had with Rangers as it was clear it would take a bid beyond their limits to alter Rangers’ stance.

Maybe their bid was closer to the £2m as a start point, with the rest being add-ons?
Should have strung them along until last minute of window then done a Vydra on them.

£4m for Sakala isn't worth it. We're in a position where we don't need to sell if we don't want, or unless a silly offer comes in. Sakala is good for ~15-20 goal contributions a season (as in, goals and assists) that's worth way more than £4m.

It's clear Good doesn't want us to have individual talisman when it comes to goals. We won't have 1 or 2 strikers with 25+ goals a season, instead we well 6 or 7 players from all over the park with 10-15 goals a season. Sakala absolutely can have a part to play in that kind of setup.
I think you're forgetting the fact that, by the looks of it he'll be playing even less than last season.
- Gio doesn't fancy him
- Colak, Tillman& Matondo ahead of him in the attacking positions he could play

Thats
I think you're forgetting the fact that, by the looks of it he'll be playing even less than last season.
- Gio doesn't fancy him
- Colak, Tillman& Matondo ahead of him in the attacking positions he could play
That's fair, but it's worth remembering we are very early on in the season. Once we get into the midst of 2 games a week, injuries, squad rotation etc I think he will definitely get a decent amount of game time

f

If we use our fullbacks more, which Gio i felt held back at times last season, then having two sitters is definetely needed
I don't agree.. not against the pish we face most weeks.

Hate to say it but that lot got it spot on last season.. 1 'sitter' with the rest attacking the diddy teams.

They scored more goals and conceded less.

Teams don't come to Ibrox to attack or keep possession.. they come to survive for as long as they can.

We should counter that by showing them absolutely no respect.

Hate to say it but that lot got it spot on last season.. 1 'sitter' with the rest attacking the diddy teams.

Teams don't come to Ibrox to attack or keep possession.. they come to survive for as long as they can.

100%

We're far too passive against the absolute guff we face some weeks. No reason we shouldn't be steamrolling a lot of teams.

I slightly disagree in that I don't feel they use their full backs in the way we ask ours to play.

What a lot of teams are starting to do, and they're the first up here to really implement it, is use their full backs as extra cover in midfield to protect a team from counter attacks. Taylor and Juranovic step in centrally for them when they're building from the back, whereas we ask Tavernier and Barisic to get wider.

As much as they get forward a bit, you don't see situations where Taylor is putting in a cross and it's their right back in the 6 yard box waiting on it. They don't push them on quite as much as we do with ours so as to provide a little extra cover.

Our approach has been to play two defensive-minded midfielders to do that instead of the full backs. When Gio first came in, he tried to play Barisic and Tavernier a bit more conservatively and it didn't really work for us.

Even on Tuesday, with Lawrence playing in midfield and getting forward more, we saw that Barisic held back somewhat as there was nowhere for him to find space in the forward areas. There comes a point when you can have just too many players in the same area and they get in the way of each other.

I slightly disagree in that I don't feel they use their full backs in the way we ask ours to play.

What a lot of teams are starting to do, and they're the first up here to really implement it, is use their full backs as extra cover in midfield to protect a team from counter attacks. Taylor and Juranovic step in centrally for them when they're building from the back, whereas we ask Tavernier and Barisic to get wider.

As much as they get forward a bit, you don't see situations where Taylor is putting in a cross and it's their right back in the 6 yard box waiting on it. They don't push them on quite as much as we do with ours so as to provide a little extra cover.

Our approach has been to play two defensive-minded midfielders to do that instead of the full backs. When Gio first came in, he tried to play Barisic and Tavernier a bit more conservatively and it didn't really work for us.

Even on Tuesday, with Lawrence playing in midfield and getting forward more, we saw that Barisic held back somewhat as there was nowhere for him to find space in the forward areas. There comes a point when you can have just too many players in the same area and they get in the way of each other.

exactly, that is nonesense about their fullbacks. go check their assists and goals scored for a start. Celtic use theirs as inverted fullbacks.

celtics system is different to ours, we didnt lose the league because their system is better...

As you said Tav and Barisic were far more defensive at the start, i think hes learnt from in and they will be forward more this season, plus a natural CAM like tillman or Lawrence shoudl give us more in the final third

exactly, that is nonesense about their fullbacks. go check their assists and goals scored for a start. Celtic use theirs as inverted fullbacks.

celtics system is different to ours, we didnt lose the league because their system is better...

As you said Tav and Barisic were far more defensive at the start, i think hes learnt from in and they will be forward more this season, plus a natural CAM like tillman or Lawrence shoudl give us more in the final third
I understand their full back play a different role to ours but they are still forward minded.

We can agree to disagree but there's nothing worse than watching watching Lundtram & Jack for example trying to break down a packed defence from deep.

Both are not needed against the likes of Killie, St Johnstone, St Mirren etc.

There's literally nothing for both of them to cover.

Kamara also scored from outside the box against Benfica, Motherwell and Livi from memory.

Jack scored away to Motherwell and Hamilton from outside the box. Possibly, but I'm not sure, one of the goals against Ross County as well.

And those are just from memory, others may remember some I'm forgetting.

My recollection was that both Ross County were outside the box that day ?

100%

We're far too passive against the absolute guff we face some weeks. No reason we shouldn't be steamrolling a lot of teams.
I agree with you but in my time following rangers I think I can remember 1 season where we hammered everyone and that was 55.

I agree with you but in my time following rangers I think I can remember 1 season where we hammered everyone and that was 55.

And even in that season almost half our league game wins were decided by a one-goal margin.

Edit - made a mistake, as detailed below.

Last edited:
Im surprised at that but just shows you how tight the run of the mill games are for us and it emphasises my point !

Actually, I was just about to edit it as I made a mistake - 11 of our wins were by 1 goal margins and we had 6 draws, so what I should have said was that almost half of our league games (17 from 38) were tight scoreline-wise.

Apologies!

And even in that season almost half our league game wins were decided by a one-goal margin.

Edit - made a mistake, as detailed below.
I’ll never forget the nerve shredding grinds in that season like hibs at home on Boxing Day hagis winner. Motherwell at home big Itten.

It was only after we began to pull away in January after beating them at Ibrox I started to feel we’d do it. What a feeling.

I still don’t think we celebrated or rubbed that into them enough.

Thought after beating USG the other night we'd maybe try and add a player for the game against PSV but that's looking unlikely now.

Huge amount of money on the line plus the benefit of not having to play Thursday/Sunday in the league which is a major disadvantage to us playing catch-up every weekend.

Hope it's something we don't regret after making a £22m profit on player trading and the parachute payment even without CL football.

Thought after beating USG the other night we'd maybe try and add a player for the game against PSV but that's looking unlikely now.

Huge amount of money on the line plus the benefit of not having to play Thursday/Sunday in the league which is a major disadvantage to us playing catch-up every weekend.

Hope it's something we don't regret after making a £22m profit on player trading and the parachute payment even without CL football.
Squad had to be registered by midnight, although you can add up to two wildcards by midnight the day before the 1st leg.

We won't be doing so though I imagine.

Even if we signed someone the day after the game they'd be unlikely to be anywhere near full fitness/sharpness by the time we played, and would only have a handful of training sessions with a completely new manager and team before being thrown into the biggest game of our season. Don't think that was ever a possibility tbh.

Even Yilmaz who's been here a few weeks now is looking unlikely to play a major part.

Katic should get a decent move I’m sure we will get our money back and hopefully include a sell on as well. Then again, he’s OOC next summer.

I’m surprised he’s not away already, to be honest.

Katic should get a decent move I’m sure we will get our money back and hopefully include a sell on as well. Then again, he’s OOC next summer.

Get the feeling we're willing to play a bit more hardball with guys like Katic rather than just being happy to get him off the books. Can see him going later in the window.

Then you need to negotiate a deal and try and integrate them in less than a week - all for a single tie. We've got all the squad we need to qualify for Europe - just need to hope the team turn up on the night.

were not playing with an 8 this season so why are people wanting one?

looks to me were more 4-2-3-1 so you want two holding cms in their. Lawrence, Tillman and Hagi will all play that centre role over the season at times.

see this absolute hard on for soeone who can shoot outside the box, does my fucking tits in.

also Lowry will hopefulyl see game time in that role
Isje, we don't play with an 8 mate, as we don't have one. No idea if Gio wants to play with an 8 but for me having a box-box 8, provides us with more options.

Agreed, we play 4-2-3-1 but the double pivot, can be a bit defensive, especially at home, against weaker teams, that have 10 behind the ball, why play two sixes.
There is definitely a need for the two sixes, against better teams, away in Europe, some away games in the league, where the opponents are on it from the first whistle 100mph stuff and we are struggling to match them for intensity, we have all witnessed these games in the past.

We also have went 4-1-4-1, when chasing games and again that is good.

But having a genuine box-box 8, (swapped out for one of the sixes) bursting forward, committing opposition players out of their defensive shape, opening spaces for others, providing more numbers in the box, gives us a whole new dimension to our play.
It's more attacking than the double pivot but less wide open than the 4-1-4-1.

Regarding shooting outside the box, am with you on that. Stats show the amount of shots taken outside the box, do not align with goals scored, most of the best younger managers, now push this theory.
Not against shooting totally but only when it really opens up and lands well for the attacker.

I was debating the point with regards the player mentioned, Reijnders.

Using transfermarkt, Kamara scored 4 goals and had 4 assists last season. Reijnders scored 6 goals and had 2 assists.

My point was that we too often dismiss what our players do as someone else would be the new, shiney thing we haven't seen the weaknesses in yet. Reijnders may very well be a cracking player, but so is Glen Kamara.

Goalscoring number 8s are hard to find, the demand outstrips the supply I reckon.

I get the point you're trying to make, but you can't use that.

That's the highest number of goals Kamara had ever scored in a season, and typically he doesn't shoot at all.

Kamara rarely has 4 shots in a season, nevermind goals.

Isje, we don't play with an 8 mate, as we don't have one. No idea if Gio wants to play with an 8 but for me having a box-box 8, provides us with more options.

Agreed, we play 4-2-3-1 but the double pivot, can be a bit defensive, especially at home, against weaker teams, that have 10 behind the ball, why play two sixes.
There is definitely a need for the two sixes, against better teams, away in Europe, some away games in the league, where the opponents are on it from the first whistle 100mph stuff and we are struggling to match them for intensity, we have all witnessed these games in the past.

We also have went 4-1-4-1, when chasing games and again that is good.

But having a genuine box-box 8, (swapped out for one of the sixes) bursting forward, committing opposition players out of their defensive shape, opening spaces for others, providing more numbers in the box, gives us a whole new dimension to our play.
It's more attacking than the double pivot but less wide open than the 4-1-4-1.

Regarding shooting outside the box, am with you on that. Stats show the amount of shots taken outside the box, do not align with goals scored, most of the best younger managers, now push this theory.
Not against shooting totally but only when it really opens up and lands well for the attacker.

i dont think we require that number 8 when we have lawrence or tillman in a 4-2-3-1 in domestic games aslong as we commit our fullbacks forward alot more.

Kamara in the 2 alongside Lundstram pushing slighlty further forward imo would work.

tbf maybe that no8 would be better in Europe for us playing in a 4-3-3

Sell Sakala and Katic and get the likes of Kelly and McCrorie out on loan and hopefully we will be able to bring in one more player of real quality, especially if we qualify for the CL.

A midfielder to play alongside Lundstram would be my choice, somebody that can play forward into the final third. Somebody like Billy Gilmour would be perfect if a bit out of our reach.
If we sold Sakala for £3M, got around £1M for Katic and Kelly combined with the £5M payment for getting through to the next round, we could afford Gilmour (or someone like him, maybe the Romanian midfielder) and we might not have to spend it all. We would also be able to sell them in a few years for profit.

I have in idea how the sheep would not go for Katic he would be great signing for them. Don’t get me wrong I don’t want them to get better but they pulled in enough money to be adding someone who could do the siege defending needed. 2 mill

If we are giving up on Sakala...might as well also give up on Wright.
I don't feel like Sakala has had enough chances to grow into the Jersey.

Wright has featured a lot more and still plays like he's a wee boy in a man's game.

We do have some odd signings in recent years. Stewart, Simpson, these two where they don't really get started here then the calls come to move them on.

I don't feel like Sakala has had enough chances to grow into the Jersey.

Wright has featured a lot more and still plays like he's a wee boy in a man's game.

We do have some odd signings in recent years. Stewart, Simpson, these two where they don't really get started here then the calls come to move them on.
I think Simpson and Wright were Gerrard signings, where he just wanted anyone extra he could get. Sakala more RW due to playing in Belgium, decent signing because he scored and assisted for us and is able to be sold for a decent amount.
No idea with Stewart, he was a free transfer I think so I assume it was Gerrard saying just get him, I actually liked Greg Stewart but was definitely surplus to requirements, his stats in India are daft - 10 goals 10 assists in 21 games, most from attacking midfield

The "just hope they turn out good" signings with obviously little research done, like Wright, Simpson, Hastie, Barker, maybe even Ramsey could be in this list due to the injury problem at time of signing, these have mostly been stinkers. Players like Aribo clearly had research into them because he went right into the first team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back